Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Sounds like a good way for DMs using a Suite upgrade to get into one even more inexpensively!
Unless they also have "obstructed view (and construction noise) suites" (suites in that part of the building)? Having only stayed in the main tower with ocean or side/mtns view, I don't so well remember the layout of the property and buildings to know the answer.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Unless they also have "obstructed view (and construction noise) suites" (suites in that part of the building)? Having only stayed in the main tower with ocean or side/mtns view, I don't so well remember the layout of the property and buildings to know the answer.
No, the suites in the Napili tower are all on the corners at the ocean end of the building. So the ones on the NW corner (toward Whaler's village) would likely be able to see/hear it, the ones on the SE corner (toward Lahaina) would not. That being said, the views from either side to the ocean should remain unobstructed throughout.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:07 am

Does anyone know which rates qualify as "Rack Rates"? (In regards to using Hyatt points to upgrade to a suite). Do these "Obstructed View Guestrooms" qualify was "Rack Rates"? What about AAA Discounted rates?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:17 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
Does anyone know which rates qualify as "Rack Rates"? (In regards to using Hyatt points to upgrade to a suite). Do these "Obstructed View Guestrooms" qualify was "Rack Rates"? What about AAA Discounted rates?
Hyatt does not use "rack rates" to describe either the rates it offers or the minimum required rate for suite upgrades. The terms for suite upgrades via points are pretty clear:

When redeeming Regency Club® or Grand Club® upgrades or suite upgrades at a resort property, you must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc). At non-resort properties you must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate
Since the HR Maui is a resort, you will need to pay the Hyatt Daily Rate for a "Partial Ocean View" room or above to use points to upgrade to a suite. The obstructed view rates fail to qualify on both counts as they are neither the Hyatt Daily Rate nor a deluxe room rate.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
Hyatt does not use "rack rates" to describe either the rates it offers or the minimum required rate for suite upgrades. The terms for suite upgrades via points are pretty clear:

Since the HR Maui is a resort, you will need to pay the Hyatt Daily Rate for a "Partial Ocean View" room or above to use points to upgrade to a suite. The obstructed view rates fail to qualify on both counts as they are neither the Hyatt Daily Rate nor a deluxe room rate.
Thanks

In regards to "you must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room"... does using a AAA discount change anything?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:47 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
Thanks

In regards to "you must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room"... does using a AAA discount change anything?
You cannot use any discounts, including AAA. You must pay at least the Hyatt Daily Rate for at least a deluxe room. AAA is a discounted rate that is not eligible for suite upgrades via points.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:51 am

You cannot use any discounts, including AAA. You must pay at least the Hyatt Daily Rate for at least a deluxe room. AAA is a discounted rate that is not eligible for suite upgrades via points.
Thank you.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:23 pm

I have been able to use DM suite upgrades based on the lowest Hyatt.com posted rate for any room (including a govt rate for which I was then eligible). Did the upgrades through GP, who had no problem with it. I haven't tried it with AAA discount, but I think I would like to hear more input on that before saying it would or would not work.

I am pretty sure that third-party rates (i.e. Costco, Priceline) don't apply, but I think any rate posted through Hyatt is good to go.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 pm

Any rate found on Hyatt.com, including the lowest Senior, AARP, AAA, etc. rates, are eligible for Diamond suite upgrades. And that includes resorts. The rules are different for point upgrades.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Hi, my husband and I will be staying at the Hyatt Maui for 6 nights starting in two weeks. So excited, it's for my 40th birthday!! So, a couple of questions.

1) I have four nights booked using points. I went ahead and used 33000 pts per night to reserve a suite as we were flush in GP points (and tons of UR points too)
2) We had originally planned on switching to the Fairmont Kea Lani after the fourth night so that we could stay on two sides of the island, but that didn't work out. I decided to just pay cash for the add'l two nights at the Hyatt and had to wait for something to open up since we are there over Valentine's Day and availability was slim. As soon as I saw a partial ocean room open up, I booked the AA rate of $469 (no points rooms were available though). Then, a few days later, I saw that an Ocean Suite was open for those two nights, so I called the Diamond Line and had them apply one of my suite upgrades. When I called, they said they would check w/the hotel to make sure I could book that upgrade. When the phone rep came back, she said the hotel said they would "try" to keep me in the same suite for all 6 nights but they weren't 100% sure they could do that. Do you think I will have a problem - I'd certainly hope not. I really don't want to switch rooms midway through my stay, esp. since we have the same room type reserved the whole time.
3) I really don't want to stay in one of the side towers, as I'd like to be close to the club lounge, but I guess that's where the suites are located, right? So which is the "better" of the two towers to request? We'd prefer the quieter side so away from the luau, etc.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Originally Posted by blase
So which is the "better" of the two towers to request? We'd prefer the quieter side so away from the luau, etc.
No Luau, so you prefer quiet in the evening, so choose the construction zone

(read back for lots of relevant location info in this thread)

One of my favorite getaway properties. Have a great birthday and don't forget to tell them you are celebrating your special day with them!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by traveling_again
No Luau, so you prefer quiet in the evening, so choose the construction zone

(read back for lots of relevant location info in this thread)

One of my favorite getaway properties. Have a great birthday and don't forget to tell them you are celebrating your special day with them!
actually i edited my original thread to say "away from the luau, construction, etc." but I guess the editing didn't take!

so are you saying one tower has one and the other tower has to deal with the other?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: hyatt diamond, hilton gold
Originally Posted by blase
actually i edited my original thread to say "away from the luau, construction, etc." but I guess the editing didn't take!

so are you saying one tower has one and the other tower has to deal with the other?
Yes, but the luau was a lot of fun to watch and is over at a reasonable hour. Really not a disturbance during our stay.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by mel14
Yes, but the luau was a lot of fun to watch and is over at a reasonable hour. Really not a disturbance during our stay.
One other thing to consider is that there used to be parking near the Napili tower. That's gone now, because that's where they are building the new resort. All of the parking is behind or below the hotel (by the tennis courts) now, meaning that you will have a shorter walk from car to room from either the Lahaina or Atrium towers.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Not true. The parking lot near the Napili tower is still in operation, at least for now. We are here now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.