Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 10:14 am

For a party of 3, I'd definitely just take a cab. IIRC, a cab is about $20-$22. I take the bus when I go there by myself since the bus leaves from the airport and drops off right next to the GH Taipai and is only ~$5, but it probably takes about twice as long since it drops off at several hotels along the way.
Old May 11, 2005, 10:56 am

BTW, you can just tell the cab driver you want to go to "101". Mine didn't know the Grand Hyatt but when I then said I wanted to go to Taipei 101 he understood immediately and took me there. The GH is right next to Taipei 101.
Old May 15, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Just came back from 4 nite biz trip at GH Taipei. Avg taxi is 1000 $NTD, which is about $33 and takes 30-40min. There is greyhound-style bus that charges 140 $NTD pp from the airport to GH Taipei, that stops first to 4 other hotels, but is 2x the time.

GH Taipei has become the hotel to stay in Taipei because Taipei 101 building-shopping megaplex (next door) is drawing the crowds and new restaurants there.

GH Grand Club has one of the best evening free dinner services, comparable in quality and selection to GH Hong Kong.

GH Taipei still charges for the high speed internet service in your room, and also the separate wireless internet access. But if you are staying with major corporate rate like Intel, the cost of in-room high speed internet service is waived. At least they are finally selectively waiving high speed internet charges, so next would be to waive it for Diamond members staying with free points.

Last edited by npei; May 15, 2005 at 8:39 pm
Old May 22, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Grand Hyatt Taipei report 5/22/2005

Preface: Use the last of our FFNs by taking my mother in law to TPE from Japan.

Rate: FFNs and Club King award booking.

Transportation: A long day so we got RT car service from TPE. 2700 TWD all in.

Check-in: A little complicated as it involved three total reservations. All worked ok. Both rooms on Club. Attempted to check-in downstairs. Sent to check-in on 22. Nice efficient ladies. Not offered Diamond amenity. Should I have gotten something? Always confuses me.

Perks: Upgrade. Works!

Room: The room is pretty standard Grand Hyatt Club. Not all rooms in the Hotel have been renovated. Soft tones with a sitting chair, great bed, frig that is not electronic and large closet. The bathroom is renovated but the shower stall and tub shows just how old the building actually is.

Communications: HSIA via wire. Rate was a little more than $20 USD maybe $22 USD.

Location: Well my wife and mother in law are Japanese so I sold them on this place by telling them about shopping at Taipei 101. The mega center is connected to the Hotel via a skybridge so no need to walk outside.

Closing: A nice Hotel. I am looking forward to trying the Lounge as good comments have been made about the spread. This evening we arrived late. The have beers, wine, bottled water and sodas which you can take back to your room. A couple of machines for hot drinks also. A assortment of chips and dips were laid out also. Regards from Taipei.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Check-in: A little complicated as it involved three total reservations. All worked ok. Both rooms on Club. Attempted to check-in downstairs. Sent to check-in on 22. Nice efficient ladies. Not offered Diamond amenity. Should I have gotten something? Always confuses me.
I stayed there several times last year. Each time I got a coupon for a free drink at the lobby bar as my Diamond Amenity. You probably should have received one.
Old May 23, 2005, 3:15 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The HSIA connection I paid $20 USD for has been off and on. They said one of the guests has a virus running thru the network.

The spread is ok. Better than Tokyo in terms of number of content. Less than Hong Kong in variety. Hong Kong is still the best.

This morning we walked to the metro and purchased a day pass. 150 TWD. A bargain. Also. You can buy a intl calling card at 7-11 or I believe Hi Life (spelling ?). Also a bargain.

The Grand Club staff has been very helpful in answering questions. We walked around this area and it certainly as has been reported undergone a new life. Many stores and restaurants. Looks to be short on night life. It is muggy. Regards from Taipei.
Old May 23, 2005, 5:35 am

You can use your intl phone card here. Upon exiting the elevator banks make a hard left and head towards the side exit. There are phones by the rest rooms. Facing the bank of phones use the phone on the far left. My calls to check my voice mail boxes were 4 TWD each.
Old May 23, 2005, 3:40 pm

I was not charged for yesterdays internet connection. All seems fine now.

