Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I was reminded yesterday morning that many ORD hotels have car service drivers and taxis available for the run out to ORD. The Blue Line was not a option as something unpleasant was found on the tracks early yesterday morning. ORD also had small hale. Car service- $35 flat.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I now refuse to stay at HRC without RC access! There's so many people hustling around that hotel that i'd loose my sanity without having a sitdown and a coctail at the RC! I love HRC and I will be back there in a few weeks, just to get away from the norm.
Old May 27, 2004, 9:43 am

Programs: several
While I've enjoyed this hotel in past; great location etc., I've heard from colleagues that it's getting pretty tired out (for a Hyatt). Can anyone elaborate? Is it still worthy of 4 Diamonds?

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2004, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by jral
While I've enjoyed this hotel in past; great location etc., I've heard from colleagues that it's getting pretty tired out (for a Hyatt). Can anyone elaborate? Is it still worthy of 4 Diamonds?

Thanks.
I've heard this from others as well, but I personally love this hotel. Making use of the RC is a necessity for during the day, and at night this hotel becomes alive. I continue to stay at this property about one weekend a month, and it’s a perfect place to relax. My only one complaint would be the lack of pool and spa… Does anyone out there know anything about there off site fitness center? They use to advertise it, but I’ve never really looked into it.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:23 am

Angry Chicago Hyatt Regency--avoid at all costs!!

After a really bad Hyatt experience 4+ years ago I swore them off. However, an annual conference was being held at the CHR this year and I decided that it was time to give them another chance to earn my business.

When I arrived at my room I found that both bedspreads were dirty and had crusty ick on them. I called the service line and asked that they be replaced (no apology but they were replaced within an hour and a half). While waiting for the clean bedspreads I noticed that the mirror had mascara on it and the cocktain table had congealed food remnants growing on it. I asked the staff member for additional hangers and commented on the mascara and dirty table expecting that the hangers would be delivered and the next days cleaning would be more thorough.

Time for dinner! I went down to the pizza place in the lobby and picked up dinner and 2 beverages. The staff member was kind enough to give me a drink carrier to get my beverages up to my room. Unfortunately the carrier was assembled incorrectly and disolved under the weight of the beverages causing my bottle of beer to smash on the elevator floor. (I made lots of new pals on that trip!)

Ultimately, during my 5 night stay my room was never thoroughly cleaned (mascara and food still there) and on my last day my room was never made up. I left early and returned to the room at 2pm and found it as I had left it. I returned to work and came back at 6pm--still not clean. I asked at the front desk that it be cleaned and new towels provided while I was at dinner. I returned at 10:00 p.m. to a dirty room. I called and asked to speak to a manager. I was transferred to voice mail. I called again and asked that a manager be paged. I received a response and described the situation. I was told that towels would be sent up immediately and that they would make an adjustment to my room rate. The towels were received 50 minutes later and the reduction was $90 on a $1000 bill.

In essence, they made a declaration that service and cleanliness was valued at less than 10% of their rate. At the level it is currently provided, I think they seriously overvalued their service.

Avoid it at all costs, anyone can screw up and provide service that is subpar it is only at establishments where bad service is culturally acceptable do they fail to respond even after several prompts.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by omapcw1
After a really bad Hyatt experience 4+ years ago I swore them off. However, an annual conference was being held at the CHR this year and I decided that it was time to give them another chance to earn my business.

When I arrived at my room I found that both bedspreads were dirty and had crusty ick on them. I called the service line and asked that they be replaced (no apology but they were replaced within an hour and a half). While waiting for the clean bedspreads I noticed that the mirror had mascara on it and the cocktain table had congealed food remnants growing on it. I asked the staff member for additional hangers and commented on the mascara and dirty table expecting that the hangers would be delivered and the next days cleaning would be more thorough.

Time for dinner! I went down to the pizza place in the lobby and picked up dinner and 2 beverages. The staff member was kind enough to give me a drink carrier to get my beverages up to my room. Unfortunately the carrier was assembled incorrectly and disolved under the weight of the beverages causing my bottle of beer to smash on the elevator floor. (I made lots of new pals on that trip!)

