Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2001, 9:51 am
Original Poster

In need of feedback from fellow travelers regarding this property. We're staying two nights later this month. I guess i secured a pretty good deal on priceline for 65.00 a night. You tell me...
Old Nov 13, 2001, 3:08 pm

The only good thing is that it is near Carmel.

Go check out the Highlands Inn (A Park Hyatt) --- it is one of the best in the entire chain.

Now if you got that on Priceline that would be a deal.

This is a case of going for a deal on Priceline and now living with the results. A good reason not to go to Priceline in this market. Your rate is $65 more than I would pay for this property.
Old Nov 13, 2001, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Not looking to spend time lounging at this property with the great scenery all around. We hope it's ok enough for a busy two night stay. We'll keep our fingers crossed. Perhaps i should bring a can of raid...
Old Nov 22, 2001, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I'm obviously in the minority but I like the place. It's not a large, high-rise city hotel but its setting on the golf course is quite nice and the rooms are respectable. The RC is not worth much.

The most important thing about the hotel is to get a room facing the golf course, if at all possible, preferably on the second on third floor. It makes staying at the hotel a completely different experience.

And they almost always have great jazz in the lounge - lots of excellent local musicians.

[This message has been edited by JerryFF (edited 11-25-2001).]
Old Dec 29, 2001, 9:38 pm

The Monterey Peninsula is really lacking in upper/midrange hotels. There are a many wonderful inns, top tier hotels, and motels. However when it comes to the 3* range there's the Double Tree, Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton (maybe Embassy Suites would fit there too). None of them are something to write home about, but all provide clean safe lodging at a reasonable price. The motels tend to be on getto strips and while the top notch hotels are wonderful there are a lot of money and not anything I'd ever pay.

I've used the Hyatt a lot as it is very close to my alma matter and special rates are always negoiated for alumnae events. It needs an update, but given it's competition it's on par and I've never found myself fending off bugs.

Also consider that even motel rates can be insane. I've priced the Travelodge on Freemont for $80+ for a weekend night. Comparatively the Hyatt for $125 wasn't too bad.

Paying $60+ a night for the Hyatt is fine because you'd be paying a similar rate for a motel with a lot less security and comfort.
Old Jan 7, 2002, 2:10 pm

It does make a big difference where your room faces, because if you don't face the golf course, you're most likely going to face a parking lot. I initially had a miserable experience there (the bed was very uncomfortable, most of the TV channels didn't work, and I had the worst bowl of French onion soup at the restaurant that I've ever tired). After complaining, they sent me a voucher for a complimentary two-night stay, which featured a much nicer room.

Speaking of the Highlands Inn, what is considered a good rate at that property? Any suggestions for how to get a good rate there? Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 9:34 am

I've stayed at the Hyatt in Monterey twice, and both experiences were bad. On the last visit, there was major construction work on the roads on the grounds -- lots of bulldozers and other heavy trucks. It was very noisy and dusty, and probably not safe for guests to drive around these vehicles. The Hyatt did not warn me prior to my arrival that there would be so much noise.

When I called the front desk, they were completely disinterested. The next morning, I was able to move to a different room away from the outside construction. Unfortunately, the rooms down the hall were being renovated, so it was still noisy.

When I went to the front desk to complain, there was already a line of other guests doing the exact same thing. The front desk clerks were unhelpful and borderline rude.

The rooms were also very worn, tired, and motel-like. The carpets were stained and threadbare. The bed sheets also had stains. There were also a few insects.

When I called the Hyatt Corp. to complain, they told me they get lots of complaints about this property.

I've stayed at many other Hyatts before, and generally have very good things to say about them. This one, however, is the pits. Avoid it if you can.

The Marriott and Monterey Plaza hotels are much better. If you want to splurge, stay at the Carmel Valley Ranch resort.

