Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 10, 2001, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

If you want great food and an awesome view of ORD along with downtown Chicago, take the shuttle bus from ORD to the Hyatt Regency. It's a beautiful hotel with a wonderful revolving restaurant on top called Ventannas (sp?), specializing in seafood. The restaurant sits on top of the hotel and is open during the evenings. Along with the lights, it's amazing to watch the planes on their final approaches just a few hundred feet away from the hotel, along with great food. You should try it.

Besides the restaurant, the hotel itself is one of the best pieces of architecture itself in that area.

Located only 1 mile east of ORD in Rosemont.
Old May 11, 2001, 9:22 pm

I've only stayed there once and I'm not in a hurry to return. Very noisy. Rooms were small. Like the Westin much better.
Old May 13, 2001, 7:59 pm

Hyatt O'Hare----

Who are you kidding. I have stayed there many times over the last year and even with Diamond Status (and upgrades) the Hotel is badly worn and the service is poor.

Not up to Hyatt's standards, not even close
Old May 14, 2001, 9:23 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Overall, this is not one of their better proprerties. From my standpoint, the main thing it has going for it (over the Hyatt Rosemont), is that you can walk to it from the BlueLine (Rosemont stop). Otherwise, it is just your less than average convention hotel. As far as viewing the planes in and out of O'Hare, most airport hotels will do just as well.
Old May 15, 2001, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I just booked 2 nights there in late June. Any pointers on which rooms, part of Hotel I should request?

Sounds like the restaurant is a great place to entertain guests/clients.
Old May 15, 2001, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Don't expect to sleep much at night with the jet noise. I think this hotel was built long before airport hotels added soundproofing.
Old May 16, 2001, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
thanks stimpy!

Any of the local places any better?

Old May 16, 2001, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only nice thing about the otherwise crappy ORD Hyatt is in certain rooms on certain nights you can see eight or more pairs of planes in the distance coming in nicely lined up in their landing patterns. AWESOME!!

MisterNice
Old May 16, 2001, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The O'Hare Hilton is one of the finest airport hotels in the world, especially if you are Gold or Diamond. And you can walk there from the terminal. Search the Hilton forum for comments.
Old May 18, 2001, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I think this hotel has some of the most poorly designed rooms in the chain. The first (and only) time I stayed there several years ago, I had the pleasure of staying in this "pod" room.

At each corner of the building is a circular protrusion with incredibly tiny, pie-shaped rooms. They don't even have enough room for bathtubs-- shower stalls only. Incredibly, there was no disclosure at any point prior to my entering my room that they were giving me an over-priced "faux" hotel room. By the time I entered, I was too tired to go back to the desk and complain.

I won't go back there, ever (at least not until they reduce the price of the rooms to reflect the lower property standards).
Old May 19, 2001, 7:31 pm

Don't forget this hotel has a overnight parking fee for SELF-PARKS.
Old May 3, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 200 ngts/ 200 legs/year
Hyatt O'Hare----

Who are you kidding. I have stayed there many times over the last year and even with Diamond Status (and upgrades) the Hotel is badly worn and the service is poor.

Not up to Hyatt's standards, not even close
This post is from 2001...any more recent experiences. Considering Hyatt Ohare vs. Westin Ohare.
Old May 3, 2005, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
This post is from 2001...any more recent experiences. Considering Hyatt Ohare vs. Westin Ohare.
The Hyatt O'Hare still sucks. It reminded me of the 70s-era poured concrete buildings that most of the buildings of my university were compised of. The rooms are average at best and the "pod" rooms really are terrible - and I'm not a picky guy. Breakfast buffet was sub-par.

On the other hand, I tried the Hyatt Rosemont last weekend and it was nice - clean, cozy and the lines aren't as crazy at the front desk. There is no complimentary newspaper here, though, even for Diamonds, and the restaurant is more on par with a 4 Points.
Old May 4, 2005, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM Lifetime PLT, Hyatt LT Diamond, Marriott LT PLT, Hertz PC
Restaurant Changes

FWIW, the Hyatt ORD has made some fairly siginificant changes to their restaurant line-up since the arrival of a new GM late last year (this according to a server). Ventana's (the revolving rooftop restaurant) has been closed for good, and T.O.P. (The Steak Place) has been relocated next to Knuckles, in the space where Aldo's was years ago. Looks like they're turning the original wood-paneled T.O.P. dining room into a conference room of some sort. My guess is that they didn't have sufficient demand for both resturants, because they'd been using a split schedule for some time -- T.O.P. is now open seven nights (had been just Sun-Tues prior to the overhaul).
Old May 5, 2005, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
I would agree with the assessments of the hotel. It was nice, but ordinary. I was non-plussed.

But the restaurant, on the other hand, is among my favorite 3 or 4 in all of Chicago. The crab cakes and lobster egg rolls are AMAZING. Worth staying there once just to try the restaurant. Then again, I suppose you could just go there for dinner!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.