Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: m0hamed
The "Ambassador Lounge" is permanently closed
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

March 2009

I was off my plane and out to the taxi rank in roughly 2 minutes. It’s a rare airport that allows exit so quickly. Taxi to the hotel is roughly $25.

I was delighted to pull up to the hotel and learn that it is the historic Canberra Hotel. It is a low structure, looking a lot like an old western hotel with a deep front porch. The bellman was quick to get my suitcase and direct me inside.

The front half of the hotel is public area, with the lounge/bar right after the check in area, then moving thru the restaurant area which goes along either side of the mid passageway. Rooms are to the back of the building. I was given a room on the ground floor. If I had been quicker witted, I should have asked for an upper floor (of which there are only 2). There was a wide passage way outside my door. As a woman traveling alone, I did not feel very secure. It also meant I had no privacy if I had my curtains open. Still, the room was very spacious, as was the bathroom. There was a separate shower enclosure from the tub.

The hotel has a comfortable executive lounge, called an Ambassador Lounge. Apparently, the hotel used to be a Grand Hyatt. When it remodeled, rooms were made bigger and the room count decreased. At that time it was reclassified a Park Hyatt yet retained its lounge. There are only 2 Park Hyatts in the world with a lounge. Breakfast is served there. During the day, you can use the room but only tea, coffee, and some cookies are available. Between 6 and 8pm, lavish canapés are available. I had seen the buffet table for quite an opulent afternoon tea in the lobby lounge for $35. Several of the same things were served in the Executive Lounge. I’m convinced the tea sandwiches were made up for both at the same time, as the bread was very stale. There was a nice assortment of excellent sushi, along with cheeses, crackers, nuts, pretzels, dried fruit, and desserts.

Most guests were in professional attire, which makes sense given the proximity of the hotel to the Parliament. It is my impression that this is the top hotel in town.

Internet is $29/day, billed at $.55/minute til it reaches the maximum. There are no free internet terminals, unlike most Park Hyatts elsewhere in the world.

My in room diamond amenity was an underwhelming 2 apples.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My in room diamond amenity was an underwhelming 2 apples.
Ours was two nectarines!

Does somebody need to remind them that "# Special welcome amenity on each stay.
* A choice of Food and Beverage or bonus points will be offered at Hyatt Hotels & Resorts^^
* 500 bonus points will be awarded for stays at Hyatt Place and Hyatt Summerfield Suites".

At PH Melbourne and Hyatt Adelaide, they gave us wine without food.....
Old Mar 5, 2009, 8:07 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There are only 2 Park Hyatts in the world with a lounge.
I know at least 3: PH Melbourne, Canberra and Hamburg
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:10 am

Had a nice stay here over the weekend. I asked during booking to use a Diamond suite upgrade but the best they could offer was the Club Deluxe room, which was fine as I wasn't planning on spending a huge amount of time in the room during the day and it was a similar size (77 square metres vs 81 for the suite).

There is a large outdoor parking area that is free to use or there is underground parking with a charge associated.

Room was 410 on level 4 which is the top level. It was at the very back of the property, so a bit of a trek from reception but it is one level above the club lounge which is also at the back of the building so it was convenient for that. In room diamond amenity was 2 apples as mentioned above. The view from the room was a glimpse of Lake Burley Griffin and the top of Black Mountain Tower which was very briefly interesting at night.

The bathroom was very nice with marble floor, walls and counter. Size was good with a separate bath and shower and enough floor space not to feel cramped.

The level of service was fine but I didn't have any major demands apart from a late checkout request on Sunday which was handled satisfactorily.

Breakfast in the lounge seemed fairly standard - buffet style continental with fruit, toast, cereal, pastries and some cold meats. No complaints about the canapes and drinks from 6pm-8pm either, I enjoyed the fresh bread and cheese selection and some of the small tarts and cakes. The wine selection was not very interesting, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to wine so I was unlikely to be impressed!

Overall I was very happy, sure it isn't at the same level as properties like Sydney (it's also 1/3rd of the price) but it met expectations, it was a pleasant and comfortable stay and it's still the best option in Canberra at the top level.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:26 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Again I find myself saying call the US Diamond line . They have confirmed every suite upgrade I have requested at time of booking, when the Australian call centre say there is no availability or it is "confirmed at check-in" which is nonsense.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Again I find myself saying call the US Diamond line . They have confirmed every suite upgrade I have requested at time of booking, when the Australian call centre say there is no availability or it is "confirmed at check-in" which is nonsense.
Good advice thanks, I thought I'd give the Australian call centre another go today but that was a mistake. I was told that although the suite is confirmed at time of booking, it wouldn't be reflected in my account or the details sent to me - this sounded like it was certain to be trouble at check in so I called the regular US line and they had it all sorted out in 5 minutes, the suite confirmed and reflected in the reservation and my account.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:40 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I think this varies by property, Australian properties show in the Some will show in the reservation, others, I find in the US, you will only see that the Diamond Upgrade has been deducted from your 4.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I think this varies by property, Australian properties show in the Some will show in the reservation, others, I find in the US, you will only see that the Diamond Upgrade has been deducted from your 4.
Either way I much prefer having it show in the reservation to avoid any problems down the line, something that the US consultant was able to arrange.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:44 am

Sure. I don't think any of my US reservations reflect it in the reservation, though I have confirmed with GP and the hotels directly.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Using a Diamond suite upgrade for Park Hyatt Canberra well in advance, I am advised that I have a Club Deluxe room. I see it is 77 sqm on level 4 (they described it as a junior suite) and there are still slightly larger Park Suites available on Hyatt.com.

Just keen to know if I have the right room under the rules or if I should push for the Park Suite?

Thanks,

Marcus.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
Using a Diamond suite upgrade for Park Hyatt Canberra well in advance, I am advised that I have a Club Deluxe room. I see it is 77 sqm on level 4 (they described it as a junior suite) and there are still slightly larger Park Suites available on Hyatt.com.
That's the room I received above, I did press, but only gently, to try to get a proper Suite without success.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by astonmartinv8

Just keen to know if I have the right room under the rules or if I should push for the Park Suite?

Thanks,

Marcus.
As your rightly entitled to the Best Available Room, I'd cancel the suite upgrade and do what I did with the Park Hyatt Sydney and call the US Diamond line the day before to arrange the best available room, which to me would be the Club Deluxe King.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for your responses.

Weird - if I am entitled to the best available room, why would Hyatt have me use a suite upgrade for it?

Interestingly, the club deluxe king room does not seem to show on hyatt.com on any day, it is not possible to book it.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:19 pm

Park Hyatt Sydney and Park Hyatt Canberra seem to be creating their own GP rules.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:25 am

So is one of these true?

Either I should get the Club Deluxe King room as a Diamond (their best available "room") without needing to use the suite upgrade or;

I should get the Park Suite if I do..

Or is it fair that I should get the Club Deluxe room as a suite upgrade?

Just trying to work out if I should write to the hotel or call the Diamond Reservations (who set me up with that room).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.