Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Austin DT/Town Lake REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Austin DT/Town Lake REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Hyatt Regency Austin was great. Service was top notch. Used a DSU for our four nights, had a Deluxe Suite. Plenty of room, great view. Ordered breakfast each morning, room service, was taken off as a Diamond member. Room was well appointed, about 1200 Sqr feet. Fridge/coffee maker/8 person high back dining room table. Mollie, Concierge, even stocked fridge with sodas, juices, waters. Cookies sent up! ^. ACL music festival was a blast. Would return
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I have stayed at this hotel the past two years for the Austin MegaDO, and will be staying again this weekend. The staff are very friendly, the property has a decent location, and the walk to downtown isn't too bad. Have always had great treatment as a Diamond (last year came with a comp suite u/g).

Just a head's up for those booking in the next several months:

Hyatt Regency Austin will be enhancing our guest experience by refurbishing our guest rooms starting February 12th through December 24th.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A rare Hyatt stay for me. I'm usually a Hilton guy so it was interesting to see the competition.

Location: On Congress Street just south of the river. An easy drive to the airport (15-20 minutes with no traffic) and the bars on 6th Street are an easy walk. Walking to Rainey Street is also doable but it's a bit longer. Annoyingly, you have to walk all the way around the building to get to Congress Street which adds time to your walk.

Hotel: Definitely an older property and in need of some of the repairs mentioned upthread. Thankfully, it's still a good place to stay. The hotel is built with a large central atrium that's attractive to look at. The lobby is large and inviting and there are enough check-in desks. The restaurant where breakfast is served is on the second floor though that means going past the convention areas which can be noisy. Note, parking is $19 a day in an attached garage but street parking can be found not too far away.

Room: I was splitting a suite with two friends. It's nice that you can get a suite with two twin beds and a pull out couch. The room was pretty nice, I liked that there were outlets by the bed and the size of the living room. Plus, there were nice amenities like a Keurig with coffee. However, the Wifi was terrible, almost unusable at times.

Breakfast/Other: One of us was a Hyatt Diamond so we had breakfast. Options were anything off the menu or the buffet. I had the Eggs Benedict which were good, but breakfast was terrible understaffed so getting food took a half hour. The buffet is extensive, omelet bar, Southwest Options including beans and tortillas, pastries, breads, cereal, hot food, yogurt, fruit etc. I will also give credit to all the staff I dealt with, they were very friendly.

Overall, a decent property and a nice stay, I'd be back.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
Breakfast/Other: One of us was a Hyatt Diamond so we had breakfast. Options were anything off the menu or the buffet. I had the Eggs Benedict which were good, but breakfast was terrible understaffed so getting food took a half hour. The buffet is extensive, omelet bar, Southwest Options including beans and tortillas, pastries, breads, cereal, hot food, yogurt, fruit etc. I will also give credit to all the staff I dealt with, they were very friendly.

Overall, a decent property and a nice stay, I'd be back.
Funny that you say they are understaffed. I was there a few weekends ago, and there was hardly anybody in the restaurant. The staff were standing around doing nothing!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by britishcanuck
Funny that you say they are understaffed. I was there a few weekends ago, and there was hardly anybody in the restaurant. The staff were standing around doing nothing!
As always, my timing is terrible! We were waiting 5 minutes after asking a server for beverage refills.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I stayed here over new year's when I was in town for a friend's wedding and had a good experience. Used a DSU and had a suite on the 5th floor - not sure if they have suites on higher floors. Great view looking out over the lake and could access the trails around the lake right out the back door of the hotel.

Breakfast was great - nice buffett, omelette bar- but the service was almost a little too friendly and helpful. The first day i I asked the hostess whether everything - buffett, menu items - was included for the diamond breakfast. She didn't know and asked the head server and once he knew i was a diamond, the service was over the top. I'd order an omelette and the server would bring me mine to the table while everyone else in line waited there for theirs to finish cooking. i appreciate the good service, but I felt a little embarrassed since since it seemed a little obvious they were treating me better than everyone else.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by XCstud
I stayed here over new year's when I was in town for a friend's wedding and had a good experience. Used a DSU and had a suite on the 5th floor - not sure if they have suites on higher floors. Great view looking out over the lake and could access the trails around the lake right out the back door of the hotel.
There are suites on both the 5th floor, the 6th floor (where I stayed) and also on the two highest floors (which are currently under construction)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
There are suites on both the 5th floor, the 6th floor (where I stayed) and also on the two highest floors (which are currently under construction)

What are you talking about? The Hyatt has been around for many years. They are not constructing any new floors!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by HookEm
What are you talking about? The Hyatt has been around for many years. They are not constructing any new floors!
All guest rooms are being remodeled, starting with the top two floors. They are currently under construction....

