Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:36 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent

After years of paying $350 per night average at the Mandarin Oriental I recently learned about the fact that everyone seems to be able to get the Park Hyatt from Priceline at about $75 – this was too good to pass up and I have used this option about a dozen times to date. Regrettably, I was just given the Hyatt Regency which I do not think I will like very much – I always hated this hotel in the old days (10 years or so ago) so I was wondering about reactions or thoughts – is it still basically just a big factory?
Old Apr 22, 2003, 2:13 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The Hyatt Regency is a satisfactory choice even if it is a bit as you put it factory like.
Nice views and a satisfactory staff.
Rooms have been improved over the years Some have some nice balconies making them seem nicer then they are
No comparison to the Mandarin which as you know is one of San Franciscos finast or top 5 in the city.
My personal favorite is the Park Hyatt in San Francisco.
Known for its consistent above and beyond professional friendly service that delivers.
All from a polished caring seasoned staff

Just steps away from the Hyatt Regency.
It competes in product and service effectively to the Mandarin
In some ways it is as good or a better property then the Mandarin Oriental.
Yes both have their stregnths as well as minor downsides.
Great rates can be found at all these Hyatt properties right on the Hyatt website under their special offers category.
Exceptional offers especially on most weekends
The site is a little confusing to find much like their layout of the
new improved version in general.(Sigh)
Proving newer is not always better.
The nice part about these online rates is changes can sometimes be made even if their may be a
service charge for the lower promotional rate.
You get to earn miles or points and don't end up in some of the old rundown 3 or 4 star pathetic properties that sometimes one can get on Priceline.When your used to the mandarin its a far fall when your in some Union Square properties
You also have the satisfaction of knowing what hotel your getting and still save a lot.
Hands down if you can choose the Park Hyatt by all means go for it
You will survive The Hyatt Regency if it is not a convention/peak time.
Enjoy whatever you decide !

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
Swissotel Club Gold
U/A 1k

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 04-22-2003).]
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:08 pm

I am currently staying at the Hyatt Regency SF. I like it because it is close to the office. You will be neither dazzled nor disappointed. The rooms are standard-issue Hyatt. Rooms on the RC level do not have a coffee maker but the other rooms do (go figure). The RC features no amenties anymore. No morning coffee, no afternoon snacks, nothing except keyed access, a phone in the bathroom, and nicer elevator doors. Big deal. The lobby bar is okay. Make sure you tell them to shake the heck out of your martini or it will arrive only sightly chilled (why a bartender whose job depends on tips would be so lazy as to make a bad martini is beyond me). I much prefer the lobby bar at the Park Hyatt and sometimes go there for a drink even if I am at the HR. (The Hyatt website has an internet rate at the PH of $125 on Fri-Sat-Sun so I move there for the weekends and back to the HR on Monday).
I prefer the Hyatt Regency to the GH Union Square which is always overrun with noisy, sloppily-dressed tourists or the Wharf Hyatt which has not only the tourists, but tiny rooms with no views. Oh, one last thing: when checking into the Hyatt Regency, if you can't get a balcony view, ask for a view facing Market instead of Drumm. I think the view is nicer and you aren't bothered by the doorman's whistle at 6 am.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I stayed there last month and found it factory-like. HOWEVER, I believe the Ferry Building has just reopened, replete with Peet's and Saturday (?) farmers market, and that might remove some of the sting.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
New Year's Eve Room to View the Fireworks

We'll be staying at the SF Hyatt Regency on New Year's Eve Night. Does anyone have any suggestions for which rooms would have a good view of the fireworks? The fireworks will be from boats at Pier 14.

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:33 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by lswcih
We'll be staying at the SF Hyatt Regency on New Year's Eve Night. Does anyone have any suggestions for which rooms would have a good view of the fireworks? The fireworks will be from boats at Pier 14.
The building is triangle shaped - you'll want the "long" leg rooms with balconies since those face the Bay - the other two sides wouldn't give you any view of the fireworks.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
View for the New Years Eve Fireworks

Peteropny - Thanks for the suggestion. They put us in Room 1122, one of the bay side balcony rooms. Unfoturnately because the balcony is slightly recessed back, the right side of the Bay View was partially block. However, at the end of the hallway, between Rooms xx17 and xx18, there's a large picture window and we ended up going out there to watch the 18 minute firework show. It looks like the best room would be the rooms which are XX18. Those rooms look out directly onto the Bay with no obstructions.

The Recency Club room was closed for renovation so they gave us coupons for a continental breakfast in the lobby restaurant.

Because of the New Years Eve party....everyone had to have a yellow wrist band if you enter the hotel after 4 PM. If you have any visitors who are coming to visit you after 4 PM you have to put their names on a guest list and then the security guard would let them in.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Regency Club reopened on Wednesday, March 26. I was there yesterday afternoon as a photographer staged a professional film shoot of the remodeled lounge and the attendants liberally sprayed Pledge on all the tables in the room for a strongly scented experience.

The Regency Club is in the former Equinox restaurant on top of the hotel. The large circular building on top of the Hyatt with its glass window views of the financial district and Bay views no longer rotates. There is seating around the 360 degree perimeter of the room, a concierge, and Regency Club breakfast, mid-day snack, evening cocktails and appetizers, and late evening dessert presentations. The roof top room offers fine views of the San Francisco Bay and Bay Bridge. There is wifi and two computer stations in the lounge.

