Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, CA ("Newporter") REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Diamond Benefits:
  • No Regency Club; breakfast entrees on the menu at SHOR
  • Last reported as one entree + one beverage per person, up to 4
  • Does not include room service
  • Amenities (choice of one, as of 3/19/2015)
    • 1,000 points
    • ?

In general:
  • Parking
    • Valet: $47/night
    • Self: $40/night
    • Parking rates above do not include Jazz series events
    • Street: none nearby
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, CA ("Newporter") REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Looks like I'll have a "required" stay there coming up in January, so I'll find out for myself. Good thing I'm not paying for it.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Newport Beach CA

Spending a couple of nights over Valentines weekend with hubby , wondering if to have their special Valentines dinner in the Shor restaurant , has anyone any experience of that or if to go off site?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by rntraveller
Spending a couple of nights over Valentines weekend with hubby , wondering if to have their special Valentines dinner in the Shor restaurant , has anyone any experience of that or if to go off site?
Go off site. There's nothing wrong w/Shor - but compared the options one has in close proximity to property, I certainly wouldn't make the decision to 'dine in'
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Agreed. Significantly better options around.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Thanks!
Are there any within walking distance or any good seafood places close by that anyone would recommend
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rntraveller
Thanks!
Are there any within walking distance or any good seafood places close by that anyone would recommend
I wouldn't call anything within walking distance. E.g., Fashion Island is probably a 15-25 minute walk uphill.

I would Uber it, shouldn't cost very much going that short of a distance.

I hear good things about Gulfstream.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well, I find myself back here, another Diamond suite upgrade, in the dreaded Lido building.

The room itself actually isn't that bad. It's a double-wide (they cut out about half the wall to connect the rooms and sealed off the door to the bedroom), so the room is a square U shape. Small bathroom by the front door, then an 8-seat conference table with a pop-up TV cabinet. Next to the conference room is a sitting area with a couch, two armchairs and ottomans and a coffee table. Finally, a king-sized bed with another TV on top of a dresser.

Some issues though. Pop-up TV didn't "pop up" so the solution was for them to bring another TV to put on top of the console. I'll wait until morning, thanks. The pool area is completely torn up, and there is temp chain link fence everywhere. The coffee maker is on the fritz. The bathroom sink is slow.

Front desk managers have been apologetic and apparently doing what they can. We'll see how the rest of the stay goes.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:32 pm

This is really a motel like property. I had a conference at Fairmont. Being that I was registered for the summer promo, I opted for HR despite all the warnings from here. Believe me, I would have stayed at Huntington Beach if it wasn't so expensive. Yup, they charge for resort fee/parking. Yup, little to no recognition of diamond status. You can hear everything in the hallway. In fact I had to knock on the door next door to shut the barking dog up. The only thing that was good was a shuttle driver who gave me a great tip on the local restaurant. Check out Las Brisas. Great view and decent Mexican food in Laguna Beach area. Overpriced breakfast, which better be taken off the tab tomorrow when I check out.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
This hotel really needs a remodel via bulldozer. If you are reading this and are considering staying there--don't.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121
Overpriced breakfast, which better be taken off the tab tomorrow when I check out.
I will say that I had no problem with the breakfast amenity, and quite enjoyed the steak and eggs every morning of my stay, as well as the OJ. All charges disappeared upon check out.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:48 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Strange. The last time I stayed at that hotel (August 2010), they were remodeling it. BTW, that stay sucked big-time. It was probably my worst Hyatt experience of that entire year. I wrote to Hyatt and they completely refunded my entire (one-night) stay.

I can't help but wonder if they ever fixed the Parking Lot Gate From Hell.
Originally Posted by skunker
This hotel really needs a remodel via bulldozer. If you are reading this and are considering staying there--don't.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Jul 20, 2015 at 12:15 am
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Strange. The last time I stayed at that hotel (August 2010), they were remodeling it. BTW, that stay sucked big-time. It was probably my worst Hyatt experience of that entire year. I wrote to Hyatt and they completely refunded my entire (one-night) stay.

I can't help but wonder if they ever fixed the Parking Lot Gate From Hell.
When I was there (around the same time) they were only remodeling the lobby, not the rooms. Even the website states that:

•Newly-renovated Lobby Lounge offering a fresh California chic vibe
I see some reports of updated or refreshed rooms in reviews, but no where on the Hyatt website. You can only put so much lipstick on a pig.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:07 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
When I was there, the room air conditioner was switched on by a pull chain. I have no idea whether that was a "new" or an "old" room.
Originally Posted by skunker
When I was there (around the same time) they were only remodeling the lobby, not the rooms. Even the website states that:

I see some reports of updated or refreshed rooms in reviews, but no where on the Hyatt website. You can only put so much lipstick on a pig.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:02 am

Hey folks.

I'm a Diamond and just made a 2-night points and cash reservation in October. The Diamond phone line rep could guarantee me an executive suite without a DSU. Is this normal?

I've read from the forums that the Huntington Beach property is more ideal, but with a guaranteed [Executive, I know] "suite" in play, I'm thinking that the Newport Beach location might be a-ok.

Are there any other diamond benefits: update on waived or discounted resort fee, lounge, welcome amenity, etc.? Does my Diamond / Executive Suite have a significantly strong chance at an upgrade at checkin?

Thanks, kindly!

Last edited by christof; Aug 16, 2015 at 4:07 am
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by christof
Hey folks.

I'm a Diamond and just made a 2-night points and cash reservation in October. The Diamond phone line rep could guarantee me an executive suite without a DSU. Is this normal?
I'd say "no". I wonder if some kind of miscommunication occurred?
I've read from the forums that the Huntington Beach property is more ideal, but with a guaranteed [Executive, I know] "suite" in play, I'm thinking that the Newport Beach location might be a-ok.
Please understand that the Hyatt at Newport Beach is nowhere near an actual oceanside beach. The nearest one is 5 miles by car or 2.5 miles on foot. This is _not_ a case of false advertising. The hotel is in the city of "Newport Beach". That word "Beach", in the city's name, is the only beachy characteristic of the hotel.

The property at Huntington Beach is a world apart. It's oceanside (although the actual beach is across a highway from the hotel).
Are there any other diamond benefits: update on waived or discounted resort fee, lounge, welcome amenity, etc.? Does my Diamond / Executive Suite have a significantly strong chance at an upgrade at checkin?

Thanks, kindly!
I'm not sure what they're upgrade you to. They have two categories of suites. Both are the same size.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.