Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Bonus points still haven't posted...

I hate having to call/email to ask for them as I feel like I'm being greedy, but I was promised the points.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
travelzoo dining offer at Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile

I'll share this in case anyone staying there shortly and wanting to take advantage:

http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals...staurant/24327

For $39, 2 can dine at Caliterra at the Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile, regularly up to $79

Enjoy a 3-course dinner near Michigan Avenue for less than $20 per person
Metromix says Caliterra "sizzles and smokes while the dining room hums with conversation"

Gayot calls Caliterra "comfortable and casually intimate"
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Got 1,000 of my bonus points to post after contacting the hotel...I'm giving up the ghost on the second bonus points that I was promised.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: WN A List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I was also promised 1,000 points at check-in during a stay earlier this month due to the upcoming remodeling. The points did not post, but a call to GP took care of it. The agent was surprised and had not heard of this before, but he added the points.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:09 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I am liking this property. A lot. The staff are really friendly and helpful and they are taking great care of me.

As Arnie would say, I'll be back!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:00 pm

I'm still waiting for my 1000 points, and I'm just dragging my feet because I don't feel like calling them yet.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Does anyone know when the renovations will begin. I have a 2 night stay in Chicago in mid-Dec and I'm debating between this hotel and the Regency (2 adults and 2 smaller children). Any info or advice which one to pick would be appreciated.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:10 am
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I don't know what to say about this hotel. The room is definitely old and weary, but the friendliness of the staffs actually made up for it. In addition, the location is so much better compared to the Hyatt Regency Chicago.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt&Hilton&BW Diamond,GHA Black,Marriott Plat,SPG Gold,AB Platinum,TK Elite,AZ Alata Plus,EY Gold
Originally Posted by KKR
I don't know what to say about this hotel. The room is definitely old and weary, but the friendliness of the staffs actually made up for it. In addition, the location is so much better compared to the Hyatt Regency Chicago.
Is only the location better or also the hotel in a better condition then the HR?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:57 pm
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nighthawkrs
Is only the location better or also the hotel in a better condition then the HR?
Hyatt MM's location (in the middle of Magnificent Mile) is better than HR (at the end corner of Wacker). Condition-wise, HR is much better than Hyatt MM. The room just looks old and the furniture and wallpapers are weary. Probably the worst aspect is the fact that the TV is still tube However, the room is slightly larger and the staffs are more friendly at Hyatt MM. So it boils down to your personal preferences.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:37 am

Does anyone know when the renovations will begin. I have a 2 night stay in Chicago in mid-Dec and I'm debating between this hotel and the Regency (2 adults and 2 smaller children). Any info or advice which one to pick would be appreciated.
Renovations are due to begin after the first of the year so you will not be affected by construction, if that is your concern.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:33 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KKR
Hyatt MM's location (in the middle of Magnificent Mile) is better than HR (at the end corner of Wacker).
for many that may be the case but just FYI for those not familiar w/Chicago, if one is attending an event at Millennium or Grant Park, going to the Art Institute, HR on Wacker is an easy walk to these destinations.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, United Premier Silver, US Airways Silver
Just to echo some of the other posts here, I think the MM vs the HR in Chicago is all about certain trade-offs:

MM has a more attentive staff and the feeling of a better guest-to-staff ratio
HR has nicer rooms and a better feel; MM 'feels' like another hotel chain still to me
HR is only in a better location if your primary goal is to walk to Millennium Park or the Art Institute
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Just completed two short stays here, and overall, my impression is that the hotel has a lot of potential. Staff was, as others have mentioned, friendly and helpful across the board. They are also very much up on the Hyatt way of doing things, at this point; they were very quick to recognize my Diamond status, presented printed amenity cards, had no issues with Diamond late checkout, etc.

Location is very convenient to North Michigan Ave and there's lots of good dining nearby. (As a heads up to anyone traveling to points north in Chicago -- the express bus routes that pick up on northbound Michigan and jump right on Lake Shore Drive are one of the CTA's best kept secrets, and rival the 'L' for convenience at many times of day.)

There are now drawings and sample boards up in the lobby showing the materials for the newly renovated rooms. The furnishings in the current rooms are indeed tired, but seemed well maintained for their age.

The biggest positive I can see here is that each floor of the hotel appears to have four large, real suites -- each with a moderate-size bedroom separated from a cavernous living room by French doors. I was upgraded to one of these rooms on both stays, without using any certificates. (The footprint of the building is such that these rooms must be on just about every floor, as there'd be no good way to use the space otherwise. It's an odd building in a lot of ways.) I look forward to seeing what these rooms look like renovated. Another big plus -- Quince and Bergamot products in these suites.

My only real complaint was breakfast -- though the menu is Hyatt standard, the recipes don't seem to be quite yet. My omelette on the first stay was overcooked and delivered without the relish that was listed; on the second stay, I ordered corned beef hash, and was served a baffling dish consisting of giant pieces of bell pepper mixed with hash browns and too much oil, topped with sandwich-style shaved corned beef and poached eggs, in a miniature skillet. Had I been paying for it I'd almost certainly have sent it back. The free breakfast is by coupon, and doesn't indicate whether the gratuity is included.

It doesn't sound as if they plan a Regency Club, which is fine by me; it'll be nice to have an option in Chicago serving Diamonds a "real" breakfast.

On the whole, though, I think this property will turn out to be a great addition to the Hyatt portfolio in Chicago. Would love to see them replicate this in more cities nationwide!

Last edited by dtremit; Dec 16, 2012 at 12:41 am
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:37 pm

Hugely unimpressed by the property having stayed as a Diamond. Wyndham always looked solid to me from outside. While hotel has the location to its advantage - one block east of Michigan Avenue, and across from the Northwestern Memorial Hospital, the room and staff attitude hardly warrant full-service Hyatt brand name. The renovation is underway, and the gym has been redone and looks really attractive. Their restaurant was closed, so the breakfast is setup in one of the conference rooms and consists of stale croissants, small other pastries, basic bread, roast potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon, yogurts, and fruit (such as tasteless hard honeydew and watermelon, and stale-looking pineapple). I felt sorry for the people who ate their, including myself, although they did give an option to order room-service breakfast and that might have been a better option if you have time.

Room itself was basic, small, and old-fashioned, including extinct-type of TV in a dresser. No premium channels, such as HBO, Showtime which is a standard in basic hotels by now. The bed was uncomfortably hard. Cleaning lady did not put a regular bar of soap or shower gel, and just left a face bar. Writing pad paper was not re-filled, and only had 3 sheets remaining. Room was clean, and there were two small bottles of complimentary water. In the morning hours, cleaning lady would avoid any eye-contact in the corridor. The elevators would require keys at some times, such as 3pm, but not at others, such as 8am.

Due to renovation there is no business center or computer available for guest-use. Their multimillion dollar renovation plan did not prioritize the need for a couple-hundred dollar PC with an attached printer for guests' use. However, they were happy to provide with a flyer listing nearby Fedex Kinko locations. Seriously, how long has Hyatt been managing this property now?

One positive thing was good internet speed at night (18.6Mbs down, 17.86Mbs up), but I would not bank on Hyatt keeping it as opposed to reducing the speed to a more standard level as soon as they get on top of things.

The Streeteville and River North locations in Chicago had experienced something of a mini boom in hotel development in recent years, and unless you are interested in a couple thousand points, it seems you would be much better-off by choosing a near-by independent designer hotel. (Dana, Wit were readily available for similar price through "hotel tonight" app on my dates).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.