Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Planning a winter trip here with the Fam (chose this rather than the Andaz as it sounded more kid friendly). booked two rooms for 7 nights on points, does anyone have any recent info on the hotel? Is diamond recognition decent? Any chance of an upgrade?
Upgrade is more view than room size/type. May depend on if you asked for 2 rooms next to each other. We got 2 partial ocean views there last year in the back tower. This year we'll be just in 1 room so wonder if we'll get the tower with the RC. Don't feel like Diamond recognition is anything special at this property. Booked 2 nights at the Andaz pre breakfast nerf since we enjoyed it so much last year but we find it better suited to a family vacation so spending majority of time here. I don't remember the RC being open 24/7.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I was just there a couple weeks ago.... we were upgraded to a full ocean view on a high floor as a diamond. The RC was open 6am (or maybe 6:30a) til 8:30pm. They had a breakfast spread in the morning, hors d'oeuvres in the evening and desserts for an hour before close. The breakfast is mostly breads, meats, cheeses and fruits with one rotating hot egg dish... but it was filling enuf for us to eat there 5 of our 7 days. If you are around when they put out the treats at night, its worth swinging by as most everything they have is delicious.

Umalu has a few things on happy hour all day for diamonds so we actually made that our dinner meal one night. Service there was spotty tho, but the rest of the hotel was filled fantastic staff members.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by skitch23
I was just there a couple weeks ago.... we were upgraded to a full ocean view on a high floor as a diamond. The RC was open 6am (or maybe 6:30a) til 8:30pm. They had a breakfast spread in the morning, hors d'oeuvres in the evening and desserts for an hour before close. The breakfast is mostly breads, meats, cheeses and fruits with one rotating hot egg dish... but it was filling enuf for us to eat there 5 of our 7 days. If you are around when they put out the treats at night, its worth swinging by as most everything they have is delicious.

Umalu has a few things on happy hour all day for diamonds so we actually made that our dinner meal one night. Service there was spotty tho, but the rest of the hotel was filled fantastic staff members.
Umalu has specials for DIAMONDS? Could you explain? Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: LH HON,AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, and a few more
Its part of the enhanced benefits for Diamonds:

• $10 discount on nightly resort fee.
• Complimentary Regency Club Access
• Complimentary Spa Access
• Happy hour pricing all day at ‘Umalu bar (10am – 12 midnight).
• $50 discount per couple on a 60-minute Maui helicopter tour. Visit Hyatt Concierge or dial 4727 to book.
• Complimentary spa upgrade with purchase of a 50-minute massage at Kamaha’o, a Marilyn Monroe Spa. Visit the spa or dial 4500 to book.
• $10 discount on full day cabana rentals. Visit the pool desk or dial 3225 to book.
• Complimentary tennis racket rental while playing at Hyatt Tennis Center.
• $5 discount per person on Tour of the Stars, rooftop astronomy program for you and your party. Visit Hyatt Concierge or dial 4727 to book.
• Prioritized valet parking service.
• Complimentary Ka’anapali Pie at Japengo with the purchase of an entrée. Limit one per party.
• 20% discount on general admission to Drums of the Pacific Luau. Only available at www.drumsofthepacificmaui.com. Enter promo code: DIAM
• Complimentary rental clubs with purchase of multiple round package at Ka’anapali Golf Courses; 15% discount on lesson with PGA Professional and 15% discount on non-sale apparel in logo shop.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by roadwarrior365
Its part of the enhanced benefits for Diamonds:

• $10 discount on nightly resort fee.
• Complimentary Regency Club Access
• Complimentary Spa Access
• Happy hour pricing all day at ‘Umalu bar (10am – 12 midnight).
• $50 discount per couple on a 60-minute Maui helicopter tour. Visit Hyatt Concierge or dial 4727 to book.
• Complimentary spa upgrade with purchase of a 50-minute massage at Kamaha’o, a Marilyn Monroe Spa. Visit the spa or dial 4500 to book.
• $10 discount on full day cabana rentals. Visit the pool desk or dial 3225 to book.
• Complimentary tennis racket rental while playing at Hyatt Tennis Center.
• $5 discount per person on Tour of the Stars, rooftop astronomy program for you and your party. Visit Hyatt Concierge or dial 4727 to book.
• Prioritized valet parking service.
• Complimentary Ka’anapali Pie at Japengo with the purchase of an entrée. Limit one per party.
• 20% discount on general admission to Drums of the Pacific Luau. Only available at www.drumsofthepacificmaui.com. Enter promo code: DIAM
• Complimentary rental clubs with purchase of multiple round package at Ka’anapali Golf Courses; 15% discount on lesson with PGA Professional and 15% discount on non-sale apparel in logo shop.
Wow thanks for the run down look forward to the regency! is the beach decent or will we have to drive for a decent beach?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Thanks Roadwarrior 365
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Wow thanks for the run down look forward to the regency! is the beach decent or will we have to drive for a decent beach?
The beach right in front of the hotel is a little thin, but it's a short walk to wider ones. Closer to Whaler's Village (15 minute walk away) there is some great beach for sand play, sunbathing, etc.

