Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Suite Upgrades - Post Sticker Expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."

I tried searching and couldnt find the answer....

I'm looking at booking a trip to Europe next year post Feb 28th 2013, and I was curious with a booking that far out how one could use diamond suite upgrades on paid stays.

Can they be extended? Can they reserve the room in anticipation of your "stickers" clearing on March 1st?

Im curious on how this border-in-time is handled. Or do I just need to call on March 1st to see if they can clear them then?

--Red--
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
if you have current ones in your account they can be used for post feb stays.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, United 1K
+1. certificates can be applied to reservations beyond their expiration date. The only catch is that if you cancel the reservation AFTER the expiry date, your certificate will no longer be valid to be used for another booking.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:18 pm

also, with diamond suite upgrades, it's always a good idea to secure them as far in advance as possible. What I typically do is book a cancellable rate (if you're a costco member, try the costco rate as it's always as good or better than the advance purchase rate but can be cancelled -- if it's available), apply the diamond cert (assuming, again, that it's available) and then monitor the rates. Once you are sure you will be making the trip, if you find an advanced purchase rate that's lower than the cancellable rate, call or Tweet @hyattconcierge and ask them to change your reservation to a pre-paid rate to save some $$. your upgrade will not be affected.

good luck!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by publicrelasian
also, with diamond suite upgrades, it's always a good idea to secure them as far in advance as possible. What I typically do is book a cancellable rate (if you're a costco member, try the costco rate as it's always as good or better than the advance purchase rate but can be cancelled -- if it's available), apply the diamond cert (assuming, again, that it's available) and then monitor the rates. Once you are sure you will be making the trip, if you find an advanced purchase rate that's lower than the cancellable rate, call or Tweet @hyattconcierge and ask them to change your reservation to a pre-paid rate to save some $$. your upgrade will not be affected.

good luck!
I thought if you were using Diamond suite upgrade certs for a stay after their expiration date, any change to the reservation would void their use for an upgrade. So how can you change the rate on your reservation without losing the use of the suite upgrade cert?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist

good luck!
Are all Costco rates qualifying for stay credit and promos?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I thought if you were using Diamond suite upgrade certs for a stay after their expiration date, any change to the reservation would void their use for an upgrade. So how can you change the rate on your reservation without losing the use of the suite upgrade cert?
I have recently had rates changed without changing the reservation itself (ie, reservation No. remains the same) by calling the hotel directly (Osaka and Kyoto). But those are both hotels that I frequently stay at; don't know if other locations would be so accommodating, but it is definitely possible for the hotel to do it, and that should keep the upgrade intact. Diamond desk or Res Center probably CAN do it, but the question is WILL they do it for you. I certainly would not try changing the rate on Hyatt.com and expect the reservation to remain intact.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I have recently had rates changed without changing the reservation itself (ie, reservation No. remains the same) by calling the hotel directly (Osaka and Kyoto). But those are both hotels that I frequently stay at; don't know if other locations would be so accommodating, but it is definitely possible for the hotel to do it, and that should keep the upgrade intact. Diamond desk or Res Center probably CAN do it, but the question is WILL they do it for you. I certainly would not try changing the rate on Hyatt.com and expect the reservation to remain intact.
+1

Done it before too.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
+1

Done it before too.
An update on changing rates without changing reservation No. I had previously booked 9 nights at Hyatt London The Churchill for next April at a rate of 198 GBP+ Vat for the first 7 nights and 180 for the last 2 nights, as that was the best combination I could work out. I've been checking regularly hoping for a rate of 180 for the entire stay, and today found a combination of 198 for the first 2 nights and 180 for the last 7 nights. Called Hyatt Res Center in Tokyo (no Diamond Desk here) and they changed the rates without changing the res. No. I'm pretty sure that doing it this way would keep the diamond suite upgrade intact even if it had expired, since the reservation is essentially unchanged, just the rate.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by rfrost

Yes. My stays this year have all been Costco rates and they qualify.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by rfrost
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you cancel the stay BEFORE the certificate expires, they get deposited back to your account intact. It only becomes void if you cancel the reservation AFTER the expiration date.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:26 am

If you cancel the stay BEFORE the certificate expires, they get deposited back to your account intact. It only becomes void if you cancel the reservation AFTER the expiration date.
The rates and the certificate upgrades are separate. I've always had @hyattconcierge take care of both the upgrade request and any rate change. They've been able to apply rate changes (from a higher refundable rate to a lower prepaid rate) while keeping the upgrade intact. You just need to remind them you have a confirmed suite upgrade. An official "reservation change" email is typically issues after the change.

Ps. Ive even had a higher prepaid rate changed to a lower prepaid rate (in the form of a credit back to my credit card) AFTER the stay is completed.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:27 pm

The rates and the certificate upgrades are separate. I've always had @hyattconcierge take care of both the upgrade request and any rate change. They've been able to apply rate changes (from a higher refundable rate to a lower prepaid rate) while keeping the upgrade intact. You just need to remind them you have a confirmed suite upgrade. An official "reservation change" email is typically issues after the change.

Ps. Ive even had a higher prepaid rate changed to a lower prepaid rate (in the form of a credit back to my credit card) AFTER the stay is completed.
It is probably even possible to make a DATE change in the reservation while keeping the upgrade, since I've made date adjustments while keeping the same reservation No.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
It is probably even possible to make a DATE change in the reservation while keeping the upgrade, since I've made date adjustments while keeping the same reservation No.
This would, of course, be conditional on suite availability at the time.

But, if it were possible to do this, couldn't you avoid ever having to lose a suite upgrade by simply extending the reservation further and further into the future, theoretically doing this for years, until such time as you could claim it?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
This would, of course, be conditional on suite availability at the time.

But, if it were possible to do this, couldn't you avoid ever having to lose a suite upgrade by simply extending the reservation further and further into the future, theoretically doing this for years, until such time as you could claim it?
I guess that would depend on how cooperative the Reservation Center (or hotel direction or the concierge here on FT or whoever was doing the change for you) was. I was more specifically thinking of my own plans for next April in which I have adjusted dates by a few days a couple of times and also changed the length of stay with no change in the res. No. Of course my upgrades are still valid. I think that the Res Center would be less cooperative if someone were to try to make a major date change with an expired upgrade and still try to keep it, but maybe they would be flexible for a change of a few days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.