Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:19 pm

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Welcome Amenity?

I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt Singapore at least 10 times a year for the past three years...they invariably note when I sign-in that it's a pleasure to welcome me back so often; generally upgrade me to a Grand Suite or junior suite, and invite me to visit the Grand Club on the 20th floor. (Never been upgraded to the Grand Floor even when I asked, even though I'm a Diamond and have been since early 90's.

I have never been offered a Diamond Welcome Amenity and am wondering if that property would grant the request of offer me an amenity card selection. When I've mentioned it in Shanghai and Bangkok, supervisors were called over and discussed the matter in their native tongue, and then I was told that I've been "upgraded". I didn't want to pursue it any further, and felt petty, but for all the money I spend at Hyatt Hotels annually, if a Diamond Welcome Amenity is an earned perk with Diamond achievement, then I'd pursue it, since I do spend a lot of time in Singapore.

Thanks for any insights!

Craigg
Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:34 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
This is interesting,I like the Grand in SIN.I don't think they are to genourous with any type of upgrades though,since I am not a Diamond I guess I have no room to complain so I will settle for my 3 pieces of fruit on the table and upgrade with points.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:32 pm

I have never been give an amenity at any asian Hyatt-bangkok/Grand hyatt hk/Grand Bali/century tokyo/Osaka and Auckland.
In Singapore I have stayed there 10 times and once got a box of 9 hand made chcolates with 9 on the front so the next time I stayed I asked and they said
"oh didnt you get one ?" and took a box out of the cupboard next to the reception on the regency floor.
I also have never been given a room on regency level but always get a suite and access.
The chocs are ok but I wouldnt embarass myself by asking again.
I have ALWAYS got a welcome bottle of wine at every Australian Hyatt.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:47 pm

I’ve stayed at the GH Singapore a half dozen times. The one time I asked about an amenity I was told “you were upgraded to a Grand Room, that is your amenity”. Basically I don’t think the Asian Hotels give amenities, so I don’t bother to ask anymore. A couple of weeks ago when I was there, the small box of chocolates, a welcome/thanks for coming back letter and some GH Singapore Shoe Socks were waiting in the room. Nothing special, but I assumed this was the equivalent of an amenity in Asia.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 2:22 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IK in Seattle:
I’ve stayed at the GH Singapore a half dozen times. The one time I asked about an amenity I was told “you were upgraded to a Grand Room, that is your amenity”. Basically I don’t think the Asian Hotels give amenities, so I don’t bother to ask anymore. A couple of weeks ago when I was there, the small box of chocolates, a welcome/thanks for coming back letter and some GH Singapore Shoe Socks were waiting in the room. Nothing special, but I assumed this was the equivalent of an amenity in Asia. </font>
It is a company wide benefits, the difference between NA and all other regions is just, that you get a choice in NA and everwhere else the hotel decides on the amenity.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:24 am

I stayed last month and was given a small box of chocolates and upgraded to a jr suite on a non-club floor, but given access to the club lounge. I asked but was refused a jr suite on the club floor.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I was there last month, and while given access to the RC, had a room on a lower floor overlooking the next door hotels car park. I was given the box of chocolates in my room upon arrival, and when I returned from a late night out, found another box had been delivered. Strange thing though, while my 'welcome' letter clearly stated complimentary pressing of one garment, when I called to have something pressed, I was told 'there's an iron in your closet'-- which I then had to hunt around for (its in one of the draws)!.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:18 pm

I kind of wonder if those boxes of chocolates are a Diamond Amenity, or something they put in all of the 'Grand Rooms'.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:57 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IK in Seattle:
I kind of wonder if those boxes of chocolates are a Diamond Amenity, or something they put in all of the 'Grand Rooms'.</font>
No chocolate for me I get fruit in my Grand club room.They do refresh it daily.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:28 am
PN

Location: Australia - PPS Sol; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Plat; Amex Plat.
I have stayed over dozen times/year in the last 6 years or more in GH SIN and have been treated extremely nice there. From my long experience with GH singapore, if you paid a Grand Room/Junior suite and if you are a Diamond, they will upgrade you to a RC level Grand Room. I usually book myself in a RC level Grand Room and get upgraded to an Exec. Suite in the RC level. This nearly happens everytime I am in SIN. If they are really low on occupancy, they will even use the Grand room-non RC level price to upgrade me

PN
Old Feb 17, 2003, 1:27 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
We did not like the staff in the SIN RC to much, they were kind of snobbish.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 6:29 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Mmmmm not happy with GH SIN, as a Diamond, got and "extra large" room, but not a Grand room, no ammenities (chocolates, water, etc.) stayed at the Conrad SIN the next 2 nights and was VERY impressed. As a mid-tier Gold, upgraded to a Full Suite, fruit, chocolates, several bottles of water, etc. Wrote a letter, but just got the "sorry we weren't able to accomodate you blah blah".. With the superb service at the Conrad, I won't give the GH SIN a second chance.

See my stay report on the Hyatt Review Web Site.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 3:36 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Inconsistent is probably the best way to describe my stays at the Sin GH. I have NEVER managed to get a room on the Grand Floor - this is over a 4 year span and about a dozen stays as Diamond.
Yet it seems others have got that as the norm.
The InterContinetal charges less, the staff remember my name and it is a little closer to the freeway for those peak hour flights out of Changi.
Life is too short to put up with so-so service and since I don't need the extra stays or points I will avoid them from now on.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:10 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Hyatt Singapore

What a great piece of property. Fine staff too. My friend and I visited this past August, weary from an overnight flight from India. We made no reservations and walked into this beautiful hotel at 7am. We asked for a day room, and they said that they would charge about 175 US dollars and that day rooms are only available from 12pm - 6pm. I thanked them, and as I was about to turn around, they got my attention. They said they had a room ready, but that it would take about an hour to clean. They charged us 110 dollars and asked us WHEN we wanted to check out. Seeing how our flight to JFK only left SIN at 1130 that night, we said 800. They smiled and happily obliged. Here is the kicker, when they gave us our cards, they smiled and said that they had given us a deluxe room. I have never slept on such a comfortable bed. Great staff always smiling, accomodating, and a great property on 10 Scotts Road. No, I'm not a Hyatt club member or anything either...
Old Mar 22, 2003, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I agree that it's a nice hotel, but there are many varying opinions on this hotel on this forum.

Jamoldo is right that this hotel has EXCELLENT beds. The last time I stayed here, I too came in after a tiring journey (overland from BKK) and had one of the best sleeps I think I've ever had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.