Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Platinum Extras Awards Update (eliminated 31Dec12)

Platinum Extras Awards Update (eliminated 31Dec12)

Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
This is a straight up devaluation of this level of the program. Not only were the Plt Extras a nice incremental reminder of loyalty, they provided an incentive for an extra stay or two. The ability to redeem the award for points (recently, easy to do on-line) became a nice way to ease the loss of G bonuses.

I am offended by Hyatt's logic. Because "more than 75% of the awards earned by Platinum members were never redeemed" speaks more to how cumbersome it was to redeem the Platinum Extras for anything other than extra points. So, therefore, Hyatt is saying "because we made these benefits so difficult to redeem, we are going to discontinue them and you won't miss them."

I wish Hyatt success in its obsession with the credit card product, to the detriment of the traditional component of its frequent guest program.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The thread title needs an update. Perhaps someone could alert the mods to edit the thread title to be a more accurate reflection of this topic?
+ 1

At least Mr. Zidell (or his rep) had the courage to come to FlyerTalk to give the devaluation news masked as an update. I do hope the Mods have the courage to see through the spin and rename this and other threads appropriately.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, SW A-List, Hyatt PL
I got this in my email today.

After December 31, 2012, Hyatt Gold Passport® will no longer offer Platinum Extras Awards as a benefit of Platinum membership. Platinum members will still earn a Platinum Extras Award after every third eligible stay at a Hyatt hotel this year. As always, you will have 90 days to redeem your award(s). For answers to frequently asked questions related to this benefit change, please visit hyatt.com.
Looks like about half of the posts in this thread are off topic.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Scandalrag
I got this in my email today.

Looks like about half of the posts in this thread are off topic.
this year = 2012. After 1st Jan 2013, no award at all...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Very disappointing. If this isn't replaced with another benefit, Starwood will earn my 2013 travel.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:25 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I get an uneasy feeling when any FF Program makes a major announcement, i.e. they're eliminating a benefit, and they only give a few (21) days' notice.

Still, on the bright side, at least they announced it at the end of the year, just before all the counters revert to zero. If you're gonna betray your loyal customers, at least have the class to do it so that nobody loses any previously banked points or partially earned credits. Also, it's nice when you can alienate your customers at the end of a year so that they have a good opportunity to jump ship to a new program in the new year.

Having said all that, I'm gonna go ahead and stay with Hyatt for 2013, however it really REALLY makes me nervous that they only gave 21 days notice. Even though this particular benefit does not affect me, it still seems proper to give more than 21 days notice. It makes me wonder how much notice they'll Not Give Next Time. Silence implies approval. I hope this message breaks the silence.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Dec 11, 2012 at 5:06 am
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamo... Globalist
I'm very disappointing in this award removal. Platinum status with Hyatt doesn't give me many benefits except for the Platinum certificates and the 2pm checkout. I've used the certificates 85% of the time and the 2pm checkout only twice, nothing else in the program is very beneficial.

The confirmed room benefit is a joke, if there is hi demand they don't guarantee a room so what is the point of that one. I'm looking to move my stays to Hilton for the upcoming year unless something comes in to replace the platinum certificates.

EVERYONE who is Platinum, and Diamond for that matter, better start using their confirmed late checkout options or those will get cut from the program according to Jeff's thinking.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
It's a shame that Hyatt is discontinuing this benefit. It incentivized me to book extra stays at Hyatts. Without some good extra points promos, I will have to re-think my 2013 hotel strategy after I lose my Diamond status on March 1.

This move is probably going to drive me to upgrade my Hilton credit card to the $95/year which will buy me HH Gold status. (I haven't done that, because I've been booking my stays at Hyatts.) Now, since I won't hit 25 stays or 50 nights, after my 5 Hyatt stays I can take advantage of my Hilton Gold benefits.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Glad I did not even bother to get the Platinum status since all I would get is free internet. Woo hoo. I still like Hyatt but the rewards program is certainly not a motivator anymore unless you make Diamond.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:24 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by coastalguy
Very disappointing. If this isn't replaced with another benefit, Starwood will earn my 2013 travel.
I will drop to Hyatt Platinum for next year as I shifted my stays back to Starwood. This gutting of the Platinum level makes me wonder if I will even try to retain Hyatt Platinum. I will, however, enjoy SPG Platinum instead. Too bad, GP WAS such a great program. Hyatt's loss = Starwood's Gain
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
. . . I still like Hyatt but the rewards program is certainly not a motivator anymore unless you make Diamond.
Which program is a motivator at the second tier?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by J. Zidell, VP Hyatt Gold Passport
Dear FlyerTalkers,

After a thorough evaluation, we concluded that Platinum Extras did not provide a significant enhancement to the Hyatt experience; in fact, more than 75% of the awards earned by Platinum members were never redeemed.
I suppose I was the 25% who did find the certificates an enhancement to the Hyatt experience.

I liked to use them on the welcome amenity. While some hotels handled the amenity differently, it was always a nice treat after a long day of traveling.

This is disappointing, they should really re-consider.

Last edited by updawg; Dec 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Well, if you really want to get technical GP Platinum is first tier.

HH Gold is second tier and includes decent benefits.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:32 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Hilton Gold. Gives free breakfast, free Internet and also access to VIP awards.

Can be attained thru just 4 stays with a challenge if needed as well.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, SW A-List, Hyatt PL
It's not no award at all

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
this year = 2012. After 1st Jan 2013, no award at all...
I'll have about 10 stays in 2013. So instead of getting 4 awards, I'll get 3, and the one I don't get will be the paper cert that never posted right and required additional spend to get what I wanted which was miles. I'm not seeing much of a devaluation here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.