Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt SF for leisure.

Poor customer service at the Front Desk. When you call the Front Desk on the phone, they immediately place you on hold for 5+ minutes before you can reply. When you are at the Front Desk in person, they treat you unprofessionally and rudely. Rooms are very dated, but the location of the property is ideal in Union Square.

Needed to use the ice bucket in the room and found the plastic bag liner torn from Housekeeping. Called Housekeeping and they said it would take 20-30 minutes for a new plastic bag liner to be delivered to the room. Asked if I could go and get one myself and was told that would not be possible. Called the Front Desk. Immediately placed on hold. When I finally speak with someone, I was told either to wait or use the ice bucket without the liner. This was the suggestion from the Front Desk staff.

Needless to say, very poor service at the Grand Hyatt regardless of member status and will not stay at this property again. If they cannot resolve a small issue like a plastic bag, imagine if they had to deal with a real issue.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:34 am

Bumping this up for more recent information, if available. DH may have to stay here in Jan 2009 for a business conference. Have searched, but only found recent info re: shampoo dispensers in bathroom (are they still using these one-piece units?).

Have the rooms been updated - most older posts talk about "tired" rooms and indifferent/unsatisfactory staff? We have no status at Hyatt (co. uses other chains), so I'm not expecting anything special.

If I missed a recent thread, I apologize - please point me to it.

Thanks!!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:32 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Some of the rooms have had a make-over recently in the new "Hyatt Place Brown with iPod Radio Accompaniment" scheme, and it the physical plant overall is no worse than the rest of the mid-range hotels in the area. Otherwise see RTWSTARALLIANCE's post for a pretty clear idea of the place.

The biggest issue is the lack of service, as the front desk runs at a glacial pace. See SF Duke's post above. Orders for room service, maid service, laundry, etc. - basically anything running through the phones to the guest services or front desk will either take an eternity or else not occur at all.

The Park was a nice old hotel with science-fiction decor but amazing service, and I miss it very much.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I prefer the HR at Embarcadero... Great new lounge and nice view.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Anyone stayed here recently? I have a week-end stay coming up here in December. What can I expeted as Diamond? Is the Hyatt Regency preferred? Thanks
I always enjoy the GH SF. You will probably get a high floor room, likely on the Grand Club floor. The lounge has a nice view and decent food options; however, it is an honor bar. The amenity choices are pretty good. Only complaint is that the hotel is often crowded, and with the the tall tower, it can often get pretty busy in the lobby. I would take over the Hyatt Regency.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:32 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Staying here as I write this and must give it a large thumbs down . First, there seems to be a bit of confusion as to whether the FFN award they processed back in September was for tonight or not (I have never stayed at this property before so it better be). At checkin a rather surly young lady checked me in and when I asked if there were any upgrades available (not expecting much) she said sure that she could look into upgrading me to a suite. Then after a few seconds she said they already had me in a room on the 31st floor and asked if that was acceptable (well okay, is this an upgraded room? Grand Club room? A little more detail would be nice). Since she'd mentioned suites I pushed that if there were any available a suite would be nice. She went in back and came back out and told me they absolutely would not upgrade me to a suite (okay why mention it to begin with?). Handed me the keys, and then just stood there, no enjoy your stay, elevators are behind you, or anything to otherwise indicate the checkin process was complete. Had to ask about whether or not there was a lounge to begrudgingly be handed a flyer telling the times and told it was on the 32 floor. Requested that the Diamond Amenity be delivered at 9:00 PM but came back to the room to find out it had already been delivered (needless to say guacamole needs to be chilled or consumed immediately). Called down and requested it be taken away and redelivered at 9PM. Tray was picked up but then redelivered at 8PM . Also given a room immediately next to the housekeeping closet so I expect noise in the AM to be rather intrusive. Will NOT give this property another try.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Any more updates to this

considering this vs Hyatt Regency

looking at the following for a one night stay

1. price
2. club lounge or certs for b/f
3. location for going out for drinks
3. ease to BART

also does this place (or the HR) have the automated kiosk for check in.. those are usually so much faster
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, HY Diamond, ZE Pres
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Any more updates to this

considering this vs Hyatt Regency

looking at the following for a one night stay

1. price
2. club lounge or certs for b/f
3. location for going out for drinks
3. ease to BART

also does this place (or the HR) have the automated kiosk for check in.. those are usually so much faster
I like the Grand Hyatt for its location. Haven't been to the Hyatt Regency in quite a few years, so can't compare the regency club. The GH club is pretty typical, nice snacks in the evening and a great view.