[This message has been edited by Loderunner777 (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Resort fee" at Hyatt Monterey

I just stayed here for 2 nights on a Priceline rate. Thanks to you folks at FT, I knew I had to charge something to the room each night. The resort fee isn't required on Priceline rates, but for $11 (incl. tax) each day you get (a) $5 restaurant credit (b) two bottles of mineral water in the room for free (c) free local/8xx calls. That is a pretty good deal and is the very first time I have seen a resort fee be something other than price gouging.

Plus, using my MC, I guess I now have 1 stay towards a free night! Thanks Flyertalk, thanks Hyatt.

Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I guess this is a nice way to make an incidentals charge and given the $5 bottles of water I've seen in hotel rooms of late, the $11 resort fee is not a bad deal, but I think Hyatt could really think about (a) making local calls free, and (b) having 2 complimentary bottles of water in every room at every hotel.

I've always thought these are two little examples of nickel-and-diming that need to go away at first class hotels.

Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:30 pm

The bottles each had a $4.50 label which we were told to ignore.

I agree with your comments, but the Hyatt Monterey really isn't a first class hotel until and if it is totally refurbished -- for the month of December, it is running an $85 rate special, for example.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 1:07 am

Heck, we should get together for coffee; drop me a line, but I'm out of here on Wednesday for North Carolina. I only live 20 minutes walk (or 5 minutes drive) away. That means I never have to stay at Rickeys!

Brand spanking new Residence Inn just opened nearby, but the Marriott comparable program to FFS is limited to "Marriott class 4 or worse" hotels which are mostly bad ones.

For breakfast, go to Hobee's across the street, but you probably know that already.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 9:15 pm

Sitting here in my room at the Hyatt Monterey fuming . I've managed to dodge the $10 resort fee for the last 11 stays, but got nailed with it this time. Lo and behold, there is *NO* water in the room at all. I'm in my PJs and about to go to bed so I'm not about to call and have some brought up. I just hope they agree to waive the fee in the morning. This is such a lame Hyatt. Just wish the options in the area were better.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 9:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BingoSF:
This is such a lame Hyatt. Just wish the options in the area were better.</font>
There is: Highland Inn is now a Park Hyatt.
Kind of the other extreme from the Monterey Hyatt. But expensive.

Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Problem with Hyatt Monterey...

Hi,

I have a problem with the Hyatt Regency Monterey which I cannot get resolved by myself, so I look for some advice.

When we stayed there this April we had a problem on the last morning when my wife showered and some undesirable animals dropped on her from a hole above the shower-head.

When we checked out I mentioned this fact to the agent, and quite embarrasedly she offered me a free night at this hotel plus taking off any incidentials I incurred during the stay from my bill. We were on a Priceline-reservation, so we could not get a refund on the rate.

However, after receiving my credit card invoice I noticed that they still charged me about 115$. So I called the Hotel, and after a few calls I finally spoke too someone who basically showed no real concern about my problem, but after about 15 minutes long-haul-call I convinced her that she should imvestigate this issue further. Since then, however, I have not received any further information on the case (for about a week now).

So any idea on how to escalate that any further so I get at least a refund for the money I was promised I would not have to pay? I have signed all the slips that lead to the charge, so reversing the credit card charge is not really an option...

Any suggestion would be really apreciated!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jun 6, 2003, 8:52 am

I stayed at this place back in September and although it's got potential, it needs some serious remodelling. We got a very large room but the floor hadn't been vacuumed. I called down to the front desk to get this fixed. After about an hour nobody had showed up and at this point we also noticed that the bed had been made with the last guests sheets! Another phone call, another 1 hour wait. Then we noticed that the bathroom hadn't been cleaned. I called the front desk again and advised them that we were going out for dinner and that I expect everything to be put right when I return. After getting back I realized that they hadn't remade the bed and had only vacuumed a 1 sq yard piece of carpet in the middle of the room.

The management offered me nothing for this service lapse. I was thinking I should write a complaint letter but I never got around to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.