Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:16 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jim90068:
I'm sorry to tell you that this hotel is not worth the $300 rate youre paying. It's really a factory, and you'e a number, unlike some of the luxury hotels that exit on Maui.

It's a perfectly fine LARGE hotel. But you're just a [room] number.

I paid $170 per night on Priceline, got upgraded to a decent room ( no real oceanfront room). I'd rather choose another hotel on Kaanapali Breach next time.

</font>
Do you mean that your upgrade wasn't to an oceanfront room? The best oceanfront roomes here are at the ends of the Lahaina and Napili towers. They are only a few feet from the beach. The Atrium tower rooms have a great view of the ocean and pool, but are further back.

I have stayed at all of the hotels on Kaanapali from Black Rock south (Sheraton, Westin, Marriott and Hyatt.) IMHO the Hyatt is hands-down the best property there. Which one do you prefer over the Hyatt?

------------------
United UGS, 1K, Million Mile Flyer
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
After being given a room on the north wing ( I don't remember the name of it) that was on the second floor overlooking the Parking Lot, we were moved to the 5th floor of the same wing overlooking the roof of the Entry. If you leaned out on the tiny lanai you could see the ocean...so I doubt they'd call this Ocean View.

The second room was nicely laid out, but the mattress was way too soft.. Somehow, someone there thinks that beds without boxsprings are nice and close to the floor making the room feel larger.

On Ka'anapali, I much prefer the Westin or second best, the Sheraton.

On Wailea, I prefer the Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, or even the Maui Prince ( mostly because of the peace and quiet and its gorgeous beach).
Old Oct 15, 2003, 3:03 pm

I have stayed at HR Maui at least 20 times, and I have always had full oceanfront or better. But I am a lifetime Diamond, and Hyatt treats me well.

IMHO, the Sheraton has the best beach, but the rooms, restaurant and even the new pool don't compare to the Hyatt. The hotel is also about twice as old (and haunted.J) The Westin is OK, but it is right in the middle of the “walk”, and has a feel that is too busy and touristy for me. Also, the pool, rooms and other facilities don’t meet the Hyatt standard. The Hyatt has the best pool, the best landscaping and the most refined ambience in Kanapali.

I too like some of the hotels near Wailea, but the best restaurants, shopping and activities are in West Maui. So if you prefer that side of the island, I think Hyatt is the place. (The Ritz has tangibly worse weather, no beach to speak of, and a worse view. I think the rooms are not any better than Hyatt either.)
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:52 am

Aloha,

Got some questions about the property itself. I am familiar with the location and the grounds. We have stayed on Kaananpli beach four times (3X @ Marriott, 1X @ Sheraton) And are presently planning on an April trip to Kaanapali beach.

In reference to the beach area, if I remember correctly the beach in front of the Hyatt was the worst (small and coral right off of the shore). But it got better as you approached the Sheraton (which had the best stretch on Kaanapali) But I have been reading lately that the beach in front of the Kaanapali Ali'i and the Marriott IS GONE!!! This is due to the "seasonal erosion", but it is the worst in 20 years. They do expect some of it to return over the winter. How did this effect the beach on front of the Hyatt?

I have also read in other posts that the Hyatt is getting "old and tired". Truly, the rooms that you folks have stayed in, how are they? I know that the Hyatt is one of the older properties (with th Sheraton being the newest due to total reconstruction)

Any other info that can help us decide, please feel free to post.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 8:29 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bishop1:
Aloha,

Got some questions about the property itself. I am familiar with the location and the grounds. We have stayed on Kaananpli beach four times (3X @ Marriott, 1X @ Sheraton) And are presently planning on an April trip to Kaanapali beach.

In reference to the beach area, if I remember correctly the beach in front of the Hyatt was the worst (small and coral right off of the shore). But it got better as you approached the Sheraton (which had the best stretch on Kaanapali) But I have been reading lately that the beach in front of the Kaanapali Ali'i and the Marriott IS GONE!!! This is due to the "seasonal erosion", but it is the worst in 20 years. They do expect some of it to return over the winter. How did this effect the beach on front of the Hyatt?

