Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 10, 2002, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Absolutely unbelievable. I had just the opposite experience from HKG_Flyer1 a couple of months ago. As a Diamond, I was treated like a really special person and given a wonderful villa room right on the beach. I have been to Cancun a half dozen times and the room itself was up to the standard of all but the very newest and most expensive places and I don't recall any more package tour people there than at any other resort.
I do remember that the restaurant was only fair for dinner, but the breakfast, lunch, and cocktail service was certainly up to snuff. I actually think that I prefer this hotel to any that I have been to in Cancun when considering the price paid for the room in relation to the facilities and the service. I plan to return there in the not too distant future.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 2:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by monitor:
Absolutely unbelievable. I had just the opposite experience from HKG_Flyer1 a couple of months ago. As a Diamond, I was treated like a really special person and given a wonderful villa room right on the beach. I have been to Cancun a half dozen times and the room itself was up to the standard of all but the very newest and most expensive places and I don't recall any more package tour people there than at any other resort.
I do remember that the restaurant was only fair for dinner, but the breakfast, lunch, and cocktail service was certainly up to snuff. I actually think that I prefer this hotel to any that I have been to in Cancun when considering the price paid for the room in relation to the facilities and the service. I plan to return there in the not too distant future.
</font>
Hi Monitor,
I assume you were at the Cancun Caribe and not the Regency?
Old Jan 10, 2002, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I guess one of the good things about this board is the ability to solicit different opinions. To elaborate on my experience, I was paying something like $130 + tax/night in the off-season (early Sept).

Upon reflection, it wasn't that the property was horrible, I suppose. However it is one of the older properties in Cancun (I confirmed this fact with one of the hotel employees). The next day, I checked expedia.com and found several other newer properties which I decided to investigate. Several seemed to offer much better value at the same price.

Ultimately, I was able to secure a fantastic room at the Ritz Carlton for a few bucks less. The Ritz has been rated as one of the best hotels in Latin America in one of the lists to which I pay attention (can't remember which).

Although this may not sound politically correct, I really had a hard time believing that some of the guests I witnessed at the Hyatt were paying anything close to my rate.

My experience may have been somewhat biased in that I didn't pay for my stay as part of a package. Making my reservation the day before, this property was actually one of the most expensive. (In Acapulco, most of the hotels seem pretty mediocre, and the Hyatt there is probably one of the best, in spite of its condition.)

Also, I was given a small room in a 2nd floor walk-up with only a partial ocean view. To get to either the beach or the regular pool took a bit of a walk. The bathroom was small and old-fashioned.

As indicated by monitor staff were extremely friendly and professional.

I went to the Hyatt website and confirmed that I was indeed at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe. However, the photographs of the rooms and descriptions seem to be of different accomodation than I received. Indeed, if I had been upgraded to one of the Regency Club villas, I probably would have stayed.

Rather than ask the next day if they had a better room with a view, newer furnishings, Regency Club access, etc., I just decided to bolt. (I figured if I was going to have to repack, I might as well get the best deal possible.)
Old Jan 11, 2002, 1:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HKG_Flyer1:
Ultimately, I was able to secure a fantastic room at the Ritz Carlton for a few bucks less. The Ritz has been rated as one of the best hotels in Latin America in one of the lists to which I pay attention (can't remember which).

Although this may not sound politically correct, I really had a hard time believing that some of the guests I witnessed at the Hyatt were paying anything close to my rate.
</font>
Well, it might be a case of I'll get what I pay (if I end up at this hyatt). Looks like a Ritz standard room is more than twice the rate that I was able to secure for a room at the Cancun Caribe. I'm wondering if the Cancun Caribe's upgraded room is a little/much better over Caribe's standard rooms.

[This message has been edited by kishna (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old Jan 11, 2002, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
My wife and I stayed at the Cancun Regency Christmas-New Years 2001 and it was horrible. The worst Hyatt stay I've ever had in terms of the property and the service. I wrote to Hyatt immediately afterward and finally received a full refund for the stay, plus an offer to stay at the property again for six nights at no charge (which I'll never use).

I've heard that the Caribe isn't much better, but have no experience at this property. I can tell you that the staffs seem to wrk at both properties-a half day here and a half day there. We called for fresh towels one evening and was told that the housekeeping person was at the Caribe and would be back in an hour. Two hours later, we still had no towels! When I confronted the GM the next morning, HE told me that they split their time between the two properties. If and when we return to Cancun, we will DEFINITELY NOT stay at one of the Hyatt properties.

