Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I think you had too many beers on that balcony! The view is of San Francisco Bay, not the ocean A beautiful view none the less. And we stayed at the GH just a few weeks ago and used a Diamond Suite upgrade. All the suites we have stayed in before the remodel was complete did have 2 bathrooms. This suite looked the same (the size of two standard rooms) but there was no 2nd bathroom and I believe the area where it used to be is now a wetbar, refrigerator, and a desk.
Good Call - obviously the bay.

Weird, I've never got the one with the wet bar at the GH... stayed in suites there like 5-6 times (after the remodel). Perhaps I always get lucky with the 2nd bathroom.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I guess a view of the bay would be like an ocean view for someone from Texas . I do agree the Balcony Rooms toward the bay have an awesome view... better than the suites. The sunsets can be spectacular on those warm summer evenings. A few times I've sat out on the balcony laying back with a nice bottle of wine, blankets, and watched the fog roll in, I wish they would do something with that awful hideous atrium lobby.

Originally Posted by austin_modern
I wouldnt pay extra for the suite; you're really just getting a tiny seating area between the desk and bed that has a couch in it. A normal room is 189/night, so that represents about a 25% increase which doesnt really seem worthwhile.

If it were me, Id try to get one of the "standard" high level balcony rooms... its nice to sit outside, have a beer and look at the ocean. Its "extra space" that I think is actually pretty usable... with perhaps a jacket and umbrella.

If you are deadset on getting a suite in the city, Id go over a few blocks to the grand... their diamond suite is actually about 2x the size and has a separate living room and 2nd bathroom.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
Appreciate your help...only staying two nights so don't want to burn a suite upgrade.

Will just go for a standard king room with a view hopefully
Please post a review for us when you get back. Have a great time. The club at this hotel is quite something. The one at the GH is great also, but this one is something very different - it used to be a huge revolving bar.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:47 am

Please post a review for us when you get back. Have a great time. The club at this hotel is quite something. The one at the GH is great also, but this one is something very different - it used to be a huge revolving bar.
Agree that this club offers one of the best club experiences. The views are great and the food is better than most clubs. The evening appetizers can easily become dinner.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
There is cheaper parking in the area... $12 or lower for the weekend starting at 6 Friday, ending Sunday evening. There are a few open lots so there are in and out privileges. Got to do a little parking exploring in the area... there are some awesome deals by the KPIX... KGO studios Even some of the garages in the area are around $20 - $24... no in and out tho.

Originally Posted by bob95409
Just back from 2 night stay. 17th floor, 16 & 17 are RC floors. Had balcony room with Bay view. Small room but recently renovated. Balcony decent size w/ 2 chairs and table.
RC great. Friday food was outstanding...baked salmon filet, deep fried calamari, grilled vegetables and many cheeses and and other foods. One of the best RC food spreads that I have seen in a long time.
Got the 1w and sfo5k bonus plus normal points for bill.
Only negative, sticker shock for parking, $50. + $7. tax per day.
Will stay again bit will probably take the ferry from Marin county and spend the parking $'s on food and drink.
Bob
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

A few questions, based on these two posts from several months ago...

Originally Posted by Thunderroad

...Also, my wife and I are Plat members considering staying there next week using the award certificates we get by virtue of our Hyatt credit cards. (Can't use them at the Grand Hyatt, FWIW, as they are only good for up to Category 4.) Any recommendations on which side of the building to request, whether we'd be likely to get any refurbished rooms, any other matters to ask about?

...The only other item I can comment on is location. You do NOT want a room a room facing the cable car terminus at Market & Drumm. The cable car runs until 1 a.m. It's noisy. In addition, street "musicians" hang out their with loud music and soliciting . We found it impossible to sleep on that side of the hotel without earplugs. The opposite side of the hotel is really best, facing the bay. Another side of the hotel faces Drumm Street, also an undesirable location, but not as bad as the rooms facing Market Street and the cable car.
My wife and I are finally getting around to staying at the HRSF this weekend. Let me see if I have it right about good options, based on JIMCHI's good advice and other useful posts in this thread:

1. We should request a bay view room in advance and upon check-in.
2. Do all bay view rooms have balconies?
3. If not, any idea of what the upcharge might be for a room with a balcony?
4. The Regency Club upgrade is nice, if we feel like shelling out the extra $75/night and if it's available.
5. BUT we only want the Regency Club upgrade if we get a bay view room, in that the other rooms might be subject to loud street noise.
6. If a bay view room is not available, any other side to request that won't subject us to that street noise?

Do I have all this right? Any other advice?

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
A few questions, based on these two posts from several months ago...

My wife and I are finally getting around to staying at the HRSF this weekend. Let me see if I have it right about good options, based on JIMCHI's good advice and other useful posts in this thread:

1. We should request a bay view room in advance and upon check-in.
2. Do all bay view rooms have balconies?
3. If not, any idea of what the upcharge might be for a room with a balcony?
4. The Regency Club upgrade is nice, if we feel like shelling out the extra $75/night and if it's available.
5. BUT we only want the Regency Club upgrade if we get a bay view room, in that the other rooms might be subject to loud street noise.
6. If a bay view room is not available, any other side to request that won't subject us to that street noise?

