Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:43 pm

Thanks appreciate it!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:00 am

We just completed a 2 night stay here and is was very OK. Nothing particularly special. We were not given an upgraded room, as diamonds. I suppose I should've asked,since it would have been really nice to have a suite. We have 2 little kids, and I'm trying to show my husband that being diamond is worth the effort. That being said we probably had one of the better standard 2 queen rooms. There is a part of the building that goes out a bit, so two rooms are about 3-4 ft deeper with a bay type window. We also were on the 16th floor. So, we had a view of lots of buildings, but at least we could see quite a way.
There were a few little things that annoyed me a bit (I am being a little picky here): no toothpaste in the room, which I didn't pack because I was expecting some.
No shower gel.
Also, the first night I requested a tea kettle, and more black tea and regular coffee, since the room only comes with a single serving of each. It never showed up, and the guy didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked for a tea kettle (even though it was on the list of things you can borrow from the hotel). It took me a while to realize he thought I was trying to order a pot of tea from room service. The next day I left a note for housekeeping instead and everything was there when we returned at the end of the day.
So, as I said nothing was wrong, but it wasn't a special stay in any way. I guess it's getting to be a pet peeve of mine that I call guest services and ask for something that is on that card they put in the room, which tells you what stuff they have for you if you need it. Then the response I get is complete confusion as if they are not familiar with those items. It's weird.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:41 am

Oops, forgot to say that the breakfast was fantastic. Well stocked buffet with a variety of cheeses, meats, fruit, and nuts and dried fruit. Bacon, sausage, potatoes, eggs, etc. and made to order omelettes. The pastries looked nice and fresh, but I didn't try them myself. It was the highlight of the stay for me.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by fcgoal
Oops, forgot to say that the breakfast was fantastic. Well stocked buffet with a variety of cheeses, meats, fruit, and nuts and dried fruit. Bacon, sausage, potatoes, eggs, etc. and made to order omelettes. The pastries looked nice and fresh, but I didn't try them myself. It was the highlight of the stay for me.
The breakfast is definitely a highlight.

We recently booked a last minute staycation here and were upgraded to the presidential suite (1531), which among other things has a freestanding bathtub similar to those in the Splash suites at the Andaz 5th Avenue.

Overall, Hyatt has done a fantastic job with the conversion of the hotel to a Hyatt. The lobby and the lobby bar have a very contemporary upscale look. Service was generally good. We didn't particularly like the bar as 1) prices were quite hight compared to similar outlets elsewhere and about the same as the PH, 2) our bartender was a little rough around the edges (swore in front of guests etc.) which gave the place the flair of a dive bar.

Overall, a solid new Hyatt option with a good location.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I did not find the prices high at the bar, they were pretty reasonable for a hotel and for the quality of drinks and food served.

The bar and the restaurant are not Hyatt, it's operated by a third party.

Originally Posted by sensei
The breakfast is definitely a highlight.

We recently booked a last minute staycation here and were upgraded to the presidential suite (1531), which among other things has a freestanding bathtub similar to those in the Splash suites at the Andaz 5th Avenue.

Overall, Hyatt has done a fantastic job with the conversion of the hotel to a Hyatt. The lobby and the lobby bar have a very contemporary upscale look. Service was generally good. We didn't particularly like the bar as 1) prices were quite hight compared to similar outlets elsewhere and about the same as the PH, 2) our bartender was a little rough around the edges (swore in front of guests etc.) which gave the place the flair of a dive bar.

Overall, a solid new Hyatt option with a good location.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by fcgoal
We just completed a 2 night stay here and is was very OK. Nothing particularly special. We were not given an upgraded room, as diamonds. I suppose I should've asked,since it would have been really nice to have a suite. We have 2 little kids, and I'm trying to show my husband that being diamond is worth the effort. That being said we probably had one of the better standard 2 queen rooms.
I strongly suspect that all the (standard) suites at this property are king bed rooms -- they are very large rooms, but the actual bedroom is quite small. I would be surprised if two queens would fit.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
If you are in Chicago in January 2014, they are offering suites with breakfast for for a AAA rate of $107. A Hyatt Diamond experience without status for a steal. I booked a couple of
weekends.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:54 am

Just finished a really nice stay. Upgraded as a diamond to a suite. Really big tv in the main room with a somewhat uncomfortable sectional. But the room was well set up with good lighting, and the neat lights on the bases of the bed side tables that light up in the night if you get up. Lots of plugs where you need them. The closet was tiny for the size of the room, but I was solo so it was no problem. Looked from the floor plan of my floor on the exit map as though there are a good number of oversized or unusual shaped and so oversized rooms on each floor, so diamonds should have a good shot at extra space. I heard sirens from the nearby hospial, but I must have been on the good side of the hotel (no idea, I am directionally challenged), because it was not overwhelming and I was on a lower floor.

Location is great if you need to be in the magnificent mile area. Lots of great restaurants nearby. Navy pier/lakefront about 10 to 15 minute walk. The L is reasonably close but a walk with bags. Starbucks on the ground floor.

No club, but the breakfast makes up for it. Possibly one of the best breakfast buffets I have had in a non-ultra luxury USA property. Great food. Great presentation. Really nice. No omelette station or made to order in the buffet, but still really nice. The restaurant/bar, though, was not my style. A little too quirky and overpriced even by Chicago hotel standards. They had some nice local handcrafted beers, but they were priced very high.