If you want to play in the water (especially if you have some Keiki with you), I'd recommend a different beach than Ka'anapali, though. Napili or Kapalua Bay to the West, or the Kamaole beaches in Kihei, are all good family beaches.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by seaduck79
The beach right in front of the hotel is a little thin, but it's a short walk to wider ones. Closer to Whaler's Village (15 minute walk away) there is some great beach for sand play, sunbathing, etc.

If you want to play in the water (especially if you have some Keiki with you), I'd recommend a different beach than Ka'anapali, though. Napili or Kapalua Bay to the West, or the Kamaole beaches in Kihei, are all good family beaches.
seaduck is right about the beaches. another thing that we do is have the valet shuttle us (and all of our kids gear!) up to the sheraton on black rock beach. its only a couple minute ride, and they will take you for free in the hotel van.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
seaduck is right about the beaches. another thing that we do is have the valet shuttle us (and all of our kids gear!) up to the sheraton on black rock beach. its only a couple minute ride, and they will take you for free in the hotel van.
Thanks is an awesome idea!!! Thank you. What do you normally tip them for the ride a $5?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
If you have a car, and aren't the "stay at the property" types, there are some spectacular beaches not far away. As Seaduck noted, Kapaula is great (park on the the south lot adjacent to the beach, walking through the tunnel to get there). Nipili is nice.

My favorite beach in the West is Honolua, which is about five minutes further north drive from Kapalua. It's a very small lot (8 spots maybe) and a walk down the steps built into the hillside, but it's a beach that gets very little traffic, and if the waves aren't huge (summer is calmer) then it's a great family beach too (although not "family" like Old Airport Beach, which has facilities and shallow water, etc.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:00 pm

CanyonLeo brings up a great point about how the seasons affect the usability of some beaches. In Spring and Summer, the South shore has more gentle wave action, but that reverses in the Fall and Winter. So check with the locals on the beach conditions for your stay to be sure that what you need will be what you get.

Honolua is great snorkeling - when the water is clear and the waves are gentle. Morning is best for that. Again, check DAILY for the wave and water conditions for your beach.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by canyonleo
If you have a car, and aren't the "stay at the property" types, there are some spectacular beaches not far away. As Seaduck noted, Kapaula is great (park on the the south lot adjacent to the beach, walking through the tunnel to get there). Nipili is nice.

My favorite beach in the West is Honolua, which is about five minutes further north drive from Kapalua. It's a very small lot (8 spots maybe) and a walk down the steps built into the hillside, but it's a beach that gets very little traffic, and if the waves aren't huge (summer is calmer) then it's a great family beach too (although not "family" like Old Airport Beach, which has facilities and shallow water, etc.
Sorry, my detail is slightly off. Up (as in NW corner of Maui island) where Honolua is, there are two "half-moon" type bays, kind of like a single bay separated by a small (very small, as a strong swimmer I swim from on of these bays to the other all the time) rocky point. The eastern of the two bays is Honolua, which is great for diving/snorkeling, but it's a rocky beach (no sand at all) and no formal parking (carefully park on side of the road).

The beach I attempted to describe above - the sandy one with the small parking lot and the stairs built into the hillside - is to the west and adjacent to Honolua, and has a different name the official one I can't remember but locals call it Slaughter or Slaughterhouse beach, or something like that, because big waves can crush a body surfer into the sand (but medium waves are very fun for beach goers to play in, with care of course). In the morning during season (summer I think) when the waves are small, it's very family friendly (and in all seasons, in morning, it can be calm).
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Sorry, my detail is slightly off. Up (as in NW corner of Maui island) where Honolua is, there are two "half-moon" type bays, kind of like a single bay separated by a small (very small, as a strong swimmer I swim from on of these bays to the other all the time) rocky point. The eastern of the two bays is Honolua, which is great for diving/snorkeling, but it's a rocky beach (no sand at all) and no formal parking (carefully park on side of the road).

The beach I attempted to describe above - the sandy one with the small parking lot and the stairs built into the hillside - is to the west and adjacent to Honolua, and has a different name the official one I can't remember but locals call it Slaughter or Slaughterhouse beach, or something like that, because big waves can crush a body surfer into the sand (but medium waves are very fun for beach goers to play in, with care of course). In the morning during season (summer I think) when the waves are small, it's very family friendly (and in all seasons, in morning, it can be calm).
Yes, I know that beach, too. The wave action can be intense, and the surfers there get a bit more territorial, though I've not felt unwelcome on the beach. The road to get to the beach is a bit of an adventure. Choose your path carefully and slowly, unless you're in a Jeep.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by seaduck79
CanyonLeo brings up a great point about how the seasons affect the usability of some beaches. In Spring and Summer, the South shore has more gentle wave action, but that reverses in the Fall and Winter. So check with the locals on the beach conditions for your stay to be sure that what you need will be what you get.

Honolua is great snorkeling - when the water is clear and the waves are gentle. Morning is best for that. Again, check DAILY for the wave and water conditions for your beach.
Thanks everyone we have six kids in tow some like large waves (my 15 and 18 year old) while the littler ones (2-12) will want some calmer beaches.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Construction update?

Just curious if there are any updates on construction noise/impacts? The last update that I could find was from MilesBuilder on 7/4, saying the worst seemed to be over.

I'm thinking about a stay next month, and the only suites available on my dates are in the Napili tower. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.