Do I have all this right? Any other advice?

Thanks for any help.
1) yes.
2) mostly. There are a couple at the end on the other side of the building that might be considered bay views that dont have balconies, but there going to be on market street near the far end closest to the bay.
3) dont know. Id pay 20 a night for the balcony, as I like drinking a beer out there checking out the water.
4) not worth 75/night... but very good regency club.
5) all rooms will hear some street noise. the sax guy that plays one song over and over kills me slowly. balcony side is better.
6) you're in the middle of SF... there's going to be noise.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:30 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Just got back from another stay there last week. I love the hotel's location since I typically just stay in the City and can do what I need on BART or the Muni LRVs.

Anyway, I got an upgrade to a balcony room, roughly parallel with Drumm St, facing Clay St and the tennis club. I'm normally on the Bay Bridge/Market St side, so this was a nice change. Huge room, but my god it took a good five or six hours to get it warmed up.

Biggest problem for me was the shower was very small, and the drain was plugged up. I probably wouldn't pay extra for that particular room, especially since my nightly rate was $330. Not sure if the ones on the 15-17th floors are better, though.

I like the hotel, but I agree with the others, it's getting really tired.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
I have stayed at this property countless times. The one thing I just don't get is the cable TV situation. They have large flat screen TV's, but the reception is atrocious. The picture looks snowy. I have noticed it in a bunch of the rooms. If you are paying 200-400 per night, at a minimum you expect cable TV that looks reasonably decent.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
This hotel is tired and just plain AWFUL ... lobby is pathetic, and if you are not on the Regency Club level rooms are worn and dated. THE BIG AVOID LIST.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Just got back from another stay there last week. I love the hotel's location since I typically just stay in the City and can do what I need on BART or the Muni LRVs.

Anyway, I got an upgrade to a balcony room, roughly parallel with Drumm St, facing Clay St and the tennis club. I'm normally on the Bay Bridge/Market St side, so this was a nice change. Huge room, but my god it took a good five or six hours to get it warmed up.

Biggest problem for me was the shower was very small, and the drain was plugged up. I probably wouldn't pay extra for that particular room, especially since my nightly rate was $330. Not sure if the ones on the 15-17th floors are better, though.

I like the hotel, but I agree with the others, it's getting really tired.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Anybody familiar with this property can let me know if the "bay view" overlooks the Golden Gate bridge? We booked two nights next month at the Regency Club level. Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 2:35 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by eddie1973
Anybody familiar with this property can let me know if the "bay view" overlooks the Golden Gate bridge? We booked two nights next month at the Regency Club level. Thanks.
No the Golden Gate is at the end of the Bay - you'll see the Bay Bridge though.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:29 pm

Regency Club hours?

Called the hotel, and asked the operator what the RC hours were. After looking it up, she read to me:

Mon-Fri:
6:00 AM -11:30 AM -- Breakfast
11:30 AM - 2:30 PM -- LUNCH
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM -- Hors d'oeuvres

The "lunch" made me do a "HUH???". It was late, and the operator wasn't able to get anyone to confirm what that was about. Anyone who's been there during those hours able to explain? Thanks!

(Just want to know what they're serving, during which times, and when they take the food away. I might be hanging around for awhile, waiting for an appointment...)
Old May 6, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cygnet
Called the hotel, and asked the operator what the RC hours were. After looking it up, she read to me:

Mon-Fri:
6:00 AM -11:30 AM -- Breakfast
11:30 AM - 2:30 PM -- LUNCH
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM -- Hors d'oeuvres

The "lunch" made me do a "HUH???". It was late, and the operator wasn't able to get anyone to confirm what that was about. Anyone who's been there during those hours able to explain? Thanks!

(Just want to know what they're serving, during which times, and when they take the food away. I might be hanging around for awhile, waiting for an appointment...)
When we were there in April, breakfast was served between 6 and 9 am weekdays and I believe half-hour later start and finish times on weekends. They don't serve lunch in the lounge. There're afternoon cookies and snacks between 2 (?) to 4 (?). Evening cocktails/ hors d'oeuvres 6 until 8 then dessert at 9 pm. These times are what I remember off the top of my head and may not be exact. When you check in, the agent will give you a card with club lounge hours. The sunrise view in the morning over the Bay Bridge is not to be missed ^

Check out this post http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...san-francisco/ for a review of the lounge by Gary Leff.

Last edited by Namaste1; May 6, 2014 at 5:41 am Reason: Added link
Old May 10, 2014, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
They still have the Christmas lights up... this property has gone so down hill I would not even put my in-laws in this dump.

But everyone has their own taste.

Originally Posted by Namaste1
When we were there in April, breakfast was served between 6 and 9 am weekdays and I believe half-hour later start and finish times on weekends. They don't serve lunch in the lounge. There're afternoon cookies and snacks between 2 (?) to 4 (?). Evening cocktails/ hors d'oeuvres 6 until 8 then dessert at 9 pm. These times are what I remember off the top of my head and may not be exact. When you check in, the agent will give you a card with club lounge hours. The sunrise view in the morning over the Bay Bridge is not to be missed ^

Check out this post http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...san-francisco/ for a review of the lounge by Gary Leff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.