I have also read in other posts that the Hyatt is getting "old and tired". Truly, the rooms that you folks have stayed in, how are they? I know that the Hyatt is one of the older properties (with th Sheraton being the newest due to total reconstruction)

Any other info that can help us decide, please feel free to post.
</font>
Thr beach at the Hyatt is still large enough to have one line of beach chairs between the walkway and the surf. From the Marriott to the Westin, they have posted "red flags" [swim at your own risk] and you won't see any spots big enough to even put a beach chair.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 6:05 pm

Programs: JetBlue True Blue, AAdvantage
Hyatt Maui Again (I'm new here)

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here for a week or so and need an opinion. My husband and I are returning to the Hyatt Maui this Dec.1 for 12 nights. This will be our second trip there. Our first was on our honeymoon 7 years ago. This is a very special trip for us as we are celebrating my husbands retirement from the New York City Police Dept. after 20 years of service.

Back on our honeymoon we stayed in the Napili Tower (room 431 to be exact Mountain View). It was considered an upgrade from our Terrace View room that was booked. We had a wonderful stay (10 nights). We did have one mishap on our last night there. We booked their catamaran for a sunset sail through the Hyatt. The voucher said to meet at 4:30pm when in fact the boat actually left at 4pm. The Asst Director of Recreation saw this error and immediately credited us and gave us comp tickets to their Luau along with a beautiful amenity to our room along with a personal note.

About a 2 years later I found out about the Hyatts Gold Passport program. I immediately enrolled and tried to get our honeymoon stayed credited to my account. Unfortunately they could not do that . . oh well. So now here it is, seven years later and we are finally returning. With everything I have been reading, I would love to get a room upgrade. Heck, my husband wants the Concierge level but I told him "in his dreams". We booked our trip through GoGo Vacations and right now we only have the bottom of the line room category.

SO any opinions on just what I should say? Exactly? I am a returning guest with a gold passport now. Sorry for the lengthy post
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:43 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by I LOVE EWR:
If you guys would please write a mini-trip report on how the hotel treated you all (re:upgrades, etc.) I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks
</font>

I'll make a complete post once my trip is over... but, I checked in this evening:

-I reserved a "cheap" ($225/night) room and was upgraded at check-in to a Deluxe Ocean View on the 21st RC floor due to my Diamond Status. I didn't have to say/do anything at check-in for the upgrade -it was waiting for me when I arrived.

-I got my Diamond ammenity within 15 mins of checking in; I had a choice, and selected wine/fruit basket. The fruit also came with a can of macadamia nuts.

-Front desk automatically waived the resort fee (I think its $13/day) due to my status.

I didn't know what to expect, and with my low rate, I didn't expect too much... but am very pleased with a great room with a phenomenal view of the ocean. The RC room is nice... went there for free booze & snacks (chips, dip, cheese, crackers, vegetables, chicken skewers) this evening.

More details will come once I've had a chance to enjoy things on Maui
Old Nov 9, 2003, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Three perfect days at Hyatt Maui!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from Maui, Hyatt. A great memorable three days get away. As soon as we arrived at the airport in Maui (OGG), we rented a car at Enterprise what a great deal, free upgraded to a brand new wagon. it’s cheaper than taking a taxi or a shuttle to the hotel. The three days rental cost us $80, (taxi cost around $60-65 one way, shuttle cost around $45 one way). After driven along the coastline of Maui for about 45 minutes/29 miles from the airport. Welcome to the Hyatt regency Maui, a valet greet us in a very polite manners and the luggage were taken care of. At the check-in counter, we were given a “lei greeting” what a wonderful start!!!!! Since I am a diamond gold passport member we were given one of the best room they had to offered, a regency club deluxe 180 degrees ocean view room located in the 21st floors of the atrium towers, (regency club rooms are locating in the 21/22nd floors) card access needed to these two floors. We were in room 21*6, this is one of the best room because it set right in the middle you have the full ocean front view. Not to mention the bell service were great, our luggage arrived before we did.

