Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt St. Louis REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (MARRIOTT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2000, 3:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Anyone stayed here?

It appears to be the most expensive hotel in town. (more than RC!!!)
Old Sep 5, 2000, 10:46 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I assume you are mean the Hyatt Regency at Union Station. The Regency Club is in the old restored part of the station and is very nice. The regular rooms are in a new building under the train shed and are pretty generic. The public spaces are great.
Old Sep 6, 2000, 1:43 am

If your business is in downtown St.Louis or if you are going to the Busch stadium, I would think Hyatt Regency on Union Station is the best choice unless you must have a 'river view'.
I stayed at the Regency club last June and as TRD says, it was in the old restored part of the station; in fact the bellboy said those rooms used to be the actual transit hotel rooms. At the end of the long hallway, there is an area where breakfast is served but its so dark and not much of 'old charm'
can be felt. At least the room has a very high ceiling. I saw the new section under the train shed that surrounds a swimming pool. But the public area looks much like a mini-suburban mall and coming from NYC, I just could not stand it.

Ritz Carlton is located outside downtown in an area called Clayton where the grass is definitely greener, and some say its the best deal R C in USA. I lammented having not chosen to stay at the R C despite my GP Diamond status.

BTW, would some creative urban planner do anything about downtown St. Louis?? I know the river Missippi can not be turned into the Thames....Otherwise, i don't want anyone to Meet me in St. Louis... I just hate to see such a sorry state of downtown.....

[This message has been edited by Kaoru Kanetaka (edited 09-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kaoru Kanetaka (edited 09-06-2000).]
Old Sep 7, 2000, 10:55 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I concur that it is the best place to stay in the area, IMHO!
Old Sep 8, 2000, 11:03 pm

I loved the lobby/lounge area, which is the old Union Station waiting area. If you have time (or if you're a train fan) read the little factoids all over the lobby and train shed area. Make sure you check out the sound anomaly in the archway of the front entrance (it's explained on a display inside the entrance). There used to be a 'Great Train Store' in the mall area, and I thought it was neat to be able to hear the store's train whistle (faintly) from the hallway of the Regency Club section (the old station hotel). The rooms were very nice and the staff was (for the most part) very helpful and friendly (especially in the lounge area). There were more than a few clueless people at the front desk, however, including the wonderful people who thought I had checked out and de-activated my room key.

If it's any indication of quality, there was a visiting baseball team in the hotel (playing the Cardinals) on my last visit.

This is certainly much nicer than the 'generic' Marriott Pavilion.

Check out http://www.hyattstlouis.com
for more information.

[This message has been edited by PointJunkie (edited 09-08-2000).]
Old Sep 9, 2000, 4:26 pm
T3

I've really like the Hyatt Regency at Union Station and would certainly recommend it, especially the Regency Club.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 1:00 pm

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
St. Louis Hyatt

anyone stay here recently with a report of what the facility is like?

I was here several years ago and cannot remember what the property was like.

------------------
Never put off till tomorrow the flight you can take today.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 9:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I was there about a year ago. The hotel is part of the renovated Union Station. Regular rooms are in a new structure while RC rooms are in the historic hotel part. I stayed in a RC room. Room was ok but had nice character. Breakfast and evening snack in the RC is an atrium like part of the old hotel.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 9:24 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes!

I like this place very much though the rooms are not special by any means and it's a good tourist location too! Lots of shopping in the attached mall with some quality stores for those so inclined. There's also a very nice lobby! Many prefer the older historic section as well. Personal choice of course dictates which you'd like.
Old Jan 18, 2002, 7:23 am
Original Poster

I lived in this hotel for about a month a year ago. It's got a great lobby and public areas. Rooms are indeed nothing special, although the RC rooms are kind of neat. Nice location for shopping.

I've not been to the new Westin, but FWIW, the Ritz in Clayton is FAR SUPERIOR to all other St. Louis hotels.
Old Jan 18, 2002, 11:52 am
Original Member

I agree. I've logged almost 200 nights at the St. Louis Hyatt, and only one at the Ritz. While the Hyatt has a lot of character, the service and facilities at the Ritz were very impressive.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 8:48 am

I arrived at this hotel on the evening of September 10. I knew no one in St Louis except the client I was to meet the next day. Needless to say, that meeting never happened.

With no air service for the next 4 days, and with no rental cars available, I was kind of stuck and my one night stay turned into three nights. I left via Greyhound, which is another story entirely.

I was granted RC access as a diamond, but not on RC floor; and no suite upgrade. There were "none available", which was mysterious because at times I felt like the only person in the hotel.

Room service was very slow. Most of the ice machines were non-functional. Housekeeping was quite efficient, though.

Staff on site was pleasant, especially given the circumstances that transpired, and continued to guarantee my room for as long or as short a time as needed.

While the hotel is beautiful, I would struggle to draw any kind of comparison between this property and a Ritz. This hotel, while aesthetically stunning, doesn't offer this level of service. I'd put the service aspect on the level of a Holiday Inn Select....friendly, reasonable value for dollar paid, but nothing that stood out as exceptional.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 5:04 pm
Original Member

There's only a couple of suites in the hotel, and they are extremely hard to get. As mentioned before, I had 200 nights and got a suite once. That said, it's a shame you weren't able to get into an RC room, of which many are large and unique. Some of them are truly fantastic. My "room" for a year was the one facing Market with the 20 foot ceilings, stained glass windows and period furniture. Exquisite.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:22 am

St. Louis HR- Comments?

I did a search and couldn't find any past posts. I usually stay at the Westin, but may use points for a night in April. Any thoughts on this property?
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:51 pm

I have stayed at this HR many times and like many aspects of it. It is a very nicely renovated train station (aka HR Union Station) with a fantastic main hall where the bar is (one of the greatest indoor drinking views of all time, IMHO). Adjoining the HR is an extensive mall with many restaurant options (where the trains used to be). If you can (with status or $$) try to stay in one of the rooms in the main building, as opposed to those across the walkway near the mall!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.