Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Beware of multiple nights reservation rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of multiple nights reservation rates

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 10:01 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs down Beware of multiple nights reservation rates

I have recently found 2 outrageous examples of hyatt.com pricing multi night stays at higher rates throughout the stay when only the first night is higher.
Ex.: NYGH May 16-21, 2013 shows a rate of $419 a night for the lowest Hyatt rate. However, if you book May 16 for one night the rate is $419. Then May 17-21 is $299 each night.
I have found a similar situation in Cologne. The first night is 189 euros and the second 171 euros if booked separately. However if you book the 2 nights together, it shows 189 euros both nights.
Unfortunately, this means that to get the best rate you must check all combinations of rates when making a multi night reservation.
IMHO this belies the hyatt claim of guaranteed best rate.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
It's not just Hyatt. I've seen that with other hotel chains. And rental car companies. I had the same issue with Hertz recently on a Wed-Sat booking. Wed-Thur was expensive, Thur-Sat was cheap. If one booking, all days were at the higher Wed-Thur rate.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
It's not just Hyatt. I've seen that with other hotel chains. And rental car companies. I had the same issue with Hertz recently on a Wed-Sat booking. Wed-Thur was expensive, Thur-Sat was cheap. If one booking, all days were at the higher Wed-Thur rate.
+1. Happens all the time with all websites. You need to check one by one.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
In my case of booking the HR Cologne, I found the first night to be the lowest when looking at booking a weekend stay. The two nights together were the highest. The pricing was dynamic and it changed more than once during the couple of hours I was looking at it. I was able to wait the system out until it settled down and then booked a couple of single night stays to complete the weekend I was booking.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Welcome to the world of yield management... Happens all over the place...
Old May 29, 2012, 10:46 pm

Just had the same experience with booking Grand Champions in Indian Wells over Memorial Weekend. I always check rates up until the last moment to see if there is something better and found an impressively low rate for the last day of our four night stay. When I tried to book it all together, it gave me the higher rate. I called GP and they booked it with the lower rate for the one night! Also found a lower breakfast included rate for the other three nights at $20 cheaper than our originally booked rate.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
It's always good to check individual nights just like it's good to check component one-ways. This is particularly important when the hotel is hosting conventions or meetings, especially when they are trying to gouge whoever is going to the meetings. I remember once with a Hilton the rate for a midweek stay was at least double the rate per night of pretty much any other date combination I entered for that week, and I found out that it corresponded precisely to the dates of some law-related conference. You just never know when yield management is kicking in.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I have seen this a lot with Hyatt, but Hilton used to show variable rates for a stay. I'm not sure about Hilton now with the new website.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is similar to buying two plane tickets on the same PNR. Both will price the same, and on the higher fare if only one ticket is available at the lower cost. The same for award tickets, at least on DL.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by skunker
I have seen this a lot with Hyatt, but Hilton used to show variable rates for a stay. I'm not sure about Hilton now with the new website.
New sites shows a asterisk that says rate change during stay. I priced out something next week from $150 to 600.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.