Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
location, location, location - not, not, not
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
As a Bostonian temporarily living in Asia, but spending 1 week of every 8 in Boston, I have a few opinions on the property as well. As summarized above:

-The location isn't great if you are on a sightseeing mission - the finanical district property would be better for that

-Transportation wise, taking the shuttle to either the subway station and getting onto the blue line, or to the terminals and getting onto the silver line will get you anywhere you want to go in the city, or New England for that matter, by public transport. Its actually very managable but not walkable like financial district

-There are 2 ferry options, but the water taxi is more convienent and not a bad deal at $10/head (they used to have a $18 RT deal as well). When I used to live downtown and traveled full time, the taxi was a wonderful way to come home on Friday night, you can't beat the view and it will take you to a number of waterfront locations.

-The city view is excellent

-The pool isn't bad

-Local food options are limited in East Boston, but there are some delivery options as well as some local institutations such as Santarpio's Pizza just around the corner.

-Diamond treatment here is usually very good - definitely the best in Boston in my opinion

-Once the hotel gets to know you, they are amazing. Ironically, the best of the best there, and one of the top employees in the Hyatt system is one of their bellhops (Ryan). Goes way out of his way to help, and is a genuinely nice guy.

All in all, its a great hotel for what it is - an airport hotel. If you can grab a great price there off season, its still a workable alternative for a Boston sigtseeing location as well.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Agree that Ryan is a star. Alison on front desk very nice as well.

Had room on 12th floor which was fine. Unfortunately 4 yahoos in a room down the corridor in their 30's but acting like teenagers. Noise all afternoon and evening. Lots of complaints but nothing done.

TV in my room had an issue as well. Room service was very good and excellent food.

Of course my Diamond Amenity didn't post
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Harborside or Regency?

I'm staying in Boston at the end of June near the convention center for a conference that ends on Saturday. My wife is flying in at that time and we have a return flight back on July 4th, so we will be staying Sat-Weds (4 nights)

I have 2 free nights at any Hyatt that we'd like to use to help with expenses.

At first I thought we'd stay at the Harborside all 4 nights, but now I'm wondering if I should stay at the Regency or maybe just stay 2 days at Harborside and then pay for rooms where we will be closer to downtown.

We aren't planning on renting a car, and we'd like to do a few boat rides (Whale, and perhaps out to Provincetown). So sightseeing will be packed into a few days. We do like to be within walking distance, and the subway could take us to anything else that isn't close enough to walk. I'd probably buy a week pass for the subway.

We are Platinum with Hyatt, and have Gold Status with both Hilton and Marriott. I could stay a few more nights at the Marriott Renaissance (where I stay Weds-Sat), but it's at $300 a night for Sat/Sun night, and I always like to see what other hotels are like in case I ever would come back.

Any recommendations on where to stay? This is our first trip to Boston, and I don't know when we would get back.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:04 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by threedjmay
I'm staying in Boston at the end of June near the convention center for a conference that ends on Saturday. My wife is flying in at that time and we have a return flight back on July 4th, so we will be staying Sat-Weds (4 nights)

I have 2 free nights at any Hyatt that we'd like to use to help with expenses.

At first I thought we'd stay at the Harborside all 4 nights, but now I'm wondering if I should stay at the Regency or maybe just stay 2 days at Harborside and then pay for rooms where we will be closer to downtown.

We aren't planning on renting a car, and we'd like to do a few boat rides (Whale, and perhaps out to Provincetown). So sightseeing will be packed into a few days. We do like to be within walking distance, and the subway could take us to anything else that isn't close enough to walk. I'd probably buy a week pass for the subway.

We are Platinum with Hyatt, and have Gold Status with both Hilton and Marriott. I could stay a few more nights at the Marriott Renaissance (where I stay Weds-Sat), but it's at $300 a night for Sat/Sun night, and I always like to see what other hotels are like in case I ever would come back.

Any recommendations on where to stay? This is our first trip to Boston, and I don't know when we would get back.
I'm not well versed with BOS hotels so my comments will strictly be based upon the usage of your 2 free nights (presumably from signing up for the credit card).

I understand that you want to minimize expenses but the value of using your free nights in BOS is pretty poor even at $300 a night. Of course I don't know your travel patterns - if you have any other travel plans before your free nights expire. If you decide that this property (the Harborside Hyatt Logan Airport) is where you want to stay, I would try to get the property via Priceline - there are reports of it being gotten for $80-85 a night (in the zone the only other 4* possibility appears to be the Airport Hilton).
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:52 am

I am a big fan of Hyatt Harborside. Amazing views, great service and the shuttle will take you to the T to get anywhere you need to go. You can also take the water taxi over.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:07 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHEFJASON911
I am a big fan of Hyatt Harborside. Amazing views, great service and the shuttle will take you to the T to get anywhere you need to go. You can also take the water taxi over.
And I'm not. The length of time the shuttle to the T takes gets old very soon and the water taxi is something like $10 a person per one way trip, plus it doesn't run all that often. If it's about location, location, location, you'll do a lot better at the Hyatt Financial Center.

I do concur that it is far more cost effective to use your free nights at a more expensive hotel (like the Park Hyatt in Washington DC or Chicago).
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
And I'm not. The length of time the shuttle to the T takes gets old very soon and the water taxi is something like $10 a person per one way trip, plus it doesn't run all that often. If it's about location, location, location, you'll do a lot better at the Hyatt Financial Center.

