Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Although the construction area will be at ground level, so you are unlikely to notice it visually unless you wander through that area, or are on your way to the Spa or Fitness Center (or Luau).
You forgot to mention Halona Kai and the new club. Both are in the lobby level.

Last edited by Maui4me1; May 22, 2016 at 12:09 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 8:22 pm

I've enjoyed another generally great stay here at Hyatt Regency Maui (reason: an early spa closure that management promptly and kindly addressed with me). I spoke with the stalwart registration god, Jeff, when I checked-in on May 27, 2016.

NEW CONSTRICTION. 3 construction projects will occur simultaneously:

- New lobby level Regency Club with outside space (presumably, in the retail location of the vacant Happy Hands boutique close to the current ballrooms and the Lahina Tower).
- New lobby level ballroom space between the Atrium and Napili Towers.
- New restrooms behind the Registratikn and Bell desks alcove.

FULL ROOM RENOVATIONS COMING. Jeff also shared that a full renovation of guestrooms will occur in 2018; keep in mind that new guestroom furniture was installed in 2011, but as one of these most fully occupied Hyatt properties in the portfolio, these fixtures are clearly showing their age.

RECOMMENDATIONS. If I weren't a Diamond, I'd be concerned about any noise that might be heard on levels 14 and 15 of the Atrium Tower. As a Diamond, there was a wedding last night with a beachside reception in front of the children's pool area and the Napili Tower that was quite loud and could be heard even on the top floors of the Atrium Tower.

MY SENTIMENT. Yes, the HR pool areas are still very crowded. And the RC pool areas are nicer but lack the Diamond level all day Happy Hour at Umalu poolside bar. However, one of the main reasons I call this resort home on Maui (instead on the Andaz at Wailea) is because the Spa (now run by an outside organization, Marilyn Monroe Spa) has complimentary Diamond guest access to their facilities that include a wet steam room, dry sauna and jacuzzi. If this ever changes, I'm headed to Andaz for the much higher quality Bumbye that Fernando of Park Hyatt New York PHNY pioneered, better beach access and and infinity pools galore.

Last edited by christof; May 29, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 8:06 am

Diamond benefits and resort fee

Hoping those more experienced can advise-

Used DSU on points and cash rate to get Lahaina suite for family of four, but now considering booking a second room just for the extra space

1)As a Diamond member, can you book a second room during the same dates, receive stay credit, and guests in second room receive Diamond benefits, specifically breakfast and club access?

2) Does HR Maui reduce or waive resort fee for Diamonds? Would they consider waiving resort fee on second room since original booking was four guests in one room?

thanks
Old May 30, 2016, 8:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You can only get definite answers by contacting the hotel directly....
Booking a second room never gets you stay credit, you only get the points. And Diamond benefits for those not in the room where the Diamond is staying aren't standard either....
Old May 30, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by RTW1
You can only get definite answers by contacting the hotel directly....
Booking a second room never gets you stay credit, you only get the points. And Diamond benefits for those not in the room where the Diamond is staying aren't standard either....
I do believe the suites used for DSU's have a connecting bedroom so you could turn it into a 2 bedroom suite, paying the additional for the 2nd bedroom. I have done this many times (but not at this property) and everyone would get club access. Note, as there is a club here, there is no Diamond breakfast other than the continental breakfast in the club.

If you are staying at least 5 nights, you might want to see if the "Sunshine on Sale" rate is a better deal for you. The 5th night on each room would be free and each room would get 2 full breakfasts in the Swan Court restaurant.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Guest of Honor

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I do believe the suites used for DSU's have a connecting bedroom so you could turn it into a 2 bedroom suite, paying the additional for the 2nd bedroom. I have done this many times (but not at this property) and everyone would get club access. Note, as there is a club here, there is no Diamond breakfast other than the continental breakfast in the club.

If you are staying at least 5 nights, you might want to see if the "Sunshine on Sale" rate is a better deal for you. The 5th night on each room would be free and each room would get 2 full breakfasts in the Swan Court restaurant.
As a Diamond member you can book the second room and use your Guest of Honor privilege. I think that works on either a paid stay and points plus cash. Not sure how f it is good on a point redemption. They will then have the same privileges you have as a Diamond.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by martinplas
As a Diamond member you can book the second room and use your Guest of Honor privilege. I think that works on either a paid stay and points plus cash. Not sure how f it is good on a point redemption. They will then have the same privileges you have as a Diamond.
Guest of Honor only applies to a pure award stay.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:42 pm

beach towels?

