Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with 2,527 points?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Once upon a time...
What to do with 2,527 points?

I'm not a very active Hyatt Gold Passport member, but somehow I have 2,527 points that expire August 7th. Is there anything I can do with this small an amount of points?

Alternatively, is there anything I can do to extend the expiration? I have Chase Ultimate Rewards & AmEx Memership Rewards points at my disposal, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat
You can transfer Chase UR points to Hyatt Gold Passport (should be instantaneous).
Old May 28, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by veeRob
I'm not a very active Hyatt Gold Passport member, but somehow I have 2,527 points that expire August 7th. Is there anything I can do with this small an amount of points?
I'd say that if you can't transfer them out to an account of some sort that you are using, then let them expire. If this account is so stale and so rarely used that you risk losing the points due to non-activity then you probably shouldn't put more points into the account. Without any evidence to the contrary, your lack of activity here indicates that you are probably not inclined to start accumulating points here anytime soon.

The only exception to this might be to throw a trivial number of points (if this is possible) into the account to keep it active IF A) you have a reasonable expectation of getting utility out of the points B) the marginal cost of doing so is almost zero. In other words, if you can keep the points active with little or no cost, then it might be worth your time and investment to do so. But to make a further investment into this account would not be prudent.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Once upon a time...
Thanks for the advice. Looks like my problem is moot as a credit showed up for 1,000 points for "Hycard Inc. Bonus." I honestly don't remember what this was for, but I'll take it as it should extend my expiration a year.

I wish Hyatt had some sort of PointBreaks-style promotion where you could redeem for inexpensive hotel nights.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
That is odd, I didn't know Hyatt Points expire.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I didn't either now that you brought it up. My account never slows down enough to bring the matter up.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
They don't expire as long as you keep your account active.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:23 am

.....a credit showed up for 1,000 points for "Hycard Inc. Bonus." I honestly don't remember what this was for......
It could really be helpful if you'd remember and share with us how you're picking up these bonuses that you come your way.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I'd say that if you can't transfer them out to an account of some sort that you are using, then let them expire. If this account is so stale and so rarely used that you risk losing the points due to non-activity then you probably shouldn't put more points into the account. Without any evidence to the contrary, your lack of activity here indicates that you are probably not inclined to start accumulating points here anytime soon.

The only exception to this might be to throw a trivial number of points (if this is possible) into the account to keep it active IF A) you have a reasonable expectation of getting utility out of the points B) the marginal cost of doing so is almost zero. In other words, if you can keep the points active with little or no cost, then it might be worth your time and investment to do so. But to make a further investment into this account would not be prudent.
I agree- if you have no use for the points just let them expire. 3,000 points can be purchased for $72, and the actual value of the points is likely less than that, so it's not worth investing money or CC points just to keep 2,500 GP points.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: Hilton gold
Unless Hyatt changes it`s policy this year they won`t go anywhere. I had an account long forgotten and merged it with my other account after 12 years.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Thanks for the advice. Looks like my problem is moot as a credit showed up for 1,000 points for "Hycard Inc. Bonus." I honestly don't remember what this was for, but I'll take it as it should extend my expiration a year.

I wish Hyatt had some sort of PointBreaks-style promotion where you could redeem for inexpensive hotel nights.
they sort of do, as you redeem Category 1 at 5,000 pts.
http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/hyatt_free_night.jsp
Old May 28, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by slocouple
they sort of do, as you redeem Category 1 at 5,000 pts.
http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/hyatt_free_night.jsp
I thought he meant something like 2000 points + cash
I wish they had that as well
Old May 28, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
I think it boils down to 2 choices:

1) Forfeit the points
2) Keep the account alive until you need one Hyatt stay (cat 1 seems to make sense). Just transfer 1000 UR points in July to keep it going for 1+ years, you can do that again next year. That'll keep your account going for a long long time. Might not even be worth the effort it maintaining the account though
Old May 28, 2012, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by bouncingbug
I think it boils down to 2 choices:

1) Forfeit the points
2) Keep the account alive until you need one Hyatt stay (cat 1 seems to make sense). Just transfer 1000 UR points in July to keep it going for 1+ years, you can do that again next year. That'll keep your account going for a long long time. Might not even be worth the effort it maintaining the account though
IMHO spending 2,000 points in order to "save" 2,500 points doesn't make sense, unless one actually intends to redeem the points for something of value.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:41 pm

Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt - Beijing

I apologize for digressing but can anyone tell me why the Beijing Grand Hyatt is a Cat 4 while the Park Hyatt is a cat 5? I always thought Grand was superior to a Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.