Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Old Nov 5, 2003, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I noted to start this thread, that uncompetitive rate of S$225 was why I went to the FS instead. If you need this stay for status, grin and bear it, otherwise there are lots of better values available in Singapore.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:
As I noted to start this thread, that uncompetitive rate of S$225 was why I went to the FS instead. If you need this stay for status, grin and bear it, otherwise there are lots of better values available in Singapore.</font>

Uncompetitive it is indeed! I'm going to stay in SIN end of this month, all other hotels are much less than S$225.... Conrad is S$144, IC is S$134......

Hopefully I get to see the new Grand Club rooms.....
Old Mar 4, 2004, 5:03 am
Uli

Hyatt SIN with new clubfloor

hi,

i received a letter on checkin that the new clubfloor is opened now. i am not sure if this is really old news or not.
actually, the food between 6pm to 8pm is superb, nice wine selection, huge red wine glasses and free wireless LAN. plus very comfortable seating and choice between coke and pepsi

sidenote, i booked a standard room and was upgraded to a junior suite on check-in, i am hyatt diamond. they said this is because "deluxe rooms are sold out so they HAD TO upgrade me to the suite" -- thanks to all who booked those deluxe rooms
Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:34 am
Uli

what did you ask them for?

they offer free food between 6 and 8pm. i found it very nice that at 8:15pm before they started removing the food they went to each table and everybody that they will remove the food soon and if asked if anyone was still hungry.
also they were knowledgeable about the wireless LAN, guided me to the table and removed empty plates and glasses from the tables within seconds.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Uli:
sidenote, i booked a standard room and was upgraded to a junior suite on check-in, i am hyatt diamond. they said this is because "deluxe rooms are sold out so they HAD TO upgrade me to the suite" -- thanks to all who booked those deluxe rooms </font>
The Jr Suite or 'Grand Room' is a pretty a standard upgrade for Diamonds. The hotel has a bunch of them. I've been upgraded to one of these rooms on my last 4 or 5 stays there.

Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:24 am

Programs: UA AA HGP SPG HH
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IK in Seattle:
The Jr Suite or 'Grand Room' is a pretty a standard upgrade for Diamonds. The hotel has a bunch of them. I've been upgraded to one of these rooms on my last 4 or 5 stays there.
</font>
I just check-in at this location and was put into a terrance wing room. I went into an internet Cafe and found there are Grand Room, Grand Club Room.(Non-smoking, 1 King bed as I specificed in my FFN request. So it can not be the excuse.)

1K in Seattle, may I ask you what's your ethnic background? I had heard complian about differential treatment of both Hilton Singapore hotels in the Hilton forum. I am not sure if I am facing the same situation. But I had already send an e-mail to Goldpassport and Julia both.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I checked in Grand Hyatt Singapore at about 12:30pm local time. I was given a King, Non-smoking, Terrance Wing room #xxxx. I was also given access to the Grand Club lounge.

Not knowing the room inventory situation, I went to the room and drop my luggage. I then went to local internet cafe. For the duration of my stay, there are Grand room, Grand club room, even a suite aviliable, and matched my smoking and bedding perfernce. That was about 1:30pm local time.

I printout the term and condition and the room aviliablity pages and went back to the reception desk.

There excuse for not upgrade me to Grand Club room is that

1) The have set asided limited number of upgrade for Diamond member on FFN/Points Award stay.

2) They had already alotted all those upgrades to others. There are no possibility of moving me into a Grand Club Room at later date, as they are already assign to other Diamonds who are not check-in yet.

3) That they already gave me access to Grand Club lounge, which should be good enough or the best they can do.

My understanding of their behavior seems there are two violation of Hyatt Gold Passport's term and condition.

1) I understand that all Hyatt's have limited number of room inventory for FFN or GP point award stay. So even if there are room aviliable for sale, they may be no award aviliablity. However, once an award is issued, the upgrade depends solely depends on room inventory at check-in.

2) Even if the hotels are allowed to limited number of Grand Club Rooms for Diamond member, the terms and condition of Goldpassport is still "based on availability at check-in." By GH Singapore front desk's own admission. There were grand club room open when I checked in. and more will become open up during my stay. But they won't upgrade me became they "already assigned to other Diamonds who will be arriving."(Not exact quote, but that the gist of what they said.)

I just check the Goldpassport terms and conditions again, and I don't see any amendment that allows hotels to pick and choose which Diamond member to upgrade. It's still "based on availability at check-in."