Like many city hotels, you take one elevator from the street to the lobby and a second to the room. Mildly annoying, but really no problem.

I would stay here again. There is a ton of hotel competition in a few block radius, so price is important. I got a good AAA rate, and if I got it again would certainly be happy to stay here.

Last edited by lkar; Sep 28, 2013 at 11:39 am
Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:23 am

A Winner

Stayed at this property last week. The renovations are apparently complete, and the hotel looks splendid (at least as soon as one ascends from the ground floor elevator bank to the real lobby on second floor.) The staff were consistently splendid. The breakfast was great. I saw no evidence that the restaurant was operated by anyone other than Hyatt: The menu looked like a standard Hyatt breakfast menu. Location of the hotel is great, and this is a fine addition to the Hyatt portfolio.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
On my last stay I actually spoke with hotel management to see what the situation with the restaurants was. It's actually managed by two companies, Hyatt being one of them. I should be getting points for food and ALCOHOL... Diamond Customer Service misinformed me.

This is what I was told. This hotel is a new concept for Hyatt, it's the first of many to come and it's currently the flagship hotel. The hotel is managed by 3 companies, hence all the managers you see walking around. The lobby, Bar and restaurant although separate blend together and are available for guest use 24 hours a day, food and beverage service is offered in all three areas when the kitchen is open. Booths and the Bar are designed for guest to bring their laptop down, hang and relax, there are even power ports at the bar.

I don't remember everything we talks about, but I do notice the hotel is not like other Hyatt's from the menu in the restaurant to the coziness of the lobby area extending to the bar and restaurants. The rooms are nicely appointed, a bit higher standards in design than a typical Hyatt Regency. There is a bit on Andaz going on with the lobby/bar area, a bit Grand Hyatt in the rooms. The lighting in the rooms is fantastic, and the gym is well equip.

I like this hotel better than the Park Hyatt or Regency... it's cozy, nicely designed.

Originally Posted by observer
Stayed at this property last week. The renovations are apparently complete, and the hotel looks splendid (at least as soon as one ascends from the ground floor elevator bank to the real lobby on second floor.) The staff were consistently splendid. The breakfast was great. I saw no evidence that the restaurant was operated by anyone other than Hyatt: The menu looked like a standard Hyatt breakfast menu. Location of the hotel is great, and this is a fine addition to the Hyatt portfolio.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Travelzoo special for this property:

$25 -- Chicago: Mag Mile Brunch (Sat or Sun) w/Cocktails for 2, Reg. $50 (or $49 for 4 people)
http://www.travelzoo.com/top20/64067478-1597205

Source: Level Two at the Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile

--
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:55 pm

I just stayed here for a weekend one of the upper floors. The diamond breakfast buffet was very nice and had a variety of hot and cold options. Service from the concierge was good and the rooms are very modern and sort of look like they are from the Mad Men set. Since it’s so close to the mag mile and hospital it does get a little noisy however I would definitely stay here again.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just had a 2 night stay as a Diamond with this hotel. Room was nice and modern with dark oak colors. Bathroom was very large, but shower still had the traditional tub and curtains (I prefer walk-in showers with glass doors). I seemed to have a corner room which I guess was a "best room available" perk seen by Diamonds. This was good enough for me and my g/f said she had one of her best sleeps in a long time. The Diamond breakfast had ala carte from the menu OR full buffet which was very good. Restaurant claims that the food is organic and the eggs were cage-free. The coffee was a bit too strong for us.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Back from a weekend stay at the Mag Mile, and for as much as I am in Chicago (usually stay at HR because I know the staff well), I will be returning to the HR.

As doss1 received a corner suite :P, I did not. I was in 1712 (top floor, facing Northwestern/Erie). The two rooms were fairly large, separated by doors, which is probably an important aspect for a family as it had a pull-out sofa in the living room. Bathroom was very well done, with a separate tub and shower. Room was great, no issues.

Some things to be aware of... Northwestern's ER entrance is located across the street from the valet. Although not terrible, I was woken up a few times each night from ambulance's, but they would immediately turn the sirens off once they got closer. This can also be helped by requesting a room on the opposite side or facing Saint Claire.

No room is high enough to get a full view of Michigan Ave (or be above any of the buildings surrounding it). Definitely something I missed from the HR. I've never had a bad view at the Regency, and although not on Michigan, Wacker is a great place to be and maybe a 5-10 minute walk from HMM's doorstep. This led to the room being dark, as it was a long way from the bathroom/living room to the window.

Breakfast is probably the highlight. I'm never amazed by HR's club, although they are working on it, so the made-to-order omelets were welcomed, as well as the service. As many of the others, Starbucks is located in the hotel.

Overall, it was very modern and pretty to look at, but I prefer my views/windows, to the updates.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Even though I live in the city, several conferences have me staying at a hotel in Chicago a few times a year. Since I'm taking clients out and liquor is involved, I choose to stay near the conference.

I was upgraded to a Exec Suite on the top floor. It was the quiet corner away from Northwestern Hospital. Front Desk was very friendly, the wife and kids were along for check inn but were not going to stay. Front Desk offered cribs for the baby twins to stay the night.

Service and quality of food was fantastic. The restaurant/bar were fantastic.

I did choose this over the Park Hyatt, even though the Park was cheaper. I refuse to ever stay there again.

Hyatt mag mile will be my go to hotel in Chicago and I will recommend to all my clients and co workers. Customer service was outstanding all around.

Park Hyatt management needs to walk a few blocks and see how it's done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.