Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 25, 2000, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering if anyone out there had stayed at either of these hotels and had an opinion as to which is better or if there is a far superior property on bali that I should be looking at. I am trying to plan my honeymoon and while I am looking for R&R I also would like to take in a litte of the native culture.

Thanks

TSEDG
Old Jul 25, 2000, 3:56 pm

Location: Meerbusch, Germany, Amex Centurion, SPG Plat, LH FTL,, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Hi, Grand Hyatt Bali is much better than the Hyatt Regency Bali. Nicer property, nicer beach, more Restaurants etc. Grandy Hyatt offers excellent price/value.

But Bali has lots more of terrific Resorts, Ritz Carlton, Oberoi and -- of course and unbeatable -- the Aman Resorts. They are just perfect, very private, excellent service, food, individuality (and 500$+ per nite)
Old Jul 25, 2000, 4:06 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've stayed at both and they are both quite nice IMHO - just different!

The Bali Hyatt is older and was remodeled recently and you have the Sanur situation, which I like. Nice Regency Club. They used to give a FREE massage per day in the RC.

The Grand Hyatt Bali in Nusa Duah is newer (about 10 yrs old) and has many fine qualities including views, a nice water slide and larger grounds- but is somewhat isolated and you lose much of the magic of Bali at places like this! It is a very nice place and I did enjoy it!

In short, I'd go back to either! Anytime!
Old Jul 26, 2000, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA LTG GGL, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT
I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt twice. The first time was when it first opened around 10 years ago and it was nice and new. The second time was this past Christmas and was really disappointed. They haven't changed anything and the wear and tear was beginning to show. Every time you wanted a towel from the pool, you needed a ticket to get one. They charged a gratuity fee on goods purchased from the hotel shops. I have not experienced having to pay a gratuity fee on goods only sales tax before. I thought it was absoultely ridiculous since no service was provided!

We spoke to the general manager of the hotel who was extremely arrogrant about everything we discussed with him and we left after one night. We were also paying for one of their top suites for 10 nights so we expected a little better response from the general manager.

We switched over to the Ritz Carlton, paid half what we were paying at the Grand Hyatt and got a really nice suite on the club floor with great food selection throughout the day! The rooms very much nicer and modern and the service was great! If you had a choice, I would recommend looking around.
Old Aug 2, 2000, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
We stayed at the Grand Hyatt 4 yrs ago. We liked it a lot - great water slide. BUT, a word of caution: bring water shoes since there is a very rough bottom to the ocean and you must go WAAAAY out to get any kind of deep water. It is remote from the culture and the roads on Bali are slow so it takes a while to get places. I would stay in Ubud for a few days for culture to add to the beach experience.
Old Aug 6, 2000, 6:43 pm

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt many times. I always get upgraded to regency and the regency club is extremely friendly and the staff almost -no THE best of any staff in the Hyatt chain that I have encountered and Ive been Diamond for 4 years!.I love the grounds and unlike BAGOLD dont find it tired.infact I cant believe how good everything looks also if you use the UA 50% off certs you get the room for $100US!!!!!!.I stayed at the Hilton in their exec club last year but found the club staff very unfriendly and the people who stayed there stuffy. I do like your idea of UBUD though karen2,but most of the fabo hotels are in the $300US bracket so its cheaper to get a car every day and travel there every couple of days as for the BAli hyatt it was great 20 yrs ago but is extremely tired now but Sanur is great so stay at the GH and commute by free bus once or twice. well tsegd have a great honeymood
Old Oct 29, 2000, 12:36 am

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
Hyatt at Bali

I'm thinking of visiting Bali in late February 2001 and I'd like to stay at one of the Hyatt properties. Judging from the wesbites, the Hyatt at Sanur beach looks wonderful (as the Hyatt Cancun Caribe is one of my favorite properties).

Is anyone familiar with both of these resorts and can suggest which one is "better".

Also, I know that the rainy season extends to the end of February. Does anyone have experience with travelling to Bali at this time and can provide any advice or opinions about the weather?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Oct 29, 2000, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Hyatt at Sanur Beach is older and smaller but it does have a 'spa'. But the best Hyatt would be the Grand Hyatt Bali. It's on a stretch of its own private beach called Nusa Dua.

Wonderful. Can't describe much of it, but trust me, you'll love it.

The property is very spread out though. It is made up of 8 different villages - one reserved for RC guests only and each has its own theme pool.

If you want exclusivity, you'd be better off in a quieter and more exclusive property like the Four Seasons or Chedi or any of the Aman properties.

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 10-29-2000).]
Old Oct 29, 2000, 4:56 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I essentially agree with Guy Betsy on this but it is a matter of personal taste. I've stayed at both and they are both quite "nice" IMHO - just different!

