Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sharm El Sheikh (Hyatt) & Taba Heights (NO LONGER HYATT) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2002, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Anyone ever stayed at the egyptian resorts? How would you rate them? Which is the better choice Taba or Sharm el Sheikh? How is food and how are the rooms? Can the grounds and pools compare to the Hawaii or Bali properties? Also how are the chances of getting upgrades...

Muerz
Old Jul 3, 2002, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Just bringing this back on top as I still have not decided on where to go on holidays but Sharm el Sheikh is really that cheap at the moment and I doubt a bit about the quality of the hotel. If anyone has been to the Sharm Hyatt or some other hotel in Sharm el Sheikh, please shed some light on the destination! I saw that halfboard is an option at this Hyatt. Is it worth taking? How is their breakfast buffet? Egg and Waffle Station available? How are they about giving upgrades?

Muerz
Old Jul 3, 2002, 7:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Muerz
I haven't stayed at the Hyatt in Sharm, but did stay at the Sonesta ( a 4*) last year. Based on that, and my experiences at the Hyatt in Amman, I would say that:

Sharm has *no* scenery to speak of - forget comaprisons with Bali and Hawaii, think more like an urban building site in Arizona (nothing against AZ, never been there, but from the movies I think it has similar desert to Sharm )

Sharm does have fantastic weather (hot n dry), dramatic deserts, great diving/snorkelling, and few crowds (at this time especially).

Hotels in Sharm are generally good value, and again especially so now.

The Hyatt will be fine, but not fantastic - amenities, etc will be as you expect, setting will be okay (they have to do one helluva lot of watering to keep the greenery alive), service will be okay-ish (by US/Bali standards, good for Egypt - there is not the same culture of service you may have found elsewhere).

In summary, if you dive/want to leatrn to dive/snorkel, then go tomorrow - otherwise, be prepared to find the whole experience a little ... lacking.

Hope that helps
Stewart
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Sharm-el-Sheikh in-hotel update

Just writing these lines at the Sharm-el-Sheikh Hyatt and must say that I'm rather impressed with the property. Very nice pools, good restaurants, well furnished rooms but only so-so service in some places (Bars, Restaurants). Room upgraded to a better view prior to arrival. A complete review will be available upon return and will of course be published on my Hyatt review website at www.union.lu/hyatt

Muerz
Old Nov 13, 2004, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Isn't that the town where terrorists recently destroyed a Hilton resort?
Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:21 am

Have stayed in Hyatt Regency Sharm el Sheikh over Xmas/New Year two years ago - its the best resort in the area, and it has its own private beaches (2). The resort has several dining options, pools and bars, and the rooms are large and very confortable. There is a Regency Club also, with its own breakfast room, and its own swimming pool.

This is the kind of place, where one can stay a week without leaving the resort - there is not much to see around Sharm el Sheikh. The hotel concierge can arrange for private or group tours - one I recommend is a full day tour to St Catherine's Monastery in the Sinai Desert - this 6th Century convent fortress houses Moses' Bush and overlooks Moses Mount - its definetely a must-do if you are in Sharm el Sheikh.

The resort is quite large and its boundaries are have security men, so the whole resort is secure. Taba, where there was an explosion a few weeks ago, is some 200 Km away - as you can expect, security in the Sharm el Sheikh, would have been stepped up since this incident - therefore I would feel quite safe going to Sharm el Sheikh.

Check out the hotel site with lots of information at sharm.regency.hyatt.com
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
I got upgraded to a standard club room at Sharm on an award stay. Though I can't speak for the suites, the standard room was beautifully furnished.

Club access is a great benefit in itself. With continental breakfast, soft drinks provided all day, and alchoholic beverages and hor dourves in the evening, the food options are great. The club has it's own uncrowded pool - convenient and great for quiet relaxation (though you'll want to visit the main pool for it's exciting slides/rivers and beautiful foliage at some point). The club has a computer with free (but slow) dial-up internet access. They also have a library of paperback books and some board games. Club staff were very helpful. The photos of the club pool and interior on the Hyatt website are accurate - not sure if the photo of the suite is from the property or a stock photograph.

