Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Suggestion..Give stay/night credit for every room paid for

Old May 6, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I hate that if I make a reservation for 2 rooms and pay for both and have them under my account, that I get POINTS for both, but not stay/night credit. I mean, if I book 2 rooms for 3 nights each simultaneously, they are both under my account and I pay for them. It is the same thing giving me 2 stays/6 nights, as opposed to creating a second account for my friend/family, who I pull into the Hyatt with me, and giving them 1 stay/3 nights. This year alone I have a 3 night stay where I booked a second room for family that I am paying for under my account and a 6 night stay with friends.

I don't see why I should get the points but not the 2 stays and 9 room nights. I am still bringing in the business by booking them at Hyatt, which they would not do but for me, and I pay for it, so I should get credited for it. Also, the same amount of "stays and nights" are being distributed into the system overall.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
I hate that if I make a reservation for 2 rooms and pay for both and have them under my account, that I get POINTS for both, but not stay/night credit. I mean, if I book 2 rooms for 3 nights each simultaneously, they are both under my account and I pay for them. It is the same thing giving me 2 stays/6 nights, as opposed to creating a second account for my friend/family, who I pull into the Hyatt with me, and giving them 1 stay/3 nights. This year alone I have a 3 night stay where I booked a second room for family that I am paying for under my account and a 6 night stay with friends.

I don't see why I should get the points but not the 2 stays and 9 room nights. I am still bringing in the business by booking them at Hyatt, which they would not do but for me, and I pay for it, so I should get credited for it. Also, the same amount of "stays and nights" are being distributed into the system overall.
kinda like if you stay for 3 consecutive nights, one should get 3 stay credits?

probably not going to happen, at least it hasn't happened in any chain programs that i know of...
Old May 6, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

No I agree one stay should be one stay despite how long it is. However, if I pay for and occupy 2 rooms, I should get 2 rooms worth of stay and night credits. Like I said, if I book and pay for a room for friends or family under my account, the stay and night credits are "lost" basically. I get points, but no one is given credit for the occupation of the room for X nights. I don't see why I should not get credit for that. I mean, if you pay for and occupy 50 room nights total, you get Diamond. If I pay for 2 rooms for 25 nights each and my sister stays in the other while we vacation together, I get points for 50 room nights, but no one gets the stay or room credits for the second room, even though I paid for both. Why should I not get them, since I have spent the same amount and given Hyatt the same business required to get X status.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
No I agree one stay should be one stay despite how long it is. However, if I pay for and occupy 2 rooms, I should get 2 rooms worth of stay and night credits. Like I said, if I book and pay for a room for friends or family under my account, the stay and night credits are "lost" basically. I get points, but no one is given credit for the occupation of the room for X nights. I don't see why I should not get credit for that. I mean, if you pay for and occupy 50 room nights total, you get Diamond. If I pay for 2 rooms for 25 nights each and my sister stays in the other while we vacation together, I get points for 50 room nights, but no one gets the stay or room credits for the second room, even though I paid for both. Why should I not get them, since I have spent the same amount and given Hyatt the same business required to get X status.
because you are not actually occupying the second room .

it is what it is...

so just for kicks, if your suggestion is implemented... then hyatt raises the diamond qualification requirements, i'm sure there will be riots over that as well...
Old May 6, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
I agree with OP

These are Loyalty programs - what's more loyal than bringing company with you? I directly "influence" hundreds of room nights per year, but get no credit of any kind for it - shouldn't Hyatt (or Starwood, or Hilton) want me to bring that business to their properties?

The first chain that gives me full credit for all rooms booked by me will get the bulk of my hotel business. Yes, Dianond qualification requirements will go up - won't matter because I would be in the hundreds of stays and nights, doubt it will go that high.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As always the problem comes down to the silly stays/nights criteria for elite status. Just like airlines don't want to allow frequent flyers to rack up tons of EQMs by buying 2 (or more) seats on the same low-cpm flight, hotels don't want to allow "abuse" by giving their guests the opportunity to rack up tons of stays/nights by buying multiple rooms when cheap room rates are available.

And as usual, a switch to a revenue-based system eliminates this problem.

Last edited by gengar; May 6, 2012 at 10:39 pm
Old May 7, 2012, 10:19 am
Original Poster

I disagree with the idea that requirements have to go up.

Scenario 1: Person A books a room for 50 nights, giving Hyatt 50 room nights. 50 total room nights of "credit" are given out into the system. Person A earns Diamond.

Scenario 2: Person A books a room for 25 nights. They then convince Person B, who is vacationing with them, to stay at the Hyatt as well. Person A books the 2nd room under their name. Person A gets 25 nights and 25 nights credit for Person B's room (who does not travel enough or care about the credit). 50 total room nights of credit are given into the system. Person A gets Diamond, Person B still gets ZERO credit.

Scenario 3: Just like #2, but Person B takes their room credit by booking it in their name. Neither person gets Diamond, and 50 nights of "credit" are still handed out.

What is the problem with #2? Seriously? I think the counter argument is terribly weak. No more credit is given out than would normally be, Hyatt receives the same amount of business, the same amount of revenue and the same amount of occupied room nights. Are those not supposed to the WHOLE POINT of a LOYALTY program? Basically as it stands now, the hotel chain benefits by getting you to bring in other guests and gives out no room credit for it, other than the points. This is just accepted, but it should not be that way logically. Who cares who gets the room credit? Either 1 person gets all the credit, or multiple people get smaller credits, but the overall credit given is the same.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Nice way to make the logic fit your purpose.... Now convince me that Hyatt won't be the loser in your proposal (especially since the 2nd room will probably be booked whatever the rule, and you do get the points). And then continue with why award nights should count, why stays longer than x the nights should count as multiple stays, etc.

