Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Houston Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2001, 7:37 am
fwd
Original Poster

I have spent 11 weeks at the Hyatt Downtown Houston this summer and had planned to continue through August. I am now switching to the Doubletree. There is no consistency in their policies. After I reached Platinum level, I began receiving breakfast coupons. I assumed that was because of my level. Yesterday I checked in and they would not give me any. They said that they don't give those out until you reach Diamond level. I told them I had been receiving them for many weeks. Their reply was that I should not have been and someone had made a mistake. I asked what was the advantage of moving up to Platinum level and was told basically no advantage. They wanted you to get to Diamond. This was in a conversation with the manager. There is no reward for loyalty at this hotel. One week I was in a room where I could use my computer, the next week I was not. I will play by the rules, but don't keep changing them. Thanks for letting me vent!!
Old Jul 31, 2001, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
You are probably the ungrateful recepient of a nice favor by this hotel or an error.

First: The Hyatt program does not give breakfast to anyone. If you are a Diamond, then you will get RC level/access with minor exceptions (you are not so I will not list them). If there is no RC then it depends on the type Hyatt what "breakfast" benefit that might be provided (refer to the rules)

The Property: At Many, not all, Hyatts without a RC, Diamonds may be given breakfast (reg or continental) inroom or restaurant. Many Hyatts also honor frequent guests at their property (regardless of you Hyatt level). You may be given an upgraded room, amenity, gift, or meals. This appears to be what you received. These are discressionary benefits! IMHO had you been thankful for what you received, reminded them of your frequent stays at their property and your intent to continue such stays, especially if the little "favors" continued things would have been handled by the property differently. This type of conversation with the manage would likely have you still staying there and working on you Diamond membership.

As a note of ? to you, if you stayed 11 weeks then you have more than the 50 nights to be Diamond, so something is iffy about your story or you need to call Hyatt to insure your stays have been posted.

If you have just overstated you stays, then at least you have many, probably qualifly for 3 nights in the Stay Pay and Play program. These three nights will also count toward your total stays if you make a qualiflying purchase during your stay (S). ie a meal. Your 11 weeks and 3 nights certainly add up to the 50 necessary. Still, if short, you have amassed some points with Hyatt that will earn you some free nights. These nights also will add to the number of nights toward your Diamond membership, again if you make a qualiflying purchase during your stay.

So now you would have 11 weeks, three days and some additional days to make a total of 50 in a calandar year to make Diamond (the other way is 25 distinct stays). You would have to hop back and forth between the Airport and Downtown Hyatts to get the stays qualification.

Platinum membership also has benefits, unlike your statement suggests. One of the best is a 15% bonus in points awarded. There several others easily read on the Hyatt site.

Pardon any typos as I do not have my contacts in. For the Hyatt purest, like myself, this reply has been simplified to make it as simple as possible, useful and not too long. Perks are never as clear cut in any program. The small print has been left out.

------------------
Only God does not have to travel
Old Nov 28, 2001, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
Hyatt Regency Houston

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to travel to houston next month and just wondering if the Hyatt Regency is nice or not. I'm diamond and wondering if they have any nice suites avail. and also if they have a RC?

thanks
Old Nov 28, 2001, 7:15 pm
In Memoriam

I have only stayed there once a few years ago. It was under heavy renovation at the time but it seemed like a normal city Hyatt. Nice Atrium. I was only a regular GP member at the time so I can't give any details about a possible Diamond upgrade. I believe it does still have a Regency Club but I have no idea if it is currently open. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
The RC was closed when I was there last month (October). Call the property if that's important to you.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 9:19 am
Original Member

Location: Tyler, TX- Former Onepass Infinite Platinum +MM & CO * now UA-1K, Hyatt Diamond, ICH RA, Hilton HH Diamond VIP, Hertz Prez Circle, Clear Registered Traveler, BIG fan of Pre-Check
I agree with Apple - I consider it a "normal" city Hyatt. Most of the rooms are pretty standard. They do have a number of "large" suites (the standard config with separate living, dining, bar and bedroom) and have been upgraded as a Diamond to those when available, but always via 800-CHECKIN.

