Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: m0hamed
The "Ambassador Lounge" is permanently closed
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2002, 5:24 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
I have been a frequent visitor to the Canberra Hyatt over the last 8 years.
It had slipped significantly the last two times I visited , which was in 2000.
I suspect it no longer deserves to be called a Park Hyatt (in Asia/Pacific at least).
HOWEVER I will be staying this weekend in the NY Park Hyatt (Stanhope?).
Will be interesting to see if it meets even Canberra's falling standards!
Old Feb 9, 2002, 11:21 pm

Well, The Park Hyatt Stanhope is a much nicer hotel than the Grand Hyatt in NYC, a hotel I will NEVER stay in again.

Nice service , reasonable rooms, tho not as big as the Hyatt in Canberra and about double the price.

If only the management at Canberra could get their act together, the exchange rate alone would make this one of the best Park Hyatt bargains worldwide.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 3:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Back from a six night stay at the Canberra Park Hyatt.

Bostum, I agree that this should be a Regency, not a Park. From there we have very different experiences.

Check in was excellent. Bags from car to room without our involvement in any maner. 60 second wait to check in. Valet parking was A$15 per night. Service was mostly good, with occasional waits when returning to the hotel.

Room service was ordered on to occasions. Order was in our room within 25 minutes.

Regency Club is large and includes an outdoor seating area for 15-20. All alcoholic drinks are free. Evening snacks include two hot items to pick over. Suprisingly no cerery/carrots, etc. About 20 items in all. Breakfast was standard continental plus, and scrambled eggs and meat (bacon a couple days, sausage the others). Drinks were normally brought to you. On occasion, and one night, we poured our own wine. Attendants were excellent. People using the club were generally dressed well, unlike the barefoot/ripped shorts wearing patrons often found in the US.

The carpets through the core area of the hotel have a nap which makes it look like some of the places are water stained. This is a cosmetic problem.

Two eateries are in the hotel. We did not use either.

There are tennis courts, indoor swimming pool and exercise room in some buildings out in the back of the hotel. We did not use these either, but we did take a peek.

Directions provided by many of the staff were always excellent and helped, even us, to find our destinations.

Room 334 has a small balcony (one of only a few) that looks into a courtyard. As it only had one chair and a high concrete wall we did not sit out there. We were bothered a few times by receptions and business meeting breaks that flooded out to this area. Our room was simple and honestly, not at all like the Park Hyatt in SYD. No mouthwash, q-tips or nail files. Did have a phone in the TOI. Couch, table, chair, minibar, sprinklers, adequate lighting, coffee table, tv, pay movie and high speed internet access. Water pressure was excellent and two robes were provided. Our room was alway well serviced.

Note this hotel was built in 1924. It was restored in 1988. It is rated 5 star. They do an excellent business for high tea, weddings, conventions and receptions. They also cater the food service at several outside venues.

If you go, say hello to Doug, head concierge. Staff in club. Sprio a first class individual, hard working and strong family dedication. Grant the best map drawer and direction giver and also had working. Neal was the mainstay. He was excellent. He also was training several new people (and some from other departments) while we were there. Very professional. Courtney was brand new. A forensic student. Melted right into the job, as if she had done it years. Rachael was also almost brand new. She did her job well.

Check out and luggage handling were first rate. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Stayed on points and ran up a very modest bill on our stay. Diamond amenity was two glasses of champange in the lobby. A bit modest, perhaps. I have NO experience with any other hotel in Canberra.

For information on where to go and what to see in Canberra, refer to my write up which sould be on the trip report in a few days.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 5:50 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
IMHO I have no idea why Canberra is a PH.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 4:50 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
I tend to agree with you regarding the property being a PH, but I also have to say that their Balcony King rooms are really nice, very spacious and have a beautiful view of the sourrounding gardens. Certainly, their guestrooms are nothing special at all.

But IMO the rate is great and if you are in the area anyway (which you might not want to be right now due to all the horrible bush fires) give it a go.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Recent Experiences at PH Canberra?

Can't find any reviews posted here since the decidedly mixed accounts of 2000-02.

Has this property shaped up? Am considering a stay in late October.

And are the suites worth going for? The hotel website says most of them are in a new wing, which may have less character than the historic wing.

Thanks.......
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Explore
Can't find any reviews posted here since the decidedly mixed accounts of 2000-02.

Has this property shaped up? Am considering a stay in late October.

