Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Reservation converted to Non-Refundable by Hyatt with no advance notice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold

I booked a stay for late December back in February 2012.
The hotel "converted" my booking from standard to "non refundable,non-modifiable".
I was never informed about this "change" and saw it under my Hyatt account by accident. I called Hyatt GP but they said that I should talk to the hotel manager.

The original reservation confirmation clearly states
CANCELLATION POLICY: CANCEL BY 3PM EST 24 HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

When I go to Hyatt.com I see - Cancellation Policy: Non Refundable/Full Prepayment/No Changes

I need to modify my reservations and new your 2 cents about how to approach the manager?

P.S. My guess about why the hotel made the booking non-refundable is because the hotel was selected to become an official college football bowl hotel over the summer.

RM

Last edited by Rumeli; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:18 pm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
What really matters are the terms under which you originally booked the reservation. Your original confirmation email should list the cancellation policy; that's what you will go by, regardless of what your reservation now says. No credit card company will uphold any penalties if you can show that you cancelled within the terms of the original reservation.

Bear in mind that even if the terms of your original reservation allow you to cancel without penalty, any modifications to your reservation might be subject to current availability and policies.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Bear in mind that even if the terms of your original reservation allow you to cancel without penalty, any modifications to your reservation might be subject to current availability and policies.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your clarification.
I guess that means that if I modify my original reservation then the NEW modified reservation becomes NON Refundable.

RM
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Rumeli
I guess that means that if I modify my original reservation then the NEW modified reservation becomes NON Refundable.
Correct, it really depends on the type of change you want to make. If you simply want to update the estimated arrival time, make a special request in the comments, or (in most cases) even change the number of guests from 1 to 2, that won't make any difference.

But if you change the dates, the confirmed bed type, or something else that affects the rate and/or is subject to current availability, then the new terms (including any cancellation penalty) will almost certainly apply.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:57 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hello Rumeli!

I would be happy to assist you with your booking and any questions you might have. If you would please PM me your details?

Thank you!

Dana M.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.