The room were great, nice decors, brand new bathroom with the full toiletries amenities , stocked refrigerator, instant coffee/tea etc, two telephone and one were cordless phone. The bed were soft and fluffy comfortable and very clean. Sea breeze and warm tropical surrounded around you when were out at the patio. Then we went up to the regency club located at the 22nd floors, at that time they were serving a hors d’oeuvres , a variety of fresh fruits such as pineapple, banana, strawberry, kiwi fruits, cantaloupe. A very delicious fruit sandwiches, Hawaiian chips, cookies, a variety of cheese, different kind of coffee, tea, mineral water, soda. At the regency club you may choose to sit inside ( a very beautiful interior decors and clean bathroom for guest) or sit at the patio. After the regency club we tour around the hotel, get to know more about this resort, they were a lot of souvenir shop if you ever needed anything from head to toes they have it there. We took a walk along the beach and watch a sunset. If you are in the mood for sushi, you should stop by at the cascades grilled, very delicious and friendly atmosphere. The first night turndown service were really romantic, two roses and chocolate right by the pillows. If you sleep at night and leave the patio door open you would get a very nice breezy wind and the sound of natural sea breeze.

Our 2nd day, In room breakfast at the patio, just perfect. Then we went to the fitness room to burn off some fat and keep up in shape. The fitness room located at the beachfront on the left towers. Brand new facility and equipment, every cardio machine has it’s own mini television screen and headset were available too. Great ocean view while your working out. Then we rented a jet-ski for an hour (located in in front of the Hyatt), it was fun and the water was so warm, the jet-ski cost $85 per hour, it‘s well worth it. After the long fun jet-ski ride it was time to headed to the pool, the waitress came right to us and take some order also bring us some beach towels (try the smoothie, it’s yummy) Our food and drink came to us pretty fast and the waitress at the pool were really polite and respective. After being in the sun for so long we decided to go back to our room and relaxing. At night, we went out to the ROY’S restaurant one of the Hawaii famous located just before Kapalua , take the 30 east for about 10 minutes there’s a sign on your left , great food. If you like to see what’s night life are like in Maui, drive to Lahaina town, five minutes drive from the Hyatt you will find a lot of souvenir’s shop, some brand name stuff, restaurant etc, very crowded but well worth it to visit. A surprise at night we went came back to our room, a nice full bottle of champagne, two bottle of water, and a fresh fruit basket awaited with a candle on the table at the lanai patio what a really romantic surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our last day, We had breakfast at the regency club lounge, a really nice touch of continental breakfast, fresh fruits (kiwi fruit is real sweeten and yummy), croissant, white/wheat, pastries, cereal, oatmeal, orange juice, pineapple juice, milk, skim milk, coffee, breakfast tea, bottle of water. Did a little bit of beach walk and jet skiing. Then it’s time to go to the airport our flight leave at two in the afternoon. I have to say that the bell service at Hyatt Maui are very good, the bell man arrived a few minutes after I called the concierge. When we came down to the receptionist we saw our luggage was there and our rental car parked in front of the hotel already. What a great three perfect days, we did enjoyed this trip and we like to go back to this hotel very soon. “ My girlfriend and I really miss this hotel”
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:43 pm

Something I thought about posting, but didn't earlier.

There were very few people of color and none ever when we were there in the regency club. Mostly old(er) people and folks that looked like honeymooners. Very few families with children. We counted 6 asian guests our entire stay. Big difference from Honolulu. Which could be both good or bad depending upon what you like.

I was warned before we arrived by my friends about this.

[This message has been edited by Tummy (edited 11-10-2003).]
Old Nov 11, 2003, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TANBOY90274:
Just got back from Maui, Hyatt.”</font>
I too just left the Maui Hyatt --and was in the room next-door to Tanboy!!

