Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2003, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
Although I haven't been there in 2 years, I liked the Caribe a great deal - so much that I went back twice during a six month timespan.

Both times I stayed in the Regency Club villas, and each time my back terrace was only steps away from the staircase leading down to the beach. Very quiet and very pretty.

My only area of concern was that some of the rooms were starting to look in need of renovation (e.g. cracked tile grout in around bathroom). Overall I found the place to be very clean and safe, and the staff very nice.

Others on the board have expressed dissatisfaction with this property. As I said, I haven't been there in two years.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
We also wanted to go to Cancun at one time but we still don't know which one to choose. Each property has its positive and negative points as it seems... Maybe you should try the JW Marriott instead, seems to be one of the best hotels in Cancun.

If anyone wants to write a review on one or both of them for the Hyatt Review Website; neither one has been reviewed yet!

Muerz

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu or at http://www.no-limits.lu/hyatt

[This message has been edited by Muerz (edited 01-07-2003).]
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:02 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Stayed at the Caribe in October. We were upgraded to a seaside bungalow. I thought the room was in excellent shape. I found out a little history as well. When Fonatur developed CUN, they had little luck getting anyone to build. So they built some seaside bungalows on spec. Those bungalows are now part of the Caribe. There is a huge (and I mean HUGE) difference between the bungalows and the newer villas. No club, so we were offered 1/2 off the buffet breakfast, but had to get the bill corrected at the end of the stay.

I stayed at the Caribe because of Diamond status. I'm also Hilton Gold, and am glad I didn't stay at the newer Hilton. Like the Westin, it's MUCH bigger, seemed to be designed for groups and meetings. While the main building at the Caribe is big, it's nowhere near as large. And since you'll be upgraded to a villa (don't take the bungalow), the size of the property isn't really a concern. I'd go back to the Caribe, if I were you I'd prefer it over the Westin.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:05 pm

Back from Cancun, and I'm somewhat disappointed.

The Good:
The rate (free for three nights w/FFN).
The RC Lounge (free breakfast, free appetizers, free booze).
The wine and fruit amenity.
The free room service o.j. one morning.

The Bad:
No Villa upgrade. At check-in, I was asked whether I preferred a high floor or a low floor. A polite inquiry regarding the availability of a villa resulted in the front desk clerk disappearing into the back room for two minutes, and returning with an offer of a villa with two double beds. I passed, as I think she knew that I would.
I was then told that I was getting a wonderful room with an ocean view. (Uh, they all have ocean views.) We were then assigned to what appeared to be a standard king room. Not bad, but not what I was hoping for, especially since the hotel did not appear to be anywhere near full.
Oh, and why did I have to wait for a standard King room to be cleaned at 3:00 p.m.?

Other Bad:
Air Conditioning. Could not keep the room cool enough, even with the shades drawn.
The towel guy. Was rude to my wife more than once.
The people selling tours who assault you every time you walk down the hall on the main floor.

Would I return? Only with a spectacular rate and/or FFN about to expire.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 2:53 am

Programs: LH Sen, IC Spire Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hyatt Cancun Diamond Amneties?

Hi all,

I am planning to travel to Cancun in December. The "Hyatt Cancun Caribe Villas and Resort" looks really great on the website and I can get quite some good deals booking from Germany.

Did anyone stay there as a Diamond member and certify that the benefits were given as it should be? (Regency Room and Lounge Access).

Thanks in advance

Marc
Old Nov 23, 2003, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Lounge and a bottle of wine. I was there 2 months ago. Nothing special really
Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mach92:
Lounge and a bottle of wine. I was there 2 months ago. Nothing special really</font>
mach92 - Didn't they upgrade you to one of the villas? That was the procedure for Diamond members the last time we were there a couple of years ago, and I was planning to stop there again this December. Those villas are one of my favorite accomodations and if Diamonds no longer get the upgrade, I would be starting to think about staying elsewhere.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:20 am

Programs: HH Silver
I stayed at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe in late Jan.2003 as a Diamond member.It was by far the most enjoyable stay I've ever had at a resort hotel.What I had learned from another forum was to call the hotel directly about a week or less before arrival.I did so during the day on a weekday, asked about a beachfront villa,checked with someone ,was told yes.Now it wasn't very busy there & maybe it was a fluke but I was given a Villa suite.Amentity was a plate of fruit & bottle of wine.The free drinks & food at the Regency Club lounge in the evening was excellent,breakfast was rather simple.There is 2 for 1 meals card that includes the Hyatt's Blue Bayou restaurant.
http://cancunandrivieramaya.com/english01.htm
Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thank you very much, needathrill. I agree that those villas are among the most outstanding resort accomodations extant, and I will take the extra step of calling, as you suggested.
However, since I am leaving next Tuesday, I will not have time to receive the entertainment book on the link, and will need to pay full price at my favorite restaurants down there. I will admit that Blue Bayou is emphatically not one of those, it is just serviceable and convenient IMHO.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:53 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Cancun - 2 locations - comments?

I need to attend a seminar in Cancun soon (life is rough sometimes, eh?) and plan to earn some Gold Passport points. From the few comments I can find on this board, it appears that my Diamond status would be put to good use at the Caribe Villas and Resort. If due to conveninece and/or availability I need to stay at the Hyatt Regency Cancun, will that be a nice place as well?

Anyone have comments about either location?

MANY THANKS!

------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
We stayed at the Regency using FFN award and as a Platinum was upgraded to Regency Club. The hotel itself is nice, but has no beach at all as does the Caribe, if that matters to you. We did visit the Caribe (they have complimentary transportation) and it does look to be a bit nicer.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:07 am

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
Stayed at the Caribe a couple of years ago for 2 nights then fled as fast as possible to the Ritz. Hotel is very worn out and has a lot of the college crowd. Limbo contests at the pool etc. Had a villa for $300/night and it was large but not kept very clean. The final straw was on the third morning waking up to see cockroaches crawling across the floor. Packed up and left immediately for the Ritz down the street. Had a great time there for less money.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 1:14 pm

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
I know it isn't a Hyatt, but sounds like the Hyatts have problems...so...we just got back from the Cancun Hilton....GREAT stay. AND they have a great beach along with great pools.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:05 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I've pretty much made up my mind to stay at the Caribe because I have a bunch of Hyatt gift certificates that will expire soon. Also, I just need a couple thousand more Gold Passport points to get to the award level I want.

Wish me luck!

------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:24 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Hyatt Caribe is a great choice in Cancun.When I stayed there the Regency Club in the evenings had a great spread of food & free drinks.Very well kept grounds & a wonderful staff.The villas are a bit worn but very nicely furnished & clean.Had a few maintence problems,requests that when brought to there attention someone was there each time within 15-30 minutes.There probably are a few spring breakers staying there by mistake this time of year.(It's way to QUIET & not geared at the Hyatt for them!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.