Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:34 pm

Unfortunately we have no status, and is only getting the room from the Hyatt cc. I'm sure we will end up at the NY bar once before going out. Likely for drinks we will go out to other bars, but I just wanted to get a nice bottle of liquor to have to relax if I want a drink before going to sleep without paying $20 a shot. Can you bring drinks to the pool (I'm sure in plastic cups)?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by edh101985
Can you bring drinks to the pool (I'm sure in plastic cups)?
There's a sign at the entrance with a long list of things that you can't do, and I am pretty sure that that was one of them.

However, you can have room service delivered to one of the tables near the room.

There is, of course, all the bottled water you can drink, but I guess that that isn't what you had in mind...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:22 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
My partner is Diamond. We will taking our nieces (ages 19 and 21) to Tokyo next summer, staying in two rooms at the Park Hyatt, both on points from my partner's account. Will his Diamond benefits apply to both rooms? Specifically, will both rooms be upgraded, and will all four of us receive complimentary breakfast and complimentary alcohol from 5-7 PM in the NY Bar?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Well, boys and girls, I've been staying at the Park Hyatt at least a couple times a year since 1999, and I have seen it slowly deflate from what I thought was the finest hotel in the world to the merely very good.

It's still worth a stay, but it is no longer a destination hotel. The list of grievances from my last stay:
  • The luggage took about 30 minutes and two phone calls to be delivered to our room.
  • The internet was slow as hell, and constantly dropped signal. Having said that, the GHT had similar (but not as bad) issues when I stayed there later in the week.
  • Getting chintzy with the toiletries. Still the fine Aesop schmaltz, but before you'd get a serving in the shower and one with the tub. Now it's only the one in the shower.
  • Paid for two nights (one at the extortionate Diamond guaranteed rate) and the last night on points. Was "upgraded" to a Park Deluxe for the first two nights, and when I was checking in at the room, the factotum told me that I would have to move to another room for the last night. That's just cheapskate stuff. If you're making me move, don't "upgrade" me, and if you do "upgrade" me, don't make me move. I told them where they could stick their proposed room move, and to their "credit" I got a call later that day from one of the room managers saying I could stay in my original room for all three nights. But this is by-the-book pedanterie that has no place in a hotel of that category.
  • Minimal Diamond recognition. A letter from the rooms manager, and some forlorn cookies. Compare that to a bottle of wine, grapes, and sparkling water at the GHT, and fresh fruit and sparkling water at the Hyatt in Kyoto. No mention of the New York Bar Happy Hour. Would be none the wiser if I didn't read it here in FT.
  • Breakfast remains very good, but of the three days I had breakfast there, only one was I offered the opportunity to see a menu and order eggs. I knew I could ask for them, but one would expect that to come on its own. You know, it's a restaurant.
  • And the clincher was upon check out, I noticed that the folio had "0 eligible nights" and only the incidentals as points. I told the factotum checking me out that this was a problem, and she pushed back saying that this is only for the last night, and everything would be OK after processing by the system. I knew that wasn't the case, this was a setup for a cockup, and indeed it was. Had to remedy it with a phone call that could have been avoided if the factotum had the slightest interest in doing her job.

And factotums they were. I've noticed a material decay in the proactiveness, flexibility, and overall omotenashii of the PHT staff over the years. They are tin-eared and reactive, and not very well attuned maintaining the guest's well-being. I guess the good ones are all at the Peninsula, the Ritz, the MO, and the FS now.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Pickles
Well, boys and girls, I've been staying at the Park Hyatt at least a couple times a year since 1999, and I have seen it slowly deflate from what I thought was the finest hotel in the world to the merely very good.

