Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency O'Hare REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:35 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
It was back open again when I stayed a couple of weeks ago. I was told the closure was less than a week in total, and due to staffing issues.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I just called to ask about parking, and whether it was discounted for Diamonds.

Was told $25 for self-park, $30 valet, and no Diamond discount. Seems pretty high for Rosemont. Would appreciate any other data points.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveH
I just called to ask about parking, and whether it was discounted for Diamonds.

Was told $25 for self-park, $30 valet, and no Diamond discount. Seems pretty high for Rosemont. Would appreciate any other data points.
Hyatt Rosemont's parking is free for your stay. Do Parking planning if parking longer.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks once again thucanhho. My family likes club access, and I might stay here over Deerfield (or Rosemont) but for:

-charges for parking, including Diamonds
-no P + C availability, only points.

I have read that others have opened up P + C by calling the property, didn't try that gambit here.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Interesting. I booked a p+c rate thru Hyatt's twitter account about two months ago. Is this a recent change?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Had a two-night stay over the weekend, and as usual, it was pretty good for this property.

Check-in

I still think they need to do a better job with the Diamond line. Almost every time I've stayed here, there are only two or three people behind the desk and often 5+ guests per desk. Diamond line is non-existent, which really sucks when they've got a big wave from the international flights.

Regency Club

Except for breakfast on Sunday, we were the only guests in the RC each time we visited. Chicken skewers for dinner on Saturday, lox for breakfast on Sunday, and a tasty fish/chicken/rice dish on Sunday night. The large fridge in the club is also very nice, as it allows for guests to grab drinks and take them back to the room, even after the RC is done serving.

Room

I booked a room with two queen beds, yet when we got to the room, it had one king. Instead of going back downstairs, I called the front desk and they were able to remotely update my keys to work on the new room. Very nice feature and certainly saved some time!

Overall

As usual, the stay was pretty good. Staff are always friendly and willing to help and the RC is a nice benefit. We did look at eating in the restaurant on Sunday night, but thought it to be too overpriced.

Though they don't pick you up, it is very nice to be able to ride the shuttle over to the Blue Line at Rosemont.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I had a very nice stay at this property. I didn't check out the lounge, but the rooms were very well appointed, and the staff were very nice. I would stay here again.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:59 am

Nice property

Had a nice 1 night stay at this property on Sunday, May 17.

Arrived on an 8:30 AM flight, shuttle was quick. The room wasn't ready yet, so I was given a key to the club lounge which was serving breakfast. Spread was good.

Staff was very proactive and all smiles, eventually got my room around 1 PM. Nice room with a personal greeting on the TV, which I thought was a nice personal touch.

Only small gripe is that they didn't call me to tell me when my room was ready; I had to ask about it. But it's not that big of a deal as early check-in is not guaranteed anyway.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:36 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
One-night paid stay on a Friday night. Special check-in for Diamonds, not enforced. There's basically one line. Just get in it and wait your turn.

Club is in the lobby. "Regency Club" rooms are in the "Executive Wing", quite a hike from the actual club. However those rooms are a tad fancier than a regular room.

Regency Club has evening hors d'ouevre consisting of one hot item (I can't remember what it was) and various other tidbits. Breakfast is okay with one hot item (in this case, small breakfast sandwiches) and an assortment of continental breakfast items. My one suggestion for improvement is to add another toaster (or perhaps crank up the heat on the existing toaster) to make the line for the toaster move faster. Attendant in the club is professional and efficient.

Shuttle van to and from the airport was superb service (especially compared to a hotel where I've recently stayed and which features abysmal begrudging service to/from the airport). Plenty of things to do in the vicinity: we walked to the famous Giordano's and had a memorable Chicago-style meal.

No issues with checkin, checkout or points posting ... even though I paid part gift-card and part credit card.

Overall it was a great stay and I'd eagerly stay here again.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Aug 10, 2015 at 12:28 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed at this hotel last night; it didn't do a lot for me. It wasn't awful, it wasn't great.

The shuttle service was unusually prompt, though the drivers in both directions were a little gruff.

Check-in was handled by a trainer and a trainee, so I got to wait while things were explained. I generally don't mind that, but I neglected to ask about the paid upgrade I'd requested (in a weak moment). I was reminded of that when I got to my room and it did not appear to be an upgrade. I called to the front desk to see if this had been overlooked or if they were full--I was told in fact I had gotten the upgrade, but it basically included RC access and late check out (both of which I would have gotten anyway). Looking back at the ad for the upgrade, it clearly touts the larger size room. If this room was the larger size, I wouldn't ever want to stay in the smaller one. Indeed the room reminded me, in layout and amenities, of a Hyatt Place (except smaller and no couch).

The internet worked very well (I got the premium service). The connectivity to the TV is cumbersome.

I used the RC twice, before dinner and at breakfast. The attendant was very nice and helpful both times. Both times, there were many food options. I would like to have seen more healthy options at dinner time, but they more than made up for it at breakfast, with several different berries and melons.

I didn't otherwise eat there; there's a Morton's about two blocks away. I've eaten there twice and both times was impressed, and neither time was it crowded.

I used the gym in the morning; about average I would say. Nothing fancy; limited tv options on the cardio equipment (no ESPN!).

I was going to raise the upgrade thing again on checkout, but there was one desk clerk on duty and 3 parties ahead of me, so I just used the express checkout. Yep, the upgrade charge was there. By that time, there were two desk clerks but they were having such a good time yakking with each other and I didn't have a lot of time at that point, so I decided to raise it later.

