Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:29 am

I hope that you claimed your 7000 (NEW+G2) bonus points
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
can I get airline points on priceline booking?

HI all,
I'm sure that this is a rather naive question. Booked one night at this hotel using priceline (50% discount compared with best rate otherwise). I'm hyatt gold (i.e. entry level) but don't really stay often, and therefore chasing status is not an issue.

I know it is rather cheeky, but what are the chances of having this stay counting towards BA miles (if booked regularly, would be worth 500 BA miles)? Should I innocently give them my EC number at check in and chance my luck?

help appreciated, thanks,

tb
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:41 pm

Third party site bookings do not count towards stay credits or points. You should earn points for any incidentals.

Although it does not hurt to give your GP number and ask them to add any promo codes available. The Hyatt ohare has a S6 bonus going on until 12/31 for 5000 bonus points and G2 for 2000 points.

If you have miles as preferred earning option you might not qualify for the point bonuses

Good luck.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Stay on 12/18

If I could use one word for this hotel, it would be: BLAH

From start to finish, this wasn't the worst hotel I have every stayed at but it certainly wasn't a great stay either.

Garage: The parking garage is very industrial and very run down. I knew it was going to be $17 to park, but still seemed not worth it and the garage is very uninviting.

Check-In: Mistake #1 - Silly me, I though the Self Check-In would be cool. I have done it before at a Hilton and able to select my room. This was my first Hyatt check-in and stupidly assumed it would be the same. There was no room selection, no nothing. It just spit out my card and printed my room number. I had requested King, high-floor. Room was an accessible Double Bed on the 3rd floor. There was no way to change it except to wait behind the 37 United Flight Attendants who had all arrived at once. Why was there only one person on duty at the desk? After much waiting, they put me in the "Executive Floor" and I was on my way. Now why didn't the check-in machine do that?

Lobby: Very nice lobby. Reminded me of some hotels in Tokyo. Open and airy with some whimsical touches.

Elevators: Slow, slow, slow. It took a very long time to get them to close and then go up to the room.

Room: If this was the room after renovations, I would hate to see if before the renovations. As mentioned, it is unbelievable they would renovate the rooms and keep the old televisions. The chair had ripped upholstery and the shower handle didn't work too well. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the towels were nice.

Workout Facility: Quite nice. Lots of treadmills and ellipticals. Very good touch to have earphones for the machines provided. Probably the best part of the stay.

Dining: Tried to dine at the restaurant but it was closed for some reason. The bar was open for dining but I didn't want to sit on giant over-stuffed chairs to eat. Went out for dinner instead.

Overall, the hotel was ok but would definitely not choose again in the area. Shocking that the renovation only seemed to mean the beds and pillows in the room. TV, shower and furniture were all very dated and not of the upgraded variety you find in other hotels.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
If I could use one word for this hotel, it would be: BLAH

From start to finish, this wasn't the worst hotel I have every stayed at but it certainly wasn't a great stay either.

Garage: The parking garage is very industrial and very run down. I knew it was going to be $17 to park, but still seemed not worth it and the garage is very uninviting.

Check-In: Mistake #1 - Silly me, I though the Self Check-In would be cool. I have done it before at a Hilton and able to select my room. This was my first Hyatt check-in and stupidly assumed it would be the same. There was no room selection, no nothing. It just spit out my card and printed my room number. I had requested King, high-floor. Room was an accessible Double Bed on the 3rd floor. There was no way to change it except to wait behind the 37 United Flight Attendants who had all arrived at once. Why was there only one person on duty at the desk? After much waiting, they put me in the "Executive Floor" and I was on my way. Now why didn't the check-in machine do that?

Lobby: Very nice lobby. Reminded me of some hotels in Tokyo. Open and airy with some whimsical touches.

Elevators: Slow, slow, slow. It took a very long time to get them to close and then go up to the room.

Room: If this was the room after renovations, I would hate to see if before the renovations. As mentioned, it is unbelievable they would renovate the rooms and keep the old televisions. The chair had ripped upholstery and the shower handle didn't work too well. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the towels were nice.

Workout Facility: Quite nice. Lots of treadmills and ellipticals. Very good touch to have earphones for the machines provided. Probably the best part of the stay.

Dining: Tried to dine at the restaurant but it was closed for some reason. The bar was open for dining but I didn't want to sit on giant over-stuffed chairs to eat. Went out for dinner instead.

Overall, the hotel was ok but would definitely not choose again in the area. Shocking that the renovation only seemed to mean the beds and pillows in the room. TV, shower and furniture were all very dated and not of the upgraded variety you find in other hotels.
Good trip report
lol sounds like you have some buyer’s remorse
What makes for an inviting garage in your opinion?