DAW

------------------
OnePass - Infinite Platinum
Hyatt - Diamond
Starwood - Gold
Old Dec 2, 2001, 1:52 am

I stayed there Apr-Sep, but they do not have RC. You will get amenity of choices (upon checking-in) and free continental breakfast coupons.

I did not receive room upgrade except when I paid $350 for the Regency Suite sometimes - one living room, one bedroom, and two bathroom thing.

Old Dec 2, 2001, 2:48 pm

Location: Coppell, Tx AA EXP, AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Agree with Applefan and DuhWane that it is just a nice "normal" city Hyatt. Have stayed there tons of times since our Houston office is just across the street in the Allen Center. I do NOT think much of their restaurants, much better food available in Houston at other places. If you have a rent car then DO use the valet parking unless you want to walk a couple of blocks to public parking.

Suites -? Have only gotten an "upgrade" to a suite ONCE in all the times I have stayed there (30+). However, it was one of the top four suites/rooms I have ever had in 30 years of travel. Entrance on floor-30. Suite is a TWO STORY atrium configuration with badroom; walk-in closet and bathroom on the "upstairs" floor. Downstairs more bathrooms, living room/lounge with baby grand piano, and the dining room. Don't know if this is the $350/night Regency suite that FlyMan refers to or not. I doubt it though.

This was a late night check-in when I got this suite (as a Diamond) and it might have been the only thing left. Don't know - didn't ask why I got so lucky.

ps - bring umbrella/raincoat cause it rains somewhere in Houston every day.

dAAvid -
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
Thanks for all the reponses, I think I'll give it a try. I am looking for either Sheraton,Westin or Hyatt (St.Regis is out of the budget), I've read some horrible reviews from the starwood board on 2 of the westins....
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:03 am

questions about downtown Houston Hyatt

Need to go to Houston for a technical class for work for one week (Dec 5-11). The class is being held at the Downtown Crown Plaza but I can stay anywhere there is a fed gov't rate. The Hyatt is just a few blocks away from the CP and matches the fed gov't rate of $99. So...does this Hyatt offer free high speed internet (wired is fine) and free shuttle service in the evenings to the Galleria area?
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:08 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Alysia
Need to go to Houston for a technical class for work for one week (Dec 5-11). The class is being held at the Downtown Crown Plaza but I can stay anywhere there is a fed gov't rate. The Hyatt is just a few blocks away from the CP and matches the fed gov't rate of $99. So...does this Hyatt offer free high speed internet (wired is fine) and free shuttle service in the evenings to the Galleria area?
Yes, there's hi speed internet, and wifi in public areas. IIRC, it's $16.95/day....that was back in July however.

Don't know about the shuttle. Are you sure you want to be in Houston without a car?
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jkc22
Yes, there's hi speed internet, and wifi in public areas. IIRC, it's $16.95/day....that was back in July however.

Don't know about the shuttle. Are you sure you want to be in Houston without a car?
OK I guess I will rent a car. The secretary just came over with travel forms and said to me, "Are you sure you don't want to rent a car? You don't want to be stuck in your hotel room all week."
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Have you asked the hotel about shuttles? Think there is lite rail in Houston now, but don't think it goes to the Galleria.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Houston is definitely a city where a car is almost a necessity. The Hyatt is a nice, comfortable hotel.

R u doing FFN's?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
This is what I did when I was in Houston earlier this year, you just hafta schedule your flights properly. Late flight in, stay at IAH airport Hyatt, then the next day transfer to the DT Houston Hyatt where you can remain for business. And if you can schedule an early morning flight back home, you can even do the airport one again. These FFN promos sure have me on top of my game regarding the scheduling of nights/flights.
You'll want a car in Houston....the light rail only goes to Reliant Stadium/Astrodome via the Med Center. Transport to airport from downtown is not the easiest if you don't have a car...it is either taxi or shuttle that stops at tons of hotels. This idea about sandwiching in downtown hotel inside of two iah hyatt stays is a very good one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.