Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 8, 2002, 9:38 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Now wait a minute! This is a hotel near and dear to my Bali loving heart. We always stay at the GBH in Nusa Dua after the long plane ride to Bali even if we just stopped over in SIN. This property has traditionally been cared for like a prize pony. I have never seen gardeners, cleaners and workers stop tending to this property. It is now aging in the tropics, not an easy thing to do. The food is not really much to rave about so go outside the hotel. I love their river pool. I love the adjustable humidity controls and the generally large rooms. Most of all they have traditionally been quite generous accepting UA 50% coupons making it a nice deal.

DO skip the Bali Hyatt in Sanur! It is dark, dank and has yucky mosquito infested grounds.
We stay here traditionally for a 4-5 days to acclimate before taking off to the more native homestay accomadations.

Yes it is not the Amankila but we frankly enjoyed our little unairconitioned rice field home stay as much as any.

Check out the Bali travel forum if you ever have any questions it is tops.

[This message has been edited by ijkh (edited 01-08-2002).]
Old Jan 9, 2002, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
@emaij

I personally prefer the atmosphere at the Grand Hyatt to the one found at the Four Seasons properties (the big bosses with their secretaries who dso not want to be disturbed). Besides, the grounds at the Grand Hyatt are much more beautiful than at any other hotel in Bali BUT it is the Hawaiiain Hotel atmosphere and layout and not the typical Bali one (like Aman or FS). Also the resturants are much better at the Grand than at the FS or the Aman which only offer a rather limited choice of eateries. Let's say different people, different opinions ;-)

By the way, anyone been lately to the Grand Hyatt in Bali and can tell me if they already opened their new Japanese Restaurant which replaces the Inagiku?

Muerz
Old Jan 9, 2002, 10:37 pm

I went to the Bali Hyatt on my honeymoon. It was the best vacation I ever had. We got an oceanview suite, access to the regency club, and super attentive service. The hotel was immaculate. The food, mediocre, but not too bad.

We went to the Four Seasons for dinner and received a tour of the grounds. Not bad, but our suite at the Hyatt was much nicer.

We loved Bali. Our first night was in the rice fields. It was a bit scary but also very romantic. We spent a bit of time in Ubud, went to a cooking class, and went rafting.

I'd be very sad if this hotel has gone downhill.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 3:05 am
SDK

Stayed in both Hyatt in 2000. I have a better time in Bali Hyatt than Grand Hyatt.
Yes, Bali Hyatt shown a bit ageing. Anyways, I will return to Bali Hyatt on next week. Will do a report later.
Old May 27, 2002, 7:10 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Bali Grand Hyatt, transport from airport (DPS)

Please help me. Thanks. I am flying into
Bali (DPS) for a one night stay at the Grand
Hyatt as part of a RTW on Cathay Pacific.
Can you tell me about transport such as taxi
from the airport? How much? How much time
do I need from Hotel to gate? Any reviews of
this property? Thanks again
Old May 27, 2002, 7:27 am

It will cost around $5, and will take probably about 10 to 15 minutes. Go through immigration, outside and to the right, and there is a window where you will pay for a taxi ticket. All the prices are fixed from the airport. Pay for it, and someone will grab your luggage and pull you towards a taxicab that will go to your hotel. I know Kuta is $5 (in rupiah, of course), so Nusa Dua might be closer to $7.50.

Oh, and I would be at the airport an hour and a half early, or an hour *at the minimum*. This is Bali, where they operate on Balinese time, and things like immigration will take 5 times longer than in places like Tokyo and Hong Kong. And I do mean *leaving* as well as coming. There is a tax on departure of....75000 rupiah I think, so have some with you when you get there. It went up from 50k, and I think is 75k now. You will get access to a very nice shared lounge with a couple of computers, some decent food and drink, and with a very nice view of the ocean surrounding the airport. It is probably the nicest shared lounge I have been in for a long time.

Have fun.

[This message has been edited by Darren (edited 05-27-2002).]
Old May 27, 2002, 8:13 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Going back from Nusa Dua can be much more expensive if you ask the hotel to order the taxi for you, just ask one of the taxi drivers in the Nusa Dua shopping center to pick you up the next day and fix the price with him.
Old May 27, 2002, 8:18 am

Yeh, right. The trip back should be about 25% less than you paid to get to the hotel. Prices are negotiable, though it gets to the point that you are debating over 50 or 75 cents. But I stay in Candi Dasa. It costs about 150k rupiah to get there from the airport, and I usually pay 110k or 120k to get back.
Old May 27, 2002, 8:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Darren:
Yeh, right. The trip back should be about 25% less than you paid to get to the hotel. Prices are negotiable, though it gets to the point that you are debating over 50 or 75 cents. But I stay in Candi Dasa. It costs about 150k rupiah to get there from the airport, and I usually pay 110k or 120k to get back. </font>
When we stayed in Nusa Dua, the taxi called by the sheraton would have cost 10 times as much as the normal one ...
Old May 27, 2002, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Taxi to and from the airport will take 15 minutes. As far as taxis are concerned, Darren and Peter41's ideas are good. Yet there is another possibility: The Grand Hyatt operates limousines to and from the airport, it will however cost a fortune compared to what the regular taxis cost. For the return you don't even need to go to Galleria Shopping Centre in order to make appointments with taxi drivers. You can even make them at the GH taxi parking.

