Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond suite upgrade/Amex FHR?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

I booked a hotel for which I'm using a Diamond suite upgrade. After booking the room I saw that Amex FHR offers the same rook for the same price. If I rebook through Amex can I still use the suite upgrade? How would I apply the upgrade? Book with Amex then call the hotel?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimson12
I booked a hotel for which I'm using a Diamond suite upgrade. After booking the room I saw that Amex FHR offers the same rook for the same price. If I rebook through Amex can I still use the suite upgrade? How would I apply the upgrade? Book with Amex then call the hotel?
yes - book with amex then call diamond line
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Great thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I just called the Diamond line to inquire about this and they said that, to use a Diamond suite upgrade, I have to book directly through Hyatt? She specifically said that booking through Amex FHR would mean I'm not eligible to use the Diamond suite upgrade.

Did I get bad information? Should I call back?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just called the Diamond line to inquire about this and they said that, to use a Diamond suite upgrade, I have to book directly through Hyatt? She specifically said that booking through Amex FHR would mean I'm not eligible to use the Diamond suite upgrade.

yes (unless smth changed very recently)
in the past i used dia upgrades on virtuoso bookings and i am quite certain posters reported upgrading fhr rates

for example

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...e-upgrade.html

and GP Concierge comment linked therein

Last edited by azepine00; Jun 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I have upgraded a virtuoso booking with a suite upgrade (from the chase card; I am not a diamond)

FDW
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:53 am

If central reservations or CS gives you any trouble, I would suggest calling the property directly. I have had several properties pull suite upgrades from my account and confirm me in suites even when central reservations would not apply the upgrades.

Hyatt treats FHR or Virtuoso reservations the same as direct bookings in my experience (re suite upgrades and earning points on room rate).
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt

Yes, definitely.

I'm suspecting that there are a few (at least one) staff at the Diamond Line who doesn't know this. I usually ask my FHR agent to call Hyatt Diamond Line to apply the suite upgrades. He has encountered this a few times. He hanged up and called again and problem solved.

Please, Hyatt, fix this!!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:06 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Please, Hyatt, fix this!!
This is a training issue - and with the turnover in CS agents, there is no way to ensure that every single agent knows every single nuance of the program. Hyatt's training of agents has improved considerably over the last few years - there hasn't really been reports of what I would consider egregious misunderstanding of rules in quite a while.

If "you" encounter a problem that appears to be contrary to the program T&Cs and can't seem to solve it by multiple calls, my suggestion would be to Private Message the Gold Passport Concierge staff here on Flyertalk, they are pretty well versed in all the nuances.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

So then should I cancel my "regular" reservation and then re-book via FHR? I don't want to risk losing the room altogether... but if I book on FHR and then cancel the one I see on the Gold Passport site, will it cancel the correct reservation? I just want to make sure the FHR reservation stays and the other one goes. And then I suppose I'd call in to apply the upgrade.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:03 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

So then should I cancel my "regular" reservation and then re-book via FHR? I don't want to risk losing the room altogether... but if I book on FHR and then cancel the one I see on the Gold Passport site, will it cancel the correct reservation? I just want to make sure the FHR reservation stays and the other one goes. And then I suppose I'd call in to apply the upgrade.
Why don't you book FHR and then PM the Gold Passport Concierge to "move" the suite upgrade over to the FHR reservation and then cancel the other one.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
Why don't you book FHR and then PM the Gold Passport Concierge to "move" the suite upgrade over to the FHR reservation and then cancel the other one.
Good idea, thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I made the reservation through Amex and called the Diamond line. I gave her both confirmation numbers, and she was able to apply the suite upgrade to the Amex reservation and then cancel the "regular" one.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

AMEX FHR is a published Hyatt rate. You can pull the FHR rate up on hyatt.com. All elite benefits apply and it qualifies for promotional offers.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
AMEX FHR is a published Hyatt rate. You can pull the FHR rate up on hyatt.com. All elite benefits apply and it qualifies for promotional offers.
Interesting. Is this unique to Hyatt? Because I've seen and heard that sometimes FHR/Virtuoso rates are lower than those listed on the hotel's website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.