Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
BHH,

The main concern I see is actually that they kept you waiting in line for quite a while with a young child. If they had any customer service sense, they should have parked you in the seating area or the cafe/restaurant with a drink or coffee and send someone to get one of you to pick up the keys when they are ready.

Suite upgrade during Memorial weekend is a little much to expect since they would be busy. I took my parents to Park Hyatt Toronto on FFNs and I wanted them to have a suite so called ahead to ask what are the chance of getting one and they said it would probably require a extra fee of $50 but they could not guarantee it since most of the suites are booked. I asked to be put on the waiting list and said that I would be more than happy to pay the fee for 1 of the rooms and preferably have the 2nd regular room for me on the same floor. They managed it the day we arrived and get us a 1bdrm suite and a deluxe room and we were very happy. If suite is important for you and you are paying an eligible rate, I would suggest that you use the 6K points to get a suite upgrade.

Their breakfast is strictly within the letter of the GP policy since pastery, coffee and juice is continental breakfast. This is what I get at a Crown Plaza I stay at sometime if I did not have time to go down for breakfast at the restaurant. I might be slightly disappointed at a Park Hyatt to get such a breakfast but they are within their right, just not very great customer service since happy customers spend more.

When at PH Vendome in Paris last May, the breakfast was so nice (free coupon on a free FFN) that I treated 5 friends to brunch (breakfast buffet with a main course and a glass of champagne) there at I think 52 Euros a person and paid 20 Euro upgrade on my own brunch and spent about 100 Euros for drinks and snacks with another friend another evening. 400 Euro food and beverage sales is not bad business...
Old May 31, 2005, 3:44 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
When we stayed there last August the staff was very friendly, helpful and accomodating. As it as low season we received one of those executive rooms with a fireplace.

I agree, that the breakfast is nothing special (especially for us coming from Europe), but within the limits.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:11 am

I have stayed at this property a number of times during ski season. I too have been disappointed with service and amenities. While the locations is great, for the price, I have switched to the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch for my hotel stay in Beaver Creek.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek - Noticeable Improvements

I am at the PH Beaver Creek this week for 3 nights, all FFNs (extension granted.) I checked in at 9 am, and no rooms were available. Asked for an upgrade and was denied. I pointed out my Diamond status and asked if they could check while I was skiing. They called my cell phone at 1 pm with a mountain view junior suite ready for check in.

Breakfast certificates were for 1 pastry, 1 tropicana juice, and 1 cofee or tea in the Cafe. They proactively mentioned I could use these in the restaurant, if I preferred. We used them in the cafe this morning, and made substitutions with no problem.

Since I've been here, many employees have greeted me by name, and the manager left a voicemail thanking me for staying with them. There are two large groups in the hotel this week, and many families with children. They appear to be very full, yet I am still getting great treatment.

This hotel has been criticized over breakfast coupons and service in the past. At least this week, they seem to have fixed the problem!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sscott77
...Breakfast certificates were for 1 pastry, 1 tropicana juice, and 1 cofee or tea in the Cafe. They proactively mentioned I could use these in the restaurant, if I preferred....
You must be more attractive than me. I was told that breakfast certificates are good for the Cafe only. Based on the post above, I went to Bivans and tried to used it but was turned down. I confirmed it with the restaurant manager and two different front desk personnel. The Diamond breakfast certs are good for the Cafe only. Oh! no junior suite for me either. It must be because of your dashing look.

I have been visiting PHBC regularly since 1994. The Diamond breakfast certs are good for the Cafe only since the beginning which I believe was the late 90s. Despite this shortcoming, I actually like PHBC. The location and ambiance cannot be beat! ^ Of course, now I am disappointed because they treat you better than me.

Posted from PHBC.

Last edited by TerryK; Mar 25, 2006 at 5:12 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Olip
I am planning to go to the PHBC over easter 2007.
Does anybody have experience how the handle 6000 Pts Suite upgrades?

Thx, Martin
It is tough to get any sort of meaningful discount at PHBC during the ski season, so prevailing rates may not be so bad. The problem is that this property has very few suites available for upgrades, especially after the conversion of one wing to Vacation Club (timeshares). Most of the suites are hugh multi-room suites not available for upgrades (they go for $3000 a night ). I have never tried to use the 6000 points suite upgrade but Diamonds rarely get upgraded there.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:30 pm

PH Beaver Creek - mini report March 2007

The PH Beaver Creek opened (as a plain Hyatt) in 1989, and I made my first visit during the Summer of 1990. Inspired by the awesome location and level of service, I returned (with family) for the 1994/95 Xmas/New Year period. We were so impressed with our winter skiing experience; we immediately booked the following Xmas/New Year. We had such a great time that we returned to Beaver Creek for the following two years; but then our interests changed and we opted for sun and surf for our next Xmas holidays.

I have not been back to Beaver Creek since 1997 and not wanting to waste three (otherwise unusable) FFNs, I managed to snag a reservation using FFNs in mid March. I was interested to see the changes that had been made since major renovations to the property in 2002, and 2006.