I agree with everything he says about the hotel --the room, the service, and the food were all great. The types of snacks offered at the Regency Club were exceptional --ranging from teriyaki chicken to potstickers to fruit/cheese plates. The RC service was also very nice --I was sitting out on the balcony during an afternoon snack period waiting for guests and while I was there, one of the RC'ers came out and refilled my soda

This is my 5th visit here, my 2nd one in the last 2 months (and my 3rd this year.) One thing that is dramatic though is the disappearing beach and changing hotel landscape along Kaanapali.

What was once rated as one of the best beaches in the world is almost gone --and in front of some resorts (the Westin and the Ali condo complex)-- is completely gone. Sandbags are the only border between the surf below and the sidewalk connecting the coastal resorts together.

And while the beachfront stroll in the past has been a pleasure ...especially as it twisted its way through the lushly landscape mega-resorts... this time it's blockaded with agressive timeshare pitches --especially at the Marriot (next door to the Hyatt) and the Westin. I was especially depressed at what's become of the Westin and the now-gone Tropica resteraunt there.

While the rest of Kaanapali has changed over the last few months and years (my 1st visit here was in 1992), the Hyatt has remained a solid first-class resort ...and remains the best beach destination on this part of Maui. While the other beaches have changed/eroded with time, the Hyatt features the most beach area of any resort -including the Sheraton which once had super-wide beaches in the past. The Hyatt's length and width of beach allows for plenty of space to spread out and enjoy the sand. And Hyatt is lucky --just next door at the Marriott, most guests are stuck on the poolside lawns and are unable to get into the surf.

The only glitch in my stay was a minor one that won't be repeated: this past week, Hyatt installed new keys/locks on all rooms. To get around, I had 5 different keys, each with different access to elevators/RC suite/room/healthclub/etc. But by the 9th, most keys/locks were squared away and you could navigate around with a single key.

The service was great all-around. Housekeeping even took a pile of dirty laundry I had stacked up beneath my suitcase and folded it for me.

Prices for meals/etc. were fair and in-line with other resort destinations.

I am a frequent visitor of the Hawaiian Islands. The Hyatt is definitely my favorite on this part of Maui... I haven't stayed at any of the Wailea side yet, so I don't know how the Hyatt compares... but for this side of the island, the Hyatt is definitely the best. (I've stayed at the Sheraton and Marriotts in the past.)

However, while Hyatt loyalists may cringe at the thought, I find Hilton's Waikoloa resort on the Big Island to still be my favorite island resort within the Hawaiian chain, nicely compromising value/luxury there. In terms of "luxury" alone, Starwood's Manele Bay on Lanai is my favorite ..especially when budget isn't an issue. (I've stayed at all three resorts this year.)
Old Dec 14, 2003, 9:27 am

I am currently in Maui on a 9 night award stay with a suite and adjoining room. I have been to 103 different Hyatts, and this one in Maui more than 20 times. Never has another property come close to treating me the way that this one does, especially on this stay.

I am embarrassed to give the details, and I will not, lest some of you ask for the same treatment. Just imagine every Diamond privileged you have ever considered, and add several more. I have received far more than my status allows.

The hotel is fantastic, as usual. My kids love the new children’e pool, which we missed by two days last year. Camp Hyatt has some activities that make it a bargain and the kids adore it.

BTW, several staff members have told me that Hyatt has a long term contract with the new owners to manage the property (something like 20 years.)
Old Dec 18, 2003, 7:15 am

Have you stayed at both Kauai and Maui...If so can you provide any help on choosing between the two...I am platinum and have kids 12 and 10...I am intriged by the "water park type setting that I have heard of at the Kauai".

Anyones thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by divaof travel:
I am currently in Maui on a 9 night award stay with a suite and adjoining room. I have been to 103 different Hyatts, and this one in Maui more than 20 times. Never has another property come close to treating me the way that this one does, especially on this stay.

