Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Junior Suite Photos - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay

Here's some photos of a Junior Suite from a stay at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay during the Fall of 2007.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lswcih/...7603816202575/
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:39 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by lswcih
Here's some photos of a Junior Suite from a stay at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay during the Fall of 2007.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lswcih/...7603816202575/
Great job on the pics ^
I have to say it makes the way overpriced Manchester rooms look like an old Holiday Inn.I doubt I will ever return to the Manchester after so many years of staying there and never once getting upgraded to a suite even when it was slow
Though I admired and appreciated many a team member at this property.
I wish many of them well as they were in all fairness fantastic to me in all other regards

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 30, 2008 at 2:10 pm
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by wilma
I stayed at Hyatt islandia last week. The Regency club & the pools were closed. They said they close the RC when it's slow. The room on the 36rd floor I had was renovated very nicely and had a fantastic view. It was disappointing not to have the RC open, the breakfast provided in the restaurant was pretty lame--fruit cups, cereal, or baked goods.
The Red Marlin is the current substitute for the closed RC. It is a great deal.

I recommend any Diamond to go there for the great $169 rate + 2K bonus points (plus 1K amenity for DIA). As of now, the RC is still closed so you get a certificate for the Red Marlin for breakfast. I wound up w/ 2 entrees ($14 each) and OJ using the certs. The best breakfast by far and a decent price to boot. The renovations are definitely nice, as other posters have mentioned.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:05 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
The Red Marlin is the current substitute for the closed RC. It is a great deal.

I recommend any Diamond to go there for the great $169 rate + 2K bonus points (plus 1K amenity for DIA). As of now, the RC is still closed so you get a certificate for the Red Marlin for breakfast. I wound up w/ 2 entrees ($14 each) and OJ using the certs. The best breakfast by far and a decent price to boot. The renovations are definitely nice, as other posters have mentioned.
I am sorry I slept past breakfast
Thank you for sharing your positive experience
I fully agree this is the Hyatt of choice in the San Diego area especially with the promotion.Be aware there is also a G bonus going on as well if I understand correctly but not good on Friday or Saturday.That could mean 4000 points per stay weekdays for a Diamond member plus any other ongoing bonuses and revenue points earned during the stay
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Just did 1 FFN here (extension to 2/29 granted after they saw my husband's constant Hyatt travel last month, with no obvious time to enjoy those FFN's), were given a Jr. Suite #1619 & decided to stay another. Called down to the desk and 'they were delighted' to extend our stay.

Great room and RC was generally excellent. Some staff much better than others - a more mature woman who had opened Maui was just great and so friendly. Very good breakfast - best pineapple I've had in ages and the banana nut muffins were incredible. Just did the evening snacks as dinner one night they were so generous. A caprese type salad was very good and California roll type sushi nice. I don't remember any hot items, but a nice selection of cold appetizers, olives, cheeses, usually a pasta salad, etc. Desserts were ok - especially the cookies!! Food always seemed to be left out after officially posted hours, but I did hear one woman complain that it had been taken away too early one night of her stay.

Honor Bar - found the chits in my bag when I got home - oops.

Did not use any other facilities, but I heard some teens were having fun in the pool cabana or room.

I, too, loved the ease and zero expense of parking.

Would return in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:27 pm

breakfast cost?

Does anyone remember how much the breakfast cost? I am debating whether I should book the business plan for $20 more which includes continental breakfast.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by neuro0
Does anyone remember how much the breakfast cost? I am debating whether I should book the business plan for $20 more which includes continental breakfast.
The breakfast costs at the Red Marlin vary if you take the breakfast buffet it is right around $20, other items are less. When we stayed there on the AAA Breakfast rate it included two adult entrees, drinks and gratuity, not sure if the business plan is the same but it was on the same daily voucher as the AAA deal.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by azepine00
The rate description suggests that the offer is in fact 2000 pt per NIGHT:

Rate Description:
2000 Bonus Gold Passport Pts:50united States Dollars Hotel Credit Per Stay (Not Valid Toward Room or Tax) - $50 Hotel Credit Per Stay - Hotel Credit Not Valid Toward Room or Tax - 2,000 Gold Passport Bonus Points Per Night

Cancellation Policy:
Cancel 4pm PST 72 Hours Prior To Arrival

I took a screenshot just in case but has anyone stayed there on this rate?
When they first sent that out a couple of weeks ago it stated $50/2000pts NT. I made a reservation for two nights last week and the confirmation email I received showed it as NT, not stay. I then tried to extend the reservation for two more nights but by then it had been changed to $50/2000pts per stay, not NT. I kept my original reservation for the two nights and we stayed there last week. They gave me a $100 credit on my bill for the two nights I stayed there, I don't believe the 4000 bonus points have posted to my account yet though.

Nice place since the remodel. Our kids really enjoyed the pools and waterslides and they gave us a very nice Corner King room which is actually like a mini suite with a king bed in a separate area with some sheer curtains separating it from the main area. 2 LCD tv's, one in each room, and a nicely upgraded bathroom. Very nice staff also.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:36 pm

Staying here over the 4th of July. What is the upgrade most diamonds are receiving? Is there any free over night parking with in a mile walk? Do they have any transportation to Mission Beach and the board walk?

Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by bbbb
Staying here over the 4th of July. What is the upgrade most diamonds are receiving? Is there any free over night parking with in a mile walk? Do they have any transportation to Mission Beach and the board walk?