I've stayed at 3 different hotels within the 2 block area of the Convention Center in Rosemont this summer---the Doubletree and the Hilton being the other two. I think the Hilton is the best of the three, with the Hyatt and Doubletree pretty even.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jcresq
I've stayed at 3 different hotels within the 2 block area of the Convention Center in Rosemont this summer---the Doubletree and the Hilton being the other two. I think the Hilton is the best of the three, with the Hyatt and Doubletree pretty even.
Do the Hilton and Doubletree have lounge?

Have a morning flight at 7:30, wonder if we will have enough time to have the breakfast in the lounge? Look like they open at 6:30 am.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Did a quick overnight here over the weekend. I was originally going to stay at the new Hyatt Place in the loop as McCormick Place was booked all weekend but switched to here, as I'm really getting tired of the HP breakfast/scene and didn't want to pay the 7.5k/$100 at the Regency downtown.

Location is pretty close to the Rosemont Blue Line stop, but I was disappointed that there was no pedestrian bridge or cut-through directly from the station to the hotel, like there is with the (previous) Cumberland stop and the Renaissance and Marriott O'Hare properties. There's a fence to prevent cutting through the parking lot of the hotel, even, so you do have to walk three entire blocks around to the front entrance of the hotel. Since it's rarely warm in Chicago, this could be noteworthy.

Upgraded to an "Executive" room on the 28th floor; not sure of the difference here, but it seemed to be a slightly bigger room, it did have a proper desk, and there was a Keurig machine and refrigerator. Also, in the bathroom I was provided with Kenet face wash and lip balm (never seen either before) and mouthwash, no toothpaste.

Was not there early enough to sample the evening offerings at the Regency Club, but as others have noted, it's very small and adjacent to the check-in desk on the first floor- quite a strange setup. Breakfast was probably the weakest offering I've seen in a Regency Club lounge. One hot dish - some kind of spinach frittata that I didn't notice until it was too late. Packaged yogurt, cereal, and some rather sad-looking fruits and smoked salmon. The salmon looked pretty suspect, and the fruit was indeed pretty sad - a brown banana, some soft strawberries, moist honeydew slices, etc. At least they had mini croissants and two kinds of (also kind of sketchy-looking and tasting) cheese. I know I'm getting spoiled on breakfast by places like the Olive 8, but this one was below normal HR level. I think the next time I stay here, I'm going to request breakfast in the restaurant. Especially because I came all the way out here to avoid Hyatt Place breakfast, this was somewhat disappointing.

Everything else was ok, pretty standard - check-in and out were both very speedy due to an (enforced) Platinum/Diamond line, so my usual "everything's great until check-out leaves a bad taste in my mouth" routine was not played out here.

Ultimately, it reminded me of the Hyatt Regency Denver Tech Center - way outside the city and very, very average in every way. That's not a bad thing - I could have been fighting children for stale french toast at the HP downtown - but there was just nothing exceptional or exciting at all.

It is a good value at only 4k/$55 on a Points+Cash rate, and sometimes can be had for sub-$100 all-in. If you don't mind riding out to Rosemont (which I don't, as usually I'm somewhere on the Blue Line in Chicago anyway), it's a solid value.

However, I was ultimately left with the same feeling as every other time I've tried a new Hyatt property in Chicago. This city is supposed to be Hyatt's "flagship" city, and every Hyatt at which I've stayed here is flawed on some level.

McCormick Place - great Diamond treatment but boring breakfast and bad location (for some, I don't mind it)

Magnificent Mile - Good breakfast and rooms, clueless service, way too expensive most of the time for what it is

Centric The Loop - Nickel and diming the whole time, bad Diamond recognition, great breakfast

Hyatt Regency Chicago - Don't like the location, pretty average, blah service the one time I stayed there

Hyatt Regency O'Hare - Way out the blue line, subpar breakfast, OK otherwise

So it's like every place has some serious flaw. From what I read of the Park Hyatt, there are also problems there. I always feel like Hyatt should concentrate their efforts into one "A" hotel in Chicago rather than a wide variety of "C" properties.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I've stayed at most of the locations you discussed in Chicago and agree with your assessment. Chicago has one of the best collections of 5* hotels in the US (langham, WA, FS, Pennisula) and I agree Hyatt needs to up the ante on PH.

However, while the other hotels are not great for diamonds, they are well priced and well located for the nonDiamond market and likely more profitable for the chain.

I hate HP b/c I find no value as a Diamond. I don't want the 500pt if it's a breakfast I won't eat. However, I think it is a great value for nonDiamond families with all having jr suite setups and free breakfast. I think that is why they recently open 3 HP in downtown Chicago.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
$45 Anniversary Rate

Sorry if already posted, but saw this deal on Twitter. Anniversary rate for $45 rooms at the O'Hare Regency on the select dates below when using the rate code OHFUN. Looking at the rate rules, I believe the last day to book is today.

Reduced rate
Booking start date: 28APR16
Booking end date : 29APR16
VALID ONLY:
April 28
May 8,22,30
June 12,19,30
July 4,5,6,7 10,17,24,31
August 25,28
September 5,25
October 2,16,23
November 20-27
December 9,10,11,15-29
CANCELLATION POLICY
Cancel 24hours Prior To Arrival To Avoid One Night Pnlty
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:48 pm

rolo, thanks for the heads up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.