Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
My Suite Experience at Maui Today

I checked-in today to the Maui Hyatt... and unfortunately, the Presidential Suite and the Regency Club floor Suite were occupied. (Although the RC suite opens up for the last night I'm here...and they offered to move me then, which I declined.) The Presidential Suite is occupied now through a few days after I leave, but I give credit to the front desk for looking around for the best suite in the house to give me. (They also looked into the Palace Suite which is also occupied through most of my stay.)

They are 100%+ booked ...which led to many unhappy people at the check-in counter who were unable to get the room type they had reserved. (Next to me was another Diamond who requested a King-Non-Smoking/Ocean View... and was told all that's left for him was a queen bed in a smoking room on a non-RC floor. He was not pleased.)

I ended up with a 2-room suite at the end of the Lahaina Tower. The suite has a decent size living room and an adjoining bedroom. Both the living room and bedroom have full-size balconies; one is directly on the ocean, the other overlooks the Sunset Terrace where Hyatt holds their Polynesian Revue. I actually have an unobstructed view of the stage, so I guess I'll be in for a treat tonight as the fire/knife dancers do there thing

And the suite has free high-speed internet access ^

Because the hotel is sold-out, they couldn't offer me RC access. But they did comp me + 2 guests (friends who are staying off-site) to a full breakfast at the Swan Court for the duration of my stay... which based on the reviews here, more than makes up for the lack of RC access. (I was here in November with RC access and did visit it for morning carbs and PM liquor, but didn't really "fill up" there.)

My suite seems to have been renovated recently; the interior definitely feels Hawaiian with warm woods and earth tones throughout; most furniture looks brand-new ...and everything, including the bathtub, is in excellent shape with no sign of wear/tear/abuse.

So I'm definitely happy. While I would have loved an awesome suite, I knew in reality I'd probably get a ROH suite with a 50/50 shot of getting a decent view. The front desk did their best to explore all of my options (right down to a crazy plan that had me bouncing from suite to suite over the next few days.) But in the end, I'm happy with the accomodations I got. Tomorrow, I'll let you know how much I enjoyed the full breakfast buffet
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:45 am

Thumbs up Paid

Originally Posted by dingo
Wow Weather that sounds like a great experience.

Are you there on a paid or award stay? On your other trip that you mention in November, what part of November? I'm going to be there four days before Thanksgiving and am trying to get a feel for how crowded and what kind of upgrade success I'll have. From there we go to Kauai for four days.
I'm here now on a a paid stay; my rate is $595/night.

I was here the 1st week of November last year and the place was pretty empty. But I'd suspect that the place would be packed around Thanksgiving time... although right before it may not be too bad. The hotel explained that they're out a sold-out capacity now because there's a bug rush of families coming to Maui prior to the start of school in a few weeks. They said last week, this week, and next week they're at a sell-out level.

As far as RC access, I probably won't ask for it anymore. I'm at the far end of the Lahaina tower and the RC is up in the Atrium tower... it's just not convienant to head over there. I'll stick with the full breakfast at Swan Court and will pass on evening booze. (Although I did have Hospitality send some vodka/rum/mixers to the room to do entertaining/drinking here.)

The Polynesian Review show was great. I had Hospitality stock my room with food & drink and I had a nice party in my suite; we watched the show without interruption or obstruction from 5pm-8pm from the balconies...while we munched on assorted chips/dip, fresh fruit platters, and cookies. And at sunset, everyone went over to the balcony on the ocean side to watch the green flash there.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:32 pm

RC/Suites?

How many RC floors are there and do you know how many RC suites they have that are ocean view?

