Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
This property is scheduled for a renovation starting in the new few months.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
That's good, but doesn't address the service issues. Lots of good staff, but there are not enough of them at the front desk at times and they can be overwhelmed. Sometimes if you call down to the front desk, you can be on hold for more than 20 minutes.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Is there any update for the detail of club lounge?? i.e. open in weekend, food quality, liquor service (champagne..) Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
I just remember that I have stayed at this property in 2005. The funniest thing I experienced is that I took some snacks from the mini-bar just out of curiosity. I then put them back. I was charged for the snacks I took out and put back. I refused to pay and they just erased it from the bill. I was told that they installed remote sensor in the freezer.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tylorcl
The funniest thing I experienced is that I took some snacks from the mini-bar just out of curiosity. I then put them back. I was charged for the snacks I took out and put back. I refused to pay and they just erased it from the bill. I was told that they installed remote sensor in the freezer.
When I was there last weekend, there was a sticker on the fridge explaining that items removed from the mini bar would be immediately charged. I didn't even open the fridge. They had some candy bars sitting in the cabinet next to the fridge, not sure if they were booby-trapped, too.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller
Is there any update for the detail of club lounge?? i.e. open in weekend, food quality, liquor service (champagne..) Thanks
I stayed in late December. RC here was as it always is (for me at least) which is nothing to get excited about. Plus always very crowded, very hard to find a spot to sit especially at breakfast. Food items get depleted quickly, not a very exciting selection to begin with. I much prefer the HR Embarcadero and always regret each time I go with the Grand.

I don't remember any champagne, but then I wouldn't have been looking for it. This RC always seems to be open 7 days/week.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
We used a suite upgrade cert at this property in late January. Per request, we were assigned a north-facing suite, xx06 and xx07, though 28th floor was the highest they could go (out of 34 floors). Part of the reason is that the hotel has a compact footprint, with only 4 to 6 standard rooms (or 2 to 3 suites) typically facing in each direction aside from the corner rooms which have mainly wall frontage.

Before the advent of confirmed suite upgrades, I'd scored a 33rd floor "Bridal Suite" facing north, but this is probably off limits now as an upgrade (except to Courtesy Card holders, meeting arrangers, newly marrieds, or hi-rev repeat guests) since it is a "specialty" or "premier" suite.

Ceilings are low on most floors of this hotel. We opted for a (free) rollaway in the living room for my father-in-law, in place of the sofabed. That made things a little tight, but he had his own full bathroom. A round dining table also was in the living room.

The north-facing (Bay) view is best, facing North Beach, Chinatown, Telegraph Hill, Alcatraz and Angel Islands. No buildings are in the way. One of my first acts was to call Engineering and have them free up the sliding doors onto the balconies (one each room). They'll do this if you sign a waiver. Then you can step out onto the micro-balcony, about a foot wide (!), and take in the marvelous fresh air and glorious view, with great photographic possibilities.

A very unusual feature, for a U.S. hotel, is the free shoeshine. They'll do it in half an hour if you want, room pickup and delivery. But I believe my wife had trouble logging onto the Internet, since you're supposed to incur a charge and have it reversed, instead of more logically entering your room number for a free session.

We found the hors d'oeuvres at the Grand Club, 32nd floor, to be skimpy compared with the HR SF, HR SFO, or the Grand New York. Also, the club is small compared with the aforementioned properties, and gets crowded at breakfast. However, the dessert selection was decent.

For breakfast, we had booked the AAA BREAKF rate, entitling us to visit the Grandviews Restaurant on the top, 36th floor. As usual at Hyatt, the front desk said the rate was good only for the buffet until we pressed the point by referring to the T&C. They then said the three of us could incur $50 in charges instead of the buffet (not sure if 2 people also could have gotten $50). After preliminaries at the club, we ordered intelligently at Grandviews, incurring around $54 including gratuity. The entire charge was removed.

Grandviews truly does have incredible views in both westerly and northerly directions, largely unhindered by other highrises. It's a spectacular setting for dinner or a drink in the adjacent lounge, featuring soft live music instead of the big band and noisy atmosphere of the nearby Intercontinental Mark Hopkins rooftop lounge, the fabled Top of the Mark. The Grand Hyatt has no F&B outlets (except maybe a cart) on the ground floor, or on any level except the top floor.

All in all, a fine stay at a good weekend rate. Recommended.

Last edited by Explore; Feb 17, 2010 at 11:11 pm
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Just finished my first stay here a a Diamond. Booked the highest end "Bay View" room, just under a suite according to the website in terms of pricing.

Was shown into this exact room (read: no upgrade) and then offered a menu of amenities. Chose vodka and cheese plate which the room service chap promptly spilled all over my room making such a mess that the housekeeping staff had to come and clean the room up including vacuuming.

I wasn't offered any room change but did receive a letter from the GM the next morning apologizing (carbon copy of some form letter for screw ups).

Would have been nice to be upgraded or at least to get a room change as a result of their screw up, but, then again, crap happens so... anyhow.. just FYI on this property.
Old May 24, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I read in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...es-thread.html that the valet parking charge here is an additional $41/night, which includes in-out (but I assume the valets will expect tips.....). Does this $41/night include tax or is going to wind up being even higher than that? This seems pretty high to me, but looking at parking alternatives, I don't see many other good options with most Union Square garages being ~$36 per 24hrs and no in-out privilege. What do people usually do for parking here, just bite the valet charge?
Old May 24, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We stay at this hotel frequently. There are really only two options:

Sutter-Stockton Garage across the street; $34 for 24 hours or hourly rates.

Union Square Garage one block away ; $32 for 24 hours or hourly rates.

Here's a link to the rates:
http://www.unionsquareshop.com/parking.html

The website for this hotel shows its parking rate is $49 PLUS TAX.
Old May 24, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA,AA
Does any one know cheaper parking around that area, I am looking about paying around $20 overnight.
Old May 24, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Hearst Parking Garage offers 24 hour parking for $20 per night, but no in-out privileges. Hearst Garage is accessed from Third Street directly across from the Westin Market Street. It is a four block walk (ten minutes) to the Grand Hyatt. I use this parking garage regularly when I stay at Union Square hotels.

http://www.hearstbuildingsf.com/garage.htm

Yelp Reviews
Old May 24, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
The website for this hotel shows its parking rate is $49 PLUS TAX.
Yowzers, I missed that on the website. Thanks for the info. I'm going to plan on staying elsewhere since I have to have a rental on this trip... $60+ after factoring in tax/tips is just too much for me to throw away on parking.
Old May 24, 2010, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by satori
Hearst Parking Garage offers 24 hour parking for $20 per night, but no in-out privileges. Hearst Garage is accessed from Third Street directly across from the Westin Market Street. It is a four block walk (ten minutes) to the Grand Hyatt. I use this parking garage regularly when I stay at Union Square hotels.

http://www.hearstbuildingsf.com/garage.htm

Yelp Reviews
Beware!

There is a nearby parking lot just south of Hearst (completely different side street) that can be much more expensive. There is a reasonable daily rate, but it is not 24 hours; instead you have to be out by some ungodly early hour (well, ungodly for me). Be sure you choose the Hearst garage -- accept no substitutes!
Old May 24, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA,AA
Originally Posted by agrater
Beware!

There is a nearby parking lot just south of Hearst (completely different side street) that can be much more expensive. There is a reasonable daily rate, but it is not 24 hours; instead you have to be out by some ungodly early hour (well, ungodly for me). Be sure you choose the Hearst garage -- accept no substitutes!
Thank you very much for the information

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.