Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
How is that rebuild coming? I will be in Chicago Monday and need to choose somewhere to stay. My last stay here was fine but the place was indeed dated...
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Renovation?

Any current visits to this property? I will be heading to Chicago this summer with BossLady to attend The Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity exhibit http://www.artic.edu/exhibition/impr...-and-modernity . I know the Wacker HR is closer to the museum but she also likes to go shopping.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, AA Platinum, National/Enterprise Executive
Recent Stay

Just completed 5 nights here. Beautiful hotel, got a great jr. suite upgrade as a Platinum. The remodel here was wonderful, I had a HUGE tv, probably 50", marble bathroom, sofa with table, etc. The rooms feature the motion detected lights under the night stands which is handy for walking around in the middle of the night. The restaurant and lobby were not complete, but they did open the lobby officially on my last day there. Staff was great, most of them remembered my name after one interaction. The hotel is one block off Michigan Ave. for shopping. The only downside is that the hotel is across the street from Northwestern University Hospital. My room overlooked the ER entrance for Ambulances. I typically heard at least one per hour during daylight hours. I was surprised that I usually only heard one or two in the overnight hours, so it did not disturb my sleep. They even put a box of ear plugs on my night stand in case I needed them, but I did not. Highly recommend this hotel, I will definitely be back on my next trip to Chicago!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thank you for the report ziggy2
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm in a huge suite on the 11th floor that faces Erie (comped and not requested--Hyatt has been very good to me the last few months with suite upgrades)-- the room is gorgeous!

This is my second night here. The bedroom is separated from the living room with frosted glass doors. Guessing the Samsung Smart TV mounted in a wall/desk console is at least 60 inches-- biggest TV I've ever had at a Hyatt and color better than the 46 inch Sony I have at home. The living room area has a sectional sofa that can easily seat 6-9 guests and there are 3 chairs.

There is a smaller Samsung on the dresser in the bedroom that I'd guess is 46 inches.

The bedroom does not have the motion activated LED lights as a prior poster mentioned, but I do know what those are as the Hyatt in Indianapolis, where I was earlier this week, had them. I actually have some lights like that at home that were a Christmas present and find them useful.

I was given breakfast coupons and asked at the restaurant counter if tip was included for Diamonds as it didn't indicate one way or the other. Attendant wasn't sure so I asked my server who indicated 15% was included. I tipped extra as I thought service was attentive and very good.

I got some pancakes and bacon off the hot food line and some fresh berries from the cold area along with a banana. That was plenty for me. There was syrup and a dish of butter next to the pancakes. There was a selection of cereals available and lots of fruit (apples, oranges, bananas). I was down at 0830 and there were plenty of open seats. This property does not have a lounge so Diamond breakfast is in the restaurant.

I did hear the sirens. There was a real long one that woke me up after 6 in the morning, and I also heard them a couple times when trying to get to sleep around 11. I looked around the bedroom and bathroom just now for earplugs and none to be found, though this would be a good item to stock in each room.

I'd stay here again. I love the location just off Michigan Ave. Nearby is everything from Trader Joe's to Eddie Bauer and I, along with friends, hit both Lou Malnati's and Giordano's for deep dish pizza.

I did take some photos and will try to get them up at the start of the week.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:43 pm

had a one night stay here on 6/26. fantastic property and the renovations have done wonders.

diamond status was acknowledged at check-in, amenity offered, and was given a large corner room (suites were sold out). breakfast in the restaurant is fantastic - they told me that as a diamond i had the choice of buffet, entree of the menu, or room service if i preferred.

as mentioned in the other reviews, the tv's are huge - mine was 50" or 55".

bill was accurate on checkout.

great stay overall and highly recommend.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:12 pm

My husband and I stayed here 2 weeks ago. We were upgraded to a corner king, and the room was REALLY gorgeous and spacious. The shape of the room was pretty cool too. Had a big and comfortable couch. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was big (wish the tub was a little bigger - but I'm being nit picky). TV was huge, as other have mentioned and the sensor lights were neat too. You could hear sirens, and also the whistling from the cab-hailing attendant, but it didn't happen much during the night, so it was fine. There was an offer for 1500 additional bonus points per stay which we got (despite the booking with the appropriate offer code, and confirming the offer upon check in, I did have to call to get them awarded - the front desk had NO idea what the offer was. The points were part of the renovation marketing, so I think they should've known).

We did have a huge and unfortunate issue with concierge. I won't get into details, but I did email details to Hyatt post-stay and was awarded 6000 gold passports, and they also refunded the 54.00 valet parking charge for the trouble. The concierge kind of soured my experience, of what is otherwise, an amazingly renovated property.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:24 pm

Here's the photos of my 11th floor suite:

More in the Hyatt gallery linked below.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Your reviews have influenced me to switch my stay next week from the HR to this property. I hope my experience comes close to yours!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:43 pm

Just be prepared for the sirens. This morning between 0715-0830 I counted them six times, and there was one before that time frame that woke me up (didn't check the time on the clock but probably before 7).

The breakfast experience this morning could have been better. Other than my initial glass of juice when I sat down, I was only offered one refill. My first food plate was still on the table after I finished the second dish (a pastry and various cut fruit). This was so different than my breakfast the day before where the service was exceptional. I saw staff chatting with guests at other tables, and it was a little busier than the prior day, but I really thought they were not at their best today. I mentioned it at check-out.

To be clear, I would return to this property, but I'd probably bring some good earplugs along to deal with the siren noise.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Just be prepared for the sirens. This morning between 0715-0830 I counted them six times, and there was one before that time frame that woke me up (didn't check the time on the clock but probably before 7).
I experience the same thing up the street at PH, albeit with fire engines. At the difference in rate, even with service issues at breakfast, I'm more than willing to give this property a try.

That said, my earplugs are packed.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:49 pm

I checked in earlier this evening and was upgraded to a suite that's identical to what Tom911 received. I can only concur with the favorable recent reviews of the renovations and helpfulness of the staff. ^ My suite overlooks Ontario Street (and thus not Erie, on which the ambulances enter the NWestern Hospital ER), so no sirens (yet!).

I will probably be checking out the pool next.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Just completed a stay here, corner room with a nice view of the Trump Tower. Rooms are nicely renovated, warm colors, great lighting, nice space. Lobby is very cozy, nicely done, centrally located.

Level Two Restaurant is not operated by Hyatt... at least that is what I was told so I earned no points for dinning charges. Looking at the menu I got the feeling it must be operated by a third party... the menu looks far more creative and fun than a Hyatt Menu, food was delicious, sushi bar is awesome, fantastic wine selection^^^. I really enjoy my dinning experience, looking forward to returning.

In the end I would rather stay here than the Hyatt Regency, rooms are far nicer! Intimate nice size boutique hotel with a nicely equip gym, small pool, hot tub, wonderful bar and restaurant, friendly, attentive staff. Only negative is the sirens from the hospital across the street, they started at 6:30 AM one morning and seem not to end for a few hours My ear plugs came in handy but I can see this being a problem with some guest.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:22 pm

Hi, been reading through this review and the review for the PH. Which one would you recommend for a getaway with the wife? We both like to work out so a nice gym is important. Thanks for your recommendations!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Park Hyatt... much nicer gym and pool.

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Hi, been reading through this review and the review for the PH. Which one would you recommend for a getaway with the wife? We both like to work out so a nice gym is important. Thanks for your recommendations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.