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Mar 4, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
Noisy during renovations?

considering a 4 day stay here in Mid July.

Any feedback on how noisy it is during the renovations?

Also would appreciate suggestions on best room location - for view but also avoiding construction sounds.

thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:47 am

Hi everyone, will be staying here 7/8-7/12...can anyone give me info on what kind of a suite a DSU books into? am looking for one with two twins and a pull out couch if at all possible.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:56 pm

Just checked in here today. Everything was pretty seamless. Early check in at noon, dsu was applied and received a nice suite with two doubles (my request). They remembered all my preferences and had them waiting in my room for me (love that, one the few regencies that remember). Note they said that they are renovating their suites last so while our suite is nice and spacious it's still older.

Halfway into my stay now, really liking the hotel. the gym is very nice while not extensive as some of the others I have used it is definitely very good. The staff here are excellent so far, from housekeeping to their breakfast buffet staff. If any of you stay here and they have French toast on the buffet make sure not to miss it. It is unlike any french toast I have ever had, amazing!

The hotel is showing its age but the staff makes up for it. They are working on renovations and thankfully the suite we are in is far enough away that we cannot hear it as they work (work begins at 8am). It is very loud though when we eat breakfast. Should be a great hotel after the much needed renovation.

For you family travellers. DSU books into a true suite and you can choose whether the connected room is a king or a two double room. Was able to fit a rollaway in the connecting parlor and it has a pull out couch. Comfortably fit my family of 7 in one suite (I do have some very little ones).

Last edited by ZBigFam; Jul 10, 2015 at 7:27 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:39 am

Does anyone know of any cheap parking near the hotel?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Does anyone know of any cheap parking near the hotel?
Closest free overnight parking I can think of is over on Bouldin. I think Haywood has put up parking limit signs, but its been a few weeks since I walked over there and I cant recall.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

New Year\'s Eve Stay- Two people with the same name at the same hotel?

Hyatt Regency Austin

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Austin

208 Barton Springs Rd Austin, TX US 78704

New Year's Eve Stay- Two people with the same name at the same hotel? (0 Photo)

Hyatt Regency Austin

Check In

Check in went very well, with the room ready before noon. We were on the twelfth floor in a newly-renovated room partially facing the river. As a Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum member (from holding the credit card), I was recognized at check-in. I’m not sure that it really helped with the room selection, but hey, the room had a decent enough view and was newly renovated

Service

We left to explore Austin, walking all the way down Congress Avenue to the Capitol Building, then past that the LBJ Presidential Library. The Capitol Building is free to explore, and the LBJ Library is a reasonable $11, with students getting in for only $2. After this trip, I’ve visited 5 presidential libraries, which are always worth a visit.

We came back to the hotel to freshen up for New Year’s Eve, and that’s when the weirdness started. While I was in the shower, someone tried to access our room, startling my girlfriend. We called down to the desk to ask how this could have happened- and apparently, there were two Mark Jacksons staying in the hotel that night. I understood it was an honest mistake, but it was startling nonetheless. The hotel really shined in responding to the incident- new keys were delivered, breakfast and drinks were given, and 15,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points were also deposited in my account. So, this free night actually earned me miles!

Dining

Newly minted with free drinks, we journeyed down to the Marker 10 for drinks in the lobby. I was impressed that their “house” beers were all local ones, so we had the Live Oak Hefeweizen and then headed off to dinner.

A note to people checking in- this hotel is loud. The atrium really makes normal conversation echo, and that’s the reason you’ll find ear plugs provided for you in each room, as well as an invitation to download a white noise app.

The next morning, breakfast was served in the Southwest Bistro. A standard hotel buffet, it was quite nice. Lots of southwest accents, like biscuits and tostadas. Breakfast certificates include tax and tip, which is nice as well. It’s always a little annoying when “free” breakfast doesn’t include these things.

The Hyatt Regency Austin is located across Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake to those who actually were raised here) from Downtown Austin, built in 1981. It took the place of the tallest hotel in Austin, passing the Stephen F. Austin (now anIntercontinental Hotel). The hotel was fully renovated in 2009, and in 2013, the hoteladded a ballroom and a parking garage.

Being right on the lake, the hotel has direct access to thehike-and-bike trail, which is over ten miles long and runs past landmarks like the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue. It’s also a few blocks away from the South Congress shopping district, full of hip shops and restaurants. All in all, it’s incredibly located, and an easy $5 Uber/Lyft or longer walk away from everything downtown offers.

Overall

All in all, I would consider staying at the Hyatt Regency Austin again. While the hotel made a mistake, they recovered nicely. And, the location really makes it easy to explore all that Austin has to offer. If you liked my review, check out my other reviews at my blog at http://www.thetravelplaybook.com

New Year's Eve Stay- Two people with the same name at the same hotel?

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Austin?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.