As far as reviews of the property are concerned, it is IMHO simply one of the best resorts worldwide! The grounds are simply faboulous, service good (I personally don't need much service at a resort) when you're there for over a week they even know your name! I would reccommend to do the show dinner buffet in the evening. It is good and you can eat as much as you want! Breakfast buffet is subpar at this property. The Continental Breakfast at the Grand Club is better as in most other Grand Clubs and you can even order eggs as you like them. If you stay in a suite, Grand Club access is included.

@RTWStaralliance: Please have a look for me if the new Japanese restaurant is already open. If you want to eat Teppanyaki, the best cook at their restaurant is Mr Sarjono, greet him from the "Luxembourg-people"

Muerz
Old May 27, 2002, 9:43 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
It is indeed a beautiful resort and the great bargain of the Hyatt chain IMHO. We'll keep our fingers crossed for good weather for you. Very jealous...
Old Jun 1, 2002, 7:38 am

Thanks for the endorsement. It really is a good place to go, but I still think that at least a couple of days outside of Nusa Dua or the other tourist places is worth it if you want to be exposed to any culture at all.

Old Jun 6, 2002, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Grand Hyatt Bali Reviewed

I booked a king ocean grand club room using a
UA cert.. Upon arrival warmly welcomed and
shown to Grand Club reception. Grand Club is
a wing one of four within the Resort. Room
was upgraded to Grand Club Suite. Very nice
but no ocean view. Use your imagination.
Finally moved to south wing with suite on
fourth floor (highest in this building).
Suite was large with dining area, living
room, desk, one bedroom, large balconey with
two entrances and bath room as big as a
regular room. Nice but not lavish. Oh also
large entry area and half bathroom. Going
back taxi fare from DPS was 35,000 rupiah or
a little less than $5.00 US. Easy to take
and no problems except no AC. If arranging
with Resort their car cost to you is $26.00.
Departure fee at DPS is 100,000 paid in cash.
During my one night stay I did nothing
useful. Two 2 hour massage sessions at the
Bay Club within hotel. Rate was about $72
US first time and $58 US second time. I have
no idea why they gave me a 20% discount on
second round. Internet access is dial up
with two computers in business resort center.
Only one computer operating. Fee about $4
for 30 minutes. Pay extra for printing.
Laundry very reasonable but I will not detail
my bill. Did not want to carry beach shoes
so purchased at Resort shop. About $6. The
"new" Japanese restaurant is open and very
nice. I had the steak and seafood set called
Nampu. Enough for two and I was only one.
Total cost with non-alc. drinks $75. This
includes tax and service. Everything at the
Resort has a service fee, includes the beach
shoes. Resort was ok in my opinion. Pools
were nicely kept and clean. Resort looks a
bit dated. For the price a bargain. Oh
Muerz,Mr. Sarjano is gone with old rest..
The new one will not disappoint. Ask for Mr.
Tirta. Very good but speaks little english.
Now this report is going a little well so
time to send in the one big negative. I am
sleeping well when I hear these sounds coming
from beach. Construction is going on at
4:45 AM. Finally after an hour and the
finish of the World Cup re-broadcast of US
win I call front desk. They have no idea.
After three return calls from them to me they
state construction is for evening closing
event for UN something. I ask them if they
are crazy. I can not go to sleep so hence
my second massage session. My room, tax and
service were taken care of by Resort. Thank
you That is it. ? post and I will try to
answer. Regards
Old Aug 8, 2003, 5:34 am

Bali Hyatts

We stayed at both Hyatts in Bali, here our impressions:
GH Bali: Large rooms, but the standard rooms have terrible looking floor tiles. There was a big foreign minister meeting in the hotel at that time, so we got a room next to two rooms used as a secretariat for one of the countries with people sitting in front of it, like at a doctor's office, being loudly cleaned around 10 p.m. and sending faxes around 6 a.m..
GC was very nice and food and beverages good, but food repeated very often. Second room we got (pool view) was very nice.
Bali Hyatt: First room we had, had a big moisture problem, sometimes water was running down the walls. Next one still smelled moist, but was much better. RC was good with great and very personal service.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Hi peter42,

What did you think of where you were in Bali? Beach/water/snorkeling.

I'm interested in going with my wife. We're a little concerened about health conditions especially since we just found out she's pregnant. Plus terrorist worries....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.