Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:56 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
The last time we were at this resort we were upgraded to a Bay Suite. Hoping to get upgraded to an Island Suite for the next trip. Do any of you have any experiences getting upgraded to an Island Suite?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:04 pm

Always got the Bay Suite.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: BA, UA, AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
We are heading to this property on Saturday with 3 kids (3, 5, 7) and my mom. We are using Diamond upgrade certs for two Bay suites. We have requested rooms to be close to each other. Any tips on what floor or direction facing rooms to request? Any other hints or tips? I've heard not all balconies are wide enough for furniture / to use? We would like to be able to use ours.... I'm really excited!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bennoch
We are heading to this property on Saturday with 3 kids (3, 5, 7) and my mom. We are using Diamond upgrade certs for two Bay suites. We have requested rooms to be close to each other. Any tips on what floor or direction facing rooms to request? Any other hints or tips? I've heard not all balconies are wide enough for furniture / to use? We would like to be able to use ours.... I'm really excited!
In the Bay suite, one balcony has 2 seats and a table, the other is not a real balcony.

I had an awful check in experience here, I tried calling ahead, but no one ever called back. My Bed wasn't honored, and got a room on the lowest floor possible.

So, try to call them, and don't let them tell you someone will call you back, they won't. Also, once you check in, and have a problem, they will not call you back. Front Office Mgr, will run to the back and will become "unavailable" once they see you.

Other than that, the hotel is great and your kids will love it, as mine did.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:19 pm

I'm at the property now. Day 5 of a weeklong stay.

I have room x27 (the red dot on the photo below) on one of the lower floors and my view is of the fountain, upper pool, and bay. The room faces due west and so the view of the sunset each night has been spectacular. From what I can tell, most rooms have a balcony large enough for two chairs and a side table. The only Bay Suite on my floor is x24 (identified on the room number plaque). The area isn't all that developed (relatively speaking), so I'd imagine the views on the North and South facing sides of the hotel are mostly of green/golf/some buildings. The East facing side looks onto Coconut Road, which is probably boring, but not busy.

Here is the floor plan from my door (with my annotations in red):

Hyatt Coconut Point Floor Plan by whistler814ft, on Flickr

Now a few thoughts about the hotel:

I booked this Cat 4 property for 15,000 pts/night and used Chase Anniversary Free Night Awards for two of the nights. I have Platinum via the credit card. I don't know whether I was upgraded (check in took all of 2 minutes), but I have no complaints about my room or the view. This property has been a good deal on points and my two daughters have thoroughly enjoyed it here so far, but paying the going rate $300-$600/night would leave me very underwhelmed. There is just a lot to figure out to fully access the amenities; and because this is not a beachfront property, getting to the beach requires (some, albeit minor) planning.

A few tips:

Pools
-There are 3 small/medium size pools, one for adults only, one with a waterfall (generally colder water), and one with a big and small waterslide. Kids need to be 42" tall and get a wristband for to ride the big slide.
-The pools are smallish, and have been quite crowded (I know it's peak spring break). Really, they're each not much bigger than my HOA pool.
-Guests are allowed access to the timeshare property, Hyatt Coconut Plantation, which is a short distance away (longish walk, but short bike/drive). Wristbands are required for access before 3pm (pick up at the hotel-not timeshare-lobby at 8am each morning, or if you're too late, you can get on the sign up sheet for the next day). We borrowed bikes (free) from the towel hut to ride over to the Plantation. The Plantation has pools that are about the same size, but has an additional lazy river that is really clean and very relaxing (closes at 6pm). There were about half as many people in the pools at the Plantation when we went. There's also a dry playground amongst the pools at the Plantation.
-You have to sign out towels at each property (and return them by the end of the day, or else $25/$10).
-No lifeguard on duty at either property.

Private Island
-The ferry to Big Hickory Island runs at :45 past the hour, but due capacity limits on the boat, there is a sign up sheet for each sailing. (aka Don't just show up at :45). The return sailings are at :15 past the hour but AFAIK don't require the sign up sheet.
-Our captains were great. They slowed down for us to take pictures when there were dolphins nearby. The ride takes about 20-30 minutes and is pretty smooth.
-There is nothing on the island except beach chairs, umbrellas, and restrooms. Access to the island is shared with the Plantation, and another local development (Pelican Landing).
-Bring lots of suncreen.
-The beach wasn't crowded and the sand is fine and nice. There is a bit of a current in the water though.
-We didn't find any nice shells near the water. We did, however, find them by following the tractor that would periodically comb the sand. Seriously. Big (empty) spiral shells, some as large as kiwi fruit.

