Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency DFW Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency DFW Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Stayed here mid-summer on a pre-flight overnight (duh) and was favorably impressed. The breakfast, in particular, stuck out -- it was high quality as (usually adequate to good) Hyatt b'fasts go. Some very good pastries, as I recall, and also some food with local flavor on buffet ....

We schlepped to and from airport via the up-and-down steps in the parking garage. Further than I would have imagined. I should have been tipped off by how hard it was to find the exit to the hotel from the airport, as well as the manifest confusion among airport employees whom we asked. This said, I always prefer walking to shuttles/vans/cabs etc., so I see the ability to walk from the airport as a plus.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
There was no separate Diamond line to check-in. (I went up front and asked if there was a separate line).
There is a line for platinum and diamond now, with a distinctive carpet and sign. On the far right of the desk. Used it this week.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Stayed this week in an exec suite (after using a DSU) with the family, arriving around 1030pm and leaving at 8am the next morning. Got the sandwiches (cold beef and cold shrimp) and a bottle of wine as the amenity, as we had not had dinner. The room was two rooms adjoining one another, one bedroom with two queen beds, and a sitting room. Smaller balcony for plane watching, but usable. The furnishings were a bit dated but definitely functional. Everyone was quite friendly, but we did not eat breakfast at the hotel as we wanted to try the Centurion lounge (massage for the wife). Would definitely stay again.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:50 pm

So I'm not sure whether to stay here or the Grand Hyatt "inside" the DFW airport. It's for an overnight (potentially arriving around 10-10:30 p.m.) and leaving the next morning around 9:00 a.m.

I don't mind a 4-5 minute walk either way.

What I am wondering about is:
a) Is there any sort of "service" where you can have your bags checked in for you via *either* Hyatt and then all you have to do is basically go through security with your carry-on (mobile boarding passes)? Is that this "fastboard"? thingy?

b) I have no status with Hyatt, so is there any breakfast options included at either place?

Basically there looks to be about a $75 price difference between the two for dates WAY in the future.

I don't think we need to eat dinner that late (I'd have heartburn), so basically just going to bed and waking up/shower/eat and leave. Although we'll have breakfast on the plane (FC), so I guess just a little snack is fine as well.

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hurnik
So I'm not sure whether to stay here or the Grand Hyatt "inside" the DFW airport. It's for an overnight (potentially arriving around 10-10:30 p.m.) and leaving the next morning around 9:00 a.m.

I don't mind a 4-5 minute walk either way.

What I am wondering about is:
a) Is there any sort of "service" where you can have your bags checked in for you via *either* Hyatt and then all you have to do is basically go through security with your carry-on (mobile boarding passes)? Is that this "fastboard"? thingy?

b) I have no status with Hyatt, so is there any breakfast options included at either place?

Basically there looks to be about a $75 price difference between the two for dates WAY in the future.

I don't think we need to eat dinner that late (I'd have heartburn), so basically just going to bed and waking up/shower/eat and leave. Although we'll have breakfast on the plane (FC), so I guess just a little snack is fine as well.

Thanks!
(a) No
(b) No

The GH is much nicer, but in your situation, save the $75 and stay at the HR.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I agree with previous poster and in fact plan to stay at HR in a similar situation on an upcoming trip.

Also, I am a total walker -- walk everywhere, avoid cabs, cars, etc.

This said, I will say that I was surprised how odd the walk was to the HR from the terminal. The exit was not well-marked; it took forever to find an airport employee who could direct us correctly. And while total walk time may not have been over 5 minutes, it was basically a lot of poorly marked ups and downs through a (perfectly safe) parking structure.

Anyhow, I'd still do -- and still will do -- the HR. But if you guys have heavy or unwieldy luggage, you might want to plan ahead a little (take the shuttle?).

If there is an easier walk, I would love to stand corrected.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I agree with previous poster and in fact plan to stay at HR in a similar situation on an upcoming trip.

Also, I am a total walker -- walk everywhere, avoid cabs, cars, etc.

This said, I will say that I was surprised how odd the walk was to the HR from the terminal. The exit was not well-marked; it took forever to find an airport employee who could direct us correctly. And while total walk time may not have been over 5 minutes, it was basically a lot of poorly marked ups and downs through a (perfectly safe) parking structure.

Anyhow, I'd still do -- and still will do -- the HR. But if you guys have heavy or unwieldy luggage, you might want to plan ahead a little (take the shuttle?).

If there is an easier walk, I would love to stand corrected.
So one thing that may or may not make it "easier" for me, anyway.

Since the Hyatt's don't have a baggage check thingy for you (I could've sworn the Chicago or MCO one did, but that may have been a long time ago), it seems that since my arrive/departure into/out of DFW is under 12 hours (barely), that I can have AA just check my baggage through. So all we'd need/have is carry ons.

I'll have to check the DFW forums for AA to see how busy it is. Until I flew out of MIA (ugh), I never had more than a 5 minute wait in the priority line on AA. (MIA was like 45 minutes).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:54 pm

If all you have is carry-ons, then do HR by all means.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:35 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Recent two-night stay was very good.

Airport transportation: reliable. They run a loop every 20 minutes. (You could also walk from Terminal C through the garage, however there are several short flights of stairs.)

Restaurant : fantastic breakfast, including omelets made to order, a wide variety of hot and cold items.