The most recent renovations apparently cost $20 million which was spent on room upgrades (roughly $10K per room according to Hyatt) and an expanded/enhanced spa (costing $12 million). I had great expectations for my visit.

The check-in process was smooth and as a Diamond, I was informed that I had been upgraded to a Slopeside King room (in previous years I had always received an upgrade to an Executive King, complete with fireplace). I was given the usual welcome amenity choices, and handed coupons for the special Diamond Members Breakfast Club which entitled me to:

1 Pastry
1 Tropicana Juice
1 Small Coffee or Tea

The above items were only redeemable at the Café (a shop) and in theory substitutions were not allowed. The cashier at the Shop was fortunately a little more flexible.

There was no way to upgrade the coupon to either a continental breakfast ($16.57) or a full breakfast ($26). There were no other breakfast options (coupon, continental or full) and the restaurant, (Bivans) did not offer a la carte options.

The room did not immediately reflect the 10K improvement. The TV was an old analog cathode tube type; the shower was in the bath tub and the furniture and carpet looked old and worn. The bed however was luxurious; there were new wall treatments and a new clock radio with an iPod docking station. So much for the roughly $10K per room.

With regard to the public areas, the renovations seemed largely cosmetic. The main bar had been lengthened and the carpets were replaced, otherwise the public rooms looked much the same as they did in 1997. Where did all the money go?

It had been spent on converting about 80-90 rooms into 15 fractional-ownership apartments. Originally, the Hyatt had 301 guest rooms (and no spa – which was added in 1998); the 2002 renovation reduced these to 274; and the most recent renovation further reduced the rooms to 190. Where did all the space go? Not to larger rooms, or additional public areas, but it was converted to make way for the spa and the apartments.

The money spent on the spa however was very apparent. The new spa is spread over two floors and features a “Water Temple” where water tumbles over stone into a heated, aromatic mineral bath. The spa also features two deluxe treatment suites that offer a private steam shower, changing area, massage tables for two, and more. Apart from looking, I did not try the spa.

The big selling point for the PH Beaver Creek is LOCATION, LOCATION, and LOCATION. The hotel sits in the middle of a village and in addition to a ski-in, ski-out advantage, there is a ski valet to look after your skis; a nearby ski school (offering lessons from age 3 up); an ice skating rink; a rock climbing tower; snow cat tours; bike rental; nearby golf and fishing in season. There is a Camp Hyatt for the kids and (one of the best features) an outdoor pool and hot tubs right next to ski slope.

Diamond recognition was minimal. Service was not memorable and check-in/check-out times are 4:00pm and 12:00 noon. Meals and laundry are expensive and it you want to use one of the PCs in the business center it will cost you $5 for 15 mins.

Visit this hotel if you want to experience the location. Do not come looking for a “Diamond Experience” as you will be disappointed
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:42 am

The PH Beaver Creek is both unique and exceptional and I do not hesitate to recommend it for a skiing holiday - especially with your family. The location is fantastic and the PH is comfortable. It is also expensive - but so are all ski resorts. It is just not a great "Diamond Experience" - but that is not everything.

Why not visit the PH in summer when the rates are circa $100 and you can check out the facilities.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Blue/IC Royal Ambassador/LeadinghotelsRegular
ditto, any recent experiences, i am not a diamond so for us lowly golds, i dont expect recognition, just need to know if this is a nice hotel to stay in.

I like a nice room, nice bar, good ski conditions for a wobby intermediate. Is there a town village nearby? any apres ski not lively, but paino player in the bar and such like?

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:35 am

The PH Beaver Creek is ideal for your purposes.

It is in the middle of a village and you just take the elevator down to the bottom floor and walk out the door. The village has lots of bars, restaurants and shops (equipment, booze, food, etc.)

Enjoy
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:51 pm

Highest possible diamond upgrade at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek?

I will be visiting the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek this december and I was wondering what would be the highest possible room upgrade for a diamond member. I know diamond members get the best available room (excluding suites) at checkin. I was reading through the room description and notice they have a room category called Executive King room. My question is if one is available at checkin, as a diamond member, I would be entitled to it? They do not classify it as a suite. The hotel informed me that the slope view king rooms are what they would upgrade diamond to. It sounds like the Executive King Rooms would be the best available ROOM since it isnt a suite. Thoughts?

http://beavercreek.hyatt.com/hyatt/h...ocale=&start=3

Room Description
Executive King
Luxuriate in this 600 square foot Beaver Creek accommodation offering a comfortable sitting area with overstuffed armchairs and a gas fireplace. Inviting, suite-style guestrooms with marble bath, thick terry robes and signature Allegria Spa amenities are complemented by a generous work table with enhanced lighting, comfortable armchairs and one king signature Hyatt Grand BedTM, fitted with sumptuous linens and down duvet piled atop a plush pillow-top mattress. Breathtaking views welcome you to a luxurious retreat in these spacious Beaver Creek Colorado accommodations, offering every amenity including wired and Wi-Fi high-speed Internet access ($9.95 / 24hrs), dual phone lines, voicemail, iHome stereo with iPod dock, complimentary daily newspaper, 24-hour room service and easy video checkout. Inquire about available balconies, connecting rooms and sofa sleepers.