Re BART, the Embarcadero station is adjacent to the hotel. From the Grand Hyatt, it's a five minute walk to either Montgomery or Powell stations.

Re going out, there are a lot of options for either.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
The prices at the Grand Hyatt seem to have edged up over the past year while the prices at the Hyatt have come down a bit. You can sometimes get a good deal on the weekends at both hotels.

There currently is a NCAL5k bonus going on through 4/30/09, but you need a two night stay.

I haven't been to the new HR lounge. The GH lounge is nice, but closes at 9:00 pm. Good views of half the city.

The Powell St. BART station is usually better than Embarcadero bc you are more apt to get a seat at the Powell St. station, no matter which direction you are traveling.

The rooms at the GH are small. They have a tv in the bathroom though.

GH has a kiosk. I've never used it.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I've stayed at the GH more than 30 times.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Both of these hotels the GH San Fran and the HR San Fran are absolute dumps. Why would anyone stay at these hotels given the other choices in town, including the various starwood hotels, IC, the Clift. At the GH the bathrooms are moldy, beds sheets have long and tiny hairs on them, pillows smell very bad, drapes stink, rug is sticky, mini-bar crusty. The same holds true for the HR. These are really bad hotels.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I've stayed at both of these hotels several times a year over many years. I have never found this to be the case. They are immaculate - an I'm fussy.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy
Both of these hotels the GH San Fran and the HR San Fran are absolute dumps. Why would anyone stay at these hotels given the other choices in town, including the various starwood hotels, IC, the Clift.
You must not have stayed at the same GH SF I stayed in. Your comments make it sound like a Red Roof Inn or worst. I have stayed here many times and never noticed the issues mentioned. Have you stayed at the Westin next door? I don't believe the Westin is anywhere close to the GH. There are very few hotels in the area that offer the views of SF this hotel offers. And I don't think the rooms are as dated as the rooms at the *wood Palace hotel down the street. Overall GH SF is not a 5* (maybe a 4) hotel but it does not deserve the negative report you've offered. Maybe it was just a bad room. But is odd you had similar bad experiences at both hotels.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
I'm currently at the Grand Hyatt on the 34th floor Regency Club floor. The 34th floor rooms have been recently refurbished. However they still have not put flat screen TVs in the rooms. I typically stay here around 6 times a year. My stays have alway been very positive.

I looked around for hairs. Did not see any.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:48 am

Wife and I have a four-day stay at GH-SF in July on the way back from Hawaii.

Have no status, but have been confirmed as uprading with points to a site.

Checking the site carefully, on the list of room variations they list as "suites"
-"Executive Suite" and "Presidential Suite".

From the description and the photo the Executive Suite would be 100% fine by us.

However, some digging causes me to wonder about what, in the listing of rooms they list is "Bridal-Hospitality." (There's also a mention earlier on in this thread as to the Executive being peferable.)

Is the Bridal-Hospitality a suite in the truest sense, or would it be two rooms veing made contiguous via a connecting entry way? One of the roomshousing a King Bed, the other a Murphy bed? .

Should we be requesting Executive over Bridal-Hospitality or vice versa?

I guess what I'm asking is, "which would be nicer" (and relatively obtainable) and should I make a concerted effort to get a good chance of getting it.

PS - Arrival from HNL will be in the evening and I don't see getting to the hotel before (:30 PM (if this makes a difference).

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Last edited by rahmanbar; Apr 23, 2009 at 5:49 am Reason: /spelling
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:30 am
YYC

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lswcih
I'm currently at the Grand Hyatt on the 34th floor Regency Club floor. The 34th floor rooms have been recently refurbished. However they still have not put flat screen TVs in the rooms. I typically stay here around 6 times a year. My stays have alway been very positive.

I looked around for hairs. Did not see any.
Stayed at GH SF for four days last week. The property is dated and the rooms are small. The Grand Club on the 32th floor is small too. However I was quite satisfied with the overall cleanliness, and didn't notice any fine long hair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.