FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/133565-grand-hyatt-istanbul-review-master-thread.html)

JNelson113 Jan 13, 2001 6:45 am

Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Has anyone stayed here? Opinions please.

World20 Jan 13, 2001 3:17 pm

Its been 2 years, but I stayed there many times. Great property, good service.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.

pegasus8228 Jan 17, 2001 12:48 pm

i stayed there...a pretty good hotel...what are your other options?

JNelson113 Jan 17, 2001 3:55 pm

Well, if it were just me traveling, I'd probably look at the Four Seasons or Ciragan Palace. However, I'm bringing family members along, and it's working out more economically to stay at the Hyatt.

One thing I'd like to know is anything about the neighborhood it's in. Generally okay?

pegasus8228 Jan 17, 2001 7:55 pm

yes...and it is about 5 min walk to either the plaza (forgot the name, taksim plaza?) or to the palace....and it is cheap to go by taxi in istanbul.......intercontinenal is opposite the street, a bit taller and newer (perhaps also a bit more $)

RTWSTARALLIANCE Apr 2, 2002 7:25 am

I have not stayed at this Hotel. I was
staying at the Inter Continental in IST
which is across the street from the Hyatt.
Location is ok. Fare in taxi from IST is
very reasonable. Do not use any hotels car
service as it is a rip off. Pool area looked
very nice as the people at the Hyatt were
having alot more fun than the stuffy people
at the IC. That's all I know.

Dampflok Apr 2, 2002 11:29 am

Stayed there January 2001. Very nice property. Modern building with some elements of local traditional architecture (as usual in European/Asian Hyatts). Nice pool although it was too cold for it in January. Impeechable service, good food. Located in a little park (IC and I believe also Hilton nearby). Location is at the end of the western oriented shopping area with a little tram way running through the street. This very street also has a lot of nice restaurants. Only downside: To downtown with the bazar and the sights you need to talk a (short) walk to the tram way, take the tram, take an (equally funny) subway, walk across the Galata bridge and take the next tram and you will be there. Or you take a cab in the first place, which is rather inexpensive as already mentioned in previous posts.
Enjoy your stay

jes999 Apr 25, 2002 2:08 pm

I stayed at this hotel several times 4 or 5 years ago and found the service impeccable. The rooms were very large and comfortable. I hope that they have kept up the 5 STAR standard that they used to live by.

sfvoyage Mar 3, 2003 11:10 pm

all male housekeeping staff at Hyatt Istanbul

When I last stayed at the Hyatt Istanbul, 2-3 years ago, I noticed that all the housekeeping staff I ran into during all 4 days were men, in various age ranges from 20's and up.

Is this common in any other countries or cities? I asked the RC staff about this, thinking perhaps it's due to religious or cultural reasons, but they couldn't answer my question and seemingly never thought about it.

Just curious...

stimpy Mar 5, 2003 11:50 am

Turkey is a predominantly Muslim country. And every hotel I've been to in Muslim countries have all-male staff. You might see a foreign woman as a hostess here and there, but the housekeeping is all male.

GUWonder Mar 5, 2003 12:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
Turkey is a predominantly Muslim country. And every hotel I've been to in Muslim countries have all-male staff. You might see a foreign woman as a hostess here and there, but the housekeeping is all male.</font>
Malaysia and Indonesia are certainly not like that. Plenty of female staff. I even think that Iranian hotels have female staff if I remember correctly from discussions with others.

stimpy Mar 6, 2003 4:57 pm

Well as I recall from Saudi Arabia & the U.A.E. (the most recent I've been to), the staff is all male. Also in Saudi, the doors aren't locked unless you choose to lock them from the inside.

GUWonder Mar 6, 2003 5:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
Well as I recall from Saudi Arabia & the U.A.E. (the most recent I've been to), the staff is all male. Also in Saudi, the doors aren't locked unless you choose to lock them from the inside. </font>
The Arab/South Asian countries are a little different than East Asian muslim countries, then again most muslims in the world are NOT arab. ;-)

It is interesting that the doors at hotels in Saudi are locked from the outside. Old British colonial houses seem to have locks on the outside as well as the inside. I always thought the idea of someone being able to also lock someone in a house from the outside gave a new meaning to house arrest. ;-)

HKG_Flyer1 Feb 7, 2004 11:06 pm

I stayed there a couple of years ago and found it to be fine. Excellent Regency Club and rooms, as I recall.

Neighborhood was safe and relatively convenient, but a little bit off center.

I know my input is brief, but that's honestly all I can recall. Hopefully someone else can provide more insight.

rpnd Feb 8, 2004 5:07 am

Have stayed there a couple of months ago. The hotel is great, definitely a must recommend - they just completed refurbishing the whole hotel, so the rooms are modern and comfortable and high-tech, with free wi-fi internet access throughout the hotel. The location is also a plus in my view - a ten minute taxi drive from the city centre's attractions, but right in the heart of the business quarter. Also is a minute walk away from Taksim Square, with all the bars, restaurants and shops available. In all, I would definitely recommend the Hyatt in Istanbul (check their site at istanbul.regency.hyatt.com).