Last edited by bbbb; Aug 12, 2004 at 8:37 pm
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:56 pm

RC Floors

Originally Posted by bbbb
How many RC floors are there and do you know how many RC suites they have that are ocean view?
There are 2 RC floors and only 2 suites on the RC floor: one being the Presidential Suite with the best ocean view possible ...and the other being the RC Suite, which has a less-than-great view overlooking the adjoining Maui (I guess it'd be considered a partial ocean view.)
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
There are 2 RC floors and only 2 suites on the RC floor: one being the Presidential Suite with the best ocean view possible ...and the other being the RC Suite, which has a less-than-great view overlooking the adjoining Maui (I guess it'd be considered a partial ocean view.)
There are actually a couple other places on the RC floors that CAN be turned into 2 room suites I believe. The Presidiential Suite is on the South side of the 18th Floor. On the South and North ends/corners of the Atrium Tower on the Ocean side there are actually rooms that have two sets of doors. I'm not sure if they sell these as 2 room suites or not, but when entering the corner rooms, there is a single door that can take a keycard which leads to a small hall/area that splits off into 2 rooms which can each take a separate keycard. I was given one of these corner rooms on the North side last time I was there and the first door was just propped open all the time to basically make this two individual rooms. Again, I'm not sure if they sell this as a 2 rooms suite at times or not. My room had 2 balconies, one facing the ocean and one facing Kanappali (sp?) Beach area and if you looked to the right you could see the mountains. Nice room, King Bed, Sofa that doubled as a pullout bed, and slightly bigger bathroom than other rooms. And I liked the choice of balconies. ^ I believe this pair of rooms (or suite) might also be on the North corner of the 18th floor (about 2 doors down from Regency Club) but I'm not sure. And BTW, I don't know where the RC Suite is, this could be it but from the previous posters description, its not because this one faces the ocean AND mountains.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 6:54 pm

Do all the king rooms have a sofa pullout?When I booked my room they asked me if I wanted a king with a pullout or two doubles.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
On an award stay, how much is the resort fee? Also, how much does it cost to self park?
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:27 am

Fees

Originally Posted by dingo
On an award stay, how much is the resort fee? Also, how much does it cost to self park?
The Resort Fee is $15/day and is waived for Diamonds on award or paid stays; all others must pay the fee.

The resort fee includes admission for 2 to the Spa Moana Fitness Center, Maui News delivered daily (which is a typical Gold Passport benefit anyway), local telephone calls, access charges for 800/888 calls, in-room coffee & tea (another Gold Passport benefit), use of the in-room safe, and 1 hour of tennis court time.

Self-parking is free while Valet parking is $10/day. However, my bellhop advised that if you move your valet-parked car out of the valet-parking lot by 10pm and park it in the self-park area, you won't be charged for valet parking.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:56 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Self-parking is free while Valet parking is $10/day. However, my bellhop advised that if you move your valet-parked car out of the valet-parking lot by 10pm and park it in the self-park area, you won't be charged for valet parking.
Yes, that's true, so you can leave the car with the valet to check in, get settled in the room, etc., then go back and self-park. The parking is pretty limited, though, with a very crowded lot near the entrance (full a couple times for me) and a somewhat larger lot in the back (which you share with luau guests).

The thing that I remember most is that size of the parking spaces; they are extremely small and I was worried that I would get dings in my rental car doors. A couple of times I could barely get out of the car after I parked. Valet parking may have been worth it.

AGS
Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:54 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
HR Maui experiences (bad service)

We had reserved the Hyatt at Maui and noted in the reservation early arrival and high floor.

We arrived there around noon. A very unfriendly lady at the recption told us our room is not ready until 3 p.m. (so much for early check in) and we saw that they put us is a room on the second floor (so much for hight floor). Then we asked if they gave us a RC club room - answer none are available and no access will be given, but she might give us continental breakfast (as if she does us a favour by that). No info about the room and RC was given without explicitely asking!

So we went off and came back at 3, of course the room was still not ready, but at least we got a friendly clerk this time, who gave us a somewhat larger room on floor 4 (but still with mostly roof view) and as a little gesture of goodwill full breakfast.

Still we were pretty upset about the unfriendlyness and inflexibility of the first lady, basically showing the attitude: "we are the Hyatt in Maui and we do not care who you are and what you want".