Floors 15, 16, and 17 have remodeled rooms with nice furnishings and a walk-in shower stall. One of the most intriguing features of the newly designed room is a TV embedded within the bathroom mirror. Very cool.

Guests were being offered $75 upgrade option at check-in, however, online the cost for Regency Club room tends to be only $50 more than lowest rate.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by satori
Regency Club reopened on Wednesday, March 26. I was there yesterday afternoon as a photographer staged a professional film shoot of the remodeled lounge and the attendants liberally sprayed Pledge on all the tables in the room for a strongly scented experience.

The Regency Club is in the former Equinox restaurant on top of the hotel. The large circular building on top of the Hyatt with its glass window views of the financial district and Bay views no longer rotates. There is seating around the 360 degree perimeter of the room, a concierge, and Regency Club breakfast, mid-day snack, evening cocktails and appetizers, and late evening dessert presentations. The roof top room offers fine views of the San Francisco Bay and Bay Bridge. There is wifi and two computer stations in the lounge.

Floors 15, 16, and 17 have remodeled rooms with nice furnishings and a walk-in shower stall. One of the most intriguing features of the newly designed room is a TV embedded within the bathroom mirror. Very cool.

Guests were being offered $75 upgrade option at check-in, however, online the cost for Regency Club room tends to be only $50 more than lowest rate.
I had not seen this when I checked in yesterday and so was delighted to be told there was a new RC; the lobby area they used previously that masqueraded as an RC was pretty pathetic. I wasn't able to sample the evening cocktail hour, but breakfast had a very nice, and for a US club, lavish spread: not just smoked salmon, but herring as well, processed meats, and hard-boiled eggs. The fruit looked fresh and the cantaloupe actually taste like cantaloupe. Coupled with the spectacular views, this makes it one of my favorite RC's.
Not all the rooms on those floors have been redone, apparently. I did not ahve a stall shower or TV in the bathroom.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rfrost
I had not seen this when I checked in yesterday and so was delighted to be told there was a new RC; the lobby area they used previously that masqueraded as an RC was pretty pathetic. I wasn't able to sample the evening cocktail hour, but breakfast had a very nice, and for a US club, lavish spread: not just smoked salmon, but herring as well, processed meats, and hard-boiled eggs. The fruit looked fresh and the cantaloupe actually taste like cantaloupe. Coupled with the spectacular views, this makes it one of my favorite RC's.
They did a great job with the club; nicely laid out and furinished, lots of privacy, beautiful views and excellent service. The in club host and concierge was very professional and gracious. I did not get a chance to samle the food, but colleagues said it was excellent and one of the best RCs in the US. Definitely a huge improvement over the old RC.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:13 am

As someone who grew up in SF, the closing of the Equinox is very sad. I remember lining up back in the 70's just to get in the elevator. Back then the views were wonderful, but as more and more office buildings were built, the views became blocked. In recent years, you spent more time looking into office buildings then bay and bridge views. Still, as San Francisco's only revolving bar, it was unique and a landmark. With the demise of the Crown Room (Fairmont), Oz and Victor's (St Francis), and Sherlock Holmes (Holiday Inn), San Francisco's rooftop bars seem to be an endangered species. The last time I was at the Top of The Mark, tourists were dressed in jeans and sweatshirts. In their heyday, those bars (Equinox included) had a dress code and were very classy places to take a date.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Hyatt Regency San Francisco

Does anyone know if they've renovated all rooms at the Hyatt Regency SF or just the Regency Club Level Rooms?

Will be staying there soon, and just wanted to know if anyone's experience their newly renovated rooms!

Thanks ^
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Ok, so having now stayed at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco on the Regency Club Floors, I can now tell everyone that these rooms are a vast improvement over their traditional rooms! The bathrooms have Stand Alone Showers, In-Mirror Televisions and tremendously upgraded furnishings. The hotel informed me that they will not be upgrading their standard rooms for quite some time...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:07 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I stayed there one night (6/28) on the 17th floor. The "King deluxe" room had a double bed in it. The room is very small, but at least a queen bed would have fit and been better. Called the front desk to ask about a true "King" and they said my room was a "King." Oh well, I'll call GP and request the 5k for not having my confirmed bed choice.

Did I mention that the rooms are very small. From the emergency exit chart, and a peek into a couple other rooms, this looked to be the larger of the regular rooms on that floor, suites excluded of course. Nicely redone though. Good RC food selections as well, but Sunday breakfast stops at 10AM. Great views from the RC and north facing room. Not sure if all the rooms are redone.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:08 pm

Just back from 2 night stay. 17th floor, 16 & 17 are RC floors. Had balcony room with Bay view. Small room but recently renovated. Balcony decent size w/ 2 chairs and table.
RC great. Friday food was outstanding...baked salmon filet, deep fried calamari, grilled vegetables and many cheeses and and other foods. One of the best RC food spreads that I have seen in a long time.
Got the 1w and sfo5k bonus plus normal points for bill.
Only negative, sticker shock for parking, $50. + $7. tax per day.
Will stay again bit will probably take the ferry from Marin county and spend the parking $'s on food and drink.
Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.