The hotel as I understand it has not completed its room renovation other then the Grand Beds
Very little was done except for the public areas most of which look pretty nice IMO

Based on the recent promotion I would happily stay at the hotel anytime if they keep up such great promotions.Otherwise there are a wealth of other options to consider at ORD ^

As for the restaurant being closed you may want to consider yourself lucky
I had awful chicken soup for 8 dollars (the chicken floating around tasted like rubber pencil erasers) that chicken must have had a very tough life or it was boiling for weeks. The broth not as good as most canned soups....a shrimp appetizer that tasted like it was marinated Orange scented furniture polish
And Prime Rib that was so smoked you forgot it was once beef/meat
HORRIBLE.The salad was nice and the premium upscale olive oils and vinegars very impressive
I would say while all dining/food is subjective this was simply appalling. The desserts on the other hand which I certainly don't need hit some high points. The service was excellent and concerned.

Shy of that I had a good soild stay even with my tired room and the otherwise still dated aspects of the property.
Nice Regency Club too though the evening offers were scimpy.
Breakfast was good however.
Like many of those that work at the hotel a very nice team overall
Would happily go back in the right situation

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 23, 2007 at 12:50 am
Old Dec 21, 2007, 4:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For those guests on the "Business Plan" rates that include a complimentary breakfast, where do they eat breakfast?

[Apparently the 7,000+ points per night that are still available -- for up to 5 stays if using the offer code NEW prior to year end -- is quite enticing.]
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The hotel as I understand it has not completed its room renovation other then the Grand Beds
Very little was done except for the public areas most of which look pretty nice IMO

You would be correct. They've only finished phase 1, which was pretty much everything except the guest rooms. I believe the last room renovation was sometime 2002/2003, so it's been a few years.

GUWonder, I believe business plan breakfast is served at Perks.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by chiro
I believe the last room renovation was sometime 2002/2003, so it's been a few years.
Argh. I should have consulted FT before I booked a room there for later this week. I had assumed the renovations were done.

The Hyatt O'Hare is the only higher-end airport hotel that I've stayed in that completely disregards the idea of sound-proofing.

I guess I should be thankful I have a 630am flight out in the a.m. because I certainly won't be sleeping. Here's to hoping the service is better than it was last time I attempted to stay there (the only time, in my life, that I've checked out of a hotel at 3am and went to a new one).
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:07 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by belynch
Argh. I should have consulted FT before I booked a room there for later this week. I had assumed the renovations were done.

The Hyatt O'Hare is the only higher-end airport hotel that I've stayed in that completely disregards the idea of sound-proofing.

I guess I should be thankful I have a 630am flight out in the a.m. because I certainly won't be sleeping. Here's to hoping the service is better than it was last time I attempted to stay there (the only time, in my life, that I've checked out of a hotel at 3am and went to a new one).
Can you cancel and rebook for the Hyatt Rosemont property? I think that most FTers seem to prefer that property.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteropny
Can you cancel and rebook for the Hyatt Rosemont property?
No, I booked the "web rate". That, and for some reason the Rosemont property (which I've stayed at a few times, and definitely like) was like $50 more expensive. Which is what drove me to try out the O'Hare property again.

Oh well. I've certainly stayed at worse hotels. And at least my expectations are about as low as you can get with this stay.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
And at least my expectations are about as low as you can get with this stay.
And the O'Hare Hyatt certainly lived up on my low expectation(s).

Started off with the shuttle to the property. I don't know why I even bothered. With all of the mAAd dog refugees the hotel pier thing was a mad house and of course the stupid Hyatt only ran their shuttles once every 30 min. after 11pm. I was half expecting a fist-fight to break out as everyone bum-rushed the bus when it finally pulled up.

The line to check-in was about 20 people deep so I used the kiosk. Was placed in the "executive wing" which relegated me to wandering around for 20 min. looking for the covert elevators. Ended up being down a darkened hallway that I mistook for a service hall (no joke) the first half dozen times I passed.

Yup, the lobby is a lot nicer than it was. I almost considered sleeping there.

Room was a time machine to 1984. At least the bed was nice. Still no sound proofing, so you get to listen to the planes taking off and landing all night. Plumbing was spotty and the handle in the shower came off in my hand. The room however very spotless. Which is good.

Not sure what made this room any different than any other room, being on the quasi 28th floor (actually the 8th floor?). At least it wasn't one of the wedge shaped disasters.

Checking out I asked for a folio and they gave me a blank one. That'll go over real well with the auditors. And they made fun of the guest in line in front of me after he checked out, with me standing right there. Now that's classy.

I just called to get them to send me a new folio and you have to leave a message and they'll send you a form to request a folio. Nonsense.

This hotel was, and remains, the worst Hyatt I've ever stayed at. Even after the rooms are renovated I still wouldn't consider staying here again. The "Hyatt touch" at O'Hare is like a swift kick to the back of the head.

Bah. Humbug.

Edited to add: I almost forgot. I banged my shin on the dorm room style mini-fridge which was parked right next to the door. Still not sure why it was there or why it was so out of place hanging out right there by the door like that.

