Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
If purely on a reward stay you'll be exempt from the resort fee. Having a car in BC is not a must as long as you plan on skiing only there. Visiting other ski resorts will require having the car, especially if you want to go somewhere other than Vail.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
When do the slopes open? Seems like you'd lose 4-6 hours if your flight only arrives at noon, versus flying into DEN the previous night?
The main lifts open at 8:30 a.m. If you are flying into EGE you would likely be lucky to get in a few hours on your first day - if you don't ski regularly, that may be a good way to ease into the vacation. If you area regular and/or expert skier, then just ski really hard. Depending on your flight options, flying into EGE may or may not make sense, but is an option to keep in mind. You really don't need a car if you are just heading to and from BC. Powderhound transportation is an alternative to CME worth looking into if you are traveling as a family. The shared CME vans to Vail and Beaver Creek almost always seem to have the PHBC as the last stop so you can get to Vail and then spend an hour or more driving around dropping off other guests.

The resort fee at $50 does come across as steep, especially for Diamond guests - you would have to consume an impressive amount of s'mores to make that worthwhile.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Does anyone have any experiences of staying here in the off-season? (AKA summer). Looks like most posts are (as expected) winter experience.

Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by neo_781
Does anyone have any experiences of staying here in the off-season? (AKA summer). Looks like most posts are (as expected) winter experience.

Thanks!
Bump, thinking of staying here in Sept
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:12 pm

Thanks!
Originally Posted by cshel
Bump, thinking of staying here in Sept
Stayed there over the fourth and it was a great stay. Check-in was smooth, staff was great, and the room was clean and comfortable.

As a platinum, received two free drinks. Was charged $25 for valet parking as expected. My only complaint was the service at the restaurant was horrendous. However, the food was good (dinner).

It was busy over the fourth but I would like to go back again. We were able to enjoy the concerts and fireworks from our patio.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Will Work for Miles
Stayed there over the fourth and it was a great stay. Check-in was smooth, staff was great, and the room was clean and comfortable.

As a platinum, received two free drinks. Was charged $25 for valet parking as expected. My only complaint was the service at the restaurant was horrendous. However, the food was good (dinner).

It was busy over the fourth but I would like to go back again. We were able to enjoy the concerts and fireworks from our patio.
Outside of the S'mores happy hour and the ice skating rink, what kind of activities were available? Any recommendations?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:20 pm

Thanks!
I would hardly consider summer the off-season. Summer or winter (or any time), the actual physical plant (the hotel structure, architecture, rooms and furnishings) is not that spectacular, but Beaver Creek and the surrounding area is beautiful. The PH is in the heart of the village with a (small) multitude of shops and restaurants right there. There is much less than Aspen but you should still be able to find varied options for meals.

Your post doesn't really say what you are looking for. If you are looking for a great place to hike and enjoy nature and return to a perfectly nice hotel, the PHBC would be a great option. If you are looking for a busy, vibrant mountain escape with lots going on, you may want to view the activity calendar of the resort. There are some great sport and culinary events throughout the summer and the resort does get quite busy some weekends.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Do you FTers think that Breck is a better place for all sorts of summer activities (biking, hiking, fishing, etc) than Avon for summer activities?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Personally recommend Vail Valley over Summit County (even though Summit County calls itself "Colorado's Playground" or something.....)

Vail Valley has great outdoors, but also has better dining and entertainment after all the outdoor activities. When all else fails, head west on I-70 and you will end up in Glenwood Springs, or continue south there to Aspen......

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Do you FTers think that Breck is a better place for all sorts of summer activities (biking, hiking, fishing, etc) than Avon for summer activities?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
A bit of a late review (stayed here beginning of August), but I wanted to post for those considering the PH Beaver Creek in summer. I'm not a skier, so I'm in no danger of returning in the winter, but summer in Beaver Creek was fantastic.

We stayed one night at the Westin in Avon and then headed up the mountain to Beaver Creek about 9:00 AM as we wanted to maximize our time there. Valet parking was an absolute breeze. We were pleasantly surprised to only be charged $20 for the valet parking at check-out.