It's still worth a stay, but it is no longer a destination hotel. The list of grievances from my last stay:
  • The luggage took about 30 minutes and two phone calls to be delivered to our room.
  • The internet was slow as hell, and constantly dropped signal. Having said that, the GHT had similar (but not as bad) issues when I stayed there later in the week.
  • Getting chintzy with the toiletries. Still the fine Aesop schmaltz, but before you'd get a serving in the shower and one with the tub. Now it's only the one in the shower.
  • Paid for two nights (one at the extortionate Diamond guaranteed rate) and the last night on points. Was "upgraded" to a Park Deluxe for the first two nights, and when I was checking in at the room, the factotum told me that I would have to move to another room for the last night. That's just cheapskate stuff. If you're making me move, don't "upgrade" me, and if you do "upgrade" me, don't make me move. I told them where they could stick their proposed room move, and to their "credit" I got a call later that day from one of the room managers saying I could stay in my original room for all three nights. But this is by-the-book pedanterie that has no place in a hotel of that category.
  • Minimal Diamond recognition. A letter from the rooms manager, and some forlorn cookies. Compare that to a bottle of wine, grapes, and sparkling water at the GHT, and fresh fruit and sparkling water at the Hyatt in Kyoto. No mention of the New York Bar Happy Hour. Would be none the wiser if I didn't read it here in FT.
  • Breakfast remains very good, but of the three days I had breakfast there, only one was I offered the opportunity to see a menu and order eggs. I knew I could ask for them, but one would expect that to come on its own. You know, it's a restaurant.
  • And the clincher was upon check out, I noticed that the folio had "0 eligible nights" and only the incidentals as points. I told the factotum checking me out that this was a problem, and she pushed back saying that this is only for the last night, and everything would be OK after processing by the system. I knew that wasn't the case, this was a setup for a cockup, and indeed it was. Had to remedy it with a phone call that could have been avoided if the factotum had the slightest interest in doing her job.

And factotums they were. I've noticed a material decay in the proactiveness, flexibility, and overall omotenashii of the PHT staff over the years. They are tin-eared and reactive, and not very well attuned maintaining the guest's well-being. I guess the good ones are all at the Peninsula, the Ritz, the MO, and the FS now.
omotenashi in Japan is mostely tatemae, no matter where you go. Just some are better at it than others, just as some 'fresh' juice is fresher than others, depending on how long it took to get here from Florida, and some 'wagyu' is more Japanese than others, depending on how much Japanese beef lard they inject into the Australian meat. Well, at least the only ones listening in on the phones/internet is the US NSA.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
omotenashi in Japan is mostely tatemae, no matter where you go. Just some are better at it than others, just as some 'fresh' juice is fresher than others, depending on how long it took to get here from Florida, and some 'wagyu' is more Japanese than others, depending on how much Japanese beef lard they inject into the Australian meat. Well, at least the only ones listening in on the phones/internet is the US NSA.
I've spent enough time in Japan to conclude that omotenashi can be the real deal. Not at the PHT, though.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I've spent enough time in Japan to conclude that omotenashi can be the real deal. Not at the PHT, though.
After 35 years here, I rarely see it now, but even in Tokyo there's still a strong gaijin complex. Maybe I'm too cynical, but at HR Kyoto the omotenashi spreads very thinly and unevenly. Staying at PHT on FFT nights, the check-in receptionist looked at me like I was a cockroach; but the room service staff were exceptional. I'm now inclined to assess only hard product.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Originally Posted by Kurosawa22

Also, is this fairly normal practice? To contact the concierge a few months in advance to make reservations? I've never done that before as I've never seen so many popular restaurants without an online booking system!
Just chiming in here, albeit a little late. My wife and I stayed at the PHT last May, which was an amazing experience (we were there on trial Diamond). I booked the reservation about 4-5 months ahead of time.

More impressively, we wanted to eat at a sushi place in Kanazawa that only took reservations in Japanese. Keep in mind this restaurant was hundreds of miles away, and we wanted to eat there while staying at a hotel in Kanazawa. The PH concierge gladly made reservations for us, and the meal ended up being mind-blowingly good.

The concierge team at the PH is top-notch if you know what you want. Just make sure to stay on top of them, and I wouldn't bother asking them for recommendations as they're likely to point you to something they think a Westerner would like, not necessarily what's good.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:23 am

It's a real shame to hear this. It was a fine hotel back when I was a regular, so I should probably never return to avoid disappointment. The inflexibility and other issues you encountered sound really unacceptable.

As far as I am concerned The Peninsula is currently the best by far in terms of service, but MO is quite good as well. While service is not generally of the same level at GHT, suite upgrades there provide excellent value and the location is fantastic.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

Interesting observations. I bolded the ones I agree with or that I have experienced myself.

That rate must have been outrageous... anyway...