The Bali Hyatt is older but was remodeled recently and you have the Sanur situation, which I like. Nice Regency Club. They used to give a FREE massage per day in the RC.

The Grand Hyatt Bali in Nusa Duah is newer (about 10 yrs old) and has many fine qualities including views, a nice water slide and larger grounds- but is somewhat isolated and you lose much of the magic of Bali at places like this! It is a very nice place and I did enjoy it!

In short, I'd go back to either! Anytime!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum60/HTML/000188.html
Old Oct 29, 2000, 4:46 pm

Yes the Grand Hyatt at Nusa Dua is really something. especially if you get upgraded to regency. Dont forget you can use your UA 50%off coupons and the rooms rate drops dramatically to 100us plus 21%.The Sanur property is a real dump now the swimming pool is in dire need of refurbishment but Sanur is worth a look in the free bus from Nusa Dua. while your there go to Ubud and have lunch at Pita Maha hotel, its fabulous and lunch is about $15us. the hotel is $300US per night
Old Oct 29, 2000, 5:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
I just stayed at the Bali Hyatt in Sanur, October 17 to 21, in the Regency Club. I also looked at the Hyatt in Nusa Dua. Here are some observations.

I liked Sanur better. In Nusa Dua you are in strictly tourist territory, isolated from Bali. Sanur is much more Bali. The shops will also give you better deals. Actually you can get better even deals if you don't say you are staying in the Hyatt since it's the most expensive hotel in the area. There are a lot of other resort hotels in Sanur that cost about half. Remember that if you pay more than half the initial asking price you'll have paid too much.

The Regency Club breakfast was a disappointment, fruit, bread, pastries and cereal only, and the baked goods were not really that good. The cocktail hour had terrific drinks, they can make anything you want. There were usually only three different types of snack, and they let them run out for a while before refilling.

The room was nice, good amenities, there are some little gifts, bag for swimwear, plam fan, fresh fruit every day.

The grounds are beautiful, lush gardens, fish pools, etc.

You get no free massage but just outside the hotel grounds on the beach there are lots of places to get them at a quarter of the price of the spa. You get one visit to the sauna/steam room/jacuzzi.

Bali was quite hot, walk slowly or you'll be soaked in fifteen minutes. The pools are nice, the beach is nice, the staff is friendly. Food outside the hotel is good and very cheap, full meals for $5-15, beer is $1.15. For sightseeing you can get a minivan with a driver for a day for $15.

There is a free shuttle to the Nusa Dua Hyatt and you can use all their facilities.

The biggest problem that I had was with the bill. The initial bill was almost twice the price I had reserved at and had no details, just a total. When I asked for a detail it took a couple of hours before I got it. Then they admitted they had made a mistake, but did not get fixed right. I'll be calling Hyatt tomorrow now that I'm back to get it corrected.

[This message has been edited by hsilbiger (edited 10-29-2000).]
Old Nov 17, 2000, 5:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
A follow up to my previous posting. I had called Hyatt about tne billing problem and was told they would get back to me. After several long conversations I was told that the charges were correct and that the reservations agent had perhaps not given me the complete information. They would see about better training.

I did not think this was very satisfactory. I was not offered anything to compensate. When I told them that there was a rate on the web that was very close to what I thought I had been offered (a $10/day difference) I was told that the reservations people did not necessarily know what was on the web.

The whole thing has turned out very unsatisfactory. The hotel was not nearly as good as what I had expected and I ended paying much more than what I wanted.
Old Nov 17, 2000, 11:38 pm

Hsilbiger,

Your story made me remember a similar experience (albeit at the Nusa Dua property). At the end of my stay, I got a bill with a rate substantially higher than what I had been quoted at check-in with no explanation. I wasn't able to get things resolved in the short time before I had to leave for the airport, but left feeling gipped out of an extra $1,500.

Although I am a loyal Hyatt fan in Asia, I haven't been back to the Grand Hyatt Nusa Dua, and I guess that's why.
Old Nov 19, 2000, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA LTG GGL, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT
I also had a bad experience the second time back at the Grand Hyatt. We were in the RC wing with a two bedroom suite: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum60/HTML/000188.html

I would recommend the Ritz Carlton, Four Seaons or any of the Aman resorts instead!
Old Nov 24, 2000, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
We stayed at the Grand in Bali and loved the grounds and pools. However, you must bring water shoes for the beach - loads of sharp coral for a long walk out. The whole Nusa Dua area is strictly mega-hotels that could be anywhere (except for the heat and humidity - OK, could be Orlando...) but the Hyatt is lovely and beautifully laid out. If you spend any time in Bali, you will want to stay at several different hotels in various locations because the driving there is very slow. Unless, of course, you do not want to do sightseeing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.