[This message has been edited by romadaro (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old Jan 12, 2002, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
I haven't stayed at the Caribe since 5/2000, so maybe things have changed. I've been there twice, both times in the Regency Club suites and I was very happy. However, I do agree that the rooms do look a little tired - it is definately time for a renovation. I found the staff very helpful and attentive, but I don't know if this is throughout the property or only the the Regency Club area.

What I remember most was that three steps off my terrace was a flight of stairs going down to the beach. It was perfect.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 7:46 am

Programs: US Airways CP, Starwood Gold
Hyatt Regency Cancun

I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Cancun April 7-10. As a Hyatt Diamond, will this resort property upgrade me to the Regency floor? Has anyone who is Diamond had experience with this property.

If they don't upgrade me or provide Regency Club access, is it worth upgrading?

------------------
US Airways gold,Starwood gold
HHonors gold,
Hyatt diamond
Old Mar 28, 2002, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not stayed at the HR as a Diamond, only a few years ago off the street and did not like it at all, for reasons that you can dig up by using the search function.
However, last fall we stayed at the Cancun Caribe as Diamond members and were treated extremely well. We were upgraded to a beachfront villa and, since the RC was closed that week, were given breakfast coupons for the restaurant and drink coupons for use with the PM hors d'ouevres at the bar.
The beachfront villas, though a bit dated, are in our opinion the best rooms we have ever had in CUN, having stayed at more than a half dozen hotels down there.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat
New Diamond @ Hyatt Regency Cancun

Just made Diamond level - have not received my card yet. I've got a upcoming reward stay at the Hyatt Regency (not Caribe). I've never been to this property - has anyone been there recently? Any perks for Diamonds? What should I expect there?
Old Jun 10, 2002, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't been to the HR Cancun in years because there is not much of a beach there and the pool loses the sun midafternoon to the shadow of the Krystal next door.
Our taste runs to the Cancun Caribe. Diamond members get casitas on the beach and although the rooms are not very modern, they are serviceable and have great balconies looking out over the water. If the RC is closed, as it frequently is, you will get breakfast coupons and also evening drink coupons.
One warning - The restaurant at the Caribe is not much good for dinner, so if you do end up staying there, be prepared to go elsewhere.
Do a search on this board for more information.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:14 am

Good location...good rooms...pools are great...nobody has a beach in Cancun..check on RC, you could be in luck..
Old Jun 11, 2002, 1:51 pm

Location: Meerbusch, Germany, Amex Centurion, SPG Plat, LH FTL,, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Nobody has a beach in Cancun?? Pardon??? What about the Ritz, for example... It HAS a beach.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 7:43 pm

Cancun -- The Final Word?

I've read every thread, both here and in the archives, discussing the two Hyatt properties in Cancun. The consensus is that the Hyatt Regency stinks. But there seems to be a great deal of disagreement on the Caribe.

I've currently got a reservation at the Westin (I'm an SPG Plat.) for three nights at $137/night. I can do the Caribe for $110 for the first night, and FFN for the other two nights. I'm a Hyatt Diamond, so some type of upgrade and RC access should be available.

$$ are important, but a nice anniversary trip is important too. Should I risk the Caribe (saving $300) or stick with the Westin?
Old Dec 31, 2002, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For your anniversary, hardly anything could be more romantic than one of the seaside villa rooms at the Cancun Caribe, which you should get on a Diamond upgrade, especially during a slow week in January. The beach is quite pleasant and the very large, multi-sectioned pool is also a winner. I will warn you that the restaurant is not very good and you should be looking elsewhere for dinner. The breakfasts are OK, with very good service, and you will get a breakfast coupon if the RC is not open (as it occasionally is not).
The Westin Regina, on the other hand, is fairly workmanlike and has no rooms that I would call outstanding. The pools are not spectacular, and if I recall, one of them loses the sun in the PM, and we did not find the beach very appealing (I don't remember why). However, it does have a quite nice Royal Beach Club lounge, the restaurant is quite OK, and it is far, far away from the downtown tumult.
Happy anniversary.

Old Jan 1, 2003, 7:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum
We stayed at the Westin Regina 3 years ago and were very pleased. Breakfast and evening hors d'ouevres on the balcony at the Royal Beach Club was very enjoyable. We've stayed at many other Cancun hotels since and except for the Ritz Carlton, thought the Westin was superior.

The only negative is that it is a longer bus ride into town, as it is located at the far end of the hotel zone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.