The Hyatt in Kaui on the other sidewere we stayed some days later was very conforting and friendly. So for us this means, that we will not stay at the HR Maui again, until they train their staff.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:30 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
This is contrary to the exceptional service I have received at this property during my 25 or so visits over the last 15 years.

Many, many people check out as late as possible because of flight schedules, etc. As a result, if the hotel is busy (as it will be in Augst) you won't get into your room until 3PM or later.

Of course, if you read the previous threads on this subject, you will see that RC is not provided, and the RC itself is usually fully occupied.

I think you did VERY well to get full breakfast coupons, which are a much better value than RC access anyway. I am also wondering what a "larger room" might actually be?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:19 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by divaof travel
This is contrary to the exceptional service I have received at this property during my 25 or so visits over the last 15 years.

Many, many people check out as late as possible because of flight schedules, etc. As a result, if the hotel is busy (as it will be in Augst) you won't get into your room until 3PM or later.

Of course, if you read the previous threads on this subject, you will see that RC is not provided, and the RC itself is usually fully occupied.

I think you did VERY well to get full breakfast coupons, which are a much better value than RC access anyway. I am also wondering what a "larger room" might actually be?

A larger room was a room with two windows both showing the roof mostly.

IMHO full breakfast is worse than RC.

Our biggest concern was the attitude of the check in staff!
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by peter42
This could be the corner rooms in the Atrium Tower. I got one last time I was there that was slightly larger: King Bed, 2 sliding doors, 2 balconies, pull-out sofa. Mostly the extra room went towards a bigger entry hall and also the portion of the bathroom with the faucets seemed to be slightly larger too I think.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 4:09 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by peter42

IMHO full breakfast is worse than RC.

Our biggest concern was the attitude of the check in staff!
I agree that many of the desk staff can be cold. But t also seems that when the hotel is busy, almost EVERYBODY I see at check-in is demanding some kind of upgrade and special treatment - Diamond or not (usually not.) I have seen this so many times in Maui, but rarely elsewhere.

In comparing breakfast to RC access, did you actually get into the RC? It is not nearly as nice as Kauai. And you had full breakfast at Swan Court? I think it is a great buffet, and would always choose that over an english muffin and cereal at RC.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:13 pm

Maui Staff

I was at this property a few weeks ago and also couldn't check-in until after 3pm. However, I found all the front desk staff that worked with me to be very friendly and warm. And because of the delayed check-in, they did upgrade my breakfast coupons to full breakfast...and gave me 4 coupon cards... even though I was a party of 1. (Other friends/family were in the area and I let them dine with me the mornings I was there.)

I did get a nice suite... but even with Diamond status, wasn't able to get RC access. On my last trip there last fall I did get RC access and a standard Deluxe Oceanview room on the top floor in the Atrium tower. Comparing/contrasting both stays, I'd probably take a suite over the RC floor view/access. Other than a few moments on the balcony, you really don't get too much time to enjoy the view there... most of your time is spent on the beach or elsewhere on the resort grounds. While the RC access was nice on my last visit, I think I was only able to drop in 1x during the evening for their reception; as such, I find the breakfast route (even with just continental offerings) a better "value" than the RC option. I guess if you did nothing but stay at the Maui and its grounds, the RC access could come in handy... but if you're out and about and enjoying all that Maui has to offer, you really won't be lingering around your room and hanging out in the RC.

I visit the Hawaiian Islands very frequently. While I enjoy the service, staff, and accomodations of this Hyatt property, I'm beginning to dislike the island of Maui. The traffic is getting unreal (2-3 hours to drive from OGG to the Hyatt!) as are the crouds on the beach and surrounding area (like Whaler's Village.) When I first went to Maui about 10-15 years ago, Kaanapali Beach was really a luxurious area with cream-of-the crop hotels and guests...and a true, authentic Hawaiian feel. On this recent trip, I felt like I was more at a bustling southern California resort with limited Hawaiian flavor... and the crouds were more in line with the crouds you'd see at the Jersey shore.

I wish Hyatt would explore properties on the other islands... especially on Lanai and Hawaii.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.