Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 23, 2002, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I've stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo a number of times. It is my favorite hotel in the whole world. The only large/chain hotel I have found to have better service was the Oriental in Bangkok, but the PHT trumps it in terms of general cool.

As for the New York Grill, I agree with Kanetaka-san: "The view is so amazing that it makes you forget about the food". Never mind, the food isn't bad, it just isn't as impressive as the ambience and view (and even the service, which is quite respectable). I've had many a memorable evening with friends there, usually for drinks and cigars, the top line of civilization, in my opinion.

Now, if you want good food in Tokyo, no shortage of that. Second only to Singapore as a foodie paradise. My favorites are the Wakiya in Akasaka, and the Rakutei tempura, also in Akasaka. For excellent value for money, the best sushi in town is Sushisei in Tsukiji. The equivalent meal in NY would cost you 3-4 times as much.
Old Apr 23, 2002, 3:34 pm

Programs: Many
Since the thread has sort of tiptoed over to restaurants, when I was there in March I checked out an excellent IMHO place called
Sasagin. Its about a 7 min train ride from Shinjuku on the Odakyu line.

Please see http://www.nokia.co.jp/tokyoq/review...k/sasagin.html
Old Apr 23, 2002, 4:46 pm

I might have a discolered view of the food at the NY Grill. I had just spent 6 weeks in Nagano, and was so tired of the food that I was eating at McDonald's every day by the end of the Games. (I still haven't been able to find a Triple Mac since the McDonald's in the Olyimpic Press Center.)

When I finally got to Tokyo for two days of R&R before flying back to the States, the NY Grill was the only restaurant I ate in serving "American" food. It was like a food Mecca in a desolate world for me!

Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:28 pm

FYI, there is now a MacDonalds at B1 level in Shinjuku Park Tower beneath Park Hyatt Tokyo. Its across the hall from Kinokuniya Book Store. Sign of the economic times in Tokyo, I lamment..... The owner of the huge complex, Tokyo Gas, wanted the tower to be the showcase for the interior design center in Tokyo, attracting such anchor tenants as Conran Shop; Asia's first Conran... I am sure they never dreamt of having MacDonalds as one of the food tenants when they built it.

Old Jan 25, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
Diam Breakfast PH Tokyo / policy change?

Question about continental breakfast for GP Diamond members at the Park Hyatt Tokyo.

In the past I remembered I was able to pay an additional supplement to get Buffet breakfast instead of the cont.bfast.

However during my last (paid stay, no award stay, though this should not matter anyway), the hotel said it was not possible, and I did not even receive a REAL continental breakfast anymore, just a card to get a juice & coffee in the morning in your room.

Is this correct ? I thought the continental brekfast was a lot more in the past (with sandwiches) then just a coffee and a juice ?
Am I is mistaken / bad memory ?

Anyone has another experience ??, because now I had to pay a quite a lot in the restaurant to get a decent breakfast.

[This message has been edited by ben20 (edited Jan 25, 2004).]
Old Jan 25, 2004, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just was there. The card only lets you select your hot drink and juice, but the diamond breakfast also comes with rolls, jam, and butter automatically. (And sometimes a rose)

As long as I have been a diamond -- not long -- the hotel has only permitted this option, you cannot apply the value as a credit on a bigger breakfast.

Incidentally, during a good part of my stay, there were preteen girls hanging around all over the hotel. It must have been me they wanted to see, certainly not the cast of the "Lord of the Rings" which was also there during that time.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:00 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I was just there last week also -- the diamond continental breakfast hasn't changed in 3 years. Frankly if I want a bigger breakfast I just go downstairs into the office building basement and stop at McDonald's! BTW the Park Hyatt has just opened a new deli(!) that looks fantastic (with prices to match) at the entrance to the office building (next to/below the bakery).
Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

My favorite B1 breakfast stop is Excelsior Caffe, previously called Exceisior Cafe. Evidentally when they fixed the spelling of "Excelsior" they decided they had to misspell "cafe" instead!

The PH Deli is quite pricey, but is already offering (relatively speaking) discounted breakfast and lunch sets. The convenience store in B1 was recently enlarged and now features a larger selection of items, along with microwaves to heat them if need be.

Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
It has been only beverage and pastry. We had access to the full breakfest spread during a Escape (think that is it) award. I usually just take what they give comp. and hold out for a good lunch.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
This is new to me. I will certainly avoid this property since breakfast credit is such an important amenity for me now. I am surprised no one mentioned this when everyone was comparing the hotels. Glad I did not book this hotel.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 4:42 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Westcoastman,

It's interesting to see what matters to different people.

My wife and I always talk about how free breakfast is wasted on us as we usually only have a cup of tea and at PHT that's already in our room.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:15 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
westcoastman: whatever keeps you happy -- but you are "cutting your nose off inspite of your face" on this one. This is arguably the best Hyatt in the world, certainly my favorite.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:19 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Thank you for your comments about the Diamond Gold Passport benefit at the Park Hyatt Tokyo.

The Park Hyatt Tokyo always looks forward to welcoming Diamond Gold Passport members. Members may enjoy their complimentary continental breakfast in the comfort of their room. A doorknob menu is placed in the room during the evening turn down service for all eligible Diamond members.

Of course, if guests prefer a larger menu selection that also includes hot items, the Girandole restaurant provides an extensive buffet. Please note that there is a charge for this buffet.

Best Regards,

Julia Moore
Gold Passport Internet Concierge
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:22 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by westcoastman:
. I will certainly avoid this property since breakfast credit is such an important amenity for me now. I am surprised no one mentioned this when everyone was comparing the hotels. Glad I did not book this hotel.</font>
I hope you change your mind and book the Park Hyatt after all.
It is simply the best hyatt in the world!

the lack of a RC/GC is just a minor detail and all the other things makes it ok.

I am only hoping that they are going to run more special offers (but I do not think so after reading the interview with the GM).
Lower then 42.000 Yen is almost impossible.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 6:14 am

Programs: Gold Passport Diamond, SPG Platinum, NWA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gold Passport Concierge:
Of course, if guests prefer a larger menu selection that also includes hot items, the Girandole restaurant provides an extensive buffet. Please note that there is a charge for this buffet.</font>
Thank you for your post, Julia.
Please let me make sure that by saying "charge", you mean the supplement to the value of the complimentary continental breakfast through room service.
Just in case

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.