I got tired of fighting over whose understanding of Hyatt GP T&C is correct. Plus I was drowning in sweat. I retreat back to my room, and took a bath. Now I am refreshed, I would like to ask you whose understanding of GoldPassport T&C is correct. After all, I expect you to know more than me or the hotel.

(SNIPPING PERSONAL Information)

</font>
Edited to take out my room number

[This message has been edited by SFOLIS (edited Mar 06, 2004).]
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:51 am

I've stayed at this property 3-4 times in the past year and have to concur that they are not particularly great about Diamond upgrades. I have never been upgraded to their jr suite on the club floor, but have always been given access to the club lounge.

Typically, before they started closing grand wing floors for renovation, they'd put me in a nice jr suite on a regular floor. Once, I got a very spacious suite, but I think that was a fluke, as the room was due to be taken out of inventory for renovation right after my stay.

For my most recent stay last Dec, they claimed that all or most of the grand wing rooms are under renovation, and I was given an awful Terrace wing room. After talking to management upon check-in and the morning after, I was still stuck with the tiny room. I would not return until the grand wing renovation is complete.

If they are still so stingy and difficult with Diamond upgrades post renovation, that's not encouraging at all.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:16 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Part of it is the simple fact that you are in Singapore and rules are rules. If the rules aren't clear then they will be interpreted to suit the company and NOT the customer

There are as many people who have complained about this hotel as there those who have praised it.
I have only had one good experience as a Diamond there, but luckily it was when I had my family with me. Then, I found the Club floor people couldn't help me more.

There is something obviously wrong with the front desk if this keep happening.
I have friends checking in for a week who are expecting marvelous things. I will report back if they have any hassles.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 3:13 pm
Uli

i have just checked in today again:

upgrade to the junior suite or grand room (actually two rooms) came again, rate was SIN-$ 190.
very good service, perfect hotel.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:43 pm

I checked in at this hotel on Mar 6. I am a Diamond member. I was given a room in the Terrance Wing. No upgarde to the Grand room. The duty manger told me that Grand rooms were fully booked. I am going back on 3-11 and asked the manager to upgarde me to a Grand room. He said that he can not do it several days in advance and ask me to call that morning before check in. Let see if I can get upgrade this time.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AshleyF:
Part of it is the simple fact that you are in Singapore and rules are rules. If the rules aren't clear then they will be interpreted to suit the company and NOT the customer
</font>
The rules for Diamond upgrade seems pretty clear to me. I can not find link to FFN T&C on Goldpassport website to see if there are any language exlcuding Diamond upgrade. In fact, the staff's statement to me implies they do upgrade a select group of Diamond members(of their choosing) on award. Just not "based on availability at check-in."

When I read about the people with postive experience, I am happy for them. But I felt a need to add my experience, so people have more data points, especially if they are consider this location for award redemption.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 2:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by augmax18:
I checked in at this hotel on Mar 6. I am a Diamond member. I was given a room in the Terrance Wing. No upgarde to the Grand room. The duty manger told me that Grand rooms were fully booked. I am going back on 3-11 and asked the manager to upgarde me to a Grand room. He said that he can not do it several days in advance and ask me to call that morning before check in. Let see if I can get upgrade this time.</font>
I would recommend use one of many internet cafe before you go for the check-in. Bring a print-out with you just in-case. After all, when I checked on March 6th check-in, they were still selling Grand Room, Grand Club Room, and Deluxe Suite(Which I didn't ask for)according to Goldpassport Website.

I feel better knowing that I am not the only Diamond member they shafted that day.

Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:41 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I have stayed off and on at this property since for about ten years now. Every time but onve I received an upgrade to the Grand rooms a.k.a. junior suites. And they really qualify as junior suites.

The only time I did not was when I used to points to do a confirmed upgrade, called ahead, and was iven the next llevel up which had a much larger parlor.

Just about everywhere in Singapore people are "stiff" compared to the rest of Asia. I find this property to have an attitude consistent with the other four and five star properties in SIN.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:06 am
Uli

if you are calling them "stiff" about upgrade then you should try the grand hyatt taipeh. have been there 20+ times and never been upgrade more than they absolutely had to by the rules. even if the hotel is empty, they dont care.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Bathless Grand Room in Singapore

Arriving late on Monday, I took room 909 in the Grand Wing. Only the next morning did I notice that there was no bath. Lovely furnishing and a nice shower - but being English I want my bath!
Anyone else know how they allocate these rooms?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.