For everything you could find some logic. And for us as customers they would be beneficial, but there's always a loser with these changes....
Old May 7, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RTW1
Nice way to make the logic fit your purpose.... Now convince me that Hyatt won't be the loser in your proposal (especially since the 2nd room will probably be booked whatever the rule, and you do get the points). And then continue with why award nights should count, why stays longer than x the nights should count as multiple stays, etc.

For everything you could find some logic. And for us as customers they would be beneficial, but there's always a loser with these changes....
Don't get stuck on thinking that for someone to win, someone else must lose. The best business deals are win-win, just like the best marriages.

I'll only add that another category of nights that should get stay credit and points are no-shows.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does any chain give an extra credit for second room? This would impact their qualification/benefits status distribution curve with easier qualification.

The idea gives a huge advantage to any kind of event organizers - one small meeting for 25 guests and you are an instant diamond. Or perhaps more senior emloyees traveling with junior staff and booking several rooms.

Btw I often book another room for kids these days so i dont mind capping additional credit at two
Old May 7, 2012, 1:03 pm

I agree. If you pay for two rooms, you should get credited the nights for both.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1

1) There are many personal cases where I have planned trips with friends and family and we stayed at Hyatts because I wanted to, not because they were the cheapest or necessarily over all best option. In those cases, those people would DEFINITELY NOT have stayed at Hyatts as they were not the cheapest option, so Hyatt gains stays they would not otherwise have. Giving me credit for the stays that the other parties are not going to claim only gives me more incentive to drive more business to Hyatt. They don't lose, they win. It is indisputable.

2) Award nights are credited by some other chains, so I don't see why they should not count. I spend points, which are still a different type of currency, so why should I not get credit? They are still a liability for Hyatt due to their value and they have taxable value, so when I spend them, they should count. I did not argue for this, but since you are bringing up awards...

3) I have never and wouldn't argue that over X days should be more than 1 stay. That is why the X nights requirement is in place. if you stay 50 nights straight, you get Diamond with 1 stay. There is no need to modify the stay to night ratio. I am not sure why people are trying to use completely unrelated arguments to disagree with my argument.

Originally Posted by azepine00
Does any chain give an extra credit for second room? This would impact their qualification/benefits status distribution curve with easier qualification.

The idea gives a huge advantage to any kind of event organizers - one small meeting for 25 guests and you are an instant diamond. Or perhaps more senior emloyees traveling with junior staff and booking several rooms.

Btw I often book another room for kids these days so i dont mind capping additional credit at two
Honestly, the same argument comes up. If you are planning an event and the idea of getting Diamond status is a lure for you, and that causes you to bring a Hyatt 50 room nights, why not give you the status? Obviously, this has to be the same as I described, where only 1 person gets ANY credit, thereby keeping the overall influx of stay/night credit the same. If that person brings in that business for that reason, then they have still EARNED the status. The whole point of the status is to bring in a certain level of business.

Last edited by antonius66; May 7, 2012 at 1:44 pm
Old May 7, 2012, 2:11 pm

I agree that both rooms should get credit. A similar situation occurred with me when I ws doing my Marriot gold challenge. My wife was going on a business trip and asked to apply my member number to the stay. They originally said no, but she said that was the only reason she was staying there and would go somewhere else and they relented. Actually they also upgraded her to a suite !!

If I stay at a Hyatt and bring family and need two rooms, I should get credit for any rooms I pay for , because I am the reason they are there
Old May 7, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jimi727
I agree that both rooms should get credit. A similar situation occurred with me when I ws doing my Marriot gold challenge. My wife was going on a business trip and asked to apply my member number to the stay. They originally said no, but she said that was the only reason she was staying there and would go somewhere else and they relented. Actually they also upgraded her to a suite !!

If I stay at a Hyatt and bring family and need two rooms, I should get credit for any rooms I pay for , because I am the reason they are there
both rooms do get credit..... point-wise.

imho, loyalty programs are for individual travelers... the proposal is like asking frequent flyer programs to let "purchasers" accrue miles (rdm and eqm) for other passengers' tickets (i understand some airlines have the family accrual thing going on, but none on US-based airlines). heck, if that was the case, i'd be super-uber elite on some airlines.

i think the logic is correct. you get 1 night credit for each night you stay. just so happens you have 2 rooms in the same night should yield you the same night credit. way around this is to have the 2nd room under another name.
Old May 7, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by myperks
both rooms do get credit..... point-wise.

imho, loyalty programs are for individual travelers... the proposal is like asking frequent flyer programs to let "purchasers" accrue miles (rdm and eqm) for other passengers' tickets (i understand some airlines have the family accrual thing going on, but none on US-based airlines). heck, if that was the case, i'd be super-uber elite on some airlines.

i think the logic is correct. you get 1 night credit for each night you stay. just so happens you have 2 rooms in the same night should yield you the same night credit. way around this is to have the 2nd room under another name.
I agree.

Otherwise you'd have people paying for everyone in their convention group and becoming Diamond overnight.

The opportunities for abuse would just be too great if credit were granted for each room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.