Lounge/Restaurants/Golf
-Sorry, didn't use these parts of the hotel.

Parking
-Easy self park right under the hotel. Plenty of spots. If you take the room elevator down to level P, you'll find an even easier way to get up and down without walking across the lobby.
-Parking is also easy and free at the Plantation.

Other
-The hotel has many paid rental things (float/pool toys, fishing poles, kayaks, etc.)
-There are actually decent sized fish to catch in the small pond. We saw turtles swimming there too.
-Every night since we checked in, there has been some large loud function that goes late night (wedding, Frito Lay conference, etc). Today there was another huge corporate event that was really annoying - grown men and women doing a scavenger hunt all over the grounds. I'm glad we were able to seek refuge at the Plantation.
-Internet has been fast and stable, in the room at least.
-There is an issue with bugs around some areas of the pool (especially near the hot tub).
-Although there is a desk for timeshare sales in the lobby, no mention was made by any staff for any timeshare presentation/incentives whatsoever.
-I didn't get a NOR1 offer but a few days before check in I was invited by email to upgrade to a view (+$30/nt), view balcony (+$60/nt), bay suite (+$250/nt).

The area
-Lots of "American" food nearby, but everything is a drive.
-Super Target is minutes away.

Shelling
-We spend almost a full day at the Lighthouse Beach on Sanibel Island. Found a few small (live) conch shells but no sand dollars. Aside from seeing some dolphins, we were discouraged because there were tons of people and the beach wasn't very nice. We stopped at 7-Eleven and ran into a local guy who pointed us to Algiers Beach (aka Gulfside Beach) on Sanibel where we found tons of (live) sand dollars, a random wallet, and a very clean and wide beach.
-Check the tide charts before you go out.

Last edited by whistler814; Apr 12, 2015 at 7:21 pm Reason: grammar/typos
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA, UA, AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thank you Whistler814 for all the details!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:21 pm

One Short question: I booked a Standard room via Hyatt.com... Unfortunately i´m only Hyatt GP Platinum and asked for an upgrade for Lounge Access. They responded that the daily upcharge would be 125 $ per night. Do you think that this is useful ? Are there any restaurants or something like that in the nearby surroundigs?
Thank you
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:32 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LeonardvonGrabe
One Short question: I booked a Standard room via Hyatt.com... Unfortunately i´m only Hyatt GP Platinum and asked for an upgrade for Lounge Access. They responded that the daily upcharge would be 125 $ per night. Do you think that this is useful ? Are there any restaurants or something like that in the nearby surroundigs?
Thank you
There are a lot of restaurants nearby, e.g. at the shopping mall directly at the beginning of the Hyatt road (2min by car).
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

$125 is pretty steep for lounge access. I'd say you could better bringing your own stuff to the hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Originally Posted by LeonardvonGrabe
Thank you

Definitely not worth over a hundred bucks a night. There are tons of options nearby.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Definitely not worth it for basically a continental breakfast and coffee. There are a couple of Publix and a Target nearby where you could get everything you need for a fraction of their proposed charge
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:39 pm
K79

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Definitely not worth it for basically a continental breakfast and coffee. There are a couple of Publix and a Target nearby where you could get everything you need for a fraction of their proposed charge
Agreed. I was there recently and Club Lounge food was mediocre. There is a huge mall nearby and there are a lot of restaurants to eat nearby. Starbucks, First Watch, etc. also, this hotel charges resort fee regardless of status, at least when paying cash.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Huge Mall - Florida... some how that does not sound too exciting.

Originally Posted by K79
Agreed. I was there recently and Club Lounge food was mediocre. There is a huge mall nearby and there are a lot of restaurants to eat nearby. Starbucks, First Watch, etc. also, this hotel charges resort fee regardless of status, at least when paying cash.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:31 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Actually it is a fairly nice outdoor mall and not really huge.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer

Not only is there a huge mall nearby, with in 10 miles is one of the finest outlet malls in the country...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.