Be sure to spend one night's dinner at the Souk. It was a great outdoor dining experience.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:16 pm

Egyptian Resorts: Taba Heights and Sharm el Sheikh

Following a conference in Jordan last month, I paid short visits to the two Hyatt Resorts in Sinai, Egypt and I would like to share my impressions.

Both of these resorts are exceptional properties and exceptional value. They are both classified as category 1 for awards, and the mid-week rates are quite affordable ($90 at Taba Heights and about $120 at Sharm) if you wish to save your points.

Both resorts are situated on the Red Sea. There are modern, well maintained and extensive measures have been taken to ensure security, including several check points, x-ray machines, guards and the somewhat inconvenient - but very welcome, given the location - practice of making all guests disembark from their taxis/cars at the main gate and continuing to reception in golf carts.

Taba heights is located within a few miles of the border with Israel and the Hyatt is one of several resorts located in the Taba Heights Village. Other resorts include the Marriott and a Sofitel. Taba Heights does not have a Regency Club, but there is excellent recognition given to Diamonds, including:
* welcome amenity (fruit basket) upon arrival;
* free upgrade to the most superior room (Lagoon);
* complimentary continental breakfast (can be served in room);
* one complimentary coffee or tea of soft beverage daily in any restaurant;
* free use of tennis courts;
* 25% discount on spa treatments;
* Late check-out till 6pm upon request.

Taba Heights has extensive water sports facilities, seven restaurants and several bars.

I would be very happy to return again if I happened to be in the area. I cannot imagine making a specific journey to get there.

The Hyatt Regency Sharm el Sheikh is 200 km south of Taba and is another exceptional property that (in my view) rivals Kauai, but on a smaller scale.
Sharm offers extensive water sports facilities (includint a "Water World") and tennis facilities. There is also a Kids Club and children's activity center.

As a Diamond, I was upgraded to a very large ocean view room in the Regency Club. The room had its own private verandah with sun chairs and table. The Regency Club has its own private swimming pools and beach and was not crowded in any way. The Regency Club offered a continantal breakfast, soft drinks and coffee during the day and a happy hour in the evening. The food offerings were mostly in the nature of snacks (cookies, peanuts, crackers, cheese, etc.

I would be very happy to return again if I happened to be in the area. I cannot imagine making a specific journey to get there.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
I agree with the review on the Taba Heights property. Very nice property. The only thing to be aware of is that this hotel is off the beaten path. It is difficult to get to unless you have a private car. Also once you get to the resort, all of the prices for excursions are in euros and extremely expensive. I felt like I was in Europe rather than in Egypt. I think this is because the majority of the guests are european travelers who come on pacakaged tours. I did not find anyone else who did not come on a packaged tour while I was there. There is also little to do outside of the common area shared by Sofitel, Marriott, and Hyatt, and it is not accessible to any local shops or villages.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:49 am
Community Director Emerita

bondiboy has given an excellent review on the Sharm property. Here are a few additional bits.

Airport to hotel
We did not prebook a hotel car, so walked out to the taxi rank on arrival. We were quoted prices that ranged as high as 120 Egyptian pounds. In fact, there is a fixed price of 35 LE for the trip. (The current rate is roughly 5 LE/1 USD.)

Arrival
Taxis are not allowed on the hotel property; you are dropped off at the front gate. This is a consequence of the bombing in Naama Bay 18 months ago; it is an edict of the police and not a hotel driven policy.

The fellows at the entry called a hotel golf cart to come up and take us to reception. We had been upgraded to the Regency Club, so we and our suitcases then had to be put on the golf cart again for a trip there. It would have been good if they had taken our name at the entry point and called it in, so that we were immediately taken to the Regency Club. Regardless, we were glad of the upgrade.