I am embarrassed to give the details, and I will not, lest some of you ask for the same treatment. Just imagine every Diamond privileged you have ever considered, and add several more. I have received far more than my status allows.

The hotel is fantastic, as usual. My kids love the new children’e pool, which we missed by two days last year. Camp Hyatt has some activities that make it a bargain and the kids adore it.

BTW, several staff members have told me that Hyatt has a long term contract with the new owners to manage the property (something like 20 years.)
</font>
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slippahs:
I'd be interested to know what people think of the Waikiki Hyatt.

Aloha
</font>
I stayed at the Waikiki Hyatt for 1 night this Nov and was not impressed. We arrived about 5pm and the valets whisked the car away, as they do not have much room for cars at the entrance. We walked through the open-air lobby where, despite no line, it took the check-in clerk 20+ minutes (and several consultations with the manager) to find us a room with a king bed. The valet delivered our bags to the room before we got there, but he left one of our bags in the trunk of the car and we had to wait for an hour for them to retrieve and deliver it to our room. The room we received was on one of the lower floors in the Diamondhead tower. It was narrow and oddly shaped. The bed was the first thing in the room, and it faced out towards a small balcony (the size of 2 folding chairs) that had an indirect view of Diamondhead and a glipse of the beach. The room was dated and starting to look a little run down, not a scary place to stay but certainly not luxurious. The public areas are gorgeous and there are many small and pricey boutiques, along with the ubiquitous ABC store. Overall, it is a decent hotel but I would certainly not rate it as one of the premier Hyatts. While the public areas shine, our room was of a lower quality than most of the Hyatts I have been to recently (Boston-Logan, Philadelphia, New Brunswick). From other posts here, the treatment of Diamonds here is superb but for myself (a platinum) it was only so-so.

On the other hand, we left for Kauai and stayed at the Poipu Hyatt and the difference was huge. We were greeted by the bellman with leis as we drove up and they quickly delivered our bags and a mini-fridge to our room. We were given a newly renovated "partial ocean view" room near the Anara spa. The hotel grounds are amazing, the pools are expansive and the service was good. The only thing we did not like were the on-site restaurants, which had resort prices and tasted awful (especially the sandwiches we had at Ilima Terrace). Fortunately there are many good places to eat around Kauai so head off property for dinner (and make sure to have Kauai Revealed to point out the great places to eat and visit).
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Live4Miles:
Have you stayed at both Kauai and Maui...If so can you provide any help on choosing between the two...I am platinum and have kids 12 and 10...I am intriged by the "water park type setting that I have heard of at the Kauai".

Anyones thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

</font>
I have stayed at both properties several times. Basically, it comes down to which island you like better. Both properties are great. (Some people may even prefer Waikiki.)

This is an ongoing debate on this forum. I personally prefer Maui to Kauai for the following primary reasons.

1) The weather is more reliable on Maui, especially in the Winter.

2) More activities on Maui for children and adults. I specifically started to prefer Maui years ago due to the superior SCUBA diving options.

3) More whale watching options in the Winter.

4) Proximity of other islands (Lanai, Molokai, Molokini) for day excursions by boat.

5) Better restaurants and shopping on Maui for children and adults.

6) Personally, I have been treated better as a Diamond in Maui than Kauai.

Again, there seems to be no consensus of opinion on this issue, and I'm sure others will explain why they prefer Kauai.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:59 am
Suspended

I totally agreed. I love Hyatt Maui, It feel like a relaxing place to be. Regency club floor 21 or 22nd are the best and ofcause the oceanfront view, Thanks to the diamond benefit for that.

Before I thought about the Ritz Carlton at Kapalua for $249 a night, I love the Ritz as well, but imagine paying for that price, no ocean view,club lounge access.What's the point of going to Hawaii and no ocean view room.

Also try the relaxation room after the massage, you'll love it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.