The toiletries I found were not replaced daily if they bottles in the shower were half or even 3/4 empty. I called and ordered a set of 3x extra.

More than once have I brought it up with them when they stopped putting the Diamond Benefits down on paper as it used to be for quiet some time. The Problem I have with their Diamond Benefits is the amenity. They still refuse to give the 1W on Points Stays which is clearly in violation of the GP Rules. I have to call in every single time and recently the Hyatt Associate mentioned she heard a lot of complaints about this matter. The Hotel doesn't seem to care, obviously Hyatt Corporate doesn't penalize them. So I usually get a bottle of red wine which is nice but not always needed. I don't drink by myself in the room and even with company I'm not always in the mood for wine especially not without food/cheese.

That room change situation is ridiculous and given your rate you should have been upgraded to a suite. There is no way they sold all their suites as well.

I also find the front desk to become sloppy and less attentive, even small things are a problem that take forever to be resolved or appropriately attended to.

Overall I'm still satisfied though, it's still a good hotel. I will not redeem future awards however. It's not worth 30k.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only started staying at the PHT since last summer, but I too have noticed a material decline in the quality since then. Chintzier Diamond amenities, requiring a night's notice for Japanese breakfast, lowering the quantity of Aesop amenities in the room, and a decline in the overall "omotenashi" (I hate that word, but it seems to fit, so...) of the staff.

However, as everyone else with a complaint has pointed out, it is still a very good hotel. And they DO provide just about everything that they used to, from the Diamond amenity we really liked from our first visit, to all the Aesop I ask for from housecleaning. I've never seen them turn down an on-the-spot request for Japanese breakfast if you ask. And even if they don't anticipate our needs, if we ask, we generally receive.

So I believe that the PHT still has the capacity and capability to be what they've always been, and they are when they need to be. It seems that they are simply trying to see what they can get away with not doing anymore.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a regular enough guest to notice even subtle differences from stay to stay. While I've not experienced the issues related in the posts above (possibly because my preferences are well-observed and in their records), I have seen some small changes that I regard as negative.

For example, on one occasion on each of my last two stays, someone at the front desk gave me clearly silly misinformation. Overall, there are more new staff members who seem not as well trained as they should be.

I also don't like that now, when you call the hotel operator with a simple request, they don't just take care of it. Instead, they put you on hold while connecting you to the appropriate department where you have to explain the request again. I can understand that with a complex room service order; I cannot understand it with a simple request for a few towels.

In fairness, I did observe a few positive changes as well. I really like that now the shuttle runs all day without breaks, every 20 minutes in each direction. I asked and this did require adding a second driver, so the change did not come for free.

I think what people are experiencing is the reality that the PHT is in a much more competitive landscape where the true hotel high rollers will go to, and pay more for, the newer luxury hotels. As everyone has noted, the PHT is still an outstanding hotel by any reasonable standard and, when truly required, can and will pull off near-miracles.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Overall I'm still satisfied though, it's still a good hotel. I will not redeem future awards however. It's not worth 30k.
I am forming this view, not worth 30K. Having said that, our corporate rate at the PHT is lower than that at the GHT, so I will continue staying there on weekends and such when I could use the stay credit.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
So I believe that the PHT still has the capacity and capability to be what they've always been, and they are when they need to be. It seems that they are simply trying to see what they can get away with not doing anymore.
Agree. Having said that, it's a shame this is the business model given how gorgeous the physical plant is. Reminds me (not as bad, of course) of the Marina Bay Sands. Excellent facilities, stunning building, with some of the worst soft product known to man, bad even for Singapore. The cognitive dissonance is disturbing.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree. Having said that, it's a shame this is the business model given how gorgeous the physical plant is. Reminds me (not as bad, of course) of the Marina Bay Sands. Excellent facilities, stunning building, with some of the worst soft product known to man, bad even for Singapore. The cognitive dissonance is disturbing.
But hasn't Marina Bay Sands always been that way? It's not like they've changed dramatically in a couple of years.

MBS to me is the anti-PHT: a huge, sprawling place with fantastic location that doesn't have the resources or capacity to cater to a luxury crowd (though I did greatly enjoy the club lounge and infinity pool) It's more like GHT with a casino.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.