The spread yesterday evening in the Lounge was substantial. Variety good. Almost rivaled Hong Kong.

The walls in the Hotel are very thin. Apparently the phone in the next room is set against a wall which makes sense. Problem is every time it rings you can hear it in hear. Started ringing at 4:00 AM this morning.
Old May 23, 2005, 6:47 pm

BTW. There is another 7-11 using the left side exit upon leaving the elevator banks. Look beyond the square when exiting the Hyatt. You will be offered a number of calling cards. I think the rack they had contained at least 50 different ones. I purchased the one from 7-11 which also contained the 7-11 emblem on the card. 200 TWD should get you by for up to 7 days at my spend rate so far.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm surprised that this has never been brought up, but most Asians, especially the Chinese, never stay at the grand hyatt in TPE.. reputedly the most haunted location in TPE... I know most travellers from HKG and SIN avoid this place whenever possible... for me, even though I'm not exactly superstitous, the decor with all the fung shui stuff including the octagon symbols don't exactly make me feel comfortable staying there...
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I wont stay here anymore as the level of service is poor and the main priority seems to be getting business travellers into that damm disco where they can be assured the hookers are of the highest quality

They charge for everything and the rooms are getting well worm

Howard Plaze or Crowne PLaza Rebar offer really nice service and value for money
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
We just spent 2 nights at the GH Taipei earlier this week.
I had 2 rooms reserved using Points. As a Diamond, we had one room upgraded to Grand Club level, other room was not. My brother using the other room was allowed to upgrade for about $40 US per night (which he chose to do).

Check-in for us was at the Club level. Our experience with service during our stay was excellent, but that was probably because we interacted only with club personnel.

As previously reported, food spread in the Club in the evening was excellent. We were also satsfied with the breakfast spread. Also, all Gold Passport members gets free continental breakfast (which can be taken as room service). You can upgrade to full buffet at restaurant for NT$400 (~$12).

Diamond amentity was a box of 16 small chocolate truffles - they were very good.

Our room on the 20th floor was pleasant and did not appear worn at all as Steve had experienced. Right before the Hyatt stay, we spent 2 nights at the Westin on the executive floor thanks to my brother (traded 2 Hyatt nights with my brother with 2 Westin nights so that we would be together, plus we were attending a cousin's wedding at the Westin). The Westin executive rooms were larger than the Hyatts with a much larger and nicer bathroom. Overall, we were happy with both properties and enjoyed our stays at both.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
We stayed there before the 101 was up. I found it to be very isolated for a tourist. Great if you want to be near the convention center. I used public transit also to get around and found it very easy. The second time in Taipei, we stayed at the Sheraton and I LOVED the location. Right in downtown, dept stores, tourist attractions within walking distance, great bakeries - trust me, parks and super people watching. I would go back in a minute. The Hyatt was new and a terrific hotel but only near the Sun monument, nothing else.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:50 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
GHT treamtent of Diamonds? Absolute ****. Not as bad as Herr Welt's Kowloon fantasyland, but pretty bad.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:11 pm

GH Taipei

I have searched and read all the threads on the GH in Taipei. I am trying to decide if it is worth paying $50 more a night for a Club Room or just stick with the Grand Room? I am staying 2 nights and will be taking advantage of the Amex Plat Fine Hotel and Resorts benefits.

From what I've read, it looks like the main benefit to the Club Room is the Club access. However, I think we will be checking in late on the first night, so we will miss the food/drinks in the lounge. With the FHR program, we get a free lunch and breakfast both mornings. I just don't think we'll really use the lounge at all.

So... are the Club Rooms significantly better than the regular rooms (are bathrooms bigger, rooms bigger, newer...) to make the $50 more a night worth it? From what I can tell, neither room has internet access for free, is that correct? I'm thinking I'd rather spend the money for internet than lounge access that we won't use.

Anyways, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone had experience booking through FHR? Did you get an upgrade? From what type of room to what type of room??

Many thanks in advance!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.