---------------------------------------------------

DIAMOND MEMBER BENEFITS
Enjoy an upgrade to a Regency/Grand Club® room, based on availability, with entry to a private lounge that includes complimentary continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres. In the event that Regency/Grand Club rooms are not available, you will receive an upgrade to the best room available and access to the Regency Club lounge or daily complimentary continental breakfast.**†
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:40 am

I have stayed several times at the PH Beaver Creek as a Diamond and although I had usually been upgraded to and Executive King, this was not the case for my latest stay.

The Executive Kings are always in high demand, especially during the peak season, and I would urge you to set realistic expectations regarding the likely upgrade that you will receive.

Also, if you want a decent breakfast, either bring your own, or be ready to pay. The continental breakfast is $16.57 and the full breakfast is about $26 +. Unfortunately, the special Diamond Members Breakfast Club entitles you to:

1 Pastry
1 Tropicana Juice
1 Small Coffee or Tea

Arrive with the lowest of "Diamond expectations" and you will have a wonderful time.

Last edited by peteropny; Nov 21, 2008 at 10:12 am Reason: Removal of Link - Irrelevant after Merging
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:21 pm

Parking is $24 per night. No regency club. I like the rooms facing the ice rink.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:20 pm

Diamond/no diamond, here I read "not too great" of stories about PHBC. But in the FFN's, people seem very sad not to be able to get a res/because they have to cancel their res. What is the true deal here? Is it least expensive & better to eat in the village. Is it worth it to u n the summer as opposed to going in the winter b/c of the skiing. In the summer, is it only good for a wknd/is a week ok. How much does the village have to offer. Just some example questions.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:34 am
Suspended

Just got back from staying at the park hyatt beaver creek and wanted to fill everyone in on the latest i saw. I have stayed here before and will absolutely stay here again! There are too many negative reviews on this board and it is a great property with an amazing location! If you have the chance to stay here do it.

-Location is directly in the beaver creek village. Easy access to shopping, ice skating, restaraunts, and bars. The hotel is also located on the ski slopes!

-Parking is indeed 24 dollars a day, but you can park for free at the beaver creek entrance elk lot and ride the shuttle bus to the village. Attractive as the hotels location is so ideal most people will never need their car. I am a repeat visitor and always park in the beaver creek lot after i check-in.

-The ski valet is the one of the best perks of this hotel. Amazing convenience.

-The Spa here is amazing. Recent multi-million dollar upgrade, asked to take a look and they were very nice to show me around the beautiful facilities.

-I received crystal geyser water in the room instead of the usual Fiji water. Maybe this was because i didnt pay the resort fee since i used points or maybe they ran out of fiji water.

-The Allegria spa shampoos and soaps in the room are very nice quality and smell great

-The pool and hot tubs here are very nice. Smore happy hour (4-5) and a great fire pit are located slopeside.

-If you request a coffee maker they will bring one to your room (complimentary) with great local coffee selections.

-The cafe is pricey but offers pretty tasty food and has a nice seating area down the hallway where the temporary restaurant was during renovations.

-There are much cheaper dining options in the village so no reason you need to eat here if its too pricey.

-The new restaurant 8100 that just went in is a big upgrade. Very nicely done. Great new bar area. New bar menu with some lower priced items available at Dinner. The beef sliders were sixteen dollars and filled me up. Very tasty. Breakfast buffet was 31 dollars for adults and did look very good. There are much cheaper very close breakfast options right in the village so no reason to pay that if you arn't a big breakfast eater.

-Points are a great use at this hotel, as rates can be quite high. I have Never paid full price.

-Stayed here using points and the resort fee was waved! The resort fee is still 18 a day. They did welcome me back as a repeat guest (was my fifth time staying here)

-This hotels location is great. It is a great ski hotel. You have to remember that it is a ski resort hotel. This hotel is very popular with families. You will always see lots of kids running around during ski season. The high amount of kids makes the hotel staff do extra work running around cleaning up after all of them. I think they do an excellent job. You can't compare it to a Park Hyatt that deals with business travelers. This is a vacation hotel and they do a great job conditions permitting.

-The hotel sells alot of the more premium rooms and suits regularly during peak ski season so gold passport guests can't be upgraded often because the rooms have been paid for. That isn't the hotels fault they cant upgrade people if the rooms are booked. All rooms here are nice anyway its not a big problem. No HD tv, but you are here to ski and get away, who cares about the TV.

I have stayed at the Ritz Bachelor Gulch, Stein Eriksen Lodge, Hotel Park City, Four Seasons Jackson Hole. The only one of those i enjoy more than the Park Hyatt BC is the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Park City, Utah. The Stein Eriksen is easily the best ski hotel in North America period but the Park Hyatt is a great hotel.

If you have the chance to stay here do it. The location is great in the village. It is a great hotel if you can get a good package rate or use points. I personally do not think its worth 500 a night as there are so many lodign options in the vail/beaver creek area, but it is a great hotel with the best location.

Last edited by SkiUtah; Apr 5, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.