Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1
Anyone can use their pool and they can use the Regency pool. Really nice ADULT ONLY pool.
Is there a single adult only pool over there? How about the fitness center? I remember a nice hike to the regency fitness center if you were on the far side.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Just got an offer for the timeshare at $99 per night. Anyone have any info? We've stayed at the hotel a few times but haven't in at least 8 or 9 years. We're meeting some friends in Lahaina for a few nights and was going to burn some points, but this may be a better option.

Thoughts?
Old May 19, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
Is there a single adult only pool over there? How about the fitness center? I remember a nice hike to the regency fitness center if you were on the far side.
Very nice adult only pool. I don't know about a fitness center.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Just got an offer for the timeshare at $99 per night. Anyone have any info? We've stayed at the hotel a few times but haven't in at least 8 or 9 years. We're meeting some friends in Lahaina for a few nights and was going to burn some points, but this may be a better option.

Thoughts?
There's a whole thread under the timeshare's review plus many more about the offer. Do a search and you'll see the many responses.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I found it yesterday. Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:54 pm

Does anyone with experience with both the HR and Andaz know which would be better with a 2 year old? Also, are either of them still doing Points + Cash? I read that one or both of them had stopped.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
2 year old would do fine at either property. Andaz has a nice wading pool all the way to the bottom. HR has better overall pools though I think. Andaz has opted out of P&C and has painful fees now.

Think to each his own, they have very different vibes, feels, and clients.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by BillyFlyer
Does anyone with experience with both the HR and Andaz know which would be better with a 2 year old? Also, are either of them still doing Points + Cash? I read that one or both of them had stopped.
There's a good conversation of this up-thread in the Andaz thread for you to read. It's not a clear-cut decision, you have a few variables to consider (which are well discussed).
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Dissapointing visit

I've been staying here with my wife and kids about once a year on average for about the last 8 years or so, and have always enjoyed it. However, our stay this week was a bit disappointing.

I'm sure I will get blasted by the usual FT's for noting things that are relatively minor, but here I go anyway.

The biggest negative was all of the cutbacks. We had two great meals at Japengo (sushi was still excellent IMO), but the service was extremely slow. Both nights the waiters were working very hard, but it was clear they were understaffed. I told them we were in no rush, and both of them confirmed that they have cut back on staff.

We've always enjoyed the breakfast buffet (even if pricey), but were disappointed to see the egg/omlett station gone (this may have happened a while ago, we didn't stay here last year). I inquired, and was told quite honestly that it was another cut back. To make matters worse, the egg dish served in its place was the same egg fritatta served in the Regency Club.

Speaking of the Regency Club, this was one of the biggest disappointments. I've experienced all of the changes over the years (Hyatt charging for cocktails, etc), but the food offerings seemed to be cut to the bone. It was to the point that several times I just left, as there really wasn't anything worth eating. Two of our favorite staff were still there, and as kind as ever, but both were quick to talk about how far the club has fallen.

I'm clearly nitpicking here, but the valet no longer has beach towels after about 7am (once they "run out" , thats it). They also dont have bottled water anymore. I asked for one, and the lady shook her said and said sorry, we used to, but don't offer them anymore. Again, a minor cut back, but they all just seemed to add up over the course of the week.

Last, and certainly not least, was the well documented problem of the time share push. We were hounded literally all week to go to a sales presentation. In the lobby, by the pool, you couldn't get away from it. It got to the point where my entire family played a 'game' of don't make eye contact (as they target your kids to get the conversation going). We literally had to pass by them when using the elevator in the Lahaina tower the entire trip, so it was impossible to ignore. I could have lived with it if we were actually staying in the new Residence Club (especially if we were there on the advertised deal), but we weren't', and it was a real drag saying no for 8 days...

On a positive note, the GM wrote us a hand written letter thanking us for being repeat guests, and had a tray of cupcakes delivered to our room; but I think from here on out we are probably done with the HR Maui...
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
I've been staying here with my wife and kids about once a year on average for about the last 8 years or so, and have always enjoyed it. However, our stay this week was a bit disappointing.