And are the suites worth going for? The hotel website says most of them are in a new wing, which may have less character than the historic wing.

Thanks.......
I stayed there in August for one night. It was a weekend and hotel was very busy with weddings and parties, but was very nice. The old building is quite charming and a bit of a maze, but the room was nice and comfortable

I was updated to the RC room which was good and I believe that the amenity was a bowl of fruit and the RC was very good. They had an excellent spread of food and drink at night and very nice staff. The breakfast was very complete.

I don't have any experience with the suite, but was quite fine with my room and had no regrets on the stay. Enjoy your stay.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 5:39 am

The rooms have been upgraded in the last few years. the bathrooms are quite exquisite, following the art deco theme.

The rooms are spacious , the RC food and beverages are a number of notches above anything you will get in a domestic U.S property.
The gym and other sporting facilities are pretty good as well.

October is spring, so the weather should be particularly good. Keep an eye out for the hot air balloons going across the lake.

The suites are bigger, but not particularly inspiring. I find the normal room quite ample.
In summary, go and enjoy.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Hyatt CBR

Once again my travels met Hyatt... dont know why but as of late Hyatt has come through nicely... This time one night yesterday in Canberra. Great local and 4 minute cab ride away from my appointment. Right on the lake and my "club" room was very plush and flat screened... Couldnt ask more and Im starting to re-think my relationship with SPG (or lack thereof...)
This week is a good week: Yesterday made Plat on AA and also Yesterday made Plat on Hyatt... funny thing is... both unvoluntarily
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:58 am

Last month for 2 nights using points.
Upgraded to club room (all rooms are more or less equal) , main difference is access to the Club.

Club is terrific, decent breakfast and the nibblies at night time can fill you up quite quickly.

Good , efficient service . A bit expensive to park underground ($20?) but you can park outside for free in the open air.

One of my favourite Hyatt's. Much nicer when it was a 5K reward.!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
just got back

I just got back on Wednesday from a 4 day stay. My fifth visit.

It was a paid stay, with a coupon upgrade to club level.

As always, the place is wonderful, fresh and the service is excellent. Club breakfast, snacks and drinks are great.

It is certainly the best hotel in the city.

Winter (now) is not the best time to visit, if you have a choice. Very chilly and gets dark pretty early.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:41 pm

Nice hotel, we stayed 2 nights redeeming FFNs. The room on club level faced the lake but you could not see the lake, there were trees behind the windows. Also, the windows could open. NIce lounge with reasonably good breakfast and evening canapes/drinks. Gym had bicycles for hire (30AUD for a day) which is a good way to see the sights. Concierge recommended good restaurant (Belucci's). Diamond amenity was laughable though - 2 peaches.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:55 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm going to be spending a night here. What is the best way to get here from the airport? Taxi? shuttle van? About how long does it take, and how much does it cost?

Any advice on what I should see on my first ever brief stop in Canberra? Are there half day city tours? What is within an easy walk?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:03 am

I don't think you walk in Canberra, as the city is surrounded by 5 sattelite cities, it is there that people may be walking. Around Hyatt, it is mostly monuments, museums, etc. The hotel is located next to Lake Burly Griffin - the artificial lake, named after the Chicago architect who was Canberra's original architect. Best way to see the city from Hyatt is really on a bike, and the hotel's gym has them (6am-9pm). Otherwise, you need a taxi to get anywhere, but it is not too expensive. Taxi from the airport is around 20AUD and 10 mins. If I only had 1 day, I would go to National Capital Exhibition. Because it is small, very manageable, but pretty informative. Of course, other main attractions are War Memorial (free tours every 1/2 or hour but may last a while), and National Australia Museum. We spent two nights in Canberra, and really liked it. Within walking distance of Hyatt there is a National Library (free internet), National Art Gallery (has Degas exhibition, and more importantly strong Australian collection), and National Portrait Gallery. Most museums are free. Manuka area has some good restaurants (Belluci's was one), but it is 10 AUD in a taxi. When we mentioned to Sydneysiders that we liked Canberra, they thought that it was time for us to go back, but our impression was good, and people were all friendly, and more relaxed than in Sydney. We need to go back for more museums, also the surrounding area is supposed to be nice. Too bad the sea is 1.5 hr drive away.

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Jan 26, 2009 at 9:09 am
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is the best way to get to the hotel? Is there a shuttle bus? Should I use a taxi?
I would use the taxi. It will only cost you about AUD 30-35 at most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.