Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hyatt at Key West?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Which Hyatt at Key West?

I am looking to stay at one of the Hyatt properties at key west. There are four of them. Which one is the best? I am not familiar with anyone of them, and I am not familiar with the different labels "Resort", "Vacation Club" etc

So who can tell me more about them? If I like Park Hyatts and Andaz, which Key West property would I like?

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Vacation Clubs are condo's. I have never stayed at the ones in Key West, but they seem quite nice from the road. I checked for you, and there are no reviews here on FT, so you may want to check tripadvisor....or perhaps another member with experience will respond.

Resorts are well, resorts. Extended amenities - ie a spa, (or tie in with one), beautiful pool area, beaches, whatever upscale amenities fit the area in which the property is located. They may or may not have Regency Clubs. most are quite large.

We love the Key West Resort, go there every year, and would not consider staying anywhere else in Key West.

But in recommending it, I must stress: it is small. Way way small. The pool is small. The beach is a laugher. There is no spa on site. There is no Regency Club. My living room is larger than the lobby. It is hard to get in (during season) on points, and almost impossible to get an upgrade.

But the staff is great, the location is beautiful, the rooms are bright and the baths are cool looking. The bar has a gorgeous view, and breakfast in the restaurant is wonderful. The location is perfect- you can walk everywhere.

We love it - but if you are used to Park Hyatt and Andaz...I am not sure you will like it - or even like Key West! Know that this is a tiny island at the end of nowhere where people applaud the sunset, open cups of beer are allowed on the streets, and (during the season) the town can be packed with cruise shippers! I have gone to Key West my whole life, know what to expect, and (mostly) love it...but I know others who went once and plan never to return!

Having said that - I would recommend the Hyatt Resort over any other Hyatt property there.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
great timing for this question by the OP

I'm looking for a week down there too. I am going with my two kids (10 & 12)

Do the resorts have kitchenettes? Where is the resort located in relation to the regular Hyatt?

Since there isn't a RC lounge, I have no interest in the regular Hyatt well that and the tiny rooms
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:03 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Actually there is a review thread on the Beach House Vacation Club property - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html - it was posted while I was travelling and I forgot to link it to the Property Index thread (so this thread was timely).

I would think that any of the Vacation Club properties has some sort of a kitchenette.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
We Were At Beach House

We stayed at the Beach House. Very reasonable considering we would have had to spend almost twice as much for half the space at the other Hyatt.

You do get a discount to dine at the Hyatt on the main drag and they will validate your parking.

We would stay there again.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Originally Posted by peteropny
Actually there is a review thread on the Beach House Vacation Club property - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html - it was posted while I was travelling and I forgot to link it to the Property Index thread (so this thread was timely).

I would think that any of the Vacation Club properties has some sort of a kitchenette.
For what its worth, this is my review. Happy to help anyway I can.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:32 pm

I completely agree with MilesBuilder. The Hyatt Resort is not the norm, and most kids would be disappointed in the pool, the beach, and overall lack of activities. The rooms are not spacious, so you get far more for your dollar at a Vacation Club, not to mention a kitchen and screened porch.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
The Key West resort is well located and very easy to walk wherever you would want.

No lounge, but the Diamond breakfast benefit is the best is the Hyatt benefit in the country. We ordered just about everything on the menu and still had money left over.

If you are looking for a posh resort, this isn't it, but Key West as an island isn't very posh.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
great timing for this question by the OP

I'm looking for a week down there too. I am going with my two kids (10 & 12)

Do the resorts have kitchenettes? Where is the resort located in relation to the regular Hyatt?

Since there isn't a RC lounge, I have no interest in the regular Hyatt well that and the tiny rooms
Just to be clear, the resort and the main Hyatt are one and the same. The vacation club is at the other end of town/island. Driving by, as I remember, the "beach" across the wide street from the vacation club is mostly coral. In fact, it looked like the beach was not a sure thing (in 2008). I don't remember if it's walkable to the downtown part of Duval St.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:17 am

Is the resort available on points?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:51 am

Is the resort available on points?
We have booked the resort on points every year - we pay for one room, and do one on points. We needed to reserve well in advance, because we go in peak.

And the breakfast is so great, we could care the least about no RC. Plus they always give discount coupons (at least one, sometimes more) for dinner. The restaurant is pricey, but 20% is a solid discount....

YMMV

Last edited by sophiegirl; Apr 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
We have booked the resort on points every year - we pay for one room, and do one on points. We needed to reserve well in advance, because we go in peak.

And the breakfast is so great, we could care the least about no RC. Plus they always give discount coupons (at least one, sometimes more) for dinner. The restaurant is pricey, but 20% is a solid discount....and they have always let us use them at lunch, too.

YMMV
my bad, I meant the Vacation Club Condos..
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:37 pm

my bad, I meant the Vacation Club Condos..
Not sure, we paid for ours as I felt under $300 was a sweet deal. The longer your stay the better the per night rate. If we had stayed the week it would have been about 260 a night
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K, Hertz PC
You can stay at any of the three Hyatt Vacation Club properties in Key West on HGP points, but the availability is limited, especially at peak times of the year. The points required per night depends on what type of room you request: Studio: 12,000; One Bedroom: 15,000; Two Bedroom: 23,000. Not all of the properties have all of these choices. I understand that the Beach House and Windward Pointe locations only have two bedroom villas, while the Sunset Harbor location has Studio, 1 and 2 bedroom units. I toured the Windward Pointe property in March and it is very luxurious, but it is also on the opposite side of the island from the downtown action. I think that the two bedrooms and full kitchen do give it an advantage over the Hyatt Resort when traveling with kids, and it seems reasonably priced at only 1,000 points per night more than the resort.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:42 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

You need to call to redeem at Vaction Club properties - not bookable online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.