I'm sure I will get blasted by the usual FT's for noting things that are relatively minor, but here I go anyway.

The biggest negative was all of the cutbacks. We had two great meals at Japengo (sushi was still excellent IMO), but the service was extremely slow. Both nights the waiters were working very hard, but it was clear they were understaffed. I told them we were in no rush, and both of them confirmed that they have cut back on staff.

We've always enjoyed the breakfast buffet (even if pricey), but were disappointed to see the egg/omlett station gone (this may have happened a while ago, we didn't stay here last year). I inquired, and was told quite honestly that it was another cut back. To make matters worse, the egg dish served in its place was the same egg fritatta served in the Regency Club.

Speaking of the Regency Club, this was one of the biggest disappointments. I've experienced all of the changes over the years (Hyatt charging for cocktails, etc), but the food offerings seemed to be cut to the bone. It was to the point that several times I just left, as there really wasn't anything worth eating. Two of our favorite staff were still there, and as kind as ever, but both were quick to talk about how far the club has fallen.

I'm clearly nitpicking here, but the valet no longer has beach towels after about 7am (once they "run out" , thats it). They also dont have bottled water anymore. I asked for one, and the lady shook her said and said sorry, we used to, but don't offer them anymore. Again, a minor cut back, but they all just seemed to add up over the course of the week.

Last, and certainly not least, was the well documented problem of the time share push. We were hounded literally all week to go to a sales presentation. In the lobby, by the pool, you couldn't get away from it. It got to the point where my entire family played a 'game' of don't make eye contact (as they target your kids to get the conversation going). We literally had to pass by them when using the elevator in the Lahaina tower the entire trip, so it was impossible to ignore. I could have lived with it if we were actually staying in the new Residence Club (especially if we were there on the advertised deal), but we weren't', and it was a real drag saying no for 8 days...

On a positive note, the GM wrote us a hand written letter thanking us for being repeat guests, and had a tray of cupcakes delivered to our room; but I think from here on out we are probably done with the HR Maui...
That's disappointing to hear! Was thinking of staying there.
I have booked club rooms at some Hyatts and the breakfast and the evening horsdevors were pathetic and almost nothing to eat! I end up going to Mcdonalds or anywhere where they serve affordable breakfast.

The breakfast you get there is in Regency club?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I used to stay nearly annually, and as I've posted before I won't stay anymore. I still love much about the property, but as you noted (if not specifically) it's just not as great as it was, and I now just VRBO when I want to stay in West Maui.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
That's disappointing to hear! Was thinking of staying there.
I have booked club rooms at some Hyatts and the breakfast and the evening horsdevors were pathetic and almost nothing to eat! I end up going to Mcdonalds or anywhere where they serve affordable breakfast.

The breakfast you get there is in Regency club?
When you can get a better complimentary breakfast (and frankly, a bigger room) as a soccer mom at a Hyatt Place than as a Diamond at a Hyatt Regency, something is wrong.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
HR Maui definitely disappointing when I stayed earlier this year a diamond.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:08 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by texdoc
HR Maui definitely disappointing when I stayed earlier this year a diamond.
They treated me like a king during my most recent stay there on an award reservation. No resort fee, free parking, upgraded to a high suite facing the ocean head-on, etc. The only glitch is that there was some kind of brief power failure, and the in-room mini-bar reported that I had consumed every last item contained therein. Wow, an entire mini-bar is e$pen$ive. Except for that multi-hundred-dollar charge (which was cordially removed ... we even had a good chuckle over the incident), the stay was textbook perfect.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:40 pm
brl

Honeymooners need help

Looking for some advice. My wife and I are staying at HR Maui for 5 nights on our honeymoon. I was able to get the last 4 nights on points but we are in a resort view room. The first night I had to pay for the room and the least expensive room was a mountain view room. My questions are (a) Do you think they will make us move after the first from a mountain view to a resort view or will they just let us be and (b) do you think if i upgrade us for ~$90 for the first night to a nice ocean view room they would let us stay? PS I am hyatt platinum. Any advice for honeymooners on a budget?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.