This was our first time in a PH after many HR and GH stays, so I was expecting an extra notch of luxury. In general, I didn't really get that. Our room was not ready but the lovely FD associate provided us with bottled water and promised to call on my cell when the room was ready.

One ski lift, the Centennial Express lift, was open, and lift tickets (unlimited rides all day) were $30 a person. We took the lift all the way up the mountain and hiked down in the morning, a rugged, somewhat grueling (at least for my GF) 4 mile hike down with many switchbacks.

Our room was then ready, and I was kind of disappointed that the lowest-level King room I booked is exactly what I got as a Diamond, no upgrade of any kind; our view was of the hotel entrance and the valet parking.

Beaver Creek Village itself was quite alive during the summer; everything appeared to be open. While there are a few dining options in BC, I wasn't too impressed by the variety. We first tried the Blue Moose Pizza and were ignored for about 10 minutes, so left there and went to the Dusty Boot Saloon which is kind of a Texas Roadhouse knockoff kind of place. Decent bar food and beer. We actually ended up there twice as we couldn't find anything better in BC.

Took advantage of the great jacuzzis here, but unfortunately, only 2 of them were really working. There are 5 in total along with a smallish (non heated in summer) lap pool. Only the large middle jacuzzi was working along with one smaller one. I kind of felt like, if you're staying at a Park Hyatt, all of the facilities should at least be working properly.

Breakfast the next morning in the PH restaurant, 8100, was fantastic, easily the best Hyatt breakfast I've ever had. We could have ordered whatever we wanted ala carte (FD said we had $100 F+B credit for breakfast), but the buffet was so great we couldn't pass it up. Artisan salads, charcuterie, cheese, lox, pretty much everything you could imagine on a breakfast buffet.

So the breakfast was the highlight of the trip. This place really didn't live up to my expectations of a Park Hyatt (non working jacuzzis, very basic room) but overall the location was fantastic and I would come back here again in the summer in a heartbeat as long as the rates weren't too bad. We paid a rate of $207 in the summer which I pretty much thought this place was worth. I can't imagine paying $800-$1000 a night for this place in high season. You're paying that much exclusively for location, and not for the property itself.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:27 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I can't imagine paying $800-$1000 a night for this place in high season. You're paying that much exclusively for location, and not for the property itself.
When you are an addicted skier, your sense of economic reality departs. And if you have a wife and kids who think you nothing more than a portable ATM machine, then your sense of sanity also gets tested. Nothing though beats the PH Beaver Creek location or amenities in winter. Period.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by eightblack
When you are an addicted skier, your sense of economic reality departs. And if you have a wife and kids who think you nothing more than a portable ATM machine, then your sense of sanity also gets tested. Nothing though beats the PH Beaver Creek location or amenities in winter. Period.
This. We can usually get in one ski trip per year, maybe two if we're lucky so being right on the mountain and having the dedicated ski butlers and other services has become a must for us. I will agree that it seems like a huge ripoff, but the place is full every year, so there must be plenty of suckers just like me out there. After experiencing this place, the St. Regis Deer Valley and the Four Seasons Whistler, we normally won't ski anywhere else unless we know it's going to have comparable services and amenities.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by eightblack
And if you have a wife and kids who think you nothing more than a portable ATM machine
You can do what I do, this ATM machine has many service and servicing fees...

Last edited by peteropny; Aug 24, 2015 at 10:41 am Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:07 am

Hoping you guys could help me out here...

Looking at staying at this resort using points. Here's my plan:

March 10th-14th

Flying into DEN (can't find any award flights going into EGE) renting a silvercar ($218 after discounts). I've read to do the shuttles, but the shuttle for 2 people is $200 each way, which is more than the car rental and parking fee combined.

I plan on leaving the resort on Sunday afternoon (13th) and heading back to spend a night in DEN since my flight out would leave at 9am the next morning and I don't want to wake up at 4am to drive back.

What are your thoughts on this plan?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Are you planning on skiing? I'd expect snow and treacherous weather the 2nd week of March on that drive and would plan for lots of extra time.

I'm planning a DEN trip March 5-8 (just in the city) and will be expecting cold/snow and will be pleasantly surprised if there isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.