Hi, travelling here with family for first time, do we need to bring beach towels or can we use or check out towels from the hotel?

thanks
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by adlibitum
Hi, travelling here with family for first time, do we need to bring beach towels or can we use or check out towels from the hotel?

thanks
Pool towels can be checked out at the pool. Whether those are allowed outside the pool area, I couldn't say, though I doubt anyone will really be checking. They can be purchased at ABC stores pretty cheaply. The bigger issue would be that there really isn't much beach right in front of the hotel - you have to walk (or take the shuttle bus) up toward Whaler's Village to get some good beach.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by seaduck79
Pool towels can be checked out at the pool. Whether those are allowed outside the pool area, I couldn't say, though I doubt anyone will really be checking. They can be purchased at ABC stores pretty cheaply. The bigger issue would be that there really isn't much beach right in front of the hotel - you have to walk (or take the shuttle bus) up toward Whaler's Village to get some good beach.
They usually have two different types of towels: pool towels and beach towels, although our last stay a few months ago(off season) only one type. You can take the towels wherever you want- just be sure to return them. Indeed there is almost no beach in front of the Hyatt but there's a huge beach 5 minute walk away at the Marriott. The last time-again off season- you could rent 2 chaise lounges and an umbrella on the Marriott beach for $35 a day. So, if you're going to take the towels away from the pool area, then just ask for beach towels.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:51 am

ok thanks, and to add on, after arriving OGG, renting a car, we plan to stop at Snorkel Bob's in Lahaina for one week snorkel gear rental, after check in at HR Maui, walk up beach to Black Rock beach near the Sheraton for what I've heard is good snorkeling?

Sound like a plan?

thanks
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by adlibitum
ok thanks, and to add on, after arriving OGG, renting a car, we plan to stop at Snorkel Bob's in Lahaina for one week snorkel gear rental, after check in at HR Maui, walk up beach to Black Rock beach near the Sheraton for what I've heard is good snorkeling?

Sound like a plan?

thanks
Yes, that's good. The walk to Black Rock is about 25-30 minutes depending upon how fast you walk. I believe there is a shuttle that goes up there or you could drive- perhaps someone else has more information about those possibilities.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Driving would be silly, very limited parking and it's kind of hidden unless one knows where it is (or one pays to park at Sheraton or Mall).

Black Rock is excellent snorkeling, or if one wants to drive then go to Kapalua or Old Airport or Honolua (a little more advanced I'd call it).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chao22
Playing around with their booking system.. it seems like they charge $75 for each additional adult after the 2, regardless of Diamond status. I just changed my reservation to C+P to avoid the 3rd and 4th adult charges.

Btw, here's their reply to my inquiry for the Diamond benefits at the property..
$10 discount on nightly resort fee
Complimentary Regency Club Access
Complimentary Spa Access
Prioritized valet parking service
$10 discount on full day cabana rentals.
20% discount on general admission to Drums of Pacific Luau for you and your party
Complimentary Ka’anapali Pie at Japengo with purchase on an entrée
$5 discount per person on Tour o fthe Stars
Complimentary spa upgrade with purchase of a 50 minutes massage at Spa. Visit the spa or dial 4500 to book.
$50 discount per couple on a 60 minute Maui helicopter tour. Visit Hyatt Concierge or dial 4727 to book.
Complimentary rental clubs with purchase of multiple round package at Ka’anapali Golf Courses; 15% discount on lesson with PGA professional, 15% discount on non-sale apparel in logo shop.
20% discount on equipment rentals (including snorkel gear, boogie boards) at the Beach Activities Center. Visit the Center or dial 3290.
Complementary tennis racket rental while playing at Hyatt Tennis Center.
Happy hour pricing all day at ‘Umalu bar (10am – Midnight)
FYI to anyone else curious about Diamond benefits at this property, the list has changed slightly from this post from the end of last year. Notable changes vs. what's listed above:
  • Discounted and prioritized valet parking (discounted at self-parking rate - meaning valet and self-park are the same rate)
  • 10% discount on treatments and products at the spa (I'm assuming this replaced the complimentary upgrade with the purchase of a 50-min massage)

Everything else looks to be the same.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Hello all. I will be staying at the property for 7 nights flying in this Sunday. I booked trip with a combination of credit card nights and points. I am platinum. Currently room reservation is showing resort view 2 beds. I am hoping for an upgrade to a room in Lahaina tower with at least a partial ocean view. We stayed in that tower on our last trip and really enjoyed the room. We won't arrive at the hotel until about 10pm on Sunday so I am worried the choice of rooms will be very limited by the time we get there. Is there ability to check in on their app or call the hotel on Sunday before our flight to reserve a room? What would you experts suggest?

Also, the reservation confirmation email I rec'd shows the room as follows: 451 Sq Ft: Lower Floors: Non-Ocean View: 1 Double Bed and 1 Queen Bed. The original booking showed Higher floors. I have higher floors set in my account preferences. I even called to ask them to fix that and they sent me an email showing the same thing...Lower Floors. I understand my award booking would book into the lowest room category, but I don't know why they won't change it from lower floors to higher floors on my reservation?

Last edited by koctail; Jul 26, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.