I do concur that it is far more cost effective to use your free nights at a more expensive hotel (like the Park Hyatt in Washington DC or Chicago).
I would also pass on the Harborside. It's an airport hotel when it comes down to it. Granted, BOS is closer to Boston proper than most other major cities' airports, but there's still little reason to stay there unless you are trying to minimize the pain of an early flight out or go to probably the best Italian restaurant in Boston (Rino's Place). If you want to be within walking distance of sightseeing / touristy things to do in Boston, though, chose the HR Boston.

I obviously don't know your travel patterns, but I'd also question the value of using free night certs at Boston hotels. Many better values (even domestically) to be had.

I'd even question staying at the Hyatt at all in Boston; it's a fairly middling property in a less-than-ideal location (downtown crossing is dead / somewhat sketchy at night). Consider the SPG properties: W (similar but better location than HR; markedly better facilities at a similar price point), Westin Copley Place (close to Newbury St / Back Bay), Sheraton Back Bay (similar but slightly less desirable location to Westin) and even the Liberty Hotel (pricey, but neat hotel (was once a jail); close to Beacon Hill and convenient to Cambridge). The Marriott Long Wharf also has a good touristy location if you'd like to be near the North End.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
I would also pass on the Harborside.

I'd even question staying at the Hyatt at all in Boston; it's a fairly middling property in a less-than-ideal location (downtown crossing is dead / somewhat sketchy at night). Consider the SPG properties: W (similar but better location than HR; markedly better facilities at a similar price point), The Marriott Long Wharf also has a good touristy location if you'd like to be near the North End.
Thanks for the information and opinions. I think we could swing a trip to Chicago (from Iowa) this summer and still use the Hyatt. I'll save the Hyatt nights for that trip, so now I'll just have to look for deals at some of the other hotels everyone mentioned.

You liked the location and hotel at the W better than the Hyatt Regency? They seem to be in similar locations. I'd look at the Marriott Long Wharf because I do like that location, especially if we book a few sunset cruises/whale watch cruises during our stay, but I'm not wanting to spend the $350 a day for all 4 nights. The W was less than $275 a night.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:28 pm

We live in The Boston area. For our 10th anniversary we spent a night on the top floor. What a gorgeous view! Took the summer water taxi and had dinner in the North End. Hotel staff went above and beyond to make sure that our 2nd night there was as good as our first stay 10 years ago!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by threedjmay
Thanks for the information and opinions. I think we could swing a trip to Chicago (from Iowa) this summer and still use the Hyatt. I'll save the Hyatt nights for that trip, so now I'll just have to look for deals at some of the other hotels everyone mentioned.

You liked the location and hotel at the W better than the Hyatt Regency? They seem to be in similar locations. I'd look at the Marriott Long Wharf because I do like that location, especially if we book a few sunset cruises/whale watch cruises during our stay, but I'm not wanting to spend the $350 a day for all 4 nights. The W was less than $275 a night.
Not sure how important this is to you, but the W is nearly brand new (opened within the past 3 yrs), so as far as facilities go, I'm sure you'd find it to be very nice (HR is a fairly old hotel, in fact it was a SwissHotel before changing flags to Hyatt). Yes, W location is very close to HR (about 5-7 min walk), though being a few blocks further from Downtown Crossing makes a world of difference in terms of the (not) sketchy feel of the place. Hard to really describe well, but put it this way: you'd be likely to find homeless folk sleeping on the sidewalk within a block or two of the HR; not so on Stuart St. where the W is. Personally I wouldn't pay up for the Marriott at those rates; getting to the North End/long wharf from the Common isn't too difficult.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Parking for Diamonds?

I was thinking of staying here this coming weekend on the way back from a trip up north since it's local to me and I need one more night for the current Gold Passport promo before the end of the month... I'm able to get a pretty good corporate rate (under $100); however I looked at the hotel website and learned that they charge $34 for overnight parking. Anyone know if they offer any sort of parking discount/comp parking for Diamonds?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
I was thinking of staying here this coming weekend on the way back from a trip up north since it's local to me and I need one more night for the current Gold Passport promo before the end of the month... I'm able to get a pretty good corporate rate (under $100); however I looked at the hotel website and learned that they charge $34 for overnight parking. Anyone know if they offer any sort of parking discount/comp parking for Diamonds?
I've had 50% off parking using the AAA S N England rate. I checked rates for Saturday night and the rate comes back at $167.20 + tax and the aforementioned 50% off parking. Best of luck. They treat Diamonds very well at this property.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I just stayed at this hotel last Sunday night. One of the best airport hotels I have ever stayed at. I preferred this property to the Logan Hilton where I usually stay. The staff were friendly and professional. The shuttle came within 10 minutes of my call and when I left for the airport at around 4am, the shuttle arrived at the hotel within 5/10 minutes and took me right away without waiting. The room and view beats the Hilton by far.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I had a nice stay here. Check In at 11AM, A nice updated room with a great view. Room looked very modern and different from the pictures. Nice service at the restaurant for lunch/dinner. I didn't stay long enough for breakfest as I had an early flight. Water Taxi right outside the Hotel.

Nice place, I wouldn't stay here if I was sightseeing but for an airport hotel, this place was good.

One weird thing, you have to validate your parking ticket everytime you want out. It would be smarter to have the keycard do this for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.