We were initially given an ocean view room, but we did not like the view over the roof top of the building in front of us. We eventually got an ocean front room.

Rates
Rates never fluctuated from $200/night for the several months I monitored them, despite our dates being during Ramadan and the hotel being about 60% full. I used 5000 points per night, which was good value.

Breakfast
We are allowed to chose breakfast in either the Regency Club or the main breakfast room each day.

Internet
We were told that there is a fee to use the computer in the Regency Club. It is $20/half hour or $60/2 hours. There are internet cafes along the road, so we have paid the price for a hotel car to take us to one, then take a taxi back to the hotel, for a substantial savings. (Hotel car ( Mitsubishi) is 40 LE; return taxi is 20 LE.)

Hotel layout
The hotel is huge and sprawling. It is quite a hike between various points. Staff is happy to arrange a golf cart pick up; although we are learning our way around on foot with time. The hotel was too big for me, though I did enjoy the various offerings. There is an excellent restaurant on the beach that is only open for lunch til 5pm; it serves good food in a beautiful setting.

House reef
We don't dive - but we heard several folks extoll the fact that the hotel has its own house reef. One couple, with a small child, said they could suit up, dive, and be back in two hours, which made it great since they needed a babysitter for their small daughter.

Conclusion
Beautiful hotel, lots to do, simply too big for us. The Regency Club failed to be a hotel within a hotel, due to rooms being far from it. What drives us in hotels is very personal - and for me, I would not return.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 10, 2006 at 9:18 am
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Just returned from a long weekend at the Hyatt in Sharm El Sheik and it was great and all for $150 a night plus taxes. We had accidentally chosen a very quiet week - apparently this week will be packed to the rafters.

The concierge arranged for a Mercedes limousine to pick us up - $25 but well worth it. We were upgraded to RC with sea view so shuttled over to check in at the RC which is run by the charming Olga and Nina. All the staff there are amazingly friendly and will do anything they can to make your stay more enjoyable.

They are just renovating the RC rooms, ours was in the old style but still OK - the new ones (we peeked) look very good. The RC itself is very good with a great breakfast selection, soft drinks during the day and free bar and very good food from 5:30 to 7:30. It only got busy on one occassion but the staff still managed to cope. You can also get lunch at the RC which is cheaper than the other restaurants. There's also a separate RC pool and beach off of which is the reef. You will never see so many varieties of fish within a few feet of the waters edge and many are very tame.

The Thai restaurant is very good and reasonably priced and the Egyptian wine isn't that bad - unless you want to pay $80 for a table wine IMHO avoid the Souk - the food is mediocre and expensive and the pricing is confusing - they issue with Gold coins which are worth 20 Egyptian Pounds each. I guess the extra expense is to pay for the entertainment but don't bother!

Late check out until 4PM - no problem. We tried to wheel our bag back to the main reception and we were "caught" by a man in a golf buggy who insisted that he drive us to reception and then we caught the free shuttle to the airport

Definitely going again
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
They are just renovating the RC rooms, ours was in the old style but still OK - the new ones (we peeked) look very good.
Could you please comment on how the renovated rooms are different than the older ones?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Muerz
Could you please comment on how the renovated rooms are different than the older ones?
The bathrooms have been updated. The bedrooms have been gutted and redecorated and they were having new furniture installed last week. The furniture looked to be of better quality than the existing. They hadn't got to fitting the new TV's but lots of boxes outside.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you readily do a day trip from Taba to Petra? Any idea about what it might cost or how it might be done?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Daytrips to Petra or St.Catherine's Monastary can be arranged through the Resort Centre Desk (Sharm) or the Concierge (in Taba). You could even check with the representitives of the major tour operators at the hotel. Their prices might be less expensive and I'm sure they welcome your business. Most of these trips are organized and run once or twice weekly for the entire resort towns. More personalized trips might be available, cannot comment on that though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.