Ultimately, during my 5 night stay my room was never thoroughly cleaned (mascara and food still there) and on my last day my room was never made up. I left early and returned to the room at 2pm and found it as I had left it. I returned to work and came back at 6pm--still not clean. I asked at the front desk that it be cleaned and new towels provided while I was at dinner. I returned at 10:00 p.m. to a dirty room. I called and asked to speak to a manager. I was transferred to voice mail. I called again and asked that a manager be paged. I received a response and described the situation. I was told that towels would be sent up immediately and that they would make an adjustment to my room rate. The towels were received 50 minutes later and the reduction was $90 on a $1000 bill.

In essence, they made a declaration that service and cleanliness was valued at less than 10% of their rate. At the level it is currently provided, I think they seriously overvalued their service.

Avoid it at all costs, anyone can screw up and provide service that is subpar it is only at establishments where bad service is culturally acceptable do they fail to respond even after several prompts.
I am surprised to read this as many on this board have had the opposite experience that you have described.

I guess being a Diamond certainly has its benefits!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I know a fair amount of people who have stayed there with only basic Gold Passport status and none has shared a negative story with me about the Hyatt Regency Chicago. If it were not for mention of the pizza in the lobby, I would have presumed you were talking about another hotel.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:50 pm

I stayed at the Chicago Hyatt Regency last weekend and had a wonderful experieince. Housekeeping in particular was exceptional. When coming by for regular service, we told them we were not ready and just leave towels. Later, while we were gone, the room had been cleaned eventhough we asked them to skip it for the day. Only problem was at checkout, but within 5 min. the problem was resolved satisfactorily. Sorry to hear of your problem with your stay.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:51 pm

I avoided this hotel for years, and would normally stay at Printers Row. Since the renovation I've found it to be quite nice. Sorry the OP had a bad experience. For my 2 cents I would not suggest avoiding it at all costs.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:20 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I generally stay 2 or 3 times a year and, especially since the renovation, find it very acceptable for a huge convention hotel. I have never had cleanliness issues.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:22 pm

I've had some issues with the hotel-but on balance I've been pleased. Status definetly makes a difference. Sometimes I think certain people and certain hotels just don't work. The palmer house and I usually have issues and I know others love it. Stay somewhere else if you can and if you can't grin and bare it--also next time call the manager tell him/her your coming and honestly share your past experiences and they may make an effort to please
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:58 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
OP Sorry to hear about your experience.

I have stay here a few times a year without any special status. Never any problem. Staff very thorough, rooms clean, request fairly timely (request for extra pillows 20 mins).

It seems that this was primarily a housekeeping issue that while clearly unacceptable -- could be isolated to the floor/staff person where you were located.

I'd concur with a earlier post, if you hadn't mentioned the Pizza place, I wouldn't recognize the hotel.

Hope your future stays are better.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:44 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Some Glitches Also

I recently stayed at this hotel for two consecutive nights one on FFN and one on Passport Plus points award since FFN was not available:
*Upon check in they first were wanting to charge me $30-$50 to get on the RC floor, but once I told them I was DIA they said it was fine at no charge;
*My phone didn't work to call outside, and I called the desk, and they showed that nobody was checked in to the room I was staying in, and they wanted to know how I got keys for the room that I got checked in to. However, they were able to resolve this;
*On the second night the keys did not work, and I had to go back to the front desk. They replaced the keys and then they worked;
and
*I asked that my room be cleaned by calling down one of the days, and it never was when I got home later that night.

It sounds like the hotel has some operational issues.

Certainly not worth $200 + a night, but these issues did not really adversely affect me on this award leisure stay but if I were on a tighter schedule it might have been more of an issue.

Room was comfortable though.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:47 am

I love the HRC. I'm not sure if i'm in the minority, but I go to this property for weekend getaways just about once a month. I love the location, the the RC is always excellent. Next week i'm at the Park Hyatt Chicago, and I'm hoping for the best!
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I generally love Hyatt properties, but with so many other better choices in downtown Chicago (i.e. Intercontinental, Palmer Hilton, W, etc.) this particularly location would not be my first choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.