Meeting space: excellent. If you have any kind of meeting or event, the convenience and price of HR DFW is awfully hard to beat. It's also a joy to work with their staff.

Interesting factoid: One wall downstairs is inscribed with famous quotes from famous Texans. One of the Texans isn't actually a real person. Can you find which one?

Extra touches: The hotel provided a VERY nice welcome gift, totally unexpected yet appreciated.

There was one minor issue, which was quickly resolved. I had used an expiring TSU and was assigned to a single room which looked like any other hotel room. It might have been a tad larger, but when you look at the floor plan (on the inside of the entrance door), my room was exactly the same size as all other rooms on the floor. I sent an email to the hotel, just to ask a question: "Is my room actually a suite? I ask because, according to the fire exit chart, my room is exactly the same size as all the other rooms on this floor. So, either I did not get a suite ... or ... all rooms on this floor are suites. Again, I'm just asking a question.". The hotel replied almost immediately that I was in a "Junior Executive Suite" but they'll go ahead and credit me with 4000 points anyway, as that's the amount of points I would have spent for a suite upgrade. (???? I don't know how to verify this, not that it matters.).

Bottom line: don't waste a suite upgrade here. Otherwise, the hotel is great, especially the restaurant(s). We had the opportunity to dine at Mister G's Steakhouse, and discovered it to be a fantastic hidden jewel at DFW airport.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I suggest also tempering expectations for the “fantastic” buffet. My experience has been that it is a normal Regency spread, perhaps above average with the omelet station, but fantastic? That’s reserved for the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong and similar ilk.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:11 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MarkOK
What was the welcome amenity your received?
  1. An assortment of non-alcoholic beverages. (My profile mentions that I prefer mini-bars etc have all the alcoholic beverages removed.)
  2. A personal invitation from the a hotel manager to dine comp at Mister G's Steakhouse
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by dpb132
I suggest also tempering expectations for the “fantastic” buffet. My experience has been that it is a normal Regency spread, perhaps above average with the omelet station, but fantastic? That’s reserved for the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong and similar ilk.
You are correct, the non-USA locations almost always have a great breakfast. Still, I'd put the breakfast buffet at HR DFW in the top 5% among properties in the USA. Admittedly, some of their high ranking is due to the unique Aviation Theme in the restaurant's decor.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
  1. An assortment of non-alcoholic beverages. (My profile mentions that I prefer mini-bars etc have all the alcoholic beverages removed.)
  2. A personal invitation from the a hotel manager to dine comp at Mister G's Steakhouse
That is a good value and welcome gesture indeed.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:28 am

Update: I contacted My Hyatt Concierge. Explained that I used a suite upgrade but (AFAICT) I was not in a suite.
Asked them to check into it (at their leisure, no rush). Concierge asked if there was a "separate living area", because that's "the definition of a suite". I replied that it was ONE cavernous room, just like most hotel rooms, and there definitely was no separate living area. I wasn't angry or anything like that. Simply put, if I used a TSU and did not get a suite, then I need that TSU restored for a future use. I assured them that there would be many future uses, as I plan to continue with Hyatt.

The next morning, 12K points were deposited into my account.

Takeaway: don't use a TSU here. The hotel will try to put you into what they call a "Junior Executive Suite" which is a regular-sized room plus a mini-fridge and a K-cup coffee machine.
There was one minor issue, which was quickly resolved. I had used an expiring TSU and was assigned to a single room which looked like any other hotel room. It might have been a tad larger, but when you look at the floor plan (on the inside of the entrance door), my room was exactly the same size as all other rooms on the floor. I sent an email to the hotel, just to ask a question: "Is my room actually a suite? I ask because, according to the fire exit chart, my room is exactly the same size as all the other rooms on this floor. So, either I did not get a suite ... or ... all rooms on this floor are suites. Again, I'm just asking a question.". The hotel replied almost immediately that I was in a "Junior Executive Suite" but they'll go ahead and credit me with 4000 points anyway, as that's the amount of points I would have spent for a suite upgrade. (???? I don't know how to verify this, not that it matters.).

Bottom line: don't waste a suite upgrade here.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:34 pm

Update: I contacted My Hyatt Concierge. Explained that I used a suite upgrade but (AFAICT) I was not in a suite.
Asked them to check into it (at their leisure, no rush). Concierge asked if there was a "separate living area", because that's "the definition of a suite". I replied that it was ONE cavernous room, just like most hotel rooms, and there definitely was no separate living area. I wasn't angry or anything like that. Simply put, if I used a TSU and did not get a suite, then I need that TSU restored for a future use. I assured them that there would be many future uses, as I plan to continue with Hyatt.

The next morning, 12K points were deposited into my account.

Takeaway: don't use a TSU here. The hotel will try to put you into what they call a "Junior Executive Suite" which is a regular-sized room plus a mini-fridge and a K-cup coffee machine.
Shows again how much variety (and luck) there is in this game. We did an overnight there last summer when I was still a Glob, en route to HI. Got (without asking or using a TSU) far and away the biggest suite I have ever gotten at a Hyatt, room after room ... some sort of presidential suite? We were disappointed we were only there 12 hours. If we hadn't been headed for HI, we might have come up with some pretext to stay for awhile!

Btw, I agree that this is definitely one of the best US HR b'fasts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.