Thanks
For the upgrade, I got the same upgrade described in this previous post and thought it was quite nice, so I'd hazard to say that it is typical, but wouldn't count on it.

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
... they gave us a very nice Corner King room which is actually like a mini suite with a king bed in a separate area with some sheer curtains separating it from the main area. 2 LCD tv's, one in each room, and a nicely upgraded bathroom. Very nice staff also.
As for parking, I don't remember if the hotel actually charged me for the parking in their ample lot -- there didn't seem to be a requirement to display anything and I certainly didn't ask them to charge me. If you did want to walk there is a large public lot over the bridge towards Mission Beach that I would expect would not charge for overnight parking; however, there may be a limit on the number of daylight hours.

Other than the RC being a little small and at times crowded I was very happy with the property.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:12 pm

Checked in late last night and was upgraded to a Corner Suite as has been reported. I think the night auditor checked me in and was clue less to say the least. I asked about RC access and was told that I had not booked a RC room. I asked about my diamond amenity and again no clue. Every thing was fixed this morning. For some reason this hotel has to give you two keys if you have RC access and you are not on the RC floor? The remodel went well but $65 million does not go far when you get down to furniture. All in all a nice hotel but there is going to be a lot of training that needs to be done to get the employee's on the same page. I also noticed that most employee's you pass around the hotel don't look happy and usually won't say hi. All of the free parking around the hotel and at the beach is posted no parking from 2am to 4am.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:13 am

staying at this hotel right now. We got an upgrade to the suite building facing the marina and having two rooms. The underground parking elevator could only be called using a card key and was not working for me and other people. Very inconvenient especially when you are moving your luggage. The problem was fixed however once front desk was notified. RC lounge has nice views over the bay/ocean. Food is OK, but nothing special, or warm for that matter. Best feature is the pool with the slides open 10-6t. But during our stay we noticed that lifeguards leave earlier and they come up with various explanations for closing down earlier, such as "beehive activity". Parking is 18$, but if you say you have no car you should not be charged. The ocean and the beach is 1 mile away over the bridge. Next to the suite building is a a fish restaurant, that has exceptional value and quality of fish.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Did a last minute point stay here last weekend. Got a mini- mini-suite. Not the one with 2 TV's & Living Room we've gotten before. One with a sheer curtain between bed area & those funky oval desks they have sitting out in the middle of the mini-room. Not complaining, as on 12K points & got RC.

Only complaint is that the pool was a filthy zoo. They really needs pool boys/girls, other than the one young lady handing out towels. Took us forever to find 2 chaises, then we still had someone between us, who was gracious enough to trade. Saw chaises being held for hours, with no one returning to them, while families wandered trying to even find one. This really needs to be overseen better. Saw people get up & leave & leave their towels on the chaises, so people thought they were still taken. Food wrappers & left items & junk all over the pool deck - really too bad, as it could be quite nice.

My 17 year old daughter's comment - "they need an adult pool here..." I totally agreed
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:45 am

Programs: Hyatt, *wood, DL, UA, the Anywhere pass
I stayed at the Hyatt Mission Bay recently on a Sunday night.

Check-in was quick and efficient, maybe too efficient. I'd forgotten that I'd booked the GP R3 code (through 11/30) that offers a suite upgrade if available (no GP status yet for me). When I got to my regular ol' room with a regular ol' view, I remembered the promotion and went back to reception to inquire whether I was already in a suite or not (don't laugh...okay, you can laugh).

Suite!
I asked if it was worth it to change to the king corner suite and the lady at the front desk said yes, so I did. Bigger room, separate living area, better views. There were two TVs...which of course I tuned to two different channels so I could run back and forth and watch two programs at once. What a workout! The room was spacious yet the bedroom area felt cozy and comfortable.

Nice night views
I did not see this property during daylight, so I'm probably not the best judge of the pool and the property. However, from my balcony I had a nice nighttime view of the yachts in the harbor. The marina had a cool, quiet and moody feel to it; the courtyard was pretty with well-illuminated landscaping.

Bar
The bar by the pool was bright and welcoming and had a few guests in it. If I hadn't exhausted myself from the double-tv-watching workout , I would have stopped for a beverage and felt totally comfortable being there by myself. Maybe other females can appreciate this, too.

A few minor issues
The carpet at the entry way in my room had weird stains--it looked like five fountain pens had exploded. The lighting was very dim in the room. And there was no coffee maker nor coffee which I found strange. Beyond that, the room was very nice and I enjoyed my brief stay.

Parking
As mentioned by bbbb, the street signs say "No parking 2 am-4 am" and there doesn't appear to be any other place nearby/off-property to park overnight. If you pay the Hyatt parking fee, I think they give you a permit to hang from your mirror.

Additional breakfast options
At check-in I was told that Einstein's, located a few yards down at the marina, had coffee and breakfast that could be charged to the room. However, I had to leave early, early morning and they were not yet open.

I'd stay at the Hyatt Mission Bay again (preferably in a suite!)
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:17 am

Just stayed here a bad experence, room had sawage problems a suite, but not much of a suite took two days to get sorted, staff could not care less, can not belive they spent this kind of money on renovation, with out up grading the staff, do they train staff, it was horrble. I was tied from jet lag and travel with young baby,I tried to complin but did not have the emotional energy, I ended just moving on, but I say staff and management here have major problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.