Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The PH is the exception... the GH and HR both charge extra for 2 vs 1 persons (in the same room).
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't think that's the case at the PH.
Looks like you're right. I never tried it at Park Hyatt before, but assumed that it would be the same as the Grand Hyatt.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Review of December Stay

Returned here back in December for a stay in a View Room (requested an upgrade as part of a diamond challenge).

PROS
+ View Room was a great upgrade from a deluxe room, awesome view of Mt. Fuji
+ Room was up to date, minimalist, and very comfortable
+ Still loving that Japanese breakfast
+ Extras - sauna, diamond happy hour, NY Bar - still lovin' it.
+ Service - we ended up missing the shuttle to Shinjuku while we were talking with the concierge, so they arranged for a car to drop us off on our own.

CONS
- PHT is a bit of a walk to Shinjuku, though this is mitigated by the shuttle.
- A bit pricey. They ran out of award nights, but I managed to find a BRG, luckily. It was still around $400 per night.

On the wacky side, we managed to lift weights at the PHT gym two days in a row with Arnold Schwarzenegger who was there promoting Escape Plan. The PHT is apparently still a good go-to hotel for celebrities, if you're into that kind of thing.

Full review with pictures at the ol' blog.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:52 pm

Mister Selfish - I love your blog! Reading the Tokyo posts now before bed and it makes me want to go back ASAP. The Schwarzenegger pic was awesome.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MisterSelfish
Returned here back in December for a stay in a View Room (requested an upgrade as part of a diamond challenge).

PROS
+ Service - we ended up missing the shuttle to Shinjuku while we were talking with the concierge, so they arranged for a car to drop us off on our own.

CONS
- A bit pricey. They ran out of award nights, but I managed to find a BRG, luckily. It was still around $400 per night.

On the wacky side, we managed to lift weights at the PHT gym two days in a row with Arnold Schwarzenegger who was there promoting Escape Plan. The PHT is apparently still a good go-to hotel for celebrities, if you're into that kind of thing.

Wasted, I mean 'spent' the last several hours scouring your blog for Tokyo/Kyoto/Vienna insights. Thank you for all of the great information and pictures!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Great blog! We will be referencing it for our 3 week Asia trip this summer. Sorry to read your trip to Shanghai was too long - we have 10 days in that area and may be regretting it. We now added a 2 day side trip to Ningbo to stay at the PH there. Look forward to your blog on Taiwan - hope is before our trip so we can read it b4 we go.

Is a fun read and very informative!! ^^^

Just went back in again - I m realizing how much work you both put into it - is literally a full time job!!!

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Feb 4, 2014 at 8:41 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Scandic 2nd Floor, FoundersCard

PROS

CONS

Nice review. I checked out your blog too. Gonna read some of the other Japanese posts too.

Funny, re: the lounge band... I was at the PHT three times in 2013 and it was a different singer each time. 2 female and 1 male (the same guy in your photo...he's from Detroit if I recall correctly).

I always hear about celebs being there "just after" I have left. Apparently, I just missed Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber... not necessarily a bad thing...

I agree re: the walk to Shinjuku Station. But, I have tried to take it as a positive in that it ensures I get in a nice 10-12 minute walk daily while I am there. Some days I just use the shuttle too though

Never had the Japanese breakfast I keep reading about... I guess I should. I do not mind the "American" breakfast (I'm Canadian but have had better at lesser hotels.

I am staying again in about 3 weeks -- still excites me to stay there. Got one night on pts. before point increase I guess because I booked in Dec for 22,000 pts if I recall correctly.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:43 pm

Thanks all! Mrs. Selfish and I enjoy blogging as a way to relive our time at all these spectacular places.

@hotelfanatic - Shanghai is a very big city with a unique history especially due to the foreign quarters. For us it was a little too long, but I also got a serious bout of food poisoning for half of that time. Plus we spent a full time in China, which was a little too much for my liking. There are some very decent day trips, however. We're hitting Taiwan & Greece to cash out our US Airways miles this June, so maybe we'll see you at the GHT!

@hitsmith - he was from Detroit, good memory! I actually enjoy the walk, and there are a lot of nice little cheap eats - e.g. GoGoCurry! and Indian Bento joints. I would try the Japan breakfast at least once - I find that 2 days in a row is enough for me, though Mrs. Selfish got it every chance she could. Make sure to request the View Room if you can, and have a Asahi at the NYC bar for us!

Last edited by MisterSelfish; Feb 4, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Scandic 2nd Floor, FoundersCard
@hitsmith - he was from Detroit, good memory! I actually enjoy the walk, and there are a lot of nice little cheap eats - e.g. GoGoCurry! and Indian Bento joints. I would try the Japan breakfast at least once - I find that 2 days in a row is enough for me, though Mrs. Selfish got it every chance she could. Make sure to request the View Room if you can, and have a Asahi at the NYC bar for us!
What one is the View Room? I have only stayed in the Park Deluxe King?

I will for sure have a drink for you at the NYC bar
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:24 pm

The View Room is a corner room. It's only slightly larger than a deluxe room, but has more windows, plus the bathtub faces a window, which is pretty slick.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The View Room is a corner room. It's only slightly larger than a deluxe room, but has more windows, plus the bathtub faces a window, which is pretty slick.
It reminds me of the Park Suite, with the bedroom and living room smooshed together.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:28 am

Did you request the View Room at check-in or was there someone to contact ahead of time?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:10 am

After I booked the hotel I forwarded my confirmation to [email protected] and requested the view room. They weren't able to confirm it at the time, but noted it on my stay. When we arrived, they took us straight up to the room to complete the check in process.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Park Deluxe King is available for 39000 a night for May 4th - May 6th stay, an excellent rate for Golden Week (perhaps people are forgetting that the 6th is also a holiday...)
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:09 pm

Yes, this room is referred to as the 'Park View' room which is what I got upgraded to in July 2013. Probably my favorite room at PH Tokyo. Well, the only room I've stayed in there, but from the looks of the others, I really do enjoy having a corner view.

Btw, I bookmarked your blog. Very, very well done. I am going to keep referring to it in preparation for upcoming trips to Japan / elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.