Last edited by belynch; Apr 14, 2008 at 2:12 pm
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Stayed at this lovely hotel last weekend. As usual, friendly staff all around, and spotless room. It is hands-down my favorite O'Hare hotel. I'm considering trying the new O'Hare Intercontinental, but the HR O'Hare is just too fantastic.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Stayed at this lovely hotel last weekend. As usual, friendly staff all around, and spotless room. It is hands-down my favorite O'Hare hotel. I'm considering trying the new O'Hare Intercontinental, but the HR O'Hare is just too fantastic.
After the previous heavily critical comments, SEAUAKID sounds like a company shill. However, I too was satisfied with my $79 AAA weekend stay at the property recently - including G2 and 1W bonuses, half an FFN and MC 2K bonus, and full breakfast with the AAA tie-in (I ordered the creative Rosemont scramble; thankfully there was no boring buffet). Although I actually slept at the $84 Schiller Park Candlewood Suites to earn 15K IHG points there.

To the extent I experienced it, the O'Hare Hyatt was spacious and pleasant. Soaring lobby; nice architectural accents. It is the only Hyatt I know that has a special floor for Diamonds - the next-to-top 28th floor (29th floor may experience aircraft noise). The remodeled Diamond floor was pleasantly decorated, including striking potted plants and comfortable chairs near the elevators. Unfortunately the Executive Wing requires a hike from registration. The rooms seemed quiet, though perhaps the planes were on a different trajectory that day. Front desk staff and maids were warm and helpful.

Free Internet on the computer terminal in the ground-level Regency Club, though T-Mobile rules otherwise. A few breakfast items like yogurt were left in the RC refrigerators into lunch, and cookies, candies and nuts were put out. Coffee, espresso and cappucino available all day. Unfortunately dirty dishes were stacked in the RC sink, and the TV was turned way up, with no attendant in sight (I turned the TV way down, as some Asian visitors half-watched it).

Last edited by Explore; Sep 29, 2008 at 4:25 pm
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've not been fond of the OHare Hyatt on past stays, for 3 reasons:
  1. It's huge. It has 1008 rooms.
  2. Diamonds are put in the far tower, which means a lot of walking from the front desk, lounge, and restaurant area.
  3. Parking is $18 and is quite a hike.

Despite that we had a very good one night stay this weekend. We arrived at OHare, and hiked over to the hotel van pick up area across from the Hilton. The Hyatt van pulled up just as we arrived. We were taken directly to the OHare Hyatt. The van is shared by the Rosemont Hyat but no one on the van was going there.

I attemped to use a suite upgrade cert, but the hotel was packed due to a number of conferences. The check in clerk was highly apologetic, and gave me a food voucher - neither expected or needed, but unexpectedly generous.

We went to the lounge before heading to our room. The lounge is immediately behind the front desk. It is small but attractive, with a contemporary design. There is a generous array of sophisticated appetizers set out at night. We had a particularly good apricot couscous, along with flat breads and dips. There is one computer which is free for use. The staff was gracious and outgoing, asking if there was anything we needed or that they could do for us.

Our room was fine, very spacious, albeit with a minuscule bathroom.

We used the food credit we had been given for breakfast, as the lounge offering was meager.

We then walked to the Blue Line to go into Chicago. It is roughly 2 1/2 long blocks from the hotel. We thought it a much better choice than taking the hotel van back to the airport and catching the train there. Mind you, we had idyllic weather this weekend. I wouldn't want to make the walk in the dead of winter.

The hotel lobby was renovated last year. The hotel is about to begin renovation on the rooms. A model room was set up, but we forgot to go in search of it.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
This was my first Hyatt check-in and stupidly assumed it would be the same. There was no room selection, no nothing. It just spit out my card and printed my room number. I had requested King, high-floor. Room was an accessible Double Bed on the 3rd floor.
This weekend was my first time with the kiosk check-in, too, and I also ended up with an accessible room on the 3rd floor (my profile is also high floor). I stayed put, though, as the bed was plenty comfortable, room looked recently redecorated, and had a flat panel TV. The only real difference that stuck out was the bathroom design with rails and not having a fixed shower head, but that really wasn't a negative for me.

Although they were busy on Saturday night with a bridal event and a lot of folks from Harley Davidson, things changed radically on Sunday night (which may account for the 2,000 point G2 bonus). There were 4 of us at breakfast at 9a.m. Monday, and when I checked out at 10 there were only 2 people in the restaurant. The place looked like a ghost town.

I did pop into their bar and looked at the food menu, but $13 for a hamburger was a little much for me. I walked over to the McDonald's past the train station and got a burger there instead.

I paid a $71 base rate using the 3A discount, and that included breakfast from the menu with orange juice, tea or coffee. I had their house special omelette one day that came with some bread with mozarella cheese with it, and the second day had a ham and cheese omelette that came with toast and hash browns. Was quite happy with the service and the food. I booked this hotel Saturday morning in conjunction with an AA award ticket and arrived Saturday evening.

Didn't use the pay-internet (TMobile) here as I had free access with my home account at Starbucks which I used in the city.

Didn't take any inside photos but did get one of the etxerior from the train